PDA

View Full Version : Beating the crap out of games

-N-
03-15-2005, 07:25 AM
This mostly concerns RPGs, as generally they are very easy to beat and even the extras are not too difficult provided sufficient leveling.

Speaking of which, I find too many people I know max everything out in a game and then just fly through it, and then complain about it being easy or just not have the initiative to play it again because they already "did everything". Whatever happened to just playing a game and enjoying the story or something? To those who do this kind of thing, is there some kind of special allure to completely beating a game only to never play it again?

I kinda used to do this for a while with some of the FFs (when I had a project to write walkthroughs and list FAQs for all the games), and I just stopped after a while because it became a chore for me rather than a pleasure to play the game.

Mindflare
03-15-2005, 09:32 AM
Yeah, when I play an RPG, I challenge myself to do everything I can, but only to the point where I have fun with it. If at any point I overlevel, making it easy, I stop leveling. If at any point gathering items becomes repetative, I stop gathering items. I try to have fun with it. As a side note, I don't play games much these days. XD

Dreddz
03-15-2005, 06:36 PM
Yer I kinda did that with FFVII
Played it to death.All the sidequests are done.All mega bosses are done and I levelled up alot!
But I enjoy seeing my characters murdering other fiends.
Shows all the hard work of all the levelling has paid off.
Did the same with FFX but soon it became boring so I stopped

KuRt
03-15-2005, 08:11 PM
I did that for KH. Played the game 100% at normal difficulty, played it trough at normal difficulty, not 100%, just ´cause the storyline is so awsome, now trying to play 100% at expert.

I like playing games 100% for atleast 3 times.

Cless
03-16-2005, 12:11 AM
The only time I ever make a conscious decision to level up in an RPG, is when I'm having great difficulty progressing in it.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-16-2005, 12:16 AM
Years ago some guy here punched his PlayStation with a Gran Turismo disc inside and shattered the disc. He posted photographs; it was awesome. Might have been Cactuar2000.

Del Murder
03-16-2005, 01:34 AM
I don't ever take the time to level up in RPGs, except near the end (Dragon Warrior is the exception). As long as I am able to get to the next area, I don't need to 'beat the crap out of it'.

The great thing about FF is that they often have more difficult optional bosses. This at least gives a little extra challenge. A lot of people do those stipulation quests (like no sphere grid or something), but that's a little much for me. I like a challenge, but limiting myself in this way takes away most of the fun aspects of the games.

Erdrick Holmes
03-16-2005, 02:24 AM
I overleveled my guys on Pokemon. Level 100 to fight the elite four.

kikimm
03-16-2005, 02:35 AM
Whatever happened to just playing a game and enjoying the story or something?

Thats' the only reason I ever play, and replay games. I've never gone out and gotten everything, or do everything there is to do, because that side of games doesn't appeal to me. I like playable movies, interactive novels.

:D

FallenAngel411
03-16-2005, 02:37 AM
I play FFs more for their stories than their battles, so I never put any great effort into leveling up or anything. Which is why I always have a tough time....^^;;

XxSephirothxX
03-16-2005, 02:45 AM
The only game I've ever seriously leveled up in was Star Ocean: The Second Story, and it wasn't just for fun. I got to one of the final bosses (two fights before the end) and realized I had to fight two guys who could take me out in about 45 seconds. I had to gain a solid twenty levels, and won by sheer tenacity and luck...and using items like crazy. I've never really enjoyed leveling up--it usually gets boring, and there's no real need. I have a friend who likes to brag about "beating the crap" out of a certain game, be it an RPG or a Fighter. I think it just makes him sound stupid. :D

Luc
03-16-2005, 03:22 AM
The only time I ever make a conscious decision to level up in an RPG, is when I'm having great difficulty progressing in it.

Yeah.. I'll basically just run through dungeons, and just fight any random battles.. but if I fight a boss I can't beat or somethin', then I'll just level up enough to beat it.

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-16-2005, 03:33 AM
The only game I've actually enjoyed leveling up in is Final Fantasy Tactics, and utterly superior levels don't necessarily ensure an easier time of things either. So no, I don't level up a lot.

Flamethrower
03-16-2005, 03:37 AM
Final Fantasy VII was the only game that I strived to get every character to the highest level. For most games, I just try to get whatever it takes to beat the game and nothing higher. Getting max stats seems like a waste of time to me.

Dreddz
03-16-2005, 05:09 PM
Oh yer Pokemon
I trained till like level 80 and I enjoyed that game loads.
Never really think of it as an RPG dunno why
Best Pokemon was Ninetails or Golduck

Blackmageboi
03-16-2005, 05:15 PM
i dont enjoy gettin max stats and i dont mind about doing the game 100 percent im on my 12th go at ff VIII and 6th on mgs2

Dreddz
03-16-2005, 05:41 PM
I enjoy levelling up.
Like to see my characters wipe out bosses and stuff.
But I still find Bosses like Emerald Weopon in FFVII hard.

BatChao
03-16-2005, 07:40 PM
Years ago some guy here punched his PlayStation with a Gran Turismo disc inside and shattered the disc. He posted photographs; it was awesome. Might have been Cactuar2000.

This is what I immediately thought of when I saw the title of this thread,

I usually don't every level unless I need to. I actually used to run away from almost every battle if I found the battle system monotonous and boring. So by the time I got to the final boss, I'd be totally screwed and that's when I'd go level up.

Dreddz
03-16-2005, 08:18 PM
Damn i'd like to see those pictures,.
Friend one time threw his SNES out the window cause he kept dying on mario.Only first floor though :mad:

xXTidusXxX2YunaX2
03-16-2005, 08:37 PM
I agreee

-N-
03-16-2005, 10:50 PM
This is what I immediately thought of when I saw the title of this thread,
I usually don't every level unless I need to. I actually used to run away from almost every battle if I found the battle system monotonous and boring. So by the time I got to the final boss, I'd be totally screwed and that's when I'd go level up.
Holy crap, BatChao! Where did those pictures go? And where did C2K go?