PDA

View Full Version : I am working on a FFI PC Remake...

Pages : [1] 2

mihalis
03-14-2005, 10:37 PM
Hey folks.. Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I'm currently writing a Final Fantasy I PC Remake.. I'm using all of the original graphics from the NES for starters, and I'm sticking to the original layout of the game, so this is for PURISTS ONLY!! ;)

While I AM using the RPG Maker 2003 to produce it, I have found many, many ways to overcome its limitations--so don't worry--this will be quite accurate!

I expect the project to take a little while, as I'm paying close attention to detail (ie. exact monster formations, exact positions and probability of each encounter, etc..)

So far, I have the following completed:
*Character selection (at beginning of game)
*All 128 monsters (actually 124, but fiends go twice)
*Additional monster added: "Bikke" (other sidequests to come later)
*All monster layouts finished (539 possible combinations)
*World Map--believe me, this took a while!
*Magic system (spells are purchased, organized by level, etc...)
*Canoe works perfectly, airship works perfectly, and ship only docks at ports (or rivers w/ canoe)!
*4 orbs light correctly
*Menu music works
*Scrolling opening titles (new...)

I am including a few screenshots of the project as it stands now ...

I will keep you posted as I near completion of this game.. I'll need people to test it, so I hope I can find some willing participants here! Lemme know what you think ;)

Sepho
03-14-2005, 10:48 PM
Good look with your ambitious undertaking. I look forward to any progress you make.

XxSephirothxX
03-15-2005, 01:08 AM
Are you doing this for fun? If it's for another reason, ya know, it's been done before...Even so, how much you've accomplished with RPG Maker is impressive.

Rase
03-15-2005, 01:31 AM
Quite an undertaking, but it looks as though you've accomplished quite a bit. I'm free to try some testing if you need it. Out of curiosity, why did you go with FFIII battle sprites?

mihalis
03-15-2005, 03:05 AM
Quite an undertaking, but it looks as though you've accomplished quite a bit. I'm free to try some testing if you need it. Out of curiosity, why did you go with FFIII battle sprites?

Are you doing this for fun? If it's for another reason, ya know, it's been done before...Even so, how much you've accomplished with RPG Maker is impressive.

WOW! I'm amazed that 3 people have responded to my post so far... It's only been up for a couple of hours. To answer both of your questions:

(1) I'm remaking Final Fantasy I for the PC because I always thought it would be great if the same options were available in FF1 that are available in the later FF games (ie. summons, more sidequests, job system, etc). Once I have the game accurately remade, I can then go back and add things, which will (of course) be optional for gameplay.
One idea that ran across my mind was an additional sidequest from Bahamut, in which you will get a key to a secret dungeon, leading to a dark world, full of all kinds of new things!

(2) I chose the FF3 sprites (I also used FF3 map sprites) because I plan to add additional *secret* classes in the new 'dark world', and I want them to be uniform--No tiny heads and bigger bodies as in the original!
Therefore the sprites for the original classes are as follows:

Fighter (FF1)
Thief (FF3)
Bl.Belt (changed to Monk--FF3)
Red Mage (FF1)
Bl.Mage (FF1)
Wh.Mage (FF1)

Knight (FF3)
Ninja (FF3)
Master (or Karateka--FF3)
Red Wizard (FF3--and yes, there IS a difference!!)
Bl.Wizard (FF3 Warlock)
Wh.Wizard (FF3 Shaman)

I will probably draw up some new sprites as well...
Thanks for your interest!

**MY QUESTION: Azar--when you say 'it's been done,' are you referring to the official remakes, or a fan remake? If it is a fan remake, do you have a link or something? I have been looking for one for a long time!**

udsuna
03-15-2005, 11:48 AM
Hell, if you're using the RPG2K3 engine, I could help you SCRIPT it a little. I don't know if you're aware of this, but a huge tip about overworld battles: there are only 8(if I remember correctly) encounter squares. Which explains that little area that has trolls that you can get to before the canal is made, if you remember. That strip of land extended into the same square that covers the Cresent area.

mihalis
03-15-2005, 11:18 PM
Hell, if you're using the RPG2K3 engine, I could help you SCRIPT it a little. I don't know if you're aware of this, but a huge tip about overworld battles: there are only 8(if I remember correctly) encounter squares. Which explains that little area that has trolls that you can get to before the canal is made, if you remember. That strip of land extended into the same square that covers the Cresent area.

It just so happens that the overworld encounters are exactly the part of the game I am working on this minute! Actually, there are 64 encounter squares--8x8. However, many of them share the same monster groups, and I am using a world map and 16x16-pixel-tile grid to mark the regions off.. I have already got the troll spot and the giant/frost wolf/occasional tyro spot taken care of...

The way each region (and each dungeon floor)'s monsters are liad out is as follows:

4 groups that appear 12/64 times each,
2 groups that appear 6/64 times each,
1 group that appears 3/64 times,
and 1 group that appears 1/64 times... 4(12)+2(6)+3+1=64 ;)

If you WOULD like credit for helping me, you could work ahead and jot down the dialogues from every person/bat/broom/etc... in each town and dungeon throughout the game (these change periodically with events--ie. Dr. Unne, Sky Warrior bats, etc)...
Write me at djtrixen@yahoo.co.uk (my posting e-mail) and I will give you my personal e-mail as long as you do not give it to anyone else.

Anyhow, here's an update on what I've just finished:
*RUN battle command (Certain monsters do not allow you to run, and those that do are now based on party's average level, and probability, of course).
*Oasis (Desert patch near Onrac) now allows airship landing (as it is supposed to), while still selling the "Bottle" item (those of you who know RPG Maker will recall that typically the airship CANNOT land on events).

I plan to work on the Experience curve next--this is rather complicated and will take a while, but I managed to do it for my Dragon Warrior remake, so I will manage it here as well.

Thanks for your interest, folks! ;) Knowing people are interested in this motivates me to keep working on it!!

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-15-2005, 11:44 PM
Fighter (FF1)
Thief (FF3)
Bl.Belt (changed to Monk--FF3)
Red Mage (FF1)
Bl.Mage (FF1)
Wh.Mage (FF1)Why not use the Warrior, Black Wizard, and White Wizard sprites from FFIII?

mihalis
03-15-2005, 11:46 PM
That's a very good suggestion... I may actually go back and make that change after I have finished the scripting and all of the other important things (in other words, when the game is 'finished').

mihalis
03-16-2005, 12:22 AM
I would like to add graphics for a few of the shops, if I can. The way I have these set up right now is sufficient, but rather dull... They are:

INN
CLINIC
BLACK MAGIC SHOP
WHITE MAGIC SHOP

What I want to do is have a first-person perspective, where you are standing at a counter with a merchant (inn), wizard (magic shops), or priest/cleric (clinic) facing you in each case.

If you happen to be a good artist and have some artwork you want to submit, either post it here or send it to djtrixen@yahoo.co.uk and I might use it in the remake (of course, you'll be credited!!).

I'm including the current backdrop for each of these types of shops (these are all from Coneria). If I do use your artwork, I'll probably still layer these templates over the top. Thanks!

mihalis
03-16-2005, 01:14 AM
As some of you have probably already realized, I have encountered the problem of RPG Maker 2003's 8-monster limit for battles. As you also know, Final Fantasy has several instances where 9 monsters are together in one battle. The most notable of these is the 9-Pirate battle in Pravoka. Here's what I've done to overcome this roadblock... it's one of the few things in my remake that is not perfect, but sufficient:

(1) In the case of the pirate battle, I've added a new monster--Bikke! I modeled him after the BigEYE, taking out BigEYE's special attacks, and changing the stats a little bit--Bikke will be a little tougher than Garland. Unlike the pirates, Bikke will have the attributes of a water monster. He will primarily cast HEAL throughout the battle (healing himself and his 7 companions), unless he is alone. The Gil and Experience you will receive for beating Bikke will be exactly equal to 2 pirates, so the end result will be the same!

(2) In the case of 9-monster random encounters, I typically removed 1 of the weakest monsters in the group, making it 8. Therefore, you will receive Gil and Experience for only 8 monsters.

If you think that what I have done is insufficient, and have a better suggestion, or if you (doubtedly) know a way around the 8-monster limit, let me know. I'm open to suggestions!!

:eek: *** (A little sidenote: I recently read about someone who decided to do a Final Fantasy IV remake using RPGM2k3. It immediately occurred to me that FF4 allows 5 party members, and RPG2k3 limits you to 4 party members... I wonder if he thought of that first. I predict that the FF4 remake will never reach completion if he doesn't find a way around that!)***

udsuna
03-16-2005, 04:58 AM
I would like to add graphics for a few of the shops, if I can. The way I have these set up right now is sufficient, but rather dull... They are:

INN
CLINIC
BLACK MAGIC SHOP
WHITE MAGIC SHOP

What I want to do is have a first-person perspective, where you are standing at a counter with a merchant (inn), wizard (magic shops), or priest/cleric (clinic) facing you in each case.

Too bad I'm crap for digital artwork. Mine's all hand stuff. And the only FF4 remake I know of is a quasi-sequal. It's damned impressive, but does in fact only come with 4 characters. And usually you only get 3 of them.

And if you're going through all THIS trouble, wouldn't it be easier just to break out a ROM and an editing program. They've got some very nice ones out there that let you change (in the process, viewing) all the text for all the various sprites. I'll try and find one out there.

Defmetal
03-16-2005, 05:29 AM
would be fun if we had a remake of Final Fantasy Legend 1.
Except remove the weapon Saw or prevent it from working on bosses (cheap to 1 hit kill every boss, even God)

Necronopticous
03-16-2005, 05:38 AM
I don't want to discourage you, but if you're serious about this remake project you'll just end up being dissapointed. As has been shown with Nathan Lazur's Chrono Trigger Resurrection project this type of thing is not tolerated. If you get to the point where Square feels you're actually going to release the game to the public, they'll shut your project down.

http://www.opcoder.com/projects/chrono/

DocFrance
03-16-2005, 06:48 AM
Good luck with this project! Try not to get sued!

I do have a suggestion, though. You mentioned that you want to wanted to add more classes. Maybe you could add a second class change as a side-quest? Also, you could give the player options as to what class to change into, sort of like Seiken Densetsu III. For example, at the first class change, a Fighter could change to a Knight (better defense) or a Gladiator (better offense). Then, at the second class change, a Knight could change to a Paladin (better offense, white magic) or a Guardian (best defense), and the Gladiator could change to a Berserker (best offense) or a Magic Knight (sword magic)... or something like that.

Let me know if you like my idea - I have a lot of other good ones, but this is your project!

Meat Puppet
03-16-2005, 06:56 AM
Didn't the guy who remade DW1 on RM2K also remake FF1? But he did use better graphics. I'm not trying to discourage you. Good luck.

And yeah, the law'll probably be a bitch. Or whatever.

udsuna
03-16-2005, 07:24 AM
Actually, square's usually pretty cool about this kind of stuff. The Chrono issue was because the makers tried to make money on it... that's a BIG no-no. I think square figures that these fan imitations draw attention to the real thing. And FF1 is a horse that's been beat enough that there's nothing left to gain... I doubt they'll mind.

Necronopticous
03-16-2005, 08:01 AM
They didn't try to make money on it, it was going to be a free demo, not even a full game. Where the hell did you get your information? I followed this project for months, not once did they ever say they were going to charge. The whole project was based on the idea of having it as a free download once completed.

Defmetal
03-16-2005, 08:06 AM
FF1 & 2 Dawn of Souls had a class upgrade in FF1 after talking to the Wyrm King and giving him a Rat Tail. Though it's a FF remake with better graphics and bonus dungeons so, nothing really "new" to add.

mihalis
03-16-2005, 08:53 AM
(1) I'm not using better graphics and a new design, as in the Chrono Trigger remake (which, by the way, looked badass). I am a fan of the old-school birds-eye view without long movies and cut-scenes. Unfortunately, Square seems to have done away with this. Now that they've merged with Enix, I suppose we can kiss the old-school Dragon Warrior series goodbye as well! Too bad...

(2) My game doesn't have the same appeal that many of the newer games have--mine is only cool to purists like myself. In other words, if you want fancy graphics and movies, look elsewhere. Because the graphics and movies are what sell games these days, Square need not worry about my remake costing them a dime. This community is the only advertising I plan to do for it, and if Square Enix Inc. tells me to take it down, well... I'll take it as a compliment!

That being said, I have much more work to do on the game! And...if you have something cool to offer, by all means, speak up! ;o)

mihalis
03-16-2005, 09:08 AM
Didn't the guy who remade DW1 on RM2K also remake FF1? But he did use better graphics. I'm not trying to discourage you. Good luck.

And yeah, the law'll probably be a bitch. Or whatever.

I also remade DW1 on RPG Maker, but I know which DW1 remake you are referring to... What I am NOT familiar with is the FF1 remake you are referring to! Where is this thing? I'd like to see it! It helps to know what I'm up against here....

mihalis
03-16-2005, 09:16 AM
And if you're going through all THIS trouble, wouldn't it be easier just to break out a ROM and an editing program.

I would like to take this moment to thank the creator of FFHackster (Disch) and all those who helped make it. Without that program, this project would be moving a hell of a lot slower, if at all. I will, of course, formally thank the creators of that program in my credits once the remake is finished.

In other words, I'm already using a rom and editing program, and I thought about taking the sprites directly from the shops. But I wanted to do something...different. ;o)

Necronopticous
03-16-2005, 09:51 AM
Refusing to make better looking sprites or graphics doesn't change the fact that you're re-making a copyrighted game. Square-Enix didn't stop the Chrono Trigger project because they updated the graphics and engine, they stopped it because it's a violation of copyright.

mihalis
03-16-2005, 10:20 PM
I'm primarily doing this for me. If someone wants to screw the whole thing up by telling Square about it, then they will only spoil it for other people who want to see it. As for my remake, it will continue--whether or not it is released to the public.

Carnage
03-16-2005, 11:02 PM
I dont get it. If you want to play it on the computer just use an emulator.

mihalis
03-17-2005, 02:03 AM
I dont get it. If you want to play it on the computer just use an emulator.

Of course you could you an emulator! The reason I'm doing this is so that I can add in elements that were never available in the original (read my earlier posts). When the entire thing is complete, there will be a summoner class, summons, extra sidequests, a dark world, new dungeons, bosses, etc...

Here's what I've finished recently:
*Placed all of the overworld battles, arranged by probability and region (of course).
*Adjusted agility for monsters which often strike first (ie. shadows). This seemed to be the best way to express this using RPGM2k3.
*Finished the experience curve! The menu screen still doesn't show the accurate # of experience points, as I maxed out the curve, and added 49 parallel processes to handle level-ups. This means that the # of experience points needed will still be the same as the original FF1. (I will probably design a separate menu screen for this game instead of using the one which came with RPG Maker--this way, you will be able to see your exact experience).
*Adjusted the RPGM2k3 stat "Defense" for each class so that:
Defense=VIT/2
This is pretty accurate--I tested it with several battles, several levels, and all 12 classes!

