PDA

View Full Version : i never knew what the turk really where

youk
03-18-2005, 07:07 PM
what was the mening of the turk?
why did they always want to fight you?
who are the turk actully?

i cant begin a new game cuase my game disc's are to dameged of to much playing it :cry:

Camanche
03-18-2005, 07:31 PM
The Turks are an elite squad of individuals that are highly trained and deadly. They do Shinra's dirty work basically. (Murder, Kidnapping, the bombing of the Sector 7 Plate, the 'disposal' of your team, who is trying to thwart Shinra's plans. Whatever they're ordered to, basically. Especially when the Shinra know they can't directly put their hands into a situation because of legal matters.)

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-18-2005, 07:57 PM
They're also supposedly in charge of recruiting people for SOLDIER.

Camanche
03-18-2005, 08:23 PM
Heh, oh yes. That too. Listen to Kawaii. (I think it's just a cover job for what they really do. :D)

youk
03-19-2005, 11:16 AM
yeah thanks i could find it out if my game disc werent broken :cry: :cry: :cry:

Greiver205
03-19-2005, 02:28 PM
I think the Turks are cool.

youk
03-20-2005, 09:08 PM
the turk theme is cool :D

Yuffie514
03-20-2005, 11:29 PM
has there been any mention why they were called the Turks :mad: in the first place :mad: ?

Destai
03-20-2005, 11:43 PM
All the best secret team names dont sound remotely cool (?)

Luthien Rogue
03-21-2005, 05:46 PM
Main Entry: Young Turk
Function: noun
Etymology: Young Turks, a 20th century revolutionary party in Turkey
: an insurgent or a member of an insurgent group especially in a political party

Turk
archaic : one who is cruel or tyrannical

Sword
03-21-2005, 05:52 PM
Dunno I was always wondering why they are called that. My mum thoght it was some kind of racism when she saw that LOL.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-21-2005, 07:22 PM
The Turks in FFVII aren't really insurgents at all, though.

Luthien Rogue
03-21-2005, 07:57 PM
The Turks in FFVII aren't really insurgents at all, though.

Aerith
"This violently? I thought they were kidnapping someone."

Cloud
"They're also involved in a lot of dirty stuff on the side."
"Spying, murder... you know."

Elena
"Reno! You're not violating the order... are you!?"

Reno
"Shinra's finished. It's come down to this."

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-21-2005, 09:36 PM
None of that lines up with being insurgents.

Camanche
03-21-2005, 09:44 PM
While I don't see them as true insurgents, by the definition of the word, they don't exactly have a love for Shinra either. Various times throughout the game they purposely do whatever they can to ignore orders and shirk work duties. But violating an order after a company has been felled doesn't seem like an intentional revolt or rebellion or anything. They're just reluctant workers sometimes. :p

Squall of SeeD
03-22-2005, 12:04 AM
None of that lines up with being insurgents.

The part about them being spies could be linked to it. That suggests subterfuge, and an insurgent can be defined as one who battles a more powerful authority through sabatoge, something often linked to infiltration. Granted, Shin-Ra was the authority and the Turks worked for them, and infiltration and subterfuge aren't necessarily indicative of insurgency, but it's certainly the best fit among the definitions offered by the term "Turk."

There's also the collapse of the Sector 7 Plate, caused by Reno. That's somewhat sabatoge-ish.

In any event, as Luthien Rogue pointed out, the Turks refusing the order to fight AVALANCHE if the player chooses not to fight them in the tunnels beneath Midgar would fit well, and likely better than the first point.

Greiver205
03-24-2005, 12:29 AM
Arent the Turks like a real group from like Europe a hella long time ago...

Camanche
03-24-2005, 03:46 AM
Well Turks are often what people from Turkey are referred to as.

Greiver205
03-24-2005, 03:50 PM
OOOOOO ok...thanks that was really bothering me

eestlinc
04-01-2005, 02:35 AM
Arent the Turks like a real group from like Europe a hella long time ago...

xD yes.

They aren't insurgents because insurgents fight the existing power base, whereas the Turks in ff7 work for that power base, albeit somewhat obliquely at times.

BG-57
04-01-2005, 09:11 PM
Wouldn't Avalanche be an insurgency group then? They're the ones in FFVII trying to destabilize Shinra's power base through violence.

The Turks always struck me more like secret police, doing the dirty work behind the scenes to maintain a tyrannical city-state.

Big D
04-08-2005, 06:00 AM
The use of the word 'Turk' in FFVII has, in my opinion, no connection to people from Turkey. I think we can dismiss it as a situation where a made-up word in a fantasy world simply sounds the same as a word from our own world. Just like all the fantasy characters whose nicknames are the same as real-world names - Mat, Tom, Sam, etc.