PDA

View Full Version : Progged Rock

Erdrick Holmes
03-16-2005, 02:32 AM
Any Progressive rock fans here?

-N-
03-16-2005, 07:53 AM
What musical characteristics define this genre?

Necronopticous
03-16-2005, 08:18 AM
I like real, genuine progressive rock, yes.

Erdrick Holmes
03-16-2005, 03:07 PM
Progged rock is almost like heavy metal only more sophisticated, probably with Orchastra in it.

Chris
03-16-2005, 05:15 PM
Like Evanescence?

Skogs
03-16-2005, 05:25 PM
Evanescence is about as far from prog rock as you can get...

Not a fan of prog rock, though, except for Tool.

Oh, and Dream Theater for comedy value... :D

jrgen
03-16-2005, 05:58 PM
like heavy metal only more sophisticated
Like Evanescence?
Haha.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-16-2005, 06:13 PM
What musical characteristics define this genre?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_rock

Chris
03-16-2005, 06:27 PM
I kinda get it now. Grace Jones' "Slave to the Rhythm" classifies under the term.

Kirobaito
03-16-2005, 07:50 PM
Master Kirobaito does not approve of this thread.

Chris
03-16-2005, 07:52 PM
Then maybe Britney Spears is Progged Rock!

:mad2:

-N-
03-16-2005, 08:13 PM
Not spam enough, I think. Inserting country snippets would increase spamhood.

I understand now. I'm not a big fan, although I really like some of the songs that have come out of the genre. Some Tool songs, I guess Pink Floyd fits under this classification as well. Does Radiohead count or is that too far away from rock to be part of it? I personally think Radiohead is unclassifiable...

Rye
03-16-2005, 09:19 PM
Evanescence is probably the worst sufferer of bad genre classification. It isn't pop-goth, goth-rock, pop, progressive, or emo. It's actually more like classical music than anything else, or at least the older stuff is. The newer Evanescence music is more soft rock, with ochestra in some songs.

Ochestra = <3, but I don't really know any progressive bands. Can you name a few?

Erdrick Holmes
03-16-2005, 09:26 PM

There's alot of things people don't approve of. Like pants.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-16-2005, 09:31 PM
I don't really know any progressive bands. Can you name a few? Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, ELP, etc.

muchacho
03-16-2005, 09:49 PM
KANSAS!

I CLOSE MY EYES, ONLY FOR A MOMENT AND THE MOMENTS GONE. ALL MY DREAMS, PASS BEFORE MY EYES, A CURIOSITY
DUST IN THE WIND, ALL THEY ARE IS DUST IN THE WIND.........

YOUR MY BOY BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yamaneko
03-16-2005, 10:02 PM
There are sub genres within Prog Rock (not Progged Rock, Joel :) ). There's Art Rock, defined by bands like Rush and The Moody Blues. Canterbury Rock probably solely defined by Caravan. There's Prog Folk, Jethro Tull being the most notable within the genre. Progressive Metal: Dream Theater, Symphony X, etc.. This type of prog didn't become popular until the early nineties and is known as Neo Progressive Rock (go figure). Symphonic Prog is the largest sub genre of prog rock, which includes bands like Genesis, Yes, early King Crimson, ELP, Camel and Gentle Giant. Then you have your prog rock from specific parts of the world, notably Kraut Rock and Italian Prog. There are other less important sub genres as well.

Early Pink Floyd is Psychedelic Rock, or Acid Rock, which is not considered a part of Progressive Rock. With the eventual release of DSotM, Pink Floyd could then be considered part of Space Rock, a sub genre of Prog Rock, along with Hawkwind, the other great band of that genre.

There's debate over whether or not Radiohead is Prog music. I say no, but it's up in the air for now.

Yes, I'm a fan of the early stuff. :D

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-16-2005, 10:44 PM
Genre distinction becomes stupid when you get into micro-genres that only include a handful of bands each. Therefore your post will be stricken from the record.

-N-
03-16-2005, 10:59 PM
Whoa, whoa whoa. Moody Blues? They sound more like 80's pop to me.

Yamaneko
03-16-2005, 11:08 PM
Genre distinction becomes stupid when you get into micro-genres that only include a handful of bands each. Therefore your post will be stricken from the record.
Actually, there's a big difference in sound for each sub-genre, which is why a sub-genre is necessary.

-N-
03-16-2005, 11:13 PM
Or you could just forgo a classification system and enjoy all music.

CloudDragon
03-17-2005, 05:09 AM
Some bands need their own genres. The problem with genres today is that so many different sounds of music are played, it's hard to classify them all. Pink Floyd's Prog Rock, I like.

jrgen
03-17-2005, 02:05 PM
Genres and sub-genres are necessary.
It would be really hard to discuss music without the.

Skogs
03-17-2005, 02:27 PM
Evanescence is probably the worst sufferer of bad genre classification. It isn't pop-goth, goth-rock, pop, progressive, or emo. It's actually more like classical music than anything else, or at least the older stuff is. The newer Evanescence music is more soft rock, with ochestra in some songs.

Ochestra = <3, but I don't really know any progressive bands. Can you name a few?

Evanescence is nu-metal, plain and simple. Leaning more towards the post-rock end of the spectrum, rather that the experimental side, maybe.