What I'm working on now:
*Redesigning the magic system so that LV1 spells cost 1 MP, LV2 spells cost 2 MP, and so on... The MP for each character class will be done similarly (each spell level x # of spells), and then multiplied by 3/4.
So this formula will be:
MP=(3/4)(1a+2b+3c+4d+5e+6f+7g+8h)
...where variables a-h represent # of spells for each level.
This will keep the game challenging, and each character can still only have up to 3 spells of each level.

I expect to begin placing dialogues, and start working on the storyline before the end of the week... This will take a while.

Dragonfire
03-17-2005, 02:25 AM
yes RPG Maker, has many limitations, but if you're a skilled event coder with it, you can do almost anything. I was making a FF3j remake, with a full graphics upgrade, a couple years ago, but the team disbanded after awhile so it was left unfinished. We only got upto the part right after you lose Desh. But the entire floating continent was coded with battles and such, including Leviathan and Bahamut.

we also tried making our own RPG with full voice acting, but unfortunately the sound codecs and technology on RM2k only went so far.

if you need help or a partner in this project lmk, i may be able to help. I'm a skilled coder in RM2k which is about the same as 2k3, plus I'm pretty good at map making and sprite making.

udsuna
03-17-2005, 02:47 AM
Yeah, I'm more of a "plot and music" guy myself. It's the writer in me, I guess. Computer graphics... oh how I suck at them...

Anyways, if your updating everything else, you should probably add a whole new set of music scores. I am NOT a fan of the original's music. Aside the crystal theme, I like that... and little else.

However, if someone out there is good at digitizing art (and coloring it... *shudder*...) I can help out considerably with the art department. But I will need someone with the digital skills, B&W isn't likely to cut it.

EDIT: I can't hack a rom worth crap, so... yeah... and the prospect of crawling through all the towns after every major event isn't pleasant.

mihalis
03-17-2005, 02:53 AM
Wow! I am impressed that someone finally had something to say here besides how likely I am to get sued, how stupid this is, how (pick a name)'s remake was better, etc...

In response, I have actually got most of the coding figured out (for now).. I'm just doing the tedious process of copying numbers and stats, etc... Figuring out formulas --a bunch of math stuff! ;o)

However, if you want to help out, I could really use help getting all of the dialogues from the game, who they belong to, etc... While I can do this on my own, if someone would be willing to work ahead of me and get those for me, it would save a bunch of time. I would be sure to include you in the credits. Email me at: djtrixen@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks for the offer... Much appreciated!

mihalis
03-17-2005, 03:06 AM
Yeah, I'm more of a "plot and music" guy myself. It's the writer in me, I guess. Computer graphics... oh how I suck at them...

Anyways, if your updating everything else, you should probably add a whole new set of music scores. I am NOT a fan of the original's music. Aside the crystal theme, I like that... and little else.

However, if someone out there is good at digitizing art (and coloring it... *shudder*...) I can help out considerably with the art department. But I will need someone with the digital skills, B&W isn't likely to cut it.

Well, I do plan to keep much of the original music (better midis of the original) for most of the game. However, in the additional section (the dark world, new dungeons, etc.) there will be all new music. Much of the music I will be adding was written by me over the years with programs such as Fruityloops 3 and Cool Edit Pro. I will make sure that any tunes I throw in are at least every bit as good as the original.

Also, if you happen to write digital music and you want one of your tracks in the game, drop me an email with your name, the track, and the name of the track, and I'll try to put it in.

mihalis
03-17-2005, 04:51 AM
...Just finished making stats corrections for each character class!

Next, I'll be importing weapons graphics for each weapon in the game, and map out every dungeon, complete with monsters and treasures.

Xalioniaf
03-17-2005, 05:33 AM
Are you gonna use the default RM2K3 menu, or use a CSS?

mihalis
03-17-2005, 08:23 AM
Are you gonna use the default RM2K3 menu, or use a CSS?

I haven't really decided how I'm going to do the menu yet. Seeing as how I will need to include a method of viewing one's current experience points, and the default menu will not be sufficient, I will probably at least use a supplemental menu of some sort. Whether that menu will be the only menu in the game remains to be determined. First, I am going to focus on making sure the game runs properly and offers relatively the same degree of challenge as the original. Afterwards, I will go back and make 'cosmetic' changes such as new menus, better shop graphics, and even my additional dungeons and sidequests. I will, however, make sure that all of the information available to the player in the original FF1 menu is available in my remake as well.

Dragonfire
03-18-2005, 01:35 AM
how you gonna do the battle system, looks wise? you gonna use the default or you gonna make it look like the original?

as for the NES script, I'm sure I could find it. I remember seeing it on the internet awhile back.

EDIT: found it!!!!! (http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff1/info/ff1_script.txt)

hope ya remember me when ya write the credits :p

wow this project makes me want to continue my old FFIII remake as stated in a previous post. not to take away attention from this thread, but if anyone with rm2k/2k3 experience thats interested in the project, plz e-mail me at xdragonx425@aol.com

Edit by Kishi: Don't double-post.

mihalis
03-18-2005, 03:02 PM
hope ya remember me when ya write the credits :p

That I surely will! Thank you. This is a great help, and it means that I will be able to get this finished a lot sooner than I had originally expected... No release date yet, but it is coming along! Here's what I've finished recently:

*Finished the Marsh Cave (monsters, treasures, and all!)
*Mapped Coneria (town & castle), Elfland (town & castle), Temple of Fiends, Matoya's cave, and part of Dwarf cave.
*Fixed all of the weapons graphics... Exactly like the original. ;]

I will continue working on the maps, and when I've finished all of them, the game will be near completion. This one's gonna rock, folks! ;) I am quite proud of it.

mihalis
03-18-2005, 03:19 PM
One of the things about the first Final Fantasy that I never quite understood was that certain key items and references throughout the game are in all CAPS (ie, 'Warriors, revive the power of the ORBS,' or 'This door is locked with the Mystic KEY'). Should I leave these items in all caps, or should I make them lowercase so that the dialogue flows more smoothly?

What do you think?

DaremihC
03-18-2005, 03:26 PM
It's up to you really. Personaly, I didn't get the caps thing.

Can I get in the credits for that? Special design team advisor? Or something? :P

mihalis
03-18-2005, 07:00 PM
It's up to you really. Personaly, I didn't get the caps thing.

Can I get in the credits for that? Special design team advisor? Or something? :P

Well, I will be sure to thank 'everyone' who made suggestions and comments on this board, but I asked that question in lieu of putting up some kind of a poll (I hate those because they are so easily corrupted--people vote two and three times, etc). I was hoping I would get several responses to the CAPS question. But right now, I'm leaving 'em lowercase!

mihalis
03-18-2005, 07:06 PM
wow this project makes me want to continue my old FFIII remake as stated in a previous post. not to take away attention from this thread, but if anyone with rm2k/2k3 experience thats interested in the project, plz e-mail me...

hey man that doesn't take attention away at all... I actually I had plans to remake Legacy of the Ancients (formerly by Quest Software/Electronic Arts--1987) after this. However, I might be able to work with you on the FFIII remake-- you ARE talking about the NES FF3j game, aren't you? There seems to be quite an interest in it, and it is quite similar in its construction to the original FF1.

In other words, it won't be too difficult to make once I have this one finished. As stated earlier, I worked beyond the limitations of RPG maker to make the following elements of the game work:

*Canoe--works perfectly
*Ship--only docks at ports (and rivers, w/canoe), as it is supposed to!
*Airship--no longer lands on edges of grass--only where it is supposed to!
*Tents/Cabins/Houses--only able to use these outside on world map. Inside, they turn to grey in the menu
*Menu Music--works perfectly
*Spells--limits on how many spells (3) allowed for each person to purchase, per level.
*WARP and EXIT spells work perfectly in dungeons, except that I decided to charge the player MP if these are used on the world map--I could have not done this, but if you're foolish enough to use them on the world map, you deserve some kind of a penalty!

These things are new (so far):
*Magic system--Unfortunately, RPGM2k3 does not allow you to have 8 different types of MP--I considered making MPs an ITEM, but then the party would share them. I also decided that making LV1 spells 1 MP, Lv2 spells 2MP, etc.. was not sufficient either. So... you will actually have quite a bit LESS MP in my remake than in the original, making it quite a bit harder.

Here's how the Magic system is now laid out:
Each person's total MP will be calculated by the formula:
MP=(3/4)(1a+2b+3c+4d+5e+6f+7g+8h)
...where variables a-h represent the total number of spells allowed in the respective magic levels at that point in the game...

However, the COST of casting will get much higher as the spells become more advanced...
LV1 spells - cost 1 MP
LV2 spells - cost 3 MP
LV3 spells - cost 5 MP
LV4 spells - cost 8 MP
LV5 spells - cost 12 MP
LV6 spells - cost 15 MP
LV7 spells - cost 20 MP
LV8 spells - cost 24 MP!!

Note that LV8 magic will cost you 3x as much as the MP allocated for it. In other words, if you cast a bunch of LV8 magic, your MP for the other levels will drain rapidly.

*SAVE function added to main menu--I thought of many different ways to attach saves to Inns, Cabins, Tents, and Houses. In the end, I realized that one of the most annoying features of FF1 was that you couldn't just save anywhere on the world map whenever you wanted to. I decided there was no point in preserving one of the game's major flaws. So... Now you can save anywhere on the world map!

Xalioniaf
03-20-2005, 01:23 AM
If you open up FF1 ROM with FF Hackster, you could find out the MP totals for each Lv. I.E. At Lv4, A BM would get 1 Point in Lv. 1, 1 Point in Lv. 2, etc. I could do it for you if you'd like me to. I'll get all the other info as well(HP at each lv., defense at each lv. etc).

EDIT: I just realised that you've already been using it, but if you don't have the numbers yet because you're working on other things, I'd be happy to get them for you. On a side note, if this is gonna be "for purists only", you might wanna leave the caps lock on all the event items.

rubicant
03-20-2005, 03:43 AM
One of the things about the first Final Fantasy that I never quite understood was that certain key items and references throughout the game are in all CAPS (ie, 'Warriors, revive the power of the ORBS,' or 'This door is locked with the Mystic KEY'). Should I leave these items in all caps, or should I make them lowercase so that the dialogue flows more smoothly?

What do you think?

I think you should type it like this: "Xxxxxx Xxxx" Except for 'ORBS.' I just have an OCD about typing and everything just has to perfect.

Del Murder
03-20-2005, 07:12 PM
mihalis: Please don't make multiple posts in a row. Use the edit/delete button under you rpost to add more.

mihalis
03-21-2005, 07:48 AM
If you open up FF1 ROM with FF Hackster, you could find out the MP totals for each Lv. I.E. At Lv4, A BM would get 1 Point in Lv. 1, 1 Point in Lv. 2, etc. I could do it for you if you'd like me to. I'll get all the other info as well(HP at each lv., defense at each lv. etc).

EDIT: I just realised that you've already been using it, but if you don't have the numbers yet because you're working on other things, I'd be happy to get them for you. On a side note, if this is gonna be "for purists only", you might wanna leave the caps lock on all the event items.

I have already got the numbers--and believe me, it was quite time consuming, even with FFHackster! The numbers are all in the game already, and I just finished mapping out all of the towns, complete with sprites & shops. Now, I just have to do the remaining dungeons & the dialogue. After that, well... it will be 'done'. Then I will go back and add my bonus dungeons, secret classes, bosses, etc...

My Spring Break just ended, so progress will be much slower than it has been. Assuming I have time to work on it, I expect this project to be finished (or at least in the final stages) by the end of April. As soon as it's done, I will post here. This will be probably be my last post until then. Take care, and thank you (everyone) for your help!

Bacon-bits
03-21-2005, 11:01 AM
Good job so far! Love what you're doing here. Can't wait to try it out.

Dragonfire
03-22-2005, 01:10 AM
you ARE talking about the NES FF3j game, aren't you?

yeah... once i retreive it from my old computer, i could start it again. It would piss me off severely if they dont let me get it. It's everything coded from the beginning upto owen tower. plus the leviathan and bahamut fights. also all the maps are made but everything after the floating continent isn't coded yet.

masterriven
03-22-2005, 07:56 PM

Are you joking? That music is classic man...I'm sorry, I cant agree with ya there -- I think you have to keep the original music.

Bacon-bits
03-23-2005, 02:14 AM

Are you joking? That music is classic man...I'm sorry, I cant agree with ya there -- I think you have to keep the original music.

I'm not a big fan of the orinigal music either. I find most of it alright but there are a few songs that I really like. But considering that this game is designed with "purists" in mind, perhaps keeping the orinigal music is in order.

mihalis
03-24-2005, 01:13 AM
Hey folks... I know I said I wouldn't post here until I had the game finished (which I don't), but there was something I just had to share with you, and I wanted to respond to your posts.

I'm not a big fan of the orinigal music either. I find most of it alright but there are a few songs that I really like. But considering that this game is designed with "purists" in mind, perhaps keeping the orinigal music is in order.

I have already decided to keep the original music, but I am also adding new music, primarily in the new Bonus World...which brings me to my next point!

I have finished part of the new Bonus World map and I wanted to let you sneak a peek at it! I'm trying to make the new maps with the same degree of intricacy as the ones in the original. That being said, have a look... (Tell me what you think!)

Bacon-bits
03-24-2005, 01:24 AM
Keep up the good work!

strawberryman
03-24-2005, 02:36 AM
Looks pretty interesting. Dare I ask how you get into and out of this "bonus world"?

Sephex
03-24-2005, 06:31 AM
Very interesting. I might have to try this out when you are done with it.

Xalioniaf
03-25-2005, 04:11 AM
I think that the bonus world is a new island. It looks kind of small to be an entire world.

Rase
03-25-2005, 04:48 AM
I have finished part of the new Bonus World map and I wanted to let you sneak a peek at it!

I think that's only a piece of the whole thing.

b0x0rzkirb0
03-26-2005, 06:27 PM
A small suggestion: For this "Dark World" idea you mentioned...you can have all the regular classes transform to their dark counterparts.

Fighter/Knight: Dark Fighter/Dark Knight: Uses Dark Swords instead of Knight Swords, Knight has level 1-3 Black Magic. (Mystic Knight FF3j sprites?)

