PDA

View Full Version : Is Final Fantasy Getting Better Or Worse?

Dreddz
03-16-2005, 07:52 PM
This topic basically revolves around the changes between the PS1 games to the PS2 games.
Anyone here think that FFX was a dramatic flop!
There are many reasons for this.....
they lost the world map which I thought was a good thing in installments before.People may disagree with me but I loved it and just setting locations without having the fun of finding it yourself let me down alot.The leveling up system was horrible.The sphere grid was rubbish.Although they brought back the level system in FFX-2
( *shivers* ) that game was an all time low for the series.The series always kept a strong long going should I say tradition to always bring up a completely new storyline to a new game. And they couldnt even make the sequel work. And in FFXII which I have yet to play has lost the random battles. OK I know lots of people despise the random battles they were always there and brought the FF feel into the game.I mean come on.The new head for FF is really changing the series for the worse.Hes probably a secret undercover worker for Namco who wants to ruin Squares success. I mean by the time say FFXIX comes out the game will probably resemble Devil May Cry rather than the previous FF games

TheAbominatrix
03-16-2005, 07:58 PM
Ah, more talk about the 'feel'. It isnt random battles that make FF what it is. Really, I think it's very senseless to complain about a game that hasnt come out yet.

If we're talking about steering away from tradition, guess what that began mainly with the PS1 games. Or really, with the SNES games.

People will always complain about Square. They're either not changing enough and thereby running out of ideas, or changing too much and 'selling out'.

The 'feel' everyone moans about is highly subjective and has very little to do with the games themselves. For me, this 'feel' was gone when I played VIII and IX. It came back with X which I thought was wonderful.

As long as FF exists, it's going to grow and try new things. I dont wanna play 20 different stories with the exact same battles, magic systems, and other dynamics. I want my games to be different, and if I didnt well I could sit alone and play the same games over and over again.

About sequels now... X warranted a sequel. That's why they did it for the first time. They had planned that from the beginning. If it was VII that had the first one, would you complain? Or would it be a masterpiece.

The constant worries and complaining about XII really make me wanna stay out of the game forums completly. The game isnt out yet. If you dont like it when it does come out, after you play it, then complain. If not, worrying and whining about something you havent played seems silly. I understand that any break from tradition warrants fear and worry. But maybe, just maybe, we'll get a wonderful game and a great battle system out of it.

Dreddz
03-16-2005, 08:08 PM
What im saying is that the changes are for worse than good
People will say the world map should go
the random battles should go
I should go

DJZen
03-16-2005, 08:09 PM
Final Fantasy is continuing. Quality is something that only exists in our minds.

Dreddz
03-16-2005, 08:11 PM
Final Fantasy is continuing. Quality is something that only exists in our minds.

Good Point

Masamune·1600
03-16-2005, 08:14 PM
I am very confident that FFXII will be an absolutely incredible game. As to the random battle issue, it's worth noting that both Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross featured non-random battles. Although FFXII's system will be markedly different, you can't dismiss the fact that those two masterpieces had no random fights.

Dreddz
03-16-2005, 08:36 PM
As to the random battle issue, it's worth noting that both Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross featured non-random battles. Although FFXII's system will be markedly different, you can't dismiss the fact that those two masterpieces had no random fights.

Neither of those were released in the UK
Grandia had no Random battles and I prefered FF for lots of reasons and one of them was because of no random battles

TheAbominatrix
03-16-2005, 08:41 PM
You're saying that you think the changes are for the worse rather than for the better. Many gamers are happy for the changes, many arent. Not everyone can be satisfied.

Try downloading the rom of Chrono Trigger. It's an amazing game and the battles were the best part.

One of the things I dislike in RPGs is random battles. In IX especially. I couldnt walk two feet without a battle, and in many dungeons it left me confused as to which way I was going before the battle, which meant me getting lost, which meant more random battles.

AoiSora
03-16-2005, 09:07 PM
Personally, I always liked the random battles. But I hardly think that their presence/absence makes or breaks the game.

But yes, the games have changed, and they will only continue to change. IMHO, there hasn't really been a bad game yet. Some I like more than others, but that's only personal preferences, and I still like them.

But come on, think, are the changes really that bad? They're still coming up with the same great storylines, and to me, that's always been where "the feel" came from. Granted the style of the storylines has changed a bit. My favorites are still FF4, 6, and 7.

And please, do give FF12 a chance. Who's to say that it won't be wonderful when it isn't even out yet?

