PDA

View Full Version : How important is height to you in a relationship?

Dingo Jellybean
03-18-2005, 09:48 AM
I had this discussion with classmates the other day and it was pretty interesting. From a guy's point of view, they want an ideal girl that's about 2" shorter than them...from a girl's point of view, they want a guy about 5" taller than them...which is not surprising considering most couples at my university vary by about 4-6" in height, so I guess the girls win out. :)

I never found height to be a requirement or preference, just as long as she's not taller than me or too too too short, I never cared. My only gf was 5'6". I also never believed height was attractive either. Maybe girls view it more, but guys don't really care AFAIK. I mean say Brad Pitt was 5'6", if you showed his photo to girls they'd drool. Say you take a good looking guy(but not as good looking as Brad Pitt) and he was 6'. If they saw the good-looking guy, they'd prefer Pitt. In person, they'd probably take the taller good-looking guy over Pitt...just because he's taller.

There aren't many couples where the female is taller than the guy, but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer as to why height matters so much more to women than men. For guys, they just look for a cute body and face and hope to be her mate. Women are probably a bit more selective even if they find a cute guy with a good body.

Discuss...bitch.

Dr.K
03-18-2005, 09:58 AM
From the relationships I've had so far, none of the girls have been taller than about 5'3. I don't think this is coincidence either, I just seem to have an larger affinity for smaller than average people.
I certainly wouldn't say height mattered to a relationship, but I think some people probably have subconscious preferences when it comes to this.

DMKA
03-18-2005, 10:21 AM
Height doesn't matter to me.

Cless
03-18-2005, 10:43 AM
Length doesn't matter, it's what you do with it! :mad2:
Oh, wait. We're talking about height here? Yeah, I knew that. :riiight:

Seriously though, I remember an ex-girlfriend of mine. She must have been about 6ft, so, as you can see, she was a very tall for her gender. I remember we went to a school dance together, and we got a lot of strange looks because of it, me being about 5'6" or 7" and all. It may have looked a little strange to people, but it didn't bother me or her in the slightest.

So, my answer to the question is nope. Height does not matter to me at all!

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-18-2005, 10:44 AM
I like small girls. 5'3" (160 cm) is about the limit.

krissy
03-18-2005, 11:02 AM
don't care

boris no no
03-18-2005, 11:06 AM
i wouldn't really want to date a guy shorter then me....i like guys to be taller then me, above 6 foot!

Cless
03-18-2005, 11:22 AM
I really do expect most of the females will have a "wouldn't like to date if shorter than me" thingy goin' on.

Rye
03-18-2005, 11:55 AM
I would really prefer a guy to be taller than me, but as I'm 5 feet tall, that really is easy. I'd say about 5'6" and up is ideal for me, but I'd I think there are MANY things more important than height in a relationships.

RSL
03-18-2005, 12:20 PM
While height isn't something I think about, I'd feel weird if the girl was taller than me. It's rare that a girl is taller than me, though.

Spuuky
03-18-2005, 12:25 PM
I can only tolerate short, thin girls.

Jojee
03-18-2005, 12:27 PM
I would really prefer a guy to be taller than me, but as I'm 5 feet tall, that really is easy. I'd say about 5'6" and up is ideal for me, but I'd I think there are MANY things more important than height in a relationships.
hey that's me. ^^ ~5'10" is a good height, 5'6" is a bit short though. And yeah, there are more important things, like <s>length</s> personality.

Xander
03-18-2005, 01:11 PM
It's not really important but I'd rather a guy was a bit taller than me at least. My mum is way taller than my dad though. xD

Madonna
03-18-2005, 01:12 PM
My girlfriend is taller than me. We joke about it.

Chibi Angel
03-18-2005, 01:18 PM
Meh I don't care about height in the least, the guys I've liked are all differant sizes.

MecaKane
03-18-2005, 01:28 PM
Guys who will only date girls shorter than them are pedophiles.
There, I said it.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-18-2005, 01:33 PM
Well, yeah.

amratis
03-18-2005, 03:18 PM
A couple of years ago I didnt go out with a guy that I actually otherwise really liked because he was almost a foot shorter then me, I really liked the guy but I just couldnt bring myself to become more interested. I know, shallow...so yeah, height matters to me, a guy has to be taller then me. :D

Resha
03-18-2005, 03:20 PM
i wouldn't really want to date a guy shorter then me....i like guys to be taller then me, above 6 foot!