Thief/Ninja: Rogue/Overlord: Pretty similar to the Thief, but more of a preference to knives. Overlord has levels 1-4 Black Magic. (Kinda stumped in terms of sprite use...something dark elf-ish)

Monk/Master: Savage/Berserker: Ferocious guy. Can use Claws to aid his bare-handed attack. (Try the Viking FF3j sprite)

Red Mage/Red Wizard: Dark Mage/Dark Wizard: Forgot some of the higher White-level Magics and dabbled more in Black Magic. Mage can learn up to Level 6 Black Magic, but only Level 3 White Magic. Wizard can go to level 8 Black Magic (he can't use NUKE) and level 4 White Magic.

White Mage/White Wizard: :mad: Alright, it's gonna be kind of hard to convert a pure White Mage into Dark form. How about a fighter/mage that focuses on taking life from enemies and giving it to allies? That's all I can drop.

Black Mage/Black Wizard: He's dark enough.

Dragonfire
03-26-2005, 06:43 PM
well with the "dark" white wizard (not a clue what to call him/her) you can make it where she has alot of offensive spells like harm for example. Maybe give her divine enhancement spells for weapons and evasion, etc. You could make spells that inflict divine damage (caus in rpg worlds, there are evil gods). If he's gonna make a "dark world" all he needs to do is pick up a Dungeons and Dragons player handbook to get ideas about making an evil cleric.

when i was making my own rpg after the ff3j project started to disband, thats what i did, because in my game you played as the evil characters. i wanted to make that, because you never see that that much in rpgs.

Bacon-bits
03-26-2005, 06:48 PM
Well could make the "dark while wizard" a dark priest. Could call a "dark black wizard" a warlock.

KoShiatar
03-26-2005, 09:01 PM
I think that CAPS were used to make the player undetstand that the item (or event or whatsoever) they were talking about was somewhat important for the completion of the game and should be remembered. So, I think youy sould stick with that (or else write those names in a different color or find another way to make them more visible).

By the way, good luck with your project ;)

Captain Maxx Power
03-27-2005, 12:16 AM
How long before this project gets shut down by Squenix for legal reasons?

Xalioniaf
03-27-2005, 06:19 AM
I doubt it. First of all, there are billions of other FF remakes SE could go after. After looking thru the Chrono Ressurection for a while, I noticed that they planned to sell it on the Gamecube and X-Box. They got shut down because of that.

nik0tine
03-27-2005, 11:40 AM
You might as well just cease and desist right now.

Xalioniaf
03-27-2005, 11:38 PM
what the hell are you talking about? He's not planning on selling it, he's just gonna release it to the world. As I said before, this is one in a billion+1 FF remakes out there, so why would they target one on a FF fan site?

mihalis
03-28-2005, 02:19 AM
.. grrrr!!! Okay, for those of you who have been very encouraging, I appreciate it! You have not been forgotten (Dragonfire and others), and i will make note of it in the closing credits when the project is finished! As for comments like 'you might as well cease and desist right now,' I have come entirely too far to quit, and I'm not even considering it! That being said, here's my progress so far:

*Vehicles all work (of course)
*All town maps and castles finished, complete with dialogue (of course)
*Dungeons finished:
(1) Marsh Cave
(2) Earth Cave
(3) Titan's Tunnel
(4) Gurgu Volcano
(5) Ice Cave

Left to do:
(1) Waterfall
(2) Sea Shrine **ugh!--this will be hard**
(3) Mirage Tower/Sky Castle
(4) Castle of Ordeals
(5) Temple of Fiends-Revisited **ugh!, again**

*NOTE on the new class system:
-I like the idea of dark classes, and will make them available, but not automatic. In other words, you'll have to earn each class individually. There will be a Dark Knight quest, a Summoner quest, a Sage quest, and so on...
For the Sage quest, I was thinking of building a dungeon which only wizards could enter--Red Wizards, Black Wizards, White Wizards, and maybe Summoners... You would have to enter ALONE. One wizard would have to complete the dungeon solo--the monsters, of course, would be capable of being defeated by a solo wizard, although I haven't decided what they will be yet.

In order to return to the 'normal' world, you will have to go through a cave filled with.... guess what??? Malboros!!! Lots of 'em! ;) The Light Warriors will stink so much of 'bad breath' when they return... ah ;)

I'm still keeping the end of April as the completion date! I hope that I come through as promised... Until then, thanks for the (positive) input!

Bacon-bits
03-28-2005, 08:19 AM
I, for one, still think this is a great idea. Square-Enix may be anal-retentive and greedy but if they try to stop all the little projects like this they're going to have their hands full.

Captain Maxx Power
03-28-2005, 10:45 AM
I was being faecious my man. Chill out! I am looking forward to this, I was taking a jab at SE's backward, anti-fan mentality.

Xalioniaf
03-28-2005, 11:37 PM
I liek the idea of earning them, but what if you don't have a mage/wizard, but want to try out the summoner/etc. quest anyway?

mihalis
03-28-2005, 11:45 PM
I was being faecious my man. Chill out! I am looking forward to this, I was taking a jab at SE's backward, anti-fan mentality.

Heh... well, have you ever heard of White Wolf games (Vampire the Masquerade)? A few years ago, they decided to attack their own fan club, 'the Camarilla,' a national organization of LARPs (Live Action Role Plays) and demanded that the group disband and stop using their name... Unfortunately, this caused a sharp decline in the company's sales, as the Camarilla was their biggest customer.
The RIAA refused to work out a deal with Napster back in 1999 when BMG music realized that the internet might offer some new avenues for selling music. Instead, they turned on the fans and began suing people... Record sales have declined sharply ever since, particularly for bands that spoke out against MP3 file sharing. Still, the RIAA continues to beat this dead horse.

The only thing I can say for Square-Enix is that they ought to heed the follies of others and think before turning on their own fans. Sometimes that can be a dreadful mistake.

I liek the idea of earning them, but what if you don't have a mage/wizard, but want to try out the summoner/etc. quest anyway?

Well, the Summoner quest will not require you to have a Wizard... Only the Sage quest will. I think it's only fair that only a Wizard can become a Sage. After all, you can't become a Wizard if you don't have a Mage. I am also going to make quests for other classes only, such as a quest for only Ninjas and Knights, and maybe one for only Black Belts (completion of this may allow them to use magic). The Sage quest may allow summoners to participate, which would mean you could start off as a fighter, become a knight, change to summoner, and then become a sage. Just a possibility... I haven't really worked this out yet.

I did finish the Malboro cave (the one which will lead back from the Bonus World)!! I wanted to let you sneak a peek, but I don't want to include spoilers either, so here a few shots of it that won't ruin the surprise...

strawberryman
03-29-2005, 01:52 AM
Looks good.I wish luck to you.
Now this motivates me to get moving on my 'EoFF RPG' project. :cool:

Palindrome
03-29-2005, 02:27 AM
Dude keep it up. I have tried making my own games in the past with different game generators and a few times i just wrote strait up code (usually C++). It is not easy and i for one appreciate what you are doing.

I am not a lawer but i believe that as long as you credit squareenix for creating the game he should be fine and you don't have to stop until you get a cease and decist.

mihalis
03-29-2005, 03:26 AM
Strawberryman, your avatar from ff11 (sorry I haven't played the online game...) kinda looks like David Bowie in Labyrinth...

http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/images/avatars/ff11/ff11_02.gif
''It's a crystal, nothing but... But if you turn it this way, and look into it, it will show you your dreams!'' --Jareth

Anyways, I have the maps working correctly...(remember ''Push B Select''?)
Mine will show when you type 123. They work just like the original, with an indicator to show your current location, and all of the points of interest sparkling... :)

I made one for the Bonus World and it works, too, but you'll probably have to buy that map in one of the towns in the Bonus World. As tempted as I am to show you both maps, I don't want to include any spoilers and so I won't... I'll let you find them on your own when the game is finished.

b0x0rzkirb0
03-29-2005, 10:33 PM
Yay, you liked my idea. I'm such a whore. :D

Anyways, here are some more classes. Most of these are lame and useless.

Comic/Demigod: Pathetic before Class Change, though afterwards, he becomes such a powerful force that a Knight barely has anything on him. Similar to Onion Kid/FEOK.

Guard/Royal Guardian: A Fighter-type character that focuses primarily on Defense. Equips heavy armors and great weapons but has low hit% and speed.

Geomancer/Elementalist: Learns a series of magic that utilizes the earthly surroundings in order to cause damage. This might be super-hard to program, though.

Bard/Minstrel: It's a bard...anyway, I would think he would use Songs instead of Magic, though they would be accessed from the same menu. There could probably be one song per level.

Hunter/Sharpshooter: Uses bows. This gives him very high agility, accuracy, and hit%, although he lacks good HP and Defense.

Conjurer/Summoner: You know it.

Pirate/Sea Lord: Uses light swords and can learn the ICE series of spells. His special feature is that he gets stat boosts while on the sea and in the Sea Shrine.

SnoopyG
03-30-2005, 12:58 AM
Krazy, I like waht you're doing. You inspire me to use my 14 year old mind to make a game myself. But yeah, I have an idea. What if you could add like an airship city in the other world. Tune up your airship like in Need For Speed(Hydrolics Mang!!!). That be krazy. :hyper:

Xalioniaf
03-30-2005, 02:06 AM
I think that if you had the ship sprite be able to go into a whirlpool to it, then set an automatic event so taht the ship goes to the upper world entrance to the underworld. Then, set a switch to on so that the auto event stops. Then, when they go back to the upper world, you turn off the switch so it can start again. And, the Malboro cave shouldn't be accessable from the upper world.

strawberryman
03-30-2005, 02:26 AM
Tune up your airship like in Need For Speed(Hydrolics Mang!!!). That be krazy. :hyper:
Remeber, this is somewhat for purists. ;)
so "Pimp my airship" (thank you for that excellent quote, necro.) is out.

mihalis
03-31-2005, 09:52 PM
I think that if you had the ship sprite be able to go into a whirlpool to it, then set an automatic event so taht the ship goes to the upper world entrance to the underworld. Then, set a switch to on so that the auto event stops. Then, when they go back to the upper world, you turn off the switch so it can start again. And, the Malboro cave shouldn't be accessable from the upper world.

Don't you worry! The Malboro Cave (and the rest of the Bonus World) are not only inaccessible from the 'normal' world, they are going to be quite difficult to find at all! The way the Bonus World will work is that you will need to use a particular item at a particular location (already in the game, but I'm not telling...). This will open a secret passage which is not normally visible in the game. You'll have to look real hard to find it! That passage leads to a designated place on the Bonus World map, and is ONE WAY. The Malboro Cave is the route back to the normal world from that world, but once you return from the Malboro Cave, you'll just appear right by Coneria where the game began. Your sailing ship and airship will also be warped back.

I will say, however, that all four orbs will need to be lit before you can even get to the Bonus World. Basically, you will have practically completed the entire game before you can get there...

WELL... I am almost finished with the original FF1 game! All I have left to do is the Temple of Fiends Revisited, and a few tweaks here and there... From here on out, I'm focusing primarily on the new sidequests! I'll let you know as soon as I have something ready for testing. Thanks again, folks!

Rase
03-31-2005, 10:08 PM
Wow, I must say, your rolling right along. Looks great, and I for one am really quite interested in seeing this completed. Keep up the great work, mihalis. :)

Xalioniaf
03-31-2005, 11:20 PM
Ooo...testing. Are you gonna hold a competition to the death for the rights to test, or just take in applications? This has got to be the first RPG Maker any version game that I have followed from inception to completion. Way to go.

mihalis
04-01-2005, 12:18 AM
Ooo...testing. Are you gonna hold a competition to the death for the rights to test, or just take in applications? This has got to be the first RPG Maker any version game that I have followed from inception to completion. Way to go.

Thanks dude! I appreciate your interest very much. As for the testing (which I foresee no later than a month from now if all goes well), I'd like to keep it within this community until the quirks are worked out... In other words, I haven't been posting on any other boards about it, and I'd like to try to keep it that way (so SE doesn't have the opportunity to shut it down before it's finished).

I will post a link to it when it's ready for Beta testing, but try not to pass it around until we get the bugs worked out. The way I see it, once it's complete (ie. no noticeable bugs), it can be passed around the net freely and I can take the site down. At that point, I don't care where it gets advertised (believe me, I'll be quite flattered if it does). ;)

By the way, I'm from Texas, too! (orig. from Houston, now at TTU in Lubbock)

Venom65437
04-01-2005, 04:50 AM
Wow this seems really cool, I DEFINITELY want to get to play it when you're done!

MarikTheYuke
04-01-2005, 06:53 PM
I'll beta for u. Plz!

mihalis
04-01-2005, 08:39 PM
I'll beta for u. Plz!

Of course! If you want to help test, I suggest you drop me an email at djtrixen@yahoo.co.uk and make the subject line: "FF1 Beta Testing". When the game is complete, I'll make sure you get one of the first copies, and of course you can send me e-mail with suggestions and bugs that need to be fixed.. Thanks again people!

Venom65437
04-02-2005, 05:19 AM
I've love to help you test it, but I am too busy to do it in a timely manner. However, like I said, when it is completely I absolutely want it! :)

mihalis
04-03-2005, 12:41 AM
Well, FINALLY I have some wonderful news!

I have completed the remake of the original Final Fantasy I. All that is left to do at this point is my Bonus World. Everything works correctly (as far as I know), and I'm beginning the alpha testing with a friend of mine who teaches computer science here at the university. I expect to have this stage finished in less than a month... Thanks again, folks!!! I am looking forward to releasing this as soon as possible.

Venom65437
04-03-2005, 06:25 AM
yay! I can't wait!

HackedBlackMage
04-03-2005, 06:30 AM
For the sake of all that is Final Fantasy Please finish this! This looks so cool and i cant wait untill I can download it.
P.S. I know I'll probally get SMACKED for this and I know it isn't a "purist" idea but you should have lasers in the secret world, but they only work in the secret world. they would always be "Ineffective" if used in teh real world.
Come on there was a FREAKING WAR MECH in the air temple (which I always though of as being a spacestation before playing DOS.
There could be a Gunner class that advances to Elite Gunner Class.
But you have to fight alot of War mechs or something.

I know it might not work but, hey it worked for FFvii, and FFviii
PLease don't hate me, it was just an idea. :(

mihalis
04-03-2005, 07:35 AM
I know it might not work but, hey it worked for FFvii, and FFviii

FFvii & FFviii are about when the series began to get crappy, in my opinion--really it started with FF6, when the character classes began to disappear, and they brought in all that high-tech garbage.

I agree: Lasers are not a "purist" idea, and sorry to say, I don't plan to include them... As for WarMech, I always thought of him (or should I say "it"?) as the precursor to the Omega Weapon... Not nearly as strong as Omega, but certainly his equivalent in FFI, due to Omega's absence...

