PDA

View Full Version : Video game tournaments

Erdrick Holmes
03-17-2005, 12:39 AM
Ever participate in any? I mean ones that you win prizes in?

Coming next saturday I'm going to port Huron (Ansem might go with me) for a big fighting game tournament where I will participate in Guilty Gear X2 #Reload. 1st place winners get 70% of the total pot.

XxSephirothxX
03-17-2005, 12:45 AM
I've never been in one, though I bet it'd be fun. Is there an estimate as to how many people will be there and the pot size? It'd be sweet if you won.

Mo-Nercy
03-17-2005, 01:01 AM
I'm looking forward to entering the next local Soul Calibur 2 tourny. The last time they held it, I wasn't up to scratch yet. But I think I'm ready now. A sizable wealth of characters that I can use and improved skills, reflexs etc. = victory.

Del Murder
03-17-2005, 01:26 AM
I was in some video game championships a long long time ago at a convention center. We played Super Mario Bros., Tetris, and I can't remember the third game. We played for points. I didn't do very well, anyway. This was around the time when The Wizard came out, and the tournament was very similar to it.

Erdrick Holmes
03-17-2005, 01:28 AM
How do you compete in Mario Bros? See who beats the level quickest?

strawberryman
03-17-2005, 01:31 AM
I'm looking forward to entering the next local Soul Calibur 2 tourny. The last time they held it, I wasn't up to scratch yet. But I think I'm ready now. A sizable wealth of characters that I can use and improved skills, reflexs etc. = victory.
And where is this? I'd like to know, considering Soul Calibur is one of my favorite fighting games. As you could probably tell.

Mo-Nercy
03-17-2005, 01:35 AM
And where is this? I'd like to know, considering Soul Calibur is one of my favorite fighting games. As you could probably tell.
Well, I'm in Sydney Australia so I don't know if it's convenient for you. But if by coincidence you do live in Sydney. Then Playtime on George St is where all the action is at. The really good people pop up around late afternoon, I try to stick around for that since I can compete with them (as long as I'm having a really really good day and my psyche-outs and cancels and GIs are all working right) I heard from the forums at soulcalibur.com that a tournament was being held there once, but like I said before, that was before I got good enough to compete. Now I'm just waiting for the next one.

Del Murder
03-17-2005, 01:39 AM
How do you compete in Mario Bros? See who beats the level quickest?
There was a set time limit to play all three games. Once you completed the task for one, you moved on to the next. The final game was Tetris and you played that one until time expired. All that mattered in the end was your final points score, so the object was to complete the first two tasks and get to Tetris as quickly as possible since it had the most potential for points.

The Captain
03-17-2005, 01:41 AM
I've never taken part in any of these since I mostly play video games for fun and to wind down. To each there own. Best of luck Joel!

Take care all.

Dreddz
03-17-2005, 05:15 PM
Been in 3 tornemants.
Aint won any of them but came close everytime
one was a GT contest and I flopped terribly
Next one was for tekken and I came second :)
next one was a few games.
Soul Caliber 2,Timesplitters 2 and Burnout 3
came third which I guess is ok

Cless
03-18-2005, 03:53 AM
I've never been to any but my brother went to a Pro Evolution Soccer one a while back. Don't remember how he did though I do recall there being a cash prize for the winner.

Anyway, good luck all the same Joel! :)

BatChao
03-18-2005, 10:53 AM
Yea, I've been to three... all for Soul Calibur 2. I did pretty poorly the first two... but I got fourth on the third one. Probably because I was playing against a lot of the guys I usually practice with and I was familiar with their play styles. Also, I picked up a few tricks. I'd love to compete again, but I just don't have the time anymore... work takes up my entire life now. I don't have time to go out anymore... :(