Alice
03-16-2005, 09:18 PM
hm.. can anyone really say if its getting better or worse? I think thats like saying theres a slope.. when really its a rollercoaster... You cant be sure cuz if they come out with something great next... they just messed with the idea of getting worse... :P

rubah
03-17-2005, 12:08 AM
I think ff12 looks friggin' awesome. There's gonna be like, weather and motion/scent/vibration sensors and stuff.

I also have no love lost for there not being a world map in ffx. I managed to get quite lost enough in macalania the first time I played^_^

(and something I've been wondering recently. . . Does anyone actually use the airship coordinates lookingfor thing? or try to solve the al bhed puzzles and stuff? Because if you just get the stuff off a faq or a walkthrough, why should you complain? I'm sure there probably are people that do that and still have issues, and that's fine.)

some people just get mad that each game isn't exactly the same. and somehow, people get mad because they're all the same. strangely enough, the same goes for movies and stuff. People just can't be satisfied, or something.

Yuffie514
03-17-2005, 12:57 AM
well, there are things i don't like about each FF :p , but i never take it to a serious level :jap: . for some, they'd probably say that the graphics have gotten better :mad: , but the storylines have gotten worse :-\ . i'm just glad that FF is still moving on :bigbiggri .

Zante
03-17-2005, 08:35 AM
There are some changes I liked and some I didn't. I think it's good that Square tries out new things, if all FF's would be the same just with a different story, it would get boring very fast.

The new battle system in FFXII is something I'm looking forward to, as I have the feeling that it will be something like in KOTOR.

UltimateSpamGrover
03-17-2005, 11:35 AM
FFXII is going to have somewhat similar battle system as in XI, only its offline.

and yes, I thought FF's were going downhill, ...until XI came out. I just hope FFXII isnt another FF where you can slash for 99,999 damage. :rolleyes:

Ultima Shadow
03-17-2005, 01:25 PM
I just hope FFXII isnt another FF where you can slash for 99,999 damage. :rolleyes:
Agreed.

Dreddz
03-17-2005, 05:30 PM
Try downloading the rom of Chrono Trigger. It's an amazing game and the battles were the best part.

Wait a sec.
I can download Chrono Trigger off the net.Plz tell me how to do it im desperate to play it

TheAbominatrix
03-17-2005, 09:06 PM
and yes, I thought FF's were going downhill, ...until XI came out. I just hope FFXII isnt another FF where you can slash for 99,999 damage. :rolleyes:

You can slash for 99,999. You dont have to. So dont complain about it. The game is as easy or as hard as you make it, given the amount of custominzation available.

gibbi, the main site here has the rom and the emulator. Check it out.

UltimateSpamGrover
03-19-2005, 12:21 AM
You can slash for 99,999. You dont have to. So dont complain about it.

I'm not complaining about it. I just like FFs that are actually DIFFICULT. :D

EDIT: ...and if you can slah the enemies for 99,999 damage, at least give the monsters a little more HP.... :rolleyes2

udsuna
03-19-2005, 01:11 AM
Final fantasy goes in cycles, they're pretty predictable.

1. Duh, it's first, and very good for it's time.
2. Pale imitation storyline of above, only innovative new system.
3. Disappointment
4. Interesting system, nothing original story.
Mystic Quest. Something so different it shouldn't even be in the same series.
5. Same as 4.
6. Much improved story, nothing impressive system.
7. Incredible work, and also very good for it's time (and still)
Tactics. See mystic quest
8. See #2
9. See #3
10. See #4
11. See mystic quest
X-2. See #5
12. I'm just guessing that it will resemble #6
13. I have my fingers crossed, and it may even be the first on the PS3

See, it's all just a cycle. We're just in the lowest point of the cycle.

UltimateSpamGrover
03-19-2005, 02:36 AM
(This is all in my opinion by the way...)

1. Duh, it's first, and very good for it's time.
2. Pale imitation storyline of above, only innovative new system.

3. Didnt play enough of it to accurately rate it.
4. Too many deaths, but otherwise interesting.

Mystic Quest. Something so different it shouldn't even be in the same series.