This brings me to another point... I will be adding the Omega Weapon for all who are interested. Its graphic will be the same as WarMech's, with new colors of course, and obviously increased stats! Omega will have everything that WarMech has and then some.

I am also adding a 9th level of magic for Sages only. The spells will be as follows:

*(W)-POWR: Similar to the black magic SABR and TMPR, but affects the entire party for one round.
*(W)-HEL4: Self-explanatory...
*(W)-HRM5: Also self-explanatory.
*(W)-REFL: Reflect Magic... Kinda like WALL, but (as most of you know, WALL in FF1 doesn't reflect spells back to their casters... this one will!)

*(B)-MTEO: Meteo. Nuke and then some... Self-explanatory.
*(B)-TRVL: Finally, a spell that will let you travel freely to places around the world without the airship. Imagine, not having to hike to Lefein! Also warps the ship and airship.
*(B)-DRGN: Caster becomes a dragon for the remainder of the battle--adapted from Dragon Warrior's "Bedragon" spell.
*(B)-CTRL: ...Control one monster! I still need to do some work on this one.

HackedBlackMage
04-03-2005, 07:41 AM
Don't worry I not upset about it. I was only asking. Besides Omega would be even better. I cant wait to see the Drgn Spell in action. Its default attack should be fire breath, instead of a weapon. (great idea about the Teleport spell.)

P.S. A little something i think the other forum readers were thinking.

WORK FASTER NOW! :D

mihalis
04-03-2005, 12:41 PM
Don't worry I not upset about it. I was only asking. Besides Omega would be even better. I cant wait to see the Drgn Spell in action. Its default attack should be fire breath, instead of a weapon. (great idea about the Teleport spell.)

I'm glad you're so anxious to see my finished product here! ;o) Fortunately, I have been taking my time on this, although I do believe I gotten most of it done very quickly (the project is only a month old). I've decided against something I said earlier--the CTRL spell, which would allow you to control monsters... The final results would just not be worth the amount of effort it would require! However, I have finished the DRGN spell, and well... here's a snapshot of it in action!

Dante WolfWood
04-03-2005, 02:35 PM
This seems like its really gonna turn out well, good job on what you've done so far! One Question tho (you might have already addressed it or answered it but I couldnt find it)

is the battle system gonna be a ATB like in FF7? or are you keeping the original system? I've noticed the ATB bar in that SS of the dragon so I would just like to know.

I'm really excited about this, I cant wait to get my hands on it!

mihalis
04-03-2005, 02:59 PM
This seems like its really gonna turn out well, good job on what you've done so far! One Question tho (you might have already addressed it or answered it but I couldnt find it)

is the battle system gonna be a ATB like in FF7? or are you keeping the original system? I've noticed the ATB bar in that SS of the dragon so I would just like to know.

I'm really excited about this, I cant wait to get my hands on it!

Dude, I hate the ATB battle system as much as you probably do, and I would like nothing more than to get rid of it. However, one of the worst limitations of RPGm2003 is that I can't! Therefore, I'll include the option to switch from "Active" to "Wait." This way, if you want Active real-time battles, you can have them, and if you want it to be more like the original, you can turn them off.

NOTE: The time it takes for the ATB meter to fill up will be based on your # of hits at your current level, and so will the monster's meter... For instance, Kraken gets 8 hits. If your Ninja is getting 6 hits per round at that point, he'll still get in 3 hits to Kraken's 4. The damage done in a normal round in the original will be divided by your number of hits, so it will all work out... The only difference will be that you can make different choices for each "hit"--(so can the monster!) This will actually add a degree of difficulty, believe it or not!

I'm also going to randomly place sages throughout the game to give you info about the remake... they will say something to the effect of "I am a student of Mihalis, and I'm here to answer your questions, etc.. etc.."

I'm also adding ME to the game (in the Bonus World). My NPC will be at the castle of Yulthorpe, which you might find eventually... I will give you hints and advice pertaining to the Bonus World at that point (my walking graphic is my Avatar here).

Here's a quick update of what I've done for the Bonus World so far:

*The entire 256x256-tile overworld map
*Malboro Cave--tunnel back to real world (of course)
*Town of Geheimnis (German for "mystery"), seen in my sample screenshot of "part" of the Bonus World map...
*DRGN and TRVL level 9 magics

Next I'll be working on the Sage and Summoner classes, and the "Spring of Enchantment" dungeon.

Drinking from the "Spring of "Enchantment" will be required in order to enter the Castle of Wisdom to become a Sage, and also to be able to use items such as Phoenix Downs, Elixirs, and Ethers (as well as certain other items).

Thanks for your interest!!

Dante WolfWood
04-03-2005, 06:39 PM
hmm, the battle system sounds like its gonna be interesting, seems innovative, cant wait to see how it turns out!

Venom65437
04-03-2005, 09:58 PM
Why are you reading this man? Make the damn game! :p

In all seriousness this sounds very cool, and I can't wait to try this out.

Xalioniaf
04-03-2005, 10:27 PM
be patient, Venom. Good games take time.

mihalis
04-03-2005, 11:20 PM
:eek: I accidentally posted to a new thread instead of 'Reply' ... oops! =O Anyways, I have written my very own dungeon theme for many of the dungeons in the Bonus World, and it will be used in addition to the original ones. I needed a "slower" one to set the mood in certain places, so that's what this one will do!

I have attached the tune in case you're interested, and thanks again, folks!

oh, man. I just remembered I don't have RM2K3. Damn, I need to d-load it. Or get Coby to get it for me :P.

You won't need RM2k3 to play this, as I'm including the runtime package...

Xalioniaf
04-03-2005, 11:44 PM
oh, man. I just remembered I don't have RM2K3. Damn, I need to d-load it. Or get Coby to get it for me :P.

Venom65437
04-04-2005, 12:28 AM
be patient, Venom. Good games take time.

Patience isn't a virtue anymore. :p :D

HackedBlackMage
04-04-2005, 03:25 AM
Man I love that background music.

Your Second world should have a matching storyline, like an extension to the original. Like...
This is were the four fiends once ruled over the people, but they rebelled and sent them into the first world and used the four orbs to seel them there and Garland was the one to release them (He might have been the good guy but turned evil and went threw the Malboro cave to free the Fiends. It would give alot more info about why Garland is evil. So we can get more background on the fiends as well.

Its only an Idea, but knowone else seems to be giving any ideas about the second worlds storyline.

mihalis
04-04-2005, 04:00 AM
I'm quite proud of that background music... Thanks! It's called "Beneath the Crust." ;)

Its only an Idea, but knowone else seems to be giving any ideas about the second worlds storyline.

I have given the storyline some thought, and I have decided that once you travel to the Bonus World, you will find important connections between the two worlds. I have even thought about the possibility of joining them in an "alternate realities" sort of way.

Without spoiling too much of the plot, I can tell you that the story begins with the Light Warriors visiting a graveyard...

It's a pretty exciting plot idea, and I hope you like it! ;)

HackedBlackMage
04-04-2005, 04:46 AM
[/QUOTE]It's a pretty exciting plot idea, and I hope you like it! ;)[/QUOTE]

Hmmm....Graveyard, Hay maybe we'll get to see Links/Chrono's Funeral :p :p Just kiddin, I'dd probally cause Links funeral...not that i hate link, but a high level spell does kill any creature nearby :D

Mittopotahis
04-04-2005, 08:36 AM
Now I haven't read pages 2-3 yet (I will get around to it!) But great idea! I am free to any testing you want. I have RPG Maker 2003, but I'm not that good at it (making that is, i'm fine at playing it!), but if you need any help, feel free to ask. (I don't have FFI, but I am planning on getting DoS soon....when the time comes)

Love the music!

With my new game I've just started (no doubt this will last all of one month) I am just making Job Classes...but Its proving to be quite difficult...

mihalis
04-04-2005, 01:41 PM
(I don't have FFI, but I am planning on getting DoS soon....when the time comes)

Hey man you are missing out on a great game... I highly recommend it, but I suggest you play the original before you play any other version!

NEWS:
I am going to release the a first edition of this remake without the Bonus World, for those of you who don't want to wait for the finished product... A friend of mine is going to host the game, and I will post my Remake, v0.9 as soon as he gives me the password for his server... As soon as it's up, I'll let you know! Still, I strongly recommend that you get the finished version after the Bonus World is complete... Also, many of the bugs which may be present in this version will be fixed by the second version... Thanks a bunch, folks!

P.S. If enough people play the version with the Bonus World and like it, I may consider doing a monthly series of Final Fantasy 'episodes'... Just an idea.

HackedBlackMage
04-04-2005, 11:04 PM
[/QUOTE] P.S. If enough people play the version with the Bonus World and like it, I may consider doing a monthly series of Final Fantasy 'episodes'... Just an idea.[/QUOTE]

Why not keep adding things to the game like even more worlds, and new villians/fiends. It would be cool, or remake ff2/3 with more areas and more indepth stories.
My first idea could work if you could take your save file from the earlier version, and then cut/copy/paste it into the new game so you could continue without having to restart. :D

Xalioniaf
04-04-2005, 11:25 PM
HackedBM, the first quote tag doesn't need a "/".

Anyway, a prerelease would be alright. I won't get it until it comes complete.

mihalis
04-05-2005, 12:08 AM
My first idea could work if you could take your save file from the earlier version, and then cut/copy/paste it into the new game so you could continue without having to restart. :D

I think that's a great idea, but it is going to take me enough hours to complete this Bonus World that I am going to want to take a break when I am through! Furthermore, I am also preparing to take the LSAT, and that is taking up much of my time as well.

As for having to restart your game (in the second edition, w/Bonus World), you should not have to do that... I am trying to keep it so that your old savegame will work on the second version. However, if I run into a problem that requires me to alter the stats of the character classes, you would have to restart in order for the changes to take effect. Hopefully that won't happen.

Anyway, a prerelease would be alright. I won't get it until it comes complete.

I am doing the prerelease on the advice of a friend (the guy who will be hosting this). He suggested that if I didn't hurry up and do a prerelease, that people may just give up on it... So, if you want the "unfinished" version, fine. I will put it up first. However, I still strongly recommend you hold out for the completion of this! I promise I won't let you down!

HackedBlackMage
04-05-2005, 01:01 AM
I think that's a great idea, but it is going to take me enough hours to complete this Bonus World that I am going to want to take a break when I am through! Furthermore, I am also preparing to take the LSAT, and that is taking up much of my time as well.

No biggy, everyone has a life. This isn't an *obsession* Besides if the save file thing works like that it would be cool. :)

Venom65437
04-05-2005, 05:01 AM
As much as I want to play this, I will wait for the full version as well. :)

mihalis
04-05-2005, 09:41 PM
As much as my friend suggested that I put an early release online, the consensus seems to be that people would rather wait and play the full version (which I would recommend). Therefore, the prerelease will only be sent to those involved in beta testing (which has not yet begun--I have received your emails, and you will get to test).

Here's what I've recently finished, and what I'm working on now in the Bonus World:

*finished town of Geheimnis
*finished first dungeon (Geheimnis Tunnel)
*finished Yulthorpe Castle

Working on:
*Omega's Lair
*Desert town of Bomka

Next, I'll be working on a dungeon called "The Pits of Malvicia". I'd give you more information about what these places are (I have it all planned out), but I would rather not spoil the surprise. I hope you are able to remain interested. Thanks again!

Dante WolfWood
04-05-2005, 11:47 PM
that's sounds good, and maybe the people beta testing the "unfinishes" can tell you if they're are any bugs or problems hopefully b4 your done b4 the finished version and is released.

Gnostic Yevon
04-06-2005, 03:26 PM
It looks pretty. I really think the whole getting in trouble for this is probably slightly overblown. FF resources are the most used in any game, and I think most people new to the makers try a FF remake as their first project. If SE tried to shut everythig down then they will be very very busy.

Bacon-bits
04-06-2005, 05:46 PM
Yup, it's awesome. That's why I'm going to help beta test. And SE can stick it.

mihalis
04-07-2005, 09:55 PM
Yup, it's awesome. That's why I'm going to help beta test. And SE can stick it.

Well, the fact is that they haven't said anything to me yet. I'm glad they made such a great game (series), because without it, this would not be possible!

I'm still making slow progress on the Bonus World, but I have encountered a few bugs, and they've tripped me up quite a bit! Here's what's going on...

RPGm2k3 apparently has a bug in the software in which if a common item (ie. a story item such as the Mystic KEY) is selected in battle, and immediately afterwards an Event Command is executed (like my "Run" command--not the usual "Escape" which is included), then the Item will be USED UP! (Bad!!!!!)

Even though the items are in grey and appear to not be usable, this still seems to occur--if more than one person "uses" one of those items, it will crash the game.

Here's what I've done to fix it:
(1) Changed all "Common Items" to "Skill Scrolls" which are infinitely usable, and are linked to a skill which does nothing.
(2) Added the same "nothing skill" to every weapon and armor that cannot be used as an item.

Hence, many story items, weapons, and armor will appear to be usable in battle, but when used will simply waste your turn. They will not, however, be used up!

Another problem I've run into is that characters afflicted with the "STONE" condition still get up and cheer at the end of the battle... Yet, they will remain petrified in the next fight. I'm still trying to think of a way to work this out, and I may not be able to. This is minor, though, and it will not effect gameplay.

HackedBlackMage
04-08-2005, 12:34 AM
Another problem I've run into is that characters afflicted with the "STONE" condition still get up and cheer at the end of the battle... Yet, they will remain petrified in the next fight. I'm still trying to think of a way to work this out, and I may not be able to. This is minor, though, and it will not effect gameplay.

I know how to fix that :D If they are stoned, have a battle event that switches there charater set to a new one that is the stoned stance (Just the stoned stance for every thing on that set. including there victory pose.) then have it which character sets when you use soft.

easy as that! :D

mihalis
04-08-2005, 07:54 AM
I already thought of that one, but thanks! Actually, I discovered that in-battle character set switches don't work!! (In case you're wondering about the DRGN spell, I changed it a little--it will only transform you to a Dragon OUTSIDE of battle, but the effects continue until you revert back again-- However, Dragons only get 1 hit each turn, and cannot use magic--just "Flaming Breath")

However, switching battle sprites during battle is not possible (or at least i don't think it is) using rpg maker 2003...

Xalioniaf
04-08-2005, 01:34 PM
couldn't you use a common event, with an if>then switch.

HackedBlackMage
04-08-2005, 04:34 PM
couldn't you use a common event, with an if>then switch.