Ditto. Does that make me sexist, sort of?

Cless
03-18-2005, 03:38 PM
Does that make me sexist, sort of?Nah, I think that makes you heightest or something (if there even is such a word :tongue: ). Ah, you know what I mean anyway! ;)

DaremihC
03-18-2005, 04:15 PM
My (only) girlfriend is a little over a foot shorter than me and I really don't care.

My neck has been hurting lateley though...

Leeza
03-18-2005, 04:21 PM
<i>I mean say Brad Pitt was 5'6", if you showed his photo to girls they'd drool. Say you take a good looking guy(but not as good looking as Brad Pitt) and he was 6'. If they saw the good-looking guy, they'd prefer Pitt. In person, they'd probably take the taller good-looking guy over Pitt...just because he's taller.</i> - Dingo

In my opinion, this statement is very silly, unless you're a very shallow female. I found height to be one of the least important things in a relationship and I also wouldn't drool over someone who looks like Brad Pitt or choose them just because they had a prettier face. Both of those are pretty sad prerequisits for choosing someone...unless you are a very shallow person that is.

Itsunari 2000
03-18-2005, 04:23 PM
I don't want to even think about comparing my height with a certain girl.

Blackmageboi
03-18-2005, 04:23 PM
um i dont care but im small so i cant be very picky lol

Faris
03-18-2005, 04:24 PM
*agrees* It all depends on the person.

Doc Sark
03-18-2005, 04:40 PM
One of my ex-gf's was 5ft 11, when she wore heels it made her taller than me as I'm 6ft. I like tall women personally, longer legs.....*droool*, but in saying that I also like short girls too, like Kylie, she's short...*droooool*.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that, I like girls over 5ft7+ or 5ft4-. That makes me fussy, complex, and pretty damn weird I know. But then if a girl was 5ft5 or 5ft6, was attractive, and had a nice personality, I wouldn't let her height interfere with my rigid female specifications. It's like buying a car, sometimes you have to compromise because the model you want is way out of your price range.

As you can see I've thought about this far too much now and haven't really answered the question. *leaves*

Strider
03-18-2005, 06:32 PM
I've always been attracted to taller girls. 5'8" to 5'10", I'm down with that.

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-18-2005, 06:44 PM
I tend to feel somewhat intimidated by girls who are taller than me, but if they're willing I'll date them, I don't mind.

Old Manus
03-18-2005, 07:00 PM
I take them small.

DaremihC
03-18-2005, 07:10 PM
That is so freaking scary...

Chemical
03-18-2005, 07:13 PM
Chemical Likes 'em Big
Chemical Likes 'em Small
Chemical Likes 'em Skinny & Fat
Heck! Chemical Likes 'em all

Flamethrower
03-18-2005, 07:18 PM
I'm 6 feet tall, so I rarely have to worry about girls being taller than me. Height isn't that important to me, but if I had to pick an ideal height for a girl, I'd say somewhere between 5'4" and 5'7" would be nice.

Ouch!
03-18-2005, 07:34 PM
I almost went out with a girl who was 6'1". I was, hmm, maybe 5'10" at the time. Height has never really bothered me, but I have found that most of the few girls I've gone out with were 5'4" and under. I don't think it's an actual preference, though.

I do take pride in my height though. I like walking down the halls in school and seeing the top of almost everyone's head.

Miriel
03-18-2005, 09:04 PM
<i>I mean say Brad Pitt was 5'6", if you showed his photo to girls they'd drool. Say you take a good looking guy(but not as good looking as Brad Pitt) and he was 6'. If they saw the good-looking guy, they'd prefer Pitt. In person, they'd probably take the taller good-looking guy over Pitt...just because he's taller.</i> - Dingo

In my opinion, this statement is very silly, unless you're a very shallow female. I found height to be one of the least important things in a relationship and I also wouldn't drool over someone who looks like Brad Pitt or choose them just because they had a prettier face. Both of those are pretty sad prerequisits for choosing someone...unless you are a very shallow person that is.

