PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS

VoodooChild
03-19-2005, 08:50 PM
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone has bought the new Nintendo DS. Im thinking of buying one, but I am not sure if its worth the money.

What do you think about the DS?

Craig
03-19-2005, 09:02 PM
It's got it's charms. I've played my friends. Though i'll be waiting for more games to come out first.

Lindy
03-19-2005, 09:04 PM
There are no good, non-gimmicky games out for it right now, and none that I can see coming out.

Personally, I wouldn't bother.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-19-2005, 09:06 PM
There are no games I really want for it right now, but I should have one by the time Katamary Damacy DS and Castlevania DS are out.

Shoden
03-19-2005, 09:11 PM
the "gizmondo" is supposed to be better than the DS or PSP so keep your money for that

Yamaneko
03-19-2005, 09:15 PM
I'd only get in for Castlevania, but I'll probably just emulate it.

Craig
03-19-2005, 09:43 PM
Wouldn't it be hard to emulate DS games, because of the touch screen? Or am I just completely wrong?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-19-2005, 10:20 PM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=57571

Del Murder
03-19-2005, 10:57 PM
I will probably get it for FFIII. Hopefully there will be a price break by then.

Rye
03-19-2005, 11:04 PM
Super Mario 64 for it is pretty fun, but I play it on my brother's DS.

Ryth
03-20-2005, 12:37 AM
the "gizmondo" is supposed to be better than the DS or PSP so keep your money for that

But thats like what $460? Thats more than 2 PSPs speaking of which though I have a DS and it has potential as a system, but Sony has dethroned Nintendo as the handheld king it has movies, pictures, games of course, and loads of stuff and the quality of the visuals is awe-shocking and the game graphics are awesome, the picture is big and it has a analog stick, though that isn't too great, I say if you can afford both get both but (DS $150, PSP $200) if you can't get the PSP the others are too expensive and/or not as good (N-Gage, Gizmondo, etc). The PSP is the best purchase.

Lindy
03-20-2005, 01:52 AM
Graphics quality, movies, blah blah blah.

It's all moot, since neither system has great games out right now, and the games that may be coming out are just not worth buying a stupidly expensive hand-held system for just one or two games.

That's something I will standby until the units drop to a decent price, along with the games, and at least 5~10 decent, enjoyable (that's enjoyable by my standards) games are released.

Xalioniaf
03-20-2005, 02:48 AM
Graphics don't make a great game! It's almost everythign else. Besides, the PSP's battery life is horrendously horrible. I have a DS, and I play it with my friends at school, and use it to play GBA games, as well.

Endless
03-20-2005, 09:48 AM
Super Mario 64 for it is pretty fun, but I play it on my brother's DS.

Same, but I play it on mine. I'm waiting for Yoshi to be out here in Europe, and until then I'll alternate between Mario and GBA games. I *might* get Mr Driller, but not sure about that.

Xander
03-20-2005, 01:19 PM
I think the DS is innovative but at the moment the games released for it do seem too gimmicky or just not worth buying the console for. When there are a few more games out that would interest me, seem more than a gimmick just to show off the use of the stylus, and also seem like they are worth paying 29.99 each for, then I will definately consider it. Because I think it could be a lot of fun but the games are really what's gonna make my mind up.

Tidus Andronicus
03-20-2005, 05:42 PM
Well, I would suggest the DS, if you wanted to buy a handheld...
its cheaper than the PSP, and the only thing I've seen thus far that it doesn't have is the propriatary movies and the slightly better graphics.
All the other features, people seem to get mixed up... the DS can do practically everything the PSP can, although those features may not be in use right now, they will in the near future. They've recently announced that the DS can play over the internet via your home/any wireless network. And it can play movies, if you buy a GBA movie player (stereo DS sound) ^_^ it can also play MP3s with a simmilar device, (maybe the same one, havent tryed yet.) and so much more. XD
In the end, the DS will probably have more games out for it, and if not, it can still play GBA games, so you don't have to buy a GBA for those. ^_^;
Rather than do another side by side comparision, I just suggest you get a DS. XD

BatChao
03-20-2005, 10:00 PM
Yea... a lot of the games out for it are a little gimmicky, but that should change in the near future. Yoshi's Touch and Go is a good example on a non-gimmicky game out right now. Other cool games to look out for are:
-Castlevania DS
-Advance Wars DS
-Animal Crossing DS
-Ninja Gaiden DS
-Pokemon DS

And about the PSP... the DS isn't 'supposed' to be a direct competitor of the PSP (though the fact that the two released very close to each other will make them compete anyway). The new GBA (release date unknown) will probably be on par with the PSP in terms of graphical power. Also... it I've been playing with the PSP for many months now and the major thing that's putting me off is the shoddy build quality and the horrendous load times (it takes like... 2 minutes just to boot a game up!). As a handheld device, I like quick games... on a bus or waiting for someone, I can just boot a game up and play. That's not to say the PSP isn't cool, because it is... that sexy LCD screen is awesome. And the thing can put out some awesome visuals... but those things I mentioned are enough to make we wait for a price drop.

The Shoeless Hobo
03-25-2005, 07:52 AM
Personally, I only got the NDS because the PSP's been delayed...

Dreddz
03-25-2005, 09:15 AM
Personally, I only got the NDS because the PSP's been delayed...