Yah that would probally work...I haven't used RPGmaker for a few months but if you need to just ask us to test somthing we can try.

mihalis
04-08-2005, 10:20 PM
First, about calling common events in battle mode:

RPGm2003 has a problem with calling common events in battle. Whenever a common event is called in battle, it doesn't work correctly (there are several posts about this problem on other boards, and it is simply a bug in the software). Even common parallel processes stop during battle...
*NOTE: For several events for the battles, I had to go back and individually paste the same page 500+ times because I had already finished the monster groups database!. This was a b*tch! (Right now, each battle has 7 pages of event commands).

Something quite discouraging happened today as I was working on new dungeon music for Omega's Lair... FruityLoops crashed!!! ...and because I hadn't expected it and hadn't saved, I lost 3 hours of work on some awesome background music... Therefore, I'm probably just going to keep the same cave music for the entire dungeon, even though it has two parts and two tilesets.
**unless... One of you people happens to also be a musician, and you want to send me some of your music. If it is good, I will try to work it into the game.

Xalioniaf
04-08-2005, 11:23 PM
don't let this discourage you. By letting do so, you may give up on the game. Just keep trucking on, and it'll get done.

mihalis
04-09-2005, 12:32 AM
don't let this discourage you. By letting do so, you may give up on the game.

?! Not a chance!!! I've put way too much time into this already to give up. I will certainly not be doing that! At best, I may get all of the bugs worked out. At worst, the ones which remain will not interfere with gameplay whatsoever. This will be a fine piece of work, I promise.

By the way, I am about 25% through the Bonus World... Omega's Lair is complete, and the Omega Weapon is a supreme badass.

Fire_Emblem776
04-09-2005, 07:30 PM
oh god yes!!
a new FF1 i have played all versions exept the WSC but its the same as the pso.

But i hope square wont know about this.

you dont think they shut you down if they getr wind of this?
ONly us members of eyes on ff will know. :love:

i cant wait for it to be complete!!

mihalis
04-10-2005, 10:50 PM
Here ya go, folks. These are the latest screenshots from the Bonus World. The first three are from Omega's lair, and the last one is from Taumisa, the village of Sages (on your way to the Castle of Wisdom to become a Sage).

EDIT: I'm uploading yet another screenshot! This one is from the Taumisa Tunnels, near the Castle of Wisdom (Sage quest)...

HackedBlackMage
04-11-2005, 12:55 AM
This is gonna be one sweet game, Not even square Enix could have thought of something like this. :D

Fire_Emblem776
04-12-2005, 11:04 PM
they are running out of ideas :confused:

mihalis
04-13-2005, 09:00 PM
they are running out of ideas :confused:

Maybe one benefit of the Square-Enix merger will be that Square can now draw ideas from Enix (They never ran out of ideas with the Dragon Quest series, and if you ever played Dragon Quest 6, then you know what I'm talking about...) In fact, I am even considering using Dragon Quest/Warrior "Travel Doors" (those little transporters you step on) to link my Bonus World to the original world.

As for my progress on the remake... I haven't been able to do much over the last couple days because I've run into some problems getting ready for graduation. A word of advice: Be prepared to go through hell if you plan to transfer from one university to another. Having to retake classes that were really bad the first time around is no fun! I just found out I have to take a lab science course in the summer... *ugh*

Anyhow, as it stands now, I HOPE I will have the Beta ready by the end of this month. I have to put my studies first, but I will get this to you (if not then, then shortly after)--I promise!

:D UPDATE: I am back to working on the game some more... I have finished the Taumisa Tunnels near the Castle of Wisdom. Next, I will be working on Summons... Any suggestions as to which summons I should include?
The following ones are for sure: Leviathan, Odin, and Bahamut.
Other than that, I'm open for suggestions...

Xalioniaf
04-15-2005, 11:18 PM
Shiva? Kirin? Carbunkle? Alexander?

strawberryman
04-15-2005, 11:43 PM
Titan?

Rase
04-16-2005, 12:34 AM
IMP!

mihalis
04-16-2005, 03:05 AM
Great suggestions so far...

Let's see, we have: Shiva, Kirin, Carbunkle, Alexander, Titan, and Imp...

Of those, I'll probably use Shiva, Carbunkle, Titan, and Imp. I don't want to inlude Alexander because I've already got a FADE and FAD2 (level 9--I removed REFL..) spell in the game, and Alexander would simply be the next level of "Holy", which, at this point, would probably kill Chaos in one or two hits... NO.

As for Kirin, I want to keep most of the summons as attack-type, so I probably won't include that one (with the exception of carbunkle... which will effectively be a REFL spell for the entire party, so REFL isn't completely gone!

... okay, I have finished Bahamut, Ifrit, Carbunkle, and Doomtrain (Doomtrain is extremely badass... the train whistle is all eerie and haunting... it's great)

Ahem... stay off the train tracks, kids ;)

Monol
04-16-2005, 04:59 PM
Wow dude...i am impressed... :D i respect what your doing regardless of what anyone says :cool: so keep on truckin dude...take care..and good luck..ill be rooting for ya all the way

Xalioniaf
04-17-2005, 12:39 AM
too many colors in carbunkle. You might want to keep it 8-bit. For the most part ^.^.

So...is the special dungeon done? Meybe?

Kargoth
04-17-2005, 06:03 AM
Hey, I just found this topic and I may sound a bit stupid but I never understood how to put events in RPG maker... and well you made a whole game out of it so I am indeed really impressed! I'm looking forward to play it too because I just love FF1! :D

mihalis
04-17-2005, 06:12 AM
too many colors in carbunkle. You might want to keep it 8-bit. For the most part ^.^.

Thanks for the advice. I've simplified Carbunkle... He's now four colors, and is seen in the screenshot below!
Just a little note: the train I used for "Doomtrain" (an ff-8 GF) is actually the ghost train from ff-6. I changed the colors to be the same as those of a zombie-type creature in ff-1 (zombie dragons, zombulls, etc...)

So...is the special dungeon done? Meybe?

I am more than halfway through the Bonus World... The bonus world map is the exact same size as the original world map, and has 9 towns and 8 dungeons... Overall, it's every bit as complex as the original game itself. So it's more than just a dungeon.

I NEED ANOTHER SUGGESTION!!! Should I use long spell names, or should I keep the original four-letter spell names? Also, if I keep the original four-letter spell names, should I apply them to summons as well? (i.e. BAHAMUT = BAHM) Let me know what you think...

Dragonfire
04-19-2005, 12:00 AM
you know there is a patch to correct the awful rm2k/2k3 text

Xalioniaf
04-19-2005, 01:02 AM
yeah...lets keep with the continuous 4-letter. So, Bahamut would be BAHM, Carbunkle would be CARB, Doomtrain would be DMTR or DMTN, Imp would be...IMP, Shiva=SHVA, Titan=TITN...

mihalis
04-19-2005, 01:04 AM
you know there is a patch to correct the awful rm2k/2k3 text

I just managed to get the text working correctly on mine... If you'll notice, the most recent screenshot has different text than the others.

Is this text okay (the text in my most recent screenshot), or would you prefer that I try to find something different?

yeah...lets keep with the continuous 4-letter. So, Bahamut would be BAHM, Carbunkle would be CARB, Doomtrain would be DMTR or DMTN, Imp would be...IMP, Shiva=SHVA, Titan=TITN...

Well, I'll go back and change everything to four-letter then... It will require quite a bit of redoing things I've already done (i.e. going back and changing every instance where a Summon is mentioned), but I will work through this...

By the way, on an unrelated sidenote (sorry), if any of you are pondering whether to buy the new Nine Inch Nails album (With Teeth), I highly recommend it!

Dragonfire
04-19-2005, 01:11 AM
oh sry didnt see the latest ss, nah it's good like that

crashNUMBERS
04-19-2005, 01:11 AM
This looks pretty cool...

What progam did you use to make this??

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-19-2005, 01:16 AM
I just managed to get the text working correctly on mine...I'd love to know how you did that.

mihalis
04-19-2005, 01:20 AM
I just managed to get the text working correctly on mine...I'd love to know how you did that.

Okay, it took me a while, but I finally figured out where my text was messed up. All you need to do is copy the contents of your RPGm2000/2003 "Fonts" directory to your Windows "Fonts" directory. Then restart the program. Everything should work just fine.

This looks pretty cool...

What progam did you use to make this??

Uhm... My very first post answers your question.

crashNUMBERS
04-19-2005, 01:33 AM
Oh sorry... *Reads first post*

Dragonfire
04-19-2005, 01:58 AM
hope i'm still getting in the credits for the script i got you. :P
u can use Dragonfire or my real name, PM for that if you're gonna do credits that way

omnitarian
04-19-2005, 02:34 AM
Isn't there some easy trick you're supposed to use to fix the text bug? There's like, an extra RPG_RT.exe.dat file in the fonts folder or something.

... I think. I dunno, just Google it. :-/

mihalis
04-19-2005, 03:12 AM
Isn't there some easy trick you're supposed to use to fix the text bug? There's like, an extra RPG_RT.exe.dat file in the fonts folder or something.

... I think. I dunno, just Google it. :-/

Yeah, I just copied all of the contents of that folder to my Windows Fonts directory (including the RPG_RT.exe.dat file), and it worked fine.

omnitarian
04-19-2005, 04:11 AM
It's something different than just putting the fonts into the directory. There's a file that RPG Maker references whenever it makes a new game. The default file will make the bugged out scrunchy text, but replacing it with the new one will make RPG Maker generate games with good text.

I think it's RPG_RT.exe.dat or somesuch. I'm not sure, I fixed the problem long ago.

Bacon-bits
04-19-2005, 04:15 AM
Well whatever the issue is, the point is that the game's text is now good. So therefore we should quit pestering Mihalis and let him finish the game :)

And there shall be much rejoicing. (yea)

mihalis
04-20-2005, 09:46 PM
Well, I am happy to report that progress is rolling along nicely! I have now finished the maps for every town in the Bonus World (I just need to add sprites to several of the towns, and that won't take too long).

Here's what I have left to do:

*Pits of Malvicia (I don't know why I waited to do this one, I just did...)
*Undersea ruins of Balornia Castle (Home of a certain summon...)
*Sprites and dialogue for about 7 maps...

I think at this point, I can safely say that the game will be finished on schedule (by April 30)! I look forward to the testing phase, which should begin in no more than 10 days. If you have sent me an e-mail asking to test it, you will receive one of the first copies. As for the post-beta release (after any possible bugs have been fixed), I don't want to set a definite date yet. It all depends on how many bugs there are, and how much trouble they will be to fix. Thanks again for all the positive reinforcement and criticism. I appreciate your interest!

EDIT:
I am seeking advice on how to make the Summoners' quest. Here are the ideas of thought of so far--all of them involve travelling to the bottom of the Pits of Malvicia:
(1) Include a certain well-known summoner from another FF game, as a teacher of the ability.
(2) Battle Carbunkle (he will cast Reflect on himself, then bounce magic off himself to attack). Upon defeating him, you'll get the Summoner class as well as the "Carbunkle" summon.
(3) Include a "Master Summoner" who teaches the ability--not a well-known one from another game.

If you like one of these ideas, or if you have a better one, I'd appreciate your input!

Bacon-bits
04-20-2005, 11:39 PM
I like the battling idea but considering this is designed with purists in mind, perhaps buying the spells would be the way to do it.

I always liked fighting for my summons but hey, this is your project.

mihalis
04-21-2005, 12:12 AM
I like the battling idea but considering this is designed with purists in mind, perhaps buying the spells would be the way to do it.

I always liked fighting for my summons but hey, this is your project.

Yes, I agree... buying the spells is the way to do it. However, summons weren't included in the original, either. I do want to make you fight for the summons (all except Ifrit, Shiva, and Ramuh will have to be earned rather than purchased).

As for the question I asked earlier, it pertained more to how one actually receives the class of Summoner, not the summons themselves.

Bacon-bits
04-21-2005, 12:44 AM
I still like the battling idea. Gotta have some challenge in getting new classes.

JaytodaP
04-21-2005, 01:39 AM
Do you have to have a really up to date computer?
If so, I cant play it.

mihalis
04-21-2005, 03:16 AM
Do you have to have a really up to date computer?
If so, I cant play it.

I wouldn't worry about that too much. What kind of computer do you have? Is it at least a pentium? If so, you probably won't have too much trouble playing this. I'm actually going to test run it on my old 486 to make sure that it's playable. I expect this to run on most machines.

Bacon-bits
04-21-2005, 09:12 AM
Heh, i have an old 386 as well as an old 286 here that would just need to be plugged in to get up and running. When I get one of those beta test copies I should be able to get some crude minimum requirement information assuming anyone will really care.

JaytodaP
04-21-2005, 08:27 PM
Its a 2300!

mihalis
04-21-2005, 09:16 PM
Okay, as far as minimum requirements are concerned, I like Bacon-Bits's idea of testing the beta on older machines. I think most people should have little or no difficulty playing this.

As for the summoner quest, I have come up with a solution which will involve several trials throughout the dungeon. These may include puzzles, battles, and floor mazes, among other things. The dungeon will probably include all of the things which I mentioned as possibilities in my earlier post. This game is almost done, folks! I'm excited about it...

Bacon-bits
04-21-2005, 09:32 PM
Well in that case I'll start firing up my old machines in case there are any problems that I'll need to sort out with them. When the betas are released, you can expect crude system requirement estimates in the next day or two.

Dragonfire
04-22-2005, 02:17 AM
are you including the rm2k3 exe with the game files? I only ask this because alot of ppl who release rm2k/2k3 games usually dont

Bacon-bits
04-22-2005, 02:53 AM
You won't need RM2k3 to play this, as I'm including the runtime package...

Dragonfire
04-22-2005, 04:11 PM
oh heh, missed that part

Captain Maxx Power
04-22-2005, 05:45 PM
game is almost done, folks! I'm excited about it...

As am I. But for the sake of sanity, PLEASE back-up the game onto CD. I can see a horrible thing of your HD like dying just before the release date.

mihalis
04-23-2005, 12:10 AM
As am I. But for the sake of sanity, PLEASE back-up the game onto CD. I can see a horrible thing of your HD like dying just before the release date.

WHOA... bad Karma!! Good thing I don't believe in that stuff... (knock on wood)... hehe ;)
I'm keeping backups of everything. I'm not concerned about losing my work.

Here's a quick update for today:

*FINISHED ALL THE MAPS!!
*Finished uploading all the sprites.

Left to do:
*Some event coding & dialogue. Almost done...
*Bug fixes

EDIT: I've run into a few bugs that need to be worked out. These are little bugs in the scripting for the Summon Magic shop (for the three summons that you can buy). I've also run into the problem that even when you are "Stone" condition you still seem to take damage from certain attacks. I'm working on this...