I absolutely agree.

Height matters very little to me and I don't find physical appearance in general to be all that important in a relationship. Maybe it's the people I hang out with, but most of my friends would never discriminate against a guy or girl because of their height.

I've dated a guy who was an inch shorter than me because he had an amazing personality. Height is a non-issue. People will have their standards. Only guys with blue eyes, only girls who are a size 2, and on and on.

But when you meet someone fantastic, most of those physical requisites fly out the window.

Unless of course, as Leeza said, you're a very shallow person.

fire_of_avalon
03-18-2005, 09:15 PM
My boyfriend is 8-10" taller than me. I don't care, and he doesn't care, but he does tease me when I have to climb on things to reach other things.

bennator
03-18-2005, 09:18 PM
I'm 6' 3", so any girl is usually small enough where I stop keeping track. I joke about my 5' 8" girlfriend being short. So, really, at this point it doesn't matter.

Mr. Graves
03-18-2005, 10:55 PM
I'd actually prefer a mate taller than me. Is that so wrong?

ffrinoa8
03-18-2005, 11:01 PM
considering the fact that i'm short any guy taller than me!!!me 5' 1"

Denmark
03-19-2005, 12:02 AM
I don't care. I've liked girls that are 5'1" or even shorter. o_O (I'm 6'2")

kikimm
03-19-2005, 12:15 AM
I've always said that I prefer tall guys, and probably wouldn't date a "short" guy, but all of my boyfriends have been very close to me in height (I'm 5'3), so I've found it doesn't really matter to me. However, when I think abuot it, I still "prefer" taller guys. 6'0 and bit below, is a pretty good area.

There, of course, many, many more important things than this. It falls under the appearance category, which ultimately means nothing, after a certain point in time.

:D

ffrinoa8
03-19-2005, 12:18 AM
appearence means nothing to me

Kirkpatrick
03-19-2005, 12:46 AM
I'm about 5'6", and my girlfriend is about 5'2", and I think that's a reasonable difference (I suppose I am a bit biased though :P).
Really, if I had to pick, pretty close to my own height would be my choice - I like eye contact, and I know what it's like to be staring at people's stomachs.

UltimateSpamGrover
03-20-2005, 02:54 AM

Luc
03-20-2005, 03:03 AM
I tend to feel somewhat intimidated by girls who are taller than me, but if they're willing I'll date them, I don't mind.

-N-
03-20-2005, 06:04 AM
Dealing with someone significantly shorter can result in a lot of back problems. Being 6'4", I can definitely say it's not pleasant. But I can't go for the 2" shorter thing, because, well, I don't see any 6'2" girls except the WNBA, and well, let's just say they're out of my league.

(Get it? Get it? AHAHAHAHAAHA)

Kirobaito
03-20-2005, 06:07 AM
Good one, Neel. :cool:

It's not necessary, but I really just would rather be taller than any girl I would date. Being shorter would really intimidate me, as Void said. It's difficult to explain.

Peegee
03-20-2005, 09:29 AM
Tom Cruise is 5'7".

Mindflare
03-21-2005, 07:53 AM
My girlfriend is 5'2", I'm 6'4". Point made.

nik0tine
03-21-2005, 08:03 AM
I don't particularily like girls who are very tall. There are of course, exceptions, but for the most part I don't like tall women.

Shlup
03-21-2005, 08:09 AM
I don't really care... as long as he's taller than I am. It's bad enough I deal with weighing more than my boyfriend, who is five inches taller than me, but if he was shorter too... I dunno. I guess I just like to feel dainty or something.

-N-
03-21-2005, 09:36 AM
My girlfriend is 5'2", I'm 6'4". Point made.
How do you deal with that? Since it's applicable to my case, I'm curious.

bigbri2k5
03-21-2005, 10:06 AM
Girls i go out with have to be pretty tall since im about 6'6"

Resha
03-21-2005, 10:29 AM
Maybe I'll find someone who is exactly my height, and then both of us will be happy. :p