PDA

View Full Version : Xenosaga Help

nik0tine
03-19-2005, 03:29 AM
Ok, Im playing Xenosaga: Episode one and I am at the part where you are inside a giant Gnosis. I believe it is called the Cathedral Ship, but don't hold me to that. Anyways, I just reached the boss and god, he is a PAIN IN THE ASS! In case you don't know, I am talking about this large Gnosis that resembles a gargoyle and there are two other Gnosis'es on both his right and left sides. I can't seem to beat this guy. I read a walkthrough and had no idea what it was talking about. Help, please.

LH
03-19-2005, 03:53 AM
Well, your first problem is that you're wasting time on Xenosaga. Go play Xenogears. But if you're determined to make your money you paid for the game worth it, I'll help you out.

First thing you're gonna do is kill of those little Gnosis. If you're not using KOS-MOS, you're better of deleting your file off of your memory card and forgetting about it. Her R-BLADE will help out a lot on the little gnosis. Shion should use Medica-All on her turns until the two little ones are dead because they keep attacking your whole party for high damage. Your other character should heal her EP while KOS-MOS attacks. When they're gone, you're going to want to have Shion and your other member (you should go with chaos) jump in their AGWS when it's down to about half HP and use W-ACT (on one turn guard, on the next you'll have enough AP to use W-ACT) while KOS-MOS continues to attack, because that's what she's good for. It is a hard battle. I had to keep using points to make my team's max HP go higher because of how damaging the Hell's Flash attacks can be.

nik0tine
03-19-2005, 04:17 AM
Well, your first problem is that you're wasting time on Xenosaga. Go play Xenogears.

I've already played Xenogears, but thanks anyway.

As for your information...

How do I get Medica-all?

Also, Chaos's AWGS isn't bad, but I have yet to upgrade Shion's, so it really sucks.

And I don't exactly know what W-ACT is. I don't fully understand the features of this game yet, which is a problem.

Thanks for the info.

LH
03-19-2005, 04:25 AM
Medica-All is something Shion learns. I don't really remember which path to take for it, but I imagine it stems from evolving Medica. You know how to learn new Ethers right?

As for W-ACT, it's an option in your menu when you are piloting an AGWS. Make sure you have identical weapons in your AGWS right and left hands to use it.

This would be easier if I cared enough about XS to know more about it, huh? ;)

nik0tine
03-19-2005, 04:40 AM
Unfortunately I don't know how to learn new Ethers. I have a general Idea but I could never seem to get that "tree" thing to work. It would never do anything other than cycle through the abilities I already had.

Yuzuki130
03-19-2005, 05:06 AM
OH MY GOD, I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU GOT THAT FAR AND DON'T KNOW HOW TO LEARN NEW ETHER. :eek: :eek: :eek: I'll find you a good FAQ that explains everything and post it later...

Necronopticous
03-19-2005, 05:08 AM
OH MY GOD, I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU GOT THAT FAR AND DON'T KNOW HOW TO LEARN NEW ETHER. lol... My thoughts exactly.

Yuzuki130
03-19-2005, 05:13 AM
Go here (http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/xenosaga_j.txt) and check the "Ether" section. That should clear things up. I hope that helps! Post anymore questions if you have them!

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-19-2005, 05:33 AM
In essence, you need to "evolve" ether, so evolve Medica spending the ether points you have and you should be able to get Medica-All. As a side note, I find it usually helps to give Medica-All to every character you have, that way anyone can heal on any turn and you aren't relying on Shion. It's a darned useful spell. By the way, in order to give Medica-All to everybody, you need to hit Transfer on the actual ether you want to learn.

The Captain
03-19-2005, 05:37 AM
I had all sorts of trouble with that boss too Nick, though nothing compared to the one I encountered later in the game in the Encephalon.

Best of luck to you. It may indeed be wise to brush up on some of the helpful hints regarding battle such as W-ACT and the like as they will become essential later in the game.

Take care all.

strawberryman
03-19-2005, 05:52 AM
The gargoyle did'nt give me any trouble.
To 'evolve' ethers, just go under the use ether pts. thing, and spend those points. :cool:
Then when you're done, just assign your skills.

nik0tine
03-19-2005, 08:30 AM
Ok thanks for the information guys... I have, however, come across one last problem. I don't have enough points. All I can do is evolve Medica once, and then I don't have enough points to evolve it again. This is the same with every single character I have... Have I been doing something drastically wrong?

strawberryman
03-19-2005, 08:35 AM
Ok thanks for the information guys... I have, however, come across one last problem. I don't have enough points. All I can do is evolve Medica once, and then I don't have enough points to evolve it again. This is the same with every single character I have... Have I been doing something drastically wrong?
I have no idea unless your game is screwed up. Either that or the points expire. :D

LH
03-19-2005, 03:23 PM
They don't expire. nik0tine probably isn't playing his bonuses right.