Wayward
04-24-2005, 02:57 AM
in regards to adding a new opponent to the pirate battle... Bikke the healer wouldnt help much, seeing as how the pirates die within one hit...

I LOVE that you're doing this!! but, i'd like to request a multiplayer mode... finish the game then have the opportunity to duel someone with the dreamteam you've made.

it wouldnt take that much connectivity, just a stable connection for an hour- lol.

a duel with another character could take hours- so maybe... NO ITEMS would be a good idea...

i'm sorry if any of this has already been addressed... there are 4 pages of this...

Shoeberto
04-24-2005, 03:02 AM
RPG maker doesn't have any network capabilities whatsoever. So that'd be pretty much out of the question.

Bacon-bits
04-24-2005, 03:04 AM
in regards to adding a new opponent to the pirate battle... Bikke the healer wouldnt help much, seeing as how the pirates die within one hit...

I LOVE that you're doing this!! but, i'd like to request a multiplayer mode... finish the game then have the opportunity to duel someone with the dreamteam you've made.

Fun idea, but not very purist. But aside from that, would it even be possible with RPG maker? I doubt it. Although I am not familar with everything about the program.

edit: heh, comfirmed not possible as of just before i posted this.

Dragonfire
04-24-2005, 03:05 AM
it is a possibility. true that rm2k3 doesnt have network capability, but with the right networking programs and a few dev tools it's definitely possible.

Shoeberto
04-24-2005, 03:21 AM
it is a possibility. true that rm2k3 doesnt have network capability, but with the right networking programs and a few dev tools it's definitely possible.
Yes, it's entirely possible (and really, probably not that hard, all things considered) by hand-coding, but not through RM2k3, which is what the guy is doing.

Using SDL and some low level networking code, a C++ netplay battle of FF1 characters really wouldn't be hard at all with the sufficient knowledge of coding.

Wayward
04-24-2005, 03:40 AM
Request: Link to homepage for this remake be put in the creator's sig.

ive been sifting through this thread for an hour looking for a site.

I'd LOVE the chance to duel someone!! ESPECIALLY IF IT COULD BE ff5~
i have an unbeatable combo~ but... that Doesnt belong here.

request that QUICK/REDx2/METEO be present in this remake?

redx2 + quick = chain
redx2(meteo)1 (quick)2 + 2nd turn = redx2 meteo meteo + 3rd and final - meteo meteo

<3 the product of MUCH tinkering. i'm going to post it in the ff5 section of eyesonff...

and it doesnt belong here. but, can this spell combo be included in this new remake? and if it already is, MAKE SURE QUICK DOESNT WORK WITHIN QUICK~ unbreakable chains are SO cheap.

strawberryman
04-24-2005, 04:14 AM
Using SDL and some low level networking code, a C++ netplay battle of FF1 characters really wouldn't be hard at all with the sufficient knowledge of coding.
Someones already done so with RPG toolkit 2. HA!

Xalioniaf
04-24-2005, 05:33 AM
It's actually possible in RMXP. Someone has made an MMO by having one script run as the server and the other script the client. Along with some old RM2K tutorials on how to make a side-view system, you could be good to go. With RMXP, anything is possible if you know how to script goodly.

mihalis
04-24-2005, 07:22 PM
Okay, I am currently wrapping up this game. I'm just working on dialogue and bug fixes. I also wanted to answer some of your questions.

(1) Networking Capabilities: I had thought about doing this, but Final Fantasy I doesn't really lend itself to multiplayer mode, if you know what I mean... How would the multiplayer mode work? It seems like it would get very boring very quickly.

(2) Homepage: I have intentionally NOT created a homepage for this game remake, which is probably the only reason that I have not received a "cease and desist" letter from Square Enix. I'm trying to keep it pretty low-profile until it's 100% complete. Then, I don't care what happens to it--at that point if Square tells me to cease and desist, I can do so but the game will already be out. ;)

Although I have very little left to do with this game, I also have two huge presentations and papers to write for school this week, and so my time will be more than a little scarce! I will work on it as I have time. Thanks a bunch for your input, people!!
Much appreciated.

Xalioniaf
04-25-2005, 12:21 AM
BTW, We never knew what kind of school you go to. I think your going to a university, because you put learning before fun :P. Hell, if I was paying to go to school, I'd be serious too.

Wayward
04-25-2005, 02:03 AM
mihalis, <3

i'm thinking some kind of after-game is over, match vs other players. your final 4 vs someone elses. it's not difficult to kill chaos- in the original i killed him in 4 rounds...

i'd love the opportunity to fight someone elses party.

i've beaten ff1 somewhere around 12 times, and gotten close many many more.

o, a useful resource is the RPGclassics site. i'll get a link...... they have ALL kinds of info and sounds and monster specs and things of the sort for ff1. if there's ANYTHING you still need, you might be able to find it on this site.
http://www.rpgclassics.com/shrines/nes/ff1/

okey, that's probably the BEST walkthrough, bestiary, character class/spellmap etc around.

they have many mid files for certain cities, and they might be higher quality than the ones you're putting into the remake.

also, Fantasy Reborn is a good site to look at..
http://www.fantasyreborn.com/main.html

they remake ff songs in actual instrumental, no synth. mostly piano, VERY high quality. a few from ff1 too. i'd like it a great deal if you could put some of these in as bonus tracks, if nothing else it will spread the word on FF reborn

Xalioniaf
04-25-2005, 02:14 AM
I suppose we could have someone post their final stats(checking right before fighting Chaos), then after compiling fofty-something stats, you make a special version of FF1 where you could fight those people. No monsters, no leveling up, just pitting two people's teams againt each other. That'd be fun. If you don't want to do it, I'd do it.

Wayward
04-25-2005, 02:22 AM
like an expansion? that's tight! keep it seperate a bit. i can see that working...

mihalis
04-25-2005, 04:37 PM
Okay to answer the question about where I go to school (it's in my profile), I am a Senior Psychology major at Texas Tech University, and I am planning on attending law school. I'm taking the LSAT (the entrance exam) on June 6, and I'm planing on taking a year off before I start law school. During that year, I plan to work as a police officer.

About extensions to the game, multiplayer mode, etc..:
I think it's a great idea to put some sort of extension on the game in addition to what's already been done. I would love to do that, too--when I have time! First, I'm going to finish the game itself (also when I have time). After the game is complete, I might work in some sort of networking capabilities. Seeing as how I'm a newbie when it comes to networking, I'll probably enlist the help of my friend Max, who teaches computer science here at the university, and who will be hosting this game.

Right now, I have to work on a presentation which I have to give at 9:00 tomorrow morning (Language & Literacy Research--Ugh!!!)
Wish me luck, folks--I'll need it!

KentaRawr!
04-25-2005, 08:13 PM
I am a man from Square Enix. Cease and Desist or this entire site shall be destroyed...

All your site are belong to us. Your site is on the way to destruction. You have no chance to survive make your time. Hahahaha.

Kidding. I don't have anything to do with Square. ^_^

If this is possible, could you allow the Player to choose their Characters Gender? Maybe you could have them programmed as Different Jobs, but actually they have the exact same stats, and the only Difference would be their name (Ex: Male Thief, Female Thief), and their Picture. ^_^ That would be pretty nice.

Dragonfire
04-26-2005, 03:42 PM
the problem with doin a duel between teams, would be that it's completely unbalanced without ATB (Active Time Battle) or else the first to go would win. attackers hit the other attackers and black wizard(s) use nuke to finish off the other team. your attacks and spells were set up to fight against the games monsters not other players. thats why you have 4 party members because no one character is stronger than chaos especcially because of hp/mp limitations. for example, if you could have upto 9999hp in DoS you would be able to destroy chaos with one character very easily and much earlier.

if he can find a way to make it really balanced, all he would have to do is make another version after he gets all those teams' stats and make a Heroes' Arena or something to that affect somewhere on the map.

mihalis
04-26-2005, 09:34 PM
the problem with doin a duel between teams, would be that it's completely unbalanced without ATB (Active Time Battle) or else the first to go would win. attackers hit the other attackers and black wizard(s) use nuke to finish off the other team. your attacks and spells were set up to fight against the games monsters not other players. thats why you have 4 party members because no one character is stronger than chaos especcially because of hp/mp limitations. for example, if you could have upto 9999hp in DoS you would be able to destroy chaos with one character very easily and much earlier.

if he can find a way to make it really balanced, all he would have to do is make another version after he gets all those teams' stats and make a Heroes' Arena or something to that affect somewhere on the map.

You are quite right. I remember playing Dragon Warrior Online (SilkWizard's game on BYOND), and that was always the case. In fact, Wizards were unbeatable if they were at full capacity and got first strike.

My first presentation went well, and while I haven't slept in two days, I'm going to work some on the game because I am anxious to finish it.
I still haven't thought of a way to fix the "Stone" bug, and it's somewhat serious (check my earlier post about it). In fact, It's beginning to look as though, given the limited selection of events available in battle, I will not be able to fix this bug! If anyone has a suggestion on this one, I'm all ears!
Worst case scenario, the bug will actually add a degree of difficulty to the game, as "Stone" characters would also be susceptible to death (meaning you'd have to bring them back from the dead and use a SOFT on them).

As for now, I'm just going to skip over this bug fix and crank out this game. I'm anxious to be done! Thanks for the input, people!

Xalioniaf
04-26-2005, 11:39 PM
I'm sure that there's a tutorial somewhere on the internet about it. I'll search for it.

mihalis
04-27-2005, 08:21 AM
The game is now finished, and is entering the Alpha testing phase (I'm going to play it all the way through). The bug I mentioned concerning the "Stone" condition is still present in the remake, but will add a degree of difficulty to the game. I don't think it will affect gameplay that much. I've made it so that if you do get killed while you are petrified, the petrification will automatically be removed, and replaced with the "Slain" condition.

I can hardly wait to share this with you! Thanks for all your help, people.

KentaRawr!
04-27-2005, 10:51 PM
You're welcome.

Venom65437
04-28-2005, 01:16 AM
It's almost here now!!! :love:

Xalioniaf
04-28-2005, 01:36 AM
Hurrah. Hopefully, it'll be awesomely awesome...er.

mihalis
04-28-2005, 03:22 AM
I have decided to do Alpha & Beta testing simultaneously. In other words, I have uploaded the game to my friend's server, and I have e-mailed the link to those who offered to help with testing. Meanwhile, I will test play the game in its entirety myself.

As soon as we get the bugs worked out, I'll post a link to the final release here. Thanks for the support! ;)

EDIT: I recall a quote from the first page of this thread, about a month and a half ago. It didn't seem very relevant at the time, but now it's more relevant than ever...

If you get to the point where Square feels you're actually going to release the game to the public, they'll shut your project down.

Well, I never heard a word from Square-Enix. In fact, I think everything worked out rather well. :cool:

Bacon-bits
04-28-2005, 10:45 AM
Despite what I said earlier, I cannot get any real system requirements on this program. I tried running it on my 486 system (running under DOS and Windows 3.1) and I got the error that "the program must be run under win32" So I dug through my old Windows 3.1 utilities and got my old Win32s program. After installing it I got various errors concerning DLL files and "DOS error: 21" (whatever that means) Either my Win32s is partially corrupt or windows 3.1 cannot run the program. I would guess that if you can run at least Windows 95 *coughsuckscough* you'll be able to run the game. No worries about 5 year old systems.

mihalis
04-28-2005, 09:20 PM
Despite what I said earlier, I cannot get any real system requirements on this program. I tried running it on my 486 system (running under DOS and Windows 3.1) and I got the error that "the program must be run under win32" So I dug through my old Windows 3.1 utilities and got my old Win32s program. After installing it I got various errors concerning DLL files and "DOS error: 21" (whatever that means) Either my Win32s is partially corrupt or windows 3.1 cannot run the program. I would guess that if you can run at least Windows 95 *coughsuckscough* you'll be able to run the game. No worries about 5 year old systems.

I would probably recommend Windows 98, Second Edition or better. By the way, what are your thoughts on the game so far? Does it live up to your expectations, and if not, where does it fall short?

EDIT: Okay, I will be waiting for bug-fix responses over the next couple of weeks. If I don't receive any info concerning bugs which need to be fixed, and I don't discover any myself, I will post the game on May 10, 2005 after my final exams are over.

EDIT (again): I just thought of a minor bug in the Bonus World that I need to fix, and the final version will contain this fix. I will e-mail the beta testers about this as well, so that they don't all report the same bug!

Xalioniaf
04-29-2005, 03:56 AM
I just got the mail, so I'm downloading it on my crappy modem. Can't wait to try it. Sorry for the delayed response, though. I was busy when you posted this, I guess.

EDIT: Can you put up a version that doesn't have the install for RPG Maker 2003, for those of us who have...crappy modems?

mihalis
05-04-2005, 09:51 PM
Okay... here's the deal. I have run into a serious bug with the "Run" command. Basically, the game crashes whenever it is used, after another command has already been selected, then canceled.
I have two options to solve this problem. I could...

(1) Use the default "Escape" command in RPG Maker. However, this would mean that you would be able to run from enemies like Earths or Frost Giants, when you are not supposed to be.

or...
(2) Continue searching for a solution to this problem. The downside to this is that it might take a very long time.

I would like your opinions on this one, as I want to make sure that the final release meets your expectations! Thanks.

Shoeberto
05-04-2005, 10:19 PM
I know RPGMaker 2000 had an option to make enemies inescapable - doesn't RM2k3 have the same?

mihalis
05-04-2005, 10:38 PM
v1.6b fixed the "run" problem... I discovered a problem w/ the HEAL spells, and a few minor graphical bugs. These will be fixed in the next version. This is looking now like it WILL be released on time. ;) Sorry for the mixed messages...

Jakkko
05-06-2005, 10:37 PM
Hey i just wanted to ask dyou know anywhere where you can download rpg maker 2003 for free i only have rpg maker 2000, o and do you know how to change the font on it (i only started using it a few days ago)

nobuo3317
05-07-2005, 11:42 PM
Just search for it on google or yahoo. It's easy enough to find. If I were you I'd go with RPG Maker XP since it's the newest and is even more customizable than 2k3.

Jakkko
05-08-2005, 10:16 AM
Hey have you got any more pics? Those first few were great!!!!!

Bacon-bits
05-08-2005, 02:35 PM
Just wait for the game to come out. Assuming it can comes out on time it'll be only a couple more days.

mihalis
05-09-2005, 11:04 PM
Just wait for the game to come out. Assuming it can comes out on time it'll be only a couple more days.

THE GAME IS NOW COMPLETE (or as complete as it will get)!!

You may now download it HERE (http://max.berger.name/ff1/)!!

Please pass this around, and enjoy!