You should of bought it off eBay.
People say the PSP is too pricey but its not that much.
For Ł200 or $350???
You get 2 games. I got darkstalkers and Ridge Racer both great games.
All accesories like ear phones case etc
And the PSP its great!!!

Daggers64
03-25-2005, 03:38 PM
I love the DS! XD

Its so much better than the psp!

Besides, all that crap about the PSP being wireless and playing movies... The DS can do that too! =P The DS can do everything the PSP can...

There have also been a number of new features announced for the DS that will come with games that use them! When a game offers internet play, it will come with a bios upgrade so that you can play over the internet with friends!
And the DS's internet service will be completely free! =p

Also, just wait for the GBA 2! Its gonna be even better! Nintendo has stated that the GBA 2 is the real compeditor to the PSP! They released the DS to see how the whole inovative touch screen thing would to, and to at least have something on the market before the PSP... but once the GBA 2 comes out, no one will want a psp! ^__^ *can't wait*

Sephex
03-25-2005, 04:15 PM
I have one, and I am loving it. I like how much better the screen looks for GBA games alone. I am kind of pissed at Nintendo for having all their cool games so far away, but I am sure the wait will be worth it.

Dreddz
03-25-2005, 04:49 PM
has any of you actually played the PSP cause yolu lot are all saying the DS is better but havent even played the PSP. Ive got the PSP and played the DS and PSP is loads better!

NM
03-25-2005, 06:19 PM
has any of you actually played the PSP cause yolu lot are all saying the DS is better but havent even played the PSP. Ive got the PSP and played the DS and PSP is loads better!

Firstly, the PSP hasn't even been released world wide yet. It's only just been released in North America. Europe won't be seeing the system till sometime in the summer, so you can't expect everyone to have had ago on one. People can only base an opinion on what they know.

Secondly. Why is the PSP better than the DS? And don't just say because it has better graphics.

I have a DS and think it's great. Warioware, is the type of game that wouldn't be possible without the touch screen and is proof that gameplay will always win over graphics.

I have nothing against the PSP, but at the moment it's got some issues that need fixing before i'll consider buying one. The dodgy square buttons, the crappy battery life, etc. I'll try one out when there available in the UK, but until then i'm sticking with my DS.

Dreddz
03-25-2005, 07:48 PM
People in europe can still get one off eBay. Even if its a Japanese copy the system is region free so it can play games all round the world. Thats a good thing about the PSP. The screen is larger and the sound quality is far better than the DS. The controls are brilliant and the PSP is alot smaller and portable than the chunky DS. Looks better and you can link it up to the tele and play it full screen. Dont judge it before playing it or even touching it. Oh yer its got better graphics :p

NM
03-25-2005, 08:29 PM
People in europe can still get one off eBay.

Your average gamer isn't going to import a console without trying it out, especially when it cost around Ł150.

Even if its a Japanese copy the system is region free so it can play games all round the world. Thats a good thing about the PSP.

The DS is also region free. Just like the GBA is. Infact my DS is a Japanese unit.

The screen is larger and the sound quality is far better than the DS.

Granted the PSP's screen is bigger. As for the sound quality. I don't know about the PSP, but the DS output's Stereo sound, which is good enough for me.

The controls are brilliant

The only thing the PSP has over the DS is a proper analouge stick, which technically the DS has if you use the thumb strap and the touch screen.

the PSP is alot smaller and portable than the chunky DS.

Admitedly the DS is abit of an ugly duckling, but i'd hardly call it "chunky."

you can link it up to the tele and play it full screen.

If I want game's on the TV i'll play them on a PS2.

Dont judge it before playing it or even touching it.

I didn't. I just mentioned the known faults, which are putting me of buying one.

Dreddz
03-25-2005, 10:10 PM
All im saying is that no one can say the DS is better without playing the PSP. But to me its not about which one is better its your own personal choice. If you prefer the DS get the DS. If you prefer the PSP ( me then ) get the PSP

NM
03-25-2005, 10:21 PM
I agree. It's all down to personnel choice. However, I never said one system was better than the other. :D

As long as Sony fix the problems with the PSP, i'll be getting one myself.

omnitarian
03-25-2005, 10:41 PM
If Sony decided to release a new handheld made to patch up PSP's rough spots... would they call it the PSP SP?

... Bad joke. :(

Xalioniaf
03-26-2005, 06:09 PM
My friend got a PSP for 250$, like everyone else. However, he got a thingy online that extends the crappy battery life, although it makes the PSP chunky as hell. I'll see if I can get a picture of it.

A couple of days ago, I went and got Wario Ware and Yoshi! Yoshi is really fun, although I lost it right now >.<. I think it's in my backpack. Wario Ware is awesome too, but it's too short. I'm trying to get the golden crowns right now. Right now, I'm waiting for other games while playing FFTA.

Dreddz
03-26-2005, 07:41 PM
Please tell me more about this battery life enhancer

Xalioniaf
03-27-2005, 06:20 AM
hell, I don't know much about it. All I know is that it's from the mythical place known as "on-line" and it's chunky as hell.

Rase
03-27-2005, 07:14 AM
*Steers thread back on topic*

I think the DS is a good system with it's pros and cons. Currently, there aren't enough good titles to warant my buying one, but from the looks of what's to come, I may have to get it. From what I've played on my friends, it controls fine, the tