PDA

View Full Version : Pasta and barbeque sauce? Do they mix?

Peegee
03-17-2005, 11:01 AM
They sure do! At least if you add some other things.

My typical pasta sauce is composed of the following:

Pasta sauce (ragu, etc)
Ketchup
Sugar

Heat it up and mix it. Very nice.

However tonight I realised that I had ran out of pasta sauce. Whatever was I to do? I briefly considered playing with ketchup and spices, but I don't have anything except oregano....hmm. So I looked through my dry food storage area -- sugar, salt, ketchup, sweet & sour sauce...I briefly considered it, but the consistency was bad. Then I saw it.

BBQ sauce. Amazing. I grabbed the two bottles, sprayed ketchup all over a sauce pan, and heated it up. I then added about 1/3 more bbq sauce, sprinkled it with sugar, and mixed it up. Amazing!

I now have a container of pasta sauce for later.

So the topic here is: when and if you cook, do you experiment with things, or do you just cook the way you were taught/experienced at? Usually I cook the same thing every night -- it's easy, simple, and I don't have to think more than 'I'm hungry'.

:p

Nod
03-17-2005, 11:06 AM
Yeah, i definitely experiment. I have found that when cooking bolognaise, a great thing to add is a teaspoon of marmite/bovril. it may sound a little strange, but the mresult is brilliant! :goomba: :p

boris no no
03-17-2005, 11:24 AM
i always put chinnamonamonamonamon into my pasta!
:love:
plus BBQ sauce on cheese
*drools*
and also, in a weider view, chocolate covered gerkins are pretty tasty too! :p
p.s i'm not joking!

udsuna
03-17-2005, 11:29 AM
I like boris' theory. I'm also a fan of putting cinnamon in chile. It adds a really subtle and surprisingly good taste. But, BBQ sauce is good for anything that isn't supposed to be overly sweet.

Doc Sark
03-17-2005, 12:06 PM
NOOOOOO!!!! Not another one. My best mate made me spaghetti bolognaise once mixing BBQ sauce in with the pasta sauce! I like BBQ sauce but it was disgusting!!!! I like my pasta sauce non-BBQ sauce based!!!

I do like to experiment however, my favourite hangover snack is a potato waffle, with two slices of cheese on the top, wrapped in ham. It's a culinary vision I tell you!

gokufusionss1
03-17-2005, 12:18 PM
you can't beat a fried egg, sausage and bacon sandwhich with BBQ sauce.

Resha
03-17-2005, 01:47 PM
Everything I cook is an experiment. I cannot cook. Bane of my mother's life, I am. :(

ffrinoa8
03-17-2005, 02:06 PM
do you experiment with things
:p
yeah i experoment alot with hey try milkduds with popcorn!! it's a sweet movie snack!

Meat Puppet
03-17-2005, 02:57 PM
duh

Strider
03-17-2005, 03:52 PM
Chili Mac. Always Chili Mac.

amratis
03-17-2005, 04:11 PM
As a uni student I experiment all the time with cooking....with normally horrific results :D

Doomgaze
03-17-2005, 06:07 PM
*shudders*

You have offended my people. That's not pasta sauce. That's... why don't you just eat spaghettios or something, if you're looking for cheap, tasteless crap.

Fuzakeru
03-17-2005, 06:08 PM
Barbeque sauce goes with ANYTHING.

Peegee
03-18-2005, 02:21 AM
*shudders*

You have offended my people. That's not pasta sauce. That's... why don't you just eat spaghettios or something, if you're looking for cheap, tasteless crap.

You forgot I sweeten with sugar, noob.

Casey
03-18-2005, 02:30 AM
Dude, instead of sugar. You should try adding some....

BAM!

http://www.mysticmooncoven.org/graphics/bltessence.jpg

Emeril's Essence. :D

Peegee
03-18-2005, 02:32 AM
None of that stuff is any good.

Doomgaze
03-18-2005, 02:50 AM
I'm not a big fan of something in Essence. Rosemary, I think.

strawberryman
03-18-2005, 05:43 AM
My grandma once made barbeque sauce using mustard, Coctail sauce, heinz 57 sauce, and lemon juice. Stunk the whole house up, but it still tasted quite good. :D
Plus, i've eaten other weird things too.
Like reeses peanut butter cups on pizza.
I do remember trying to eat a clove of garlic once, too. :eek:

DaremihC
03-18-2005, 05:55 AM
I have successfuly eaten a clove of garlic.

I have also learned how to cook... this allows me to, not only make real, good tasting food, but also experiment intelligently (I know how things taste together and how to cook lots of interesting things)

Except for that Peanut-Butter, Jam, and A1 Steak Sauce experiment...

A1 does NOT go good with everything...

strawberryman
03-18-2005, 05:58 AM
I have successfuly eaten a clove of garlic.
I commend you for being as crazy as I am. I mean, that stuff burns. BAD.
And it stinks. BAD.

YaY Chocobo!
03-18-2005, 05:58 AM
woo!!! Nice combo!! I love it!! I tried it and put it with some fettuchini and it tatsed awesome... I ate a whole bowl! W00t W00t :p :D :p :D

DMKA
03-18-2005, 06:17 AM
Barbeque sauce goes with ANYTHING.
I'm so glad you didn't say Ranch Dressing. I love BBQ. :love: :love: :love:

fire_of_avalon
03-18-2005, 07:11 AM
Oh yes, certainly I do. Wor-whatever sauce + honey + ground mustard seed + celery seed + pan + chicken = heaven.

Coley
03-18-2005, 07:16 AM
I like mixing that taco sauce stuff with my pasta... my roomies think I'm weird, but it's actually pretty good. I've been too lazy to cook at all lately though.

strawberryman
03-18-2005, 07:17 AM
I like mixing that taco sauce stuff with my pasta... my roomies think I'm weird, but it's actually pretty good. I've been too lazy to cook at all lately though.
Taco sauce on white castle Jalapeno cheeseburgers is good too. :love:

Dr.K
03-18-2005, 09:27 AM
Banana + bramble jelly + toast = nice
raisins + pretty much anything = nice
I once put some rice pudding on my pasta, and almost threw up. So, maybe a no-no for anyone considering it.

Harvest Moon
03-18-2005, 08:08 PM
IIII, just eat pasta alone.. incase you havn't figured it out by now i'm a vegitarian and they do put meat in those spagghetti sauces..

I eat toast by itself too, no butter, not that i have anything against eating milk and eggs as i'm a lacto-ovo vegitarian (And even vegans could use margarine as that's made from soy.) but butter/margarine is just plain bad for you..

Then again toast in itself probably isn't what i would call food for the soul neither but whatever. It's hard to quit starches.. i have to pat myself on the back for just drinking a 2-liter of diet cola a day, i WAS drinking like six liters.. :mad:

DaremihC
03-18-2005, 08:10 PM
Man cannot live on bread alone dude...

But with soda? Anything is possible!