5. It was a well done FF.
6. Look at #5 but slightly better

7. Incredible work, and also very good for it's time (and still)
Tactics. See mystic quest

Tactics Advance. Very Crappy sequel
8. This is where it started going downhill to the point of graphics > difficulty.
9. See #8, but the storyline and difficulty improved a little.
10. This is Squaresoft's worst FF to date
11. Even though this should be called FF:Online instead of FFXI, it is truly the best in the series. (but its $12.95 a month X_X) This was the first FF with no random battles, and it was done quite well.
X-2. See #10
12. As long as it isnt X or X-2, I'm happy
[This was edited several times]

Zante
03-19-2005, 03:15 PM
FFXII is going to have somewhat similar battle system as in XI, only its offline.

I don't have XI, what's the battle sistem there like?

UltimateSpamGrover
03-19-2005, 04:00 PM
FFXI Battle System (might be recycled in XII) (http://www.ffinsider.net/ff11/battle.php)

It's somewhat a mix of ATB and Real-Time

Zante
03-19-2005, 06:32 PM
Thanks, looks good.

Del Murder
03-20-2005, 06:08 PM
It's all a matter of opinion. FFX sold a lot of copies, so from a financial standpoint the series is not going downhill. It wasn't my favorite, and I wasn't able to get 'in' to it like the other games, but that might just be because I'm getting older.

TheAbominatrix
03-20-2005, 08:13 PM
I'm not complaining about it. I just like FFs that are actually DIFFICULT. :D

EDIT: ...and if you can slah the enemies for 99,999 damage, at least give the monsters a little more HP.... :rolleyes2

NONE of them are difficult by that point in the game. At the end of the game your characters can be maxed out in many ways. X allowed the 99,999. If you want difficulty, dont max them out so they can do that much damage!

FF, especially in games like X, VIII, and VII allow so much customization you can make your character into anything you want. You can breeze through the game with ultra-power characters, or you can make it tough by not maxing your characters out. It's player option, not game fault.

RedCydranth
03-20-2005, 08:43 PM
Tactics Advance. Very Crappy sequel

AAAAARRRRGGGGGGHHHH!!! IT IS NOT A SEQUEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is the same style of game in the same line of FF just as FF2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 weren't all sequels to FF1. Geez.

Now that THAT is off of my chest, I can continue this intriguing conversation with my 2 cents.

The FF series isn't in decline IMO. Nor is it getting better though. Sure After placing the gems that 6 and 7 were, its hard to follow up with that kind of excellence time and time again. 8 recieved criticism, and still does because many feel its not as goo as 7 was. If people stop comparing these games like they are all sequels to eachother and take them as individual games, there wouldn't be a problem. Same with 9 and X. 9 went back to the "basics" of the FF series and those who adored 7 and 8 knocked it for being "kiddish" and "cartoony". But if you play the game for what is was and not compare to other games it actually turns out that its a really good game. The biggest complaint to X was the length. I agree it was short, but in its shortness, it was highly entertaining and truly a masterpiece. X-2 did pale and CAN be compared to X because it IS a true sequel. However X-2 DID complete the Spira story.

No matter what Square does to the FF series there will be people knocking it and people glorifying their move. Ether way, you are ALL going to buy FF games and play them, so.... I guess Square is doing well. FF games MUST be getting better or else we all would not be here reading these posts and writing in them. If you trul feel they are getting worse, why are you here on an FF board when you feel there are better games to play. go play them, post on another forum about how great they are and quit trying to say FF series is dying/on a downward slope.

squareSOFT
03-20-2005, 09:29 PM
Why does everyone think FF7 was so great? The ONLY reason it sold a lot was because at that time consoles were becoming really popular and FF7 represented a new age in graphical quality. Thats it. It doesnt have a story thats better than the others it doesnt have the character development or anything. All it had was graphics and you can't just judge a game on that. It's a good game but FFIX and X blew it out of the water. The only reason no other FF game did what 7 did in terms of sales and general popularity is beacause FF8 was a total flop and left a bad taste in peoples mouths. Also, with games like X-2 and XI who can blame people for not getting into the series? I really hope Square-Enix comes back with a really good game in FFXII though. Cause if they don't who knows how much there already slipping popularity will fall? But a real easy solution to get out a downward spiral is to kick the Enix boyz out and get back to basics like in IX and best of all, X.

TheAbominatrix
03-20-2005, 09:33 PM
X-2 and XI have sold tons of copies, so I dont know what you mean about people not getting into the series.

As for VII, although I dont agree with people who say it's the best, saying people bought it because of graphics is ridiculous. The amount of people VII drew into being FF fans is astounding, and I highly doubt all of them are like "Wow check out those graphics!" especially those who've played it long after it's release.

squareSOFT
03-20-2005, 09:40 PM
First of I REMEMBER people back when ff7 was released who bought it without knowing what an RPG was!!!!!!!! Why? Because of the graphics. And while X-2 and XI have sold lots of copies they still havent sold nearly as much as any one of its predecessors for PS1 or 2.

