PDA

View Full Version : Need help with design

TooMpa
03-19-2005, 03:17 PM
Hi all would need some help with the design on my page..
Is there anything I need to change or does it look ok?

www.hardreviews.com

Im not trying to advertise !!!!!!

Greatful for help.. :D

Yuzuki130
03-19-2005, 03:21 PM
Looks fine to me! Very nice. :)

TooMpa
03-19-2005, 04:31 PM
Any thing we need to change?

rubah
03-19-2005, 06:25 PM
There's a horizontal scroll bar. It seems to me that you have large enough margins on either side to eliminate, as they are much annoyance to those of us using 800x600.

Your icon pictures could use a drastic size reduction. While using PNG is admirable, there's no reason why a static image that's 85x85 should be 50-100kb. With all the pngs on there, it takes quite a while to load on a modem (admittedly that gives me more time to type this:D) so reoptimizing your images would be a very good idea.

A few horizontal rules on your sponsors page would make it a bit easier to read, and maybe combine the smaller logos to two on a line so it looks a bit more organized rather than slapped down in a line.

But overall, very nice and clean if a bit wide and heavy of images:)

Xander
03-19-2005, 06:31 PM
For some reason it's not even working for me >_> My internet is weird today. I get a blank brown page. Unless it's something to do with the pop up stopper.

Alice
03-19-2005, 06:33 PM
no one uses 800x600 anymore.. its not default any longer so there is no need to comform to those rules anymore...

I agree on the icons.. try saving them as gif :) you will get just about the exact same quality because no one really pays attention so much.

I dont like that it looks like its just kinda floating there, you should center the entire thing to give itself some "control" and maybe instead of white use a another color.. the layout could use some work... but my number 1 dislike is the black and white clash with green!

I really like the navigation at the top and the system for organization works very well! I always try to think of great new designs to increase ease in navigation and urs is pretty rockin!

Xander
03-19-2005, 06:37 PM
Some people stilll use 800x600 and I still design for it. I guess it mostly depends on your target audience and what they are likely to be using, but I still prefer to be safe and make sure it fits in that resolution. You can always just use an 100% table thing anyway so it wouldn't matter. But yeah I can't see the site boo ;_;

Jojee
03-19-2005, 06:42 PM
I still design for 800 x 600, as well. Most <i>webdesigners</i> don't use 800 x 600 anymore, but many web surfers still do.

rubah
03-19-2005, 07:07 PM
no one uses 800x600 anymore.. its not default any longer so there is no need to comform to those rules anymore..

Hi, my name's no one.

I figure 1024x768 users will still be able to see all the content, and so will the people using 800x600. Complaining about wasted space is their issue.

Oh. oh. oh.

Answer to the icon trouble:

Make actual thumbnails. Don't just set the image size. Actually resize them. It'll help get rid of the roughness (artifact of pixel resizing) and they'll be a ton smaller inherently.