:D

Black Mage FF1
05-09-2005, 11:51 PM

What is needed to run this? I cant seem to get it to work.

mihalis
05-10-2005, 12:03 AM
What is needed to run this? I cant seem to get it to work.

Which version are you using? Did you get the one WITH the Runtimes, or without?

I suggest you download the 27 MB version with the runtimes. It should work then... if not, I need to figure out why...

Black Mage FF1
05-10-2005, 01:08 AM
Yeah I got the 27 one. What do I do after I save it? When I click it is it supposed to just open the game? Or am I supposed to have something to extract it or something like that? I know nothing about this. So I really dont know what to do.

Captain Maxx Power
05-10-2005, 01:14 AM
Yeah I got the 27 one. What do I do after I save it? When I click it is it supposed to just open the game? Or am I supposed to have something to extract it or something like that? I know nothing about this. So I really dont know what to do.

Open the file with either Winzip or Winrar. You may have saved it with an iffy file extension (my download defaulted to something like .zip%20), so be sure to rename the file .zip if this is the case. If you can't do that then just open the file through Winzip anyway and it should still open.

mihalis
05-10-2005, 04:58 PM
AH... And here I thought you might be having compatability issues! Yikes. Okay.. this is rather simple: Just unzip the file using any kind of archiver like Winzip, PowerArchiver (my personal fave), or Pkunzip (an oldie)...

When it's unzipped, CAREFULLY read the instructions that come in the text file. You can't miss 'em. I know the installer is impossible to read, so I included a text file to walk you through the installation process. It shouldn't be too difficult.

NOTE: If you are having trouble accessing the server, wait a little bit. A friend of mine is hosting this for me, as opposed to a Web Space provider. Hence, the bandwidth is somewhat limited...

Laguna
05-10-2005, 07:15 PM
Im quite impressed by how much work you've put in on this. One minor issue: the font doesnt display properly on my computer so all the "t"s looks like "l"s. Anyway, the gameplay seems fine to me!

JaytodaP
05-10-2005, 09:03 PM
I have a 56k modem. It is taking SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO long to download
(time right now says 10 hrs :( DAMN) So it will take me a few days. If I go online again later will it continue to download?

mihalis
05-10-2005, 09:51 PM
One minor issue: the font doesnt display properly on my computer so all the "t"s looks like "l"s.

You don't have the proper fonts installed. To correct this, copy the contents of the "Fonts" directory in the game folder to your Windows/Fonts directory. Depending on what operating system you are using, you may or may not need to restart. I'm using XP, and it worked just fine on mine without having to restart, although I have heard from other people that this doesn't fix their problem. You just need "MS Gothic" and "MS Mincho" to be installed.
If you are still having difficulties with it after you have done this, I am not quite sure how to solve the problem. However, Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com) would probably have the answer!

JaytodaP: As for your problem with the 56K download... well, it's a big game! I can't offer any quick solutions to make your download go faster. As for auto-resume, your browser may not support this feature automatically. However, if you use a download manager such as Go!Zilla, it will probably work.

NOTE: Believe me when I say I did what I could to keep the file size small! However, the game contains about 50 different tilesets, as well as sprites for every town, every character class (there are 15), every weapon, and so on... Needless to say, that's a lot of bitmaps, and that means a big file size... Sorry!! :(

By the way... As for taking DAYS to download, I just had to download disc 2 of ff9 (mine was scratched real bad)... That took over a week w/ bittorrent, and I'm on cable!

Black Mage FF1
05-10-2005, 10:49 PM
Yeah i figured that would be the problem. Anyone know where I can get winzip?

Croyles
05-17-2005, 12:59 AM
typ ein winzip in google

ff-fanatix
05-26-2005, 04:27 PM
claps vigorously....

i just spent a good 2 hours readin this entire thread front to back....inlcuding all the stupid "your gonna get shut down comments" and inappropriate references to ff5 magics...

i on behalf ov every member on thsi forum would like to thank and congratulate you on accomplishing this in the time that you have.....

ive used rm2k3 before and believe me that thing isnt easy to use unless you are good....and to pull this off....you are without a doubt a very skilled coder.....

ive been waiting in anticipation for this game every second of this thread...and before i download it i thought i would take the time to acknowledge your hard work and achievement....

i would also like to ask whever or not i could host the game on my site......not too sure about this one cos of the copyright with SE and what ahve you....but i thought id at least ask.....

so anyway...congratulations man....ff-fanatix recognises you as one hell of an ff-fantik...... good luck on your future endevours and hope to see some more stuff soon....

im off to give this baby a good run through... :tongue:

Wayward
05-30-2005, 12:47 AM
what's filesize? 20-30 megs is fine, considering. i'm 56k, that's a good 15 hours.

and the reference wasnt THAT inappropriate, Fanatix.
"and inappropriate references to ff5 magics..."

i personally would like to see it in.

yes, he rox. mihalis, i love you. tell me when you're releasing it, and if squaresoft-enix EVER EVER EVER gives you any beef, contact me right away- i will NEVER lose this game if i can get ahold of it. i'll put it on cd and pass it out to every friend i have- i'll set up downloads to go all night- i'll put it on every damn site my friends own- if it's in ANY danger of being shut down. i gotcha back son. :)

mihalis
06-01-2005, 04:09 PM
I have discovered a few bugs in the Bonus World that I plan to fix eventually (when I have time). I will post these changes as v2.1 whenever I get around to them. Glad you folks are enjoying the game! ;)

Bacon-bits
06-01-2005, 04:19 PM
And I may yet still find some more bugs in your game. I have not had the time to play it at all since my last bug report to you.

mihalis
06-02-2005, 01:26 AM
i on behalf ov every member on thsi forum would like to thank and congratulate you on accomplishing this in the time that you have.....

No, thank you! I'm flattered that so many people have taken an interest in this project. I hope you enjoy it!

i would also like to ask whever or not i could host the game on my site......not too sure about this one cos of the copyright with SE and what ahve you....but i thought id at least ask.....

By all means, pass it around. Read the enclosed text file for more info. Just be sure to credit me (and Square too, of course) when you post it. Feel free to link to my page too.

I just uploaded v2.1 which contains the following bug-fixes:

(1) Corrected bug in the Bonus World in which Odin reappears in several battles after being summoned once... Silly me--I forgot to include a common event that turns the "Summon Odin" switch off outside of battle. Problem solved.
(2) Corrected a minor bug concerning the purchase of summon magic (Bonus World).

Please note that while these bugs are present in v2.0, they should not affect gameplay at all unless you travel to the Bonus World, which is a heck of a lot of work. If you don't plan to go to the Bonus World, don't bother getting the new version. If you are interested in it, then you might want to download this one.

Bacon-Bits: The good news is that I have now played the game from start to finish, and it works all the way through. However, if you do happen to come across something that I neglected (that is worthy of an update), please let me know! Thanks.

tell me when you're releasing it...

Check my signature. It contains a link to download the game.

RedCydranth
06-02-2005, 02:51 AM
Before I download it, I have a question.. I'm on a Mac... Is it compatible for mac users?

mihalis
06-02-2005, 08:13 PM
Before I download it, I have a question.. I'm on a Mac... Is it compatible for mac users?

Sadly, I don't believe it is. This is a PC remake, not a Mac remake. A Mac remake would be a great idea, as it would be able to take advantage of all of the sound and graphics capabilities of Macintosh. Yet, because Macintosh is pretty unpopular in the programming community, I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you. Sorry to disappoint you.

I just finished packing up a new gamedisk (v2.11) for all who haven't downloaded this game yet. It will be up shortly. However, if you have a previous version and your download speed is slow, don't waste your time updating.

Here's what's new in v2.11:
(1) Tweaked the Leviathan and Bahamut battles to double their speed. I thought they seemed a bit too easy at level 40, and they are intended to be a pain in the ass until about level 45.
(2) Fixed a few minor graphics bugs. They don't really affect your gameplay at all; I just found them annoying (ie. missing shadows, bushes where I had intended to put trees, etc...)
(3) Added a new weapon: the "Golden Claw". This is the only weapon that the Master may equip while still getting twice as many hits. I thought I made the Monk/Master too weak, so this is a nice addition. This is a one-of-a-kind weapon found in a chest in the Bonus World.
(4) Corrected some minor typos.

As you can see, the absence of these updates won't really interfere with your gameplay, but if you want to download them, you may now do so.

RedCydranth
06-03-2005, 03:53 AM
:(... no FF1 for me.... Unless I walk a whole 7 feet to my left where I can download it on my PC. Aw, man... I gotta move? Lame...

LOL. So, My next question is, What project are you going to undertake next? If you want to make an original game not a remake I'll lend my storymaking talents your way. I have a lot of cool ideas, you have mad skillz in making games, put us together and we got ourselves a spanking new RPG!

I've always been a fan of NES and SNES graphics and think that if they still made games for SNES/NES/genesis, we'd have a LOT more quality RPGs. I mean look at what you're doing with FF1. You are taking an already super game and pumping it full of new stuff and making it (hopefully) a way better game. I'm in favor of people making new RPGs and remaking old ones with updated ideas. Always a plus.

mihalis
06-07-2005, 05:11 AM
No specific plans for another game as of yet. However, I am finally finished taking the LSAT (for those of you considering law school, I suggest you spend at least a year preparing for it--It was the hardest test I've ever taken, and I wish I had prepared more). Anyhow, I get my scores in three weeks, and they will determine my future... Wish me luck!

As for a new game, well... I don't want to use RPG Maker next time. I would prefer to either attempt to build the engine from scratch in C++ (time consuming, complicated, and potentially difficult, but worth it), or make use of an engine which allows for a first-person, "Step" dungeon view (similar to Wizardry and Bard's Tale) in addition to the traditional top-down map view. This way, players would have to find their way through the dungeons the old-fashioned way!! ;)

Anyhow, if you happen to know of an engine that offers this, please let me know, as it will save a great deal of time in getting started on the game. Thanks, and I'm glad you all are enjoying the remake. :D

MarikTheYuke
06-11-2005, 03:41 PM
Could you post a mini-walkthrough for the bonus world, or at least how to get to it? And is there any storyline connectinos in this world? Or is it just plain extra. I can't find it!!!

seein2stars
06-14-2005, 02:43 AM
Startin to download it... very excited, amazing what you have done by taking time to do it...

OFF SUBJECT

any remakes of ffIII?

if so link me, im a newby

seein2stars
06-14-2005, 05:17 AM

i start downloading it and it wont download all the way, it stops, its sucky

EDIT:

I have it downloaded... the only little bugs i see are (but not important enought to make a difference), i want to hold down the command button for straight attacks, seeing people in the shops, i like that for some reason even if it is like the nes version, and a control panal. that would be nice

but i love how fast battles are, very good job, i would have payed money for it

mihalis
06-18-2005, 11:58 PM
Could you post a mini-walkthrough for the bonus world, or at least how to get to it? And is there any storyline connectinos in this world? Or is it just plain extra. I can't find it!!!

OK... I'm not quite ready to post a walkthrough. I would rather someone finish it first. However, here's some hints for how to get to the Bonus World! If you don't want a spoiler, then don't highlight the text below!!!

(1) Make sure you have all four orbs lit (all four fiends defeated).
(2) Go talk to Bahamut again. He'll give you an item which can be used in a particular place.
(3) Search Coneria Castle VERY carefully. If you look hard, you will find what you are looking for.
(4)Look for a loose brick in a part of the castle which appears to have no real purpose.

As for the Bonus World, I tried to tie it into the storyline of the original game, but you have a much greater degree of freedom from the moment you enter the Bonus World, so while it does have "story" it is not a "linear" story (hence, no "storyline").
**P.S> You can actually see part of the Bonus World from inside the Earth Cave, but that is not how you get in!

I have it downloaded... the only little bugs i see are (but not important enought to make a difference), i want to hold down the command button for straight attacks, seeing people in the shops, i like that for some reason even if it is like the nes version, and a control panal. that would be nice

(1) Nothing you mentioned above was a bug. All of those things are intentional.
(2) Holding down the command button for 'straight attacks' would occasionally lead people to accidentally attack when they meant to do something else. It is set up for battle strategy rather than speedy convenience. If you want auto-fire, try a turbo controller.
(3) 'Seeing people in the shops'... hmmm. Well, I had originally intended to include very nice shop artwork, but was unfortuantely unable to find an artist who was willing to help. As for designing the shops as is seen in later versions (the "walk-in" shop)... that's completely out of the question! I want to stay as old-school as possible. ;)
(4) Control panel?! I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Could you be a little more specific?

any remakes of ffIII?
Are you looking for an ff3 (Famicom=Japanese) remake or an FF6 (released as FF3 for the SNES) remake?

If you're looking for an FF3j remake, myself and several others that post to this forum had discussed the idea, but I have since lost track of it. I've been extremely busy with school, leaving precious little time to do much else!

seein2stars
06-19-2005, 04:20 AM

OK... I'm not quite ready to post a walkthrough. I would rather someone finish it first. However, here's some hints for how to get to the Bonus World! If you don't want a spoiler, then don't highlight the text below!!!

(1) Make sure you have all four orbs lit (all four fiends defeated).
(2) Go talk to Bahamut again. He'll give you an item which can be used in a particular place.
(3) Search Coneria Castle VERY carefully. If you look hard, you will find what you are looking for.
(4)Look for a loose brick in a part of the castle which appears to have no real purpose.

As for the Bonus World, I tried to tie it into the storyline of the original game, but you have a much greater degree of freedom from the moment you enter the Bonus World, so while it does have "story" it is not a "linear" story (hence, no "storyline").
**P.S> You can actually see part of the Bonus World from inside the Earth Cave, but that is not how you get in!

(1) Nothing you mentioned above was a bug. All of those things are intentional.
(2) Holding down the command button for 'straight attacks' would occasionally lead people to accidentally attack when they meant to do something else. It is set up for battle strategy rather than speedy convenience. If you want auto-fire, try a turbo controller.
(3) 'Seeing people in the shops'... hmmm. Well, I had originally intended to include very nice shop artwork, but was unfortuantely unable to find an artist who was willing to help. As for designing the shops as is seen in later versions (the "walk-in" shop)... that's completely out of the question! I want to stay as old-school as possible. ;)
(4) Control panel?! I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Could you be a little more specific?

any remakes of ffIII?
Are you looking for an ff3 (Famicom=Japanese) remake or an FF6 (released as FF3 for the SNES) remake?

If you're looking for an FF3j remake, myself and several others that post to this forum had discussed the idea, but I have since lost track of it. I've been extremely busy with school, leaving precious little time to do much else!

im a newby

i mean, what buttons do what? up is up arrow, command is this button, cancel is this button....

sorry for the newbyness

Bacon-bits
06-20-2005, 05:18 AM
I was just getting around to downloading the latest version but I can't connent to the website where it's hosted. Server problem or just my crappy computer?