TheAbominatrix
03-20-2005, 09:45 PM
So because of people you know buying it for the graphics, that means everyone did? That's ridiculous. And if they bought it for the graphics, why did they continue to play it? Not for the graphics. And why, when a person now picks up VII for the first time, do they enjoy it? NOt for the graphics.

And show me proof. Prove to me that they havent sold as much. My point, however, is not that they've sold as much, but rather that they sold a lot, and they did.

Destai
03-20-2005, 09:52 PM
Im giving Abominatrix my support on this. Everything squareSOFT has said seems to be just his own "flawed" opinion. Especially that uninformed talk about dumping Enix to improve Squares sales.

squareSOFT
03-20-2005, 10:03 PM
First off, I have from different sources that people across the world bought FF7 without knowing what and RPG was. And the only people whocontinue to play it are ff freaks like myself who DONT play a game for the graphics always. THe majority of gamers howeve, do. Same reason for ppl who pick up FF7 for the first time. They enjoy it because they dont like a game for the graphics. HOWEVER that is UNLIKE the majority of gamers, most of whom played it back when it came out fo the visuals. And all you gotta do is look up ff x-2 sales on google or some game site and find out that they sold only one milion copies. Compared to other ff games thats chicken feed. Honestly how much do you know about ff?

TheAbominatrix
03-20-2005, 10:04 PM
You have nothing to back up anything you're saying. You have different sources from around the world, eh? Who? Prove this to me.

I know lots of people who picked up FFVII without playing FF ever because it seemed interesting. They played it, they loved it, they're FF fans.

X-2 only sold 1 million? Yeah I doubt that. As I said, prove it to me. Show me proof. And even if it did, those are still good sales.

How much do I know about FF? Get over yourself, please.

squareSOFT
03-20-2005, 10:06 PM
MY mY my. Who said x-2 only sold 1 million. Oh ummmmmmmmmmmmmm. SQUARE ENIX themselves. my my my. And as for my sources. Well, you know this thing called MSN? I have talked to literaly hundreds of ppl who said they were attracted to ff7 purley on the graphical level.

Destai
03-20-2005, 10:24 PM
I picked up FFVII for no reason at all having played no other RPG's before it and all my other PS1 games had much beter graphics. I didnt care, I loved it because it was enjoyable gameplay and the best story I had ever seen.
X-2 sold one million and counting. Those other FF games have been around much much longer and have had just more time to sell. If you hink one million is peanuts then you havent played many other games. Also X-2 wasnt made by Enix. They had only merged around the time it was released in Japan. You ant say Enix is making FF worse by basin that fact on XI and X-2? Xi hardly counts for obvious reasons to any one who knows much about it although the project was well underway before Enix and X-2 hasnt much to do with Enix.

Raistlin
03-20-2005, 10:29 PM
Final Fantasy started going downhill with FF8 with Squall and a mushy, poorly written storyline.

The biggest reason FF is "worse" now, though, is that it's not the best anymore. Back in the early-to-late 90s, FF was the best the RPG genre, with very few exceptions. Now it's not. Suikoden is better, Lunar is better, others also believe Breath of Fire is now better than FF, etc.

squareSOFT
03-20-2005, 10:32 PM
Yes. Enix only merged with square a few months before the release of x-2. But i'l bet you that they also has SOME input at least. Not to mention we KNOW the square boys can make games but as 4 the new guyz we'll have to see for FF XII. Yes, x-2 will sell more copies but it will NEVER get up to other ff's unless you think it will quadruple its total sales. And just because YOU picked up FF 7 for those reasons that does not reperesnet the total population. Mabe not to many people picked up ff 7 for graphics but even if it was only like 15% thats still a big difference.

squareSOFT
03-20-2005, 10:33 PM
have you played Suikode IV?!!!!!!!!! They might not even mAKe a BOF VI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and lunar? well just play it and tell me it wasnt a waste!!! Honestly FF is still the best even if it is going downhill

rubah
03-20-2005, 10:34 PM
x-2: 1 million sales in north america from ~november 2003 to january 2004 (three months) (it did come out in the US in november right? march for japan and november for us?) ~2 million sales in Japan from march 2003 to january 2004

x: 4 million sales (not sure if NA alone or with JP also.) from December 2001 to January 2002. (thirteen months)

viii: 1 million sales in NA from September 1999 to December 1999 (four months) 4 million in Japan from march 1999 to december 1999. (nine months)

For some reason, I didn't see very distinct stats corresponding to ff9 or 7.