In the lower right hand corner of the screen there is a little rectangle that changes after every turn. When there is a picture of a gold coin with a + by it and you kill an enemy, it multiplies the amount of points you get by 2, 4, or 10. That's how you accrue serious points. Go battle more.

And sign up here (http://bbs.the-ethos.org). If you need a reference to register, PM me here and I'll hook you up.

Yuzuki130
03-19-2005, 03:35 PM
I think you should start over and pay close attention to the tutorial in the beginning when it talks about the event slot. I'm pretty sure that there's an ether tutorial somewhere in the game if you still don't get it.

ffrinoa8
03-20-2005, 09:03 PM
get stonger...

nik0tine
03-20-2005, 09:17 PM
Good idea ffrinoa8. That never even crossed my mind.

nik0tine
03-22-2005, 05:29 AM
Sorry for the double post, but I think it is okay in this case, seeing as how this post has nothing to do with my previous post. Sorry mods if this is out of line.

Anyways, I just would like to inform you all that I beat this guy a few days ago. Thanks alot for all of the information. Things are going much smoother now that I have some idea of what I am doing.

Necronopticous
03-22-2005, 06:32 AM
Good to hear, hope you're enjoying.

nik0tine
03-22-2005, 09:07 AM
Indeed I am, Necronopticous.

However, I need help YET AGAIN!

Now im in the encephalon and Tiamut is whooping my ass. I read a guide, and it helped a little, but not much. One thing I did notice though, is that he mentioned something called the "double buster". The author asid to gaurd with Jr. until he has six AP (Which can be accomplished by gaurding for one turn, correct?) The author then said to input Trianle, circle, circle, OR square, circle, circle to active this "double buster". However, both of these are invalid commands. They don't do anything.

So, can someone explain what this double buster is and how to use it? Also, could you please provide me with an acceptable strategy to beat this SOB if you happen to have one? Thanks.

square_is_the_best
03-23-2005, 03:55 AM
Tiamut is the one in the church right?

Double Buster is an equipable accessory you can get form one of the segment addresses. It is the one near the beginning of the encephalon under the first bridge. To get there, you need to go down the NORTH manhole in that maze-like area. That will bring you under the bridge. You fight an ogre or something like that on the way and the seg add is beyond that gnosis. I THINK its address 2, not sure though.

Skystone
03-23-2005, 06:26 AM
Indeed I am, Necronopticous.

However, I need help YET AGAIN!

Now im in the encephalon and Tiamut is whooping my ass. I read a guide, and it helped a little, but not much. One thing I did notice though, is that he mentioned something called the "double buster". The author asid to gaurd with Jr. until he has six AP (Which can be accomplished by gaurding for one turn, correct?) The author then said to input Trianle, circle, circle, OR square, circle, circle to active this "double buster". However, both of these are invalid commands. They don't do anything.

So, can someone explain what this double buster is and how to use it? Also, could you please provide me with an acceptable strategy to beat this SOB if you happen to have one? Thanks.
I never bothered to get Double Buster (hell, I beat the game without any of the good accessories, and at a low level too), but I'll tell you how to beat him without it.

For Tiamat; his attributes reflect either Shion's or Jr.'s souls. Essentially, that means he'll attack differently and have different weaknesses based on which of those two goes immediately before him.

If Junior goes before him, Tiamat will switch to 'Jr. Mode' and use a single-target physical attack on one of your characters. He will also be weak to ether attacks during this state. I used boost to make sure that Jr. went 1-2 turns before Tiamat, and then had Shion and Chaos pummel him with ether attacks. Just don't let him go into 'Shion Mode' or he'll use a rather strong multi-target attack that deals a couple hundred damage to everyone.

As long as you Life Shot/Medica All continously with Shion, it should be relatively easily. Just remember that you MUST kill Tiamat with Jr. and Shion, not your third character.

nik0tine
03-23-2005, 06:52 AM
Thank you skystone.

However, I win. This thread has outlived it's usefulness. Mods can close it if they like.