Edit: Oh and Seein2stars, I use Z for confirm, X for cancel, Shift for Save (while on overworld), and 4 to see the ORBS

ff-fanatix
06-20-2005, 12:49 PM
and if you qwish to exit full screen mode hit f4....

mihalis
06-20-2005, 05:21 PM
i mean, what buttons do what? up is up arrow, command is this button, cancel is this button....

Okay... As i remember it (I'm not at my home computer right now):

123 (in that order) = Show world map (same as B+SELECT on NES version)

4 = Show four orbs... If it doesn't show right away, press it again. It will disappear after you press 4 again or enter/leave a location.

5 = Show experience needed for next level.

SHIFT = Save your game (only works outside).

ESC = Show menu.

ENTER (or action key) = Talk to people, open chests, etc...

I hope this helps! Enjoy the game. ;)

I was just getting around to downloading the latest version but I can't connent to the website where it's hosted. Server problem or just my crappy computer?

Over the last couple of weeks, my friend has had a kind of crappy internet connection (Cox Cable really sucks). I apologize for any problems this (may have caused/causes). He is working on the problem, and it should be resolved shortly. The best advice I can give is to try again later! Sorry...

EDIT: My friend just told me that his connection is back up and running, so the download link should work fine now. Again, sorry for the difficulties!

Nanashi-kun
06-24-2005, 05:34 AM
you actually left the invisible woman inside castle corneria... you my friend are a god.

mihalis
06-24-2005, 04:55 PM
you actually left the invisible woman inside castle corneria... you my friend are a god.

Hey I said this was for purists, didn't I? ;)
Thanks. I also made sure that every monster area on ther map is accurate too (such as the imps on the southern edge of the Earth Cave peninsula and the Trolls/Zombulls, etc. northeast of Pravoka).

I hope you enjoy the game!

Butz
06-24-2005, 05:06 PM
Wow, Just wow.. I've just noticed the topic and read it page by page.. You've done an awesome job.. You've even got me excited about making my own remake, but I have no experience in RpgMaker at all..

BTW, I've spread the link to FF1 Remake site on a couple of forums, I hope it is OK with you :)

hal9000
06-26-2005, 06:32 AM
I'll be frank,
I'm a noob and I was wondering if this is how my text in the game is suppoesed to look?
Because I was looking at previous screenshots and mine looks very bad compaired.

mihalis
06-26-2005, 10:44 PM
I'll be frank,
I'm a noob and I was wondering if this is how my text in the game is suppoesed to look?
Because I was looking at previous screenshots and mine looks very bad compaired.

I'd tell you how to fix this if we hadn't already had an extensive discussion about how to do so. Read my earlier posts (I think around pages 6 or 7).

BTW, I've spread the link to FF1 Remake site on a couple of forums, I hope it is OK with you

By all means... Pass it around! ;)

Butz
06-26-2005, 10:57 PM
I started playing the Remake, I've played the Original, you did a great job on it, I've noticed I minor bug, the game doesn't run smoothly, it is noticeble when walking, I dunno if it is from the game or my PC..

hal9000
06-27-2005, 03:47 AM
after reading the previous postings I am still confused

To correct this, copy the contents of the "Fonts" directory in the game folder to your Windows/Fonts directory.

I have ver 2.11 of your remake and there is no "Fonts" directory and i have both MS Gothic and MS Mincho but the letters are still sqished together and the "t"s look like "i"s

please help me ff 1 was a great game and i want to play your remake like it is supposed to be played

mihalis
06-27-2005, 10:07 PM
after reading the previous postings I am still confused

To correct this, copy the contents of the "Fonts" directory in the game folder to your Windows/Fonts directory.

I have ver 2.11 of your remake and there is no "Fonts" directory and i have both MS Gothic and MS Mincho but the letters are still sqished together and the "t"s look like "i"s

please help me ff 1 was a great game and i want to play your remake like it is supposed to be played

Try putting MS Gothic and MS Mincho in your Windows/Fonts directory and restarting. Other than that, I don't really know what to do. I do know that this is a common problem people have with RPG Maker games. I would suggest that you ask HERE (http://www.zelaron.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=188). BlueCube, Zelaron's moderator/administrator is very knowledgeable about RPGm2003.

hal9000
06-28-2005, 06:11 AM
i downloaded rpgmaker 2003 and installed the ms gothic and ms mincho
fonts from it into my windows/fonts directory. i guess the ms gothic and ms mincho fonts that were there already were just incorectly named.
oh well, at least it works properly now :D

Butz
06-28-2005, 10:13 AM
at what point in the game will I be able to switch classes? :confused:
before or after Bahamut's quest??

btw, the sidequests that you've added is there a chance that I might miss them??

I've just finished FF7, so I wasn't playing the remake full-time, I'll start tomorrow :D

mihalis
06-28-2005, 07:56 PM
at what point in the game will I be able to switch classes? :confused:
before or after Bahamut's quest??

As in the original FF1, you can't change classes without first bringing the TAIL to Bahamut. At that point, you'll automatically be promoted to advanced classes. In the Bonus World, you'll have more opportunities to change classes.

btw, the sidequests that you've added is there a chance that I might miss them??

Yes! You'll have to go out of your way quite a bit to find them. The hints for getting to the Bonus World can be found in :eek:"Spoiler" tags earlier in this thread.

I've just finished FF7, so I wasn't playing the remake full-time, I'll start tomorrow :D

Is this your first time playing FF1? If so, please don't expect it to be anything like FF7. Personally, I think FF7 is one of the worst Final Fantasy games ever made, and is nothing at all like the original.

hal9000
06-28-2005, 10:58 PM
mihalis,
i was wondering how you got the graphics for your remake
did you find them on a website or did you disect a rom
if you did disect the rom is there anyplace that could teach me how?

Nanashi-kun
06-29-2005, 01:52 PM
Awesome remake. It must have been tedious going throught the original and getting the text from all the NPC's. anyway keep up the good work

Butz
06-29-2005, 04:58 PM
mihalis, I've played the original FFI NES version, before I've played FFVII :D

will the sidequests be avilable when I get the airship, before getting the TAIL and finishing bahamut's quest?

I'll check earlier threads for hints.. I don't remember FFI that much cuz I played it a while ago but I think I found a suspicious place in Corenia Castle and the sages are telling info I can't recall if they were in the original, could it be I found the portal? I only need to find a way through

Edit: how about it! I did notice it and it did seem suspicious, now I've checked the spoiler I know what to do..

hal9000
07-05-2005, 05:39 AM
hello,
is anybody still here?
has anybody seen mihalis?
is this post still active?
:confused:

Buster Sword Strike
07-06-2005, 07:58 AM
Love it!!!

After I play FFVI I'm gonna play this for the amazing bonus world.

P.S. I now you're studying for a/some job(s) but have you ever considered working for square? That bonus world looks a lot more promising than the bonus dungeons in FF: DOS.

mihalis
07-19-2005, 02:29 AM
mihalis,
i was wondering how you got the graphics for your remake
did you find them on a website or did you disect a rom
if you did disect the rom is there anyplace that could teach me how?

hello,
is anybody still here?
has anybody seen mihalis?
is this post still active?

First, I am very busy with work and summer school (I'm graduating August 6 and I'm at the point where I'm a bit clueless about what to do next... not good)! So I can't post regularly because I simply don't have the time.

Second, how I got the graphics: I used FFHackster to extract most of the graphics, stats, text, and just about everything else from the original game. It was tedious, but I had some help getting the dialogue, and (of course) gave proper credit in the Remake for that.

As for the Bonus World being better than FF:DOS, well... I had not played FF:DOS at the time I made this and I wasn't trying to compete with it when I conceived my Bonus World. If there are any similarities they are purely coincidental (there shouldn't be though, as mine is an entire world rather than a series of randomized dungeon levels). Still, I hope it lives up to your expectations.

About working for Square: I've considered going into the gaming industry, but I haven't been all that impressed with Square's recent releases. The games don't seem as challenging anymore, and now they seem to think that if the graphics look cool enough, they can take the place of challenging gameplay... Doesn't work for me! Still, I might eventually release my own commercial game. Only time will tell...

Other news:
My friend Max (the guy hosting my game) is currently out of the country and will not be back until the end of July. Meanwhile, I've noticed that his server seems to be down. There isn't much I can do about it until he gets back. Sorry if this causes any inconvenience!!

Take care, folks...

MoonZapdos
07-20-2005, 11:10 PM
That's SMURFING beautiful man! I'm downloading it now!

Butz
07-21-2005, 04:33 PM
after doing the upgrades the mp for my Knight, Ninja and Master is ZERO and never increases, though I can buy magic.. and after level 14 whenever I press 5 it doesn't show what I need to get to the next level..

Death Elemental
07-27-2005, 03:10 AM
Your game looks pretty cool. I'm a fan of final fantasy, especialy any remakes of the first title. Can't wait to download it and play the new dungeons. I got my own idea for a final fantasy remake. The only thing I can say about it is it's name would be FF Crystal of Time and you time travle to fight the elemental fiends. Would have stuff from FF's 1-6.

SnoopyG
07-28-2005, 02:45 AM
so yeah I'm finished with the game and did some of the bonus world. But I wanna uninstall it and I dunno what to do, so any help?

scalper
08-01-2005, 09:44 PM
ty very much man the final fantasy 1 game of farfarfar.com stoped loading for me so maybe this one will work =)

mihalis
08-02-2005, 09:04 PM
so yeah I'm finished with the game and did some of the bonus world. But I wanna uninstall it and I dunno what to do, so any help?

How to uninstall:
(1) Go to Control Panel
(2) Open Add/Remove Programs
(3) Scroll down to RPG***2003***Final Fantasy (it has a lot of gibberish in the ***'s)
(4) Click Remove, and follow the instructions.

I hope you enjoyed the game! ;)

ty very much man the final fantasy 1 game of farfarfar.com stoped loading for me so maybe this one will work =)

Whoa... I would definitely go with a downloadable emulator before I would try any crappy java versions of the game... Although... unlike my remake, the one found on that website does appear to be the original. My remake is actually designed using RPG Maker 2003, and is intended to be very much like the original, but with a few modifications.

after doing the upgrades the mp for my Knight, Ninja and Master is ZERO and never increases, though I can buy magic.. and after level 14 whenever I press 5 it doesn't show what I need to get to the next level..

Eeek... This is the first I have heard of this problem! I will look into it and correct the problem as soon as I have time (I'm graduating on Saturday, so it will be after my graduation)! As for Master, well... he isn't supposed to get MP. In fact, the only thing that really changes for the master is that he can equip a couple more items. But the Knight/Ninja bug is definitely a big one, and I will be sure to fix it! I will also try to figure out why pressing "5" doesn't show your experience for the next level. Thanks.

crashNUMBERS
08-05-2005, 05:34 PM
*Downloads*

mihalis
08-11-2005, 05:06 AM
Okay folks... I know I said I would update the newest bug fixes after graduation, but I'm still in the process of landing a job, so I don't have much free time on my hands! Anyhow, I'm out of town in San Antonio right now. When I get back to Lubbock, I will review the latest bug reports (thank you for informing me of these) and I will repair them and upload a new version. Mind you, the game is still playable in its current version, but it apparently is having some problems. Give me a couple of weeks to fix these. Thanks for your interest and your patience!

Xalioniaf
08-13-2005, 05:56 PM
you're in san antionio (oh and hi, long time no seeing)? I live there O.o. Anyway, I finally put aside some time to finish the damned thing, and I have to say it's pretty good. I'll be waiting for the update.

Fire_Emblem776
08-14-2005, 01:52 AM
oh my this is sooooooo great same look diff music awww.. memories. I never fished it on my cart. only on emulation

thank you !!!

mihalis
08-15-2005, 07:05 AM
Okay... I have identified the bugs--the level bug is particularly nasty! The problem is that RPG Maker doesn't let you create your own experience curve. It makes you use its crappy formula (which I dearly hate).
So what I did was override the built-in curve with switches, so that the curve was maxed out, and whenever you reached the correct experience (from the original game) you'd automatically be bumped to the next level... This made its own kind of curve.

Here's the problem: The curves cross!!!! (at level 14)... Seeing as how I have the default curve as high as it will go, this problem will be pretty difficult to fix, and I'm open to suggestions on how to do this. What I may wind up doing (eek) is using an experience curve that is different from the original game. However, as much time as I spent making sure that the characters were adequately prepared for the next dungeon at each experience level, etc... I DON'T WANT TO DO THIS!!!

This will take me a while, and I apologize for the problems! Like I said, if you have any suggestions about how to fix this, I'm all ears.

Lawr
08-25-2005, 11:12 PM
The download for RPG Maker isn;t working
(I get mine from rmdownloads.com)
But, you should try RMXP its a hell of alot
better than Gameboy SP

mihalis
09-11-2005, 10:00 PM
Well, folks... I am so glad that so many people were able to enjoy this remake. Seeing as how I was unable to fix those final bugs, however, and I've become busy with other things, I'm going to call this project quits. If anyone else is able to figure out how to fix the bugs described here (or any other bugs for that matter), by all means, do it (you'll need RPG Maker 2003, of course). Feel free to post an edited version of this remake anywhere you like (just give me credit, of course). Well, happy adventuring...

Take care!

Elite Lord Sigma
10-10-2005, 01:45 AM
Hey folks.. Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I'm currently writing a Final Fantasy I PC Remake.. I'm using all of the original graphics from the NES for starters, and I'm sticking to the original layout of the game, so this is for PURISTS ONLY!! ;)

While I AM using the RPG Maker 2003 to produce it, I have found many, many ways to overcome its limitations--so don't worry--this will be quite accurate!

I expect the project to take a little while, as I'm paying close attention to detail (ie. exact monster formations, exact positions and probability of each encounter, etc..)

So far, I have the following completed:
*Character selection (at beginning of game)
*All 128 monsters (actually 124, but fiends go twice)
*Additional monster added: "Bikke" (other sidequests to come later)
*All monster layouts finished (539 possible combinations)
*World Map--believe me, this took a while!
*Magic system (spells are purchased, organized by level, etc...)
*Canoe works perfectly, airship works perfectly, and ship only docks at ports (or rivers w/ canoe)!
*4 orbs light correctly
*Menu music works
*Scrolling opening titles (new...)

I am including a few screenshots of the project as it stands now ...

I will keep you posted as I near completion of this game.. I'll need people to test it, so I hope I can find some willing participants here! Lemme know what you think ;)

Sounds totally cool. Good luck. By the way, what are you doing with the music? And if this game gets completed (without you getting sued), how will people play it? Hopefully there's a way you can do this with Square's consent.