I forget why I looked all this up, who I was trying to disprove, but for now, I think I'll just leave off with this:

"ALWAYS LOOK AT YOUR DATES."

numbers courtesy of gamespot.com

(Friggin', *FIVE* people posted while I tried to look that all up? Teh
sux)
((and someone else while I was editing it-_-))

TheAbominatrix
03-20-2005, 10:35 PM
You still have yet to provide any proof. You saying that others have said it doesnt make a single bit of difference. Feel free to post it when you get it.

Destai
03-20-2005, 10:39 PM
Final Fantasy started going downhill with FF8 with Squall and a mushy, poorly written storyline.

The biggest reason FF is "worse" now, though, is that it's not the best anymore. Back in the early-to-late 90s, FF was the best the RPG genre, with very few exceptions. Now it's not. Suikoden is better, Lunar is better, others also believe Breath of Fire is now better than FF, etc.I dont think any of those games can compete in sales and didnt VI and IV have mushy love stories too? VI and IV being some of the most loved FF games by the old school fans. Im one of many who think the games are just as good and improving just like theres many who think theyre not as good. Theyre sales are huge and growing.

squareSOFT
03-20-2005, 10:39 PM
Listen you can disbelieve me all you want but I know that at least 20 % of the ppl I talk to about ff7 said they were drwn by the graphics

Destai
03-20-2005, 10:43 PM
FFVII's graphics werent that impressive for a newly released game.
And just because YOU picked up FF 7 for those reasons that does not reperesnet the total population.Neither do the people you've spoken with on the graphics.

squareSOFT
03-20-2005, 10:47 PM
YES ff 7 graphics were impressive for a ps1 game. Especially cause ps1 just came out. Ask any website and they'll tell you that they were VERY good back then. Also, no mabe the ppl I talk to dont represent the total population but Ive talked to hundreds(literally) and you are just one person

Destai
03-20-2005, 10:49 PM
Yes but you have to take into account Ive spoken to 2,340,002 people about the graphics (literally) and they didnt pick it up for the graphics.

squareSOFT
03-20-2005, 10:51 PM
You are telling me that out of 2,340,002 people not one of them picked it for graphics. thats rididculous

Destai
03-20-2005, 10:52 PM
:rolleyes2

squareSOFT
03-20-2005, 10:56 PM
brilliant response

Del Murder
03-21-2005, 12:07 AM
Hey guys, be a little more considerate with your responses. The last two would be considered spam, so no more of that.

squareSOFT: Do not double post. Use the edit button to add more to your post.

RedCydranth
03-21-2005, 12:30 AM
Drama drama... squareSOFT, I'm gonna go and say you are wrong. Sure, at the time FF7's graphics were cool. However, I, nor ANYONE I know bought it purely on its graphical quality alone.

Also.. Sales of the game never reflect the actual quality of the game itself. Anyone here ever hear of Beyond the Beyond? How about Rhapsody? Both of these games I thought were decent. Not Final Fantasy good, but good enough. Also, if ANY Wild Arms game ever reached the sales of even the worst selling Final Fantasy, that would be their biggest seller.

Destination0
03-21-2005, 03:11 AM
with all due respect I am loosing interest in Squaresoft/enix

strawberryman
03-21-2005, 03:35 AM
As long as they don't make another mistake like X-2, I'll keep on playing them.

Rinen
03-21-2005, 04:31 AM
I'm going to continue playing FF until it dies or I die. Mainly because I want to say that I was able to play all FF throughout my life. Sure there have been some downfalls in FF lately, but that just happens. I was sort of displeased with X-2, but I still played it anyways, although I didn't have 100% completion, it was worth the time (with what I do, anything but sitting down still for hours on end is worth the time).

UltimateSpamGrover
03-21-2005, 09:54 PM
FF must also be declining mainly because they're running out of ideas. :rolleyes:

squareSOFT
03-22-2005, 01:08 AM
I wouldnt say their running out of ideas more like they are coming up with ideas that are just plain stupid. Just take some more time and they'd get it right

UltimateSpamGrover
03-22-2005, 01:12 AM
So very true.

strawberryman
03-22-2005, 01:15 AM
I wouldnt say their running out of ideas more like they are coming up with ideas that are just plain stupid. Just take some more time and they'd get it right
They are not completly stupid. Just misguided.
Then people will complain about it taking too much time. ;) 'Tis for the best if we just trust square to make a game worthy of the "Final Fantasy" series. Just leave them be, and they might actually get something done.

squareSOFT
03-22-2005, 01:26 AM
Does it really matter whicH? Either way it'l have to be a hard lesson(such as a REALLY crappy game) before they start making some classics again

strawberryman
03-22-2005, 01:28 AM
Does it really matter whicH? Either way it'l have to be a hard lesson(such as a REALLY crappy game) before they start making some classics again
Imo, X-2 WAS a hard lesson.

squareSOFT
03-22-2005, 01:30 AM
Not hard enough, look at 11

strawberryman
03-22-2005, 01:37 AM
Not hard enough, look at 11
That was the gil sellers and obvious cheaters that ruined it.
11 is probably the best, considering it's all the players choice on what to do. They just have to get rid of the cheaters first.
Cheating on a game ON YOUR OWN is one thing, but online is a different story. In a game, your goal is not to be the best, but to have fun playing it. and if you have fun cheating, then you're hopeless.

squareSOFT
03-22-2005, 01:39 AM
Mabe, i'm not really a fan of MMORPG's to begin with but I do think that even with the gil-sellers and such it's still not up to their usual standard. Its just to non-linear and repetative. Kinda like runescape with better graphics. And please dont be insinuating that i'm a cheater...

biff0465
03-22-2005, 03:23 AM
I-Didn't play would love to
II-Again (#1)
III-i loved it, but i didn't beat it cause the bloody game lost my data
IV-(#I,II)
V-(I,II,IV)
VI-isn't this just a different version of III??
VII-best game i've ever played and i think most ff fans agree (notice that storyline beats graphics)
VIII-great storyline good graphics (for its time) bad battle sytem (needed more physical attacking and the gf animations got a little old after the first boss)
IX-Great story and gameplay i loved it
X-Decent story line decent gameplay needs a world map and what's up with an airship that you can't actually fly around!! needs a more manly main character, and a cooler villian (i mean what exactly was SIN??)
X-2-honestly this game was ridiculous!! my girlfreind made fun of me for playing it and i couldn't argue with her. It opens with a MUSIC VIDEO and has DRESS spheres and an all girl cast this was the worst game i have ever played, and the main character didn't have a sword. i thought it was really dumb and the bottom of the ff series that being said it was still an ff and that means that it had to have good points and i am happy that some people found it good
summary: VII was the climax and it goes down from there. Apparently everyone got obssed with graphics and making games more "modern" that they left out the storyline but FF is still FF and that makes any game in the series a good RPG

ljkkjlcm9
03-22-2005, 05:17 PM
I-Didn't play would love to
II-Again (#1)
III-i loved it, but i didn't beat it cause the bloody game lost my data
IV-(#I,II)
V-(I,II,IV)
VI-isn't this just a different version of III??
VII-best game i've ever played and i think most ff fans agree (notice that storyline beats graphics)
VIII-great storyline good graphics (for its time) bad battle sytem (needed more physical attacking and the gf animations got a little old after the first boss)
IX-Great story and gameplay i loved it
X-Decent story line decent gameplay needs a world map and what's up with an airship that you can't actually fly around!! needs a more manly main character, and a cooler villian (i mean what exactly was SIN??)
X-2-honestly this game was ridiculous!! my girlfreind made fun of me for playing it and i couldn't argue with her. It opens with a MUSIC VIDEO and has DRESS spheres and an all girl cast this was the worst game i have ever played, and the main character didn't have a sword. i thought it was really dumb and the bottom of the ff series that being said it was still an ff and that means that it had to have good points and i am happy that some people found it good
summary: VII was the climax and it goes down from there. Apparently everyone got obssed with graphics and making games more "modern" that they left out the storyline but FF is still FF and that makes any game in the series a good RPG

That's funny, you say FFVII was the climax and you haven't played basically any of the ones before it. FFVI was not a different version of III, it was originally released as III in the US. (which makes me wonder if you played FFIII, which has onion kids, or FFVI, the one with espers)

I don't know what to say, because some people enjoy the newer ones more than the older ones, some people love XI. Then there are others who only love the classic ones. IT's all the persons opinion, but FF will not die as long as people buy and play the games and enjoy them...

THE JACKEL

strawberryman
03-22-2005, 10:09 PM
Mabe, i'm not really a fan of MMORPG's to begin with but I do think that even with the gil-sellers and such it's still not up to their usual standard. Its just to non-linear and repetative. Kinda like runescape with better graphics. And please dont be insinuating that i'm a cheater...
I was'nt. I was just putting a point out. What I meant by 'you', was 'anyone'. Meaning, 'anyone who cheats for fun is hopeless.'

Destai
03-22-2005, 10:13 PM
I was'nt. I was just putting a point out. What I meant by 'you', was 'anyone'. Meaning, 'anyone who cheats for fun is hopeless.'I dont think theres any specified way to play that game. You just play it the way you most enjoy.

strawberryman
03-22-2005, 10:18 PM
I dont think theres any specified way to play that game. You just play it the way you most enjoy.
Meh. I guess my only choice is to leave the power-hungry to themselves.
(not saying anyone here is, just to get that straight)

squareSOFT
03-23-2005, 01:39 AM
I dont think theres any specified way to play that game. You just play it the way you most enjoy.

Thats the problem. Its far to non-linear. Final fantasies are known for gripping storylines and memorable characters and in this one you dont have any of those

strawberryman
03-23-2005, 01:49 AM
Thats the problem. Its far to non-linear. Final fantasies are known for gripping storylines and memorable characters and in this one you dont have any of those
It is a MMORPG. You play it in any order you want. Meaning you're really making your own story. Meaning you don't have to do the quests you don't want to do, you can choose your race, job...
With all due respect, it's good Square did'nt make a storyline they could POSSIBLY mess up. Not saying they would, but there would always be a chance of them making a mistake like X-2, IMO.

squareSOFT
03-23-2005, 01:53 AM
You can do mission for your country. I'd hardly call that a gripping storyline. Not no mention your character has no individual personality. Not that you can really have anything different in a MMORPG, which is why I think square should just get back to what made final fantasies good in the first place

strawberryman
03-23-2005, 01:56 AM
You can do mission for your country. I'd hardly call that a gripping storyline. Not no mention your character has no individual personality. Not that you can really have anything different in a MMORPG, which is why I think square should just get back to what made final fantasies good in the first place
Must you continue to be so negative? Sure, a couple of their games may not have been the best of the best, but we can't know if any of their newer games are going to be good until we play them.
If you wish, you can stop playing the newer games, and just continue to play your favorites. I'm not stopping you.

biff0465
03-23-2005, 01:58 AM
That's funny, you say FFVII was the climax and you haven't played basically any of the ones before it. FFVI was not a different version of III, it was originally released as III in the US. (which makes me wonder if you played FFIII, which has onion kids, or FFVI, the one with espers)

I don't know what to say, because some people enjoy the newer ones more than the older ones, some people love XI. Then there are others who only love the classic ones. IT's all the persons opinion, but FF will not die as long as people buy and play the games and enjoy them...

THE JACKEL
you are right that i can't judge the climax without playing the earlier ones so i withdraw that comment. (i am working on getting them somehow (i.e. fforigins chronicles etc.) so someone explain the whole FFIII vs. FFVI to me i played FFIII for the snes

squareSOFT
03-23-2005, 01:59 AM
Whoa overreacting!!!! All i'm saying is that x-2 was horrible and I dont like MMORPG's in general. FFxii sounds AMAZING and my personal favourite was x. I like some of their new ideas just not all of them

strawberryman
03-23-2005, 02:02 AM
Whoa overreacting!!!! All i'm saying is that x-2 was horrible and I dont like MMORPG's in general. FFxii sounds AMAZING and my personal favourite was x. I like some of their new ideas just not all of them
Have you even played FF11?
i do agree that X-2 was horrible, though.

squareSOFT
03-23-2005, 02:04 AM
Sure I have a lvl 25 blm and a 14whm. I came from Bastok and the area just outside it is called Gustaberg. I bought most of my stuff at the AH(doesn't every1) and I was part of a Linkshell who's leader was called Atraiyu. Enough?

strawberryman
03-23-2005, 02:06 AM
Sure I have a lvl 25 blm and a 14whm. I came from Bastok and the area just outside it is called Gustaberg. I bought most of my stuff at the AH(doesn't every1) and I was part of a Linkshell who's leader was called Atraiyu. Enough?
Just checking. Can't really say you dislike MMORPG's unless you've played any. Sorry if I came a bit off on the blunt side, but it's just how I am. I shall respect your opinion, as long as you respect mine.

squareSOFT
03-23-2005, 02:08 AM
Just checking. Can't really say you dislike MMORPG's unless you've played any. Sorry if I came a bit off on the blunt side, but it's just how I am.

Hey no problem. Say what is your fav. ff?

strawberryman
03-23-2005, 02:17 AM
Hey no problem. Say what is your fav. ff?
Not really on topic, but i'll answer anyways.

FF6 is probably my favorite. Next to FF1. (not the DoS version)
Those were the days when FF was'nt very popular, but FF1 saved us all from a non-FF future. Sad to say, but had FF1 not hit as hard as it did, then we probably would'nt be on these forums, seeing as how they probably would'nt exist. There was a reason why it was called "FINAL" Fantasy.

squareSOFT
03-23-2005, 02:19 AM
Ya, and as much as I hate to admit it we were also saved by ff7. Had that not been as huge as it was they probably werent going to make an eight....ugggggggghhhhhhhh I shudder at the thought of that

Lon611
03-23-2005, 02:53 AM
its going uphill. and is on a positive rise, in my opinion.

if u mean new games as in ffx and on, i count ffx as the only real one cuz ffxii was an mmorpg and x-2 was a sequel. and i love ffx, it remains to be my fav. so in my eyes, lets wait for ffxii to come out, and then see.

and if u really think about it, how can ff really EVER be on a rise or fall?each game is so different. take ff1. that was good, then ffii came out. ffvi and vii were awesome, then viii.final fantasy just occillatates. u can't really determine its future. but at the moment, its looking really bright. :D

biff0465
03-23-2005, 03:02 AM
and if u really think about it, how can ff really EVER be on a rise or fall?each game is so different. take ff1. that was good, then ffii came out. ffvi and vii were awesome, then viii.final fantasy just occillatates. u can't really determine its future. but at the moment, its looking really bright. :D

i completly agree

squareSOFT
03-23-2005, 03:33 AM
its going uphill. and is on a positive rise, in my opinion.

if u mean new games as in ffx and on, i count ffx as the only real one cuz ffxii was an mmorpg and x-2 was a sequel. and i love ffx, it remains to be my fav. so in my eyes, lets wait for ffxii to come out, and then see.

While I agree about the future being bright I dont agree with the fact that it cant be on a rise or fall. Look at x-2 that game was just plain BAD. I was so dissapointed because so far, x has been my overwhelming favourite and I just think that square-enix was defenitly going down slightly after x-2. Come on after all the sequels we've wanted who could have ever thought they would answer our prayers with whatever x-2 was?! mabe i'm being overly critical but I think most people agree that x-2 was at least a mistake

rubah
03-23-2005, 03:54 AM
take ff1. that was good, then ffii came out. ffvi and vii were awesome, then viii.

I think 8 was better than both 6 and 7. And that x-2 is worth playing.

See, that's the trouble with trying to decide whether a series like this is getting better or not. There's different types of people that like different types of games, and it's only with square's experimentation that everyone can be more or less satisfied at any given point in the series.

As it's incomprehendible for some of you to understand why I like 8 and x-2, it's sorta hard for me to understand why 4 is so great.

So really, by saying that certain games were huge mistakes and should have never been made at all is a bit selfish of you all. Shame on you.

squareSOFT
03-23-2005, 03:58 AM
I think 8 was better than both 6 and 7. And that x-2 is worth playing.

See, that's the trouble with trying to decide whether a series like this is getting better or not. There's different types of people that like different types of games, and it's only with square's experimentation that everyone can be more or less satisfied at any given point in the series.

As it's incomprehendible for some of you to understand why I like 8 and x-2, it's sorta hard for me to understand why 4 is so great.

So really, by saying that certain games were huge mistakes and should have never been made at all is a bit selfish of you all. Shame on you.

My apologies if i offended but the fact is the majority of people do think x-2 was a mistake and lets face it, in this society majority rules

strawberryman
03-23-2005, 04:01 AM

True. But I never said it should not have been made. I know there are a good few who like X-2, and I respect that. I am just stating my opinion that X-2 was quite a dissapointment to me.

squareSOFT
03-23-2005, 04:07 AM
My biggest beef about x-2 wasn't the game itself, but the whole atmoshpere of it was so different from x that it made it seem like a whole nother game and not like a breathlessley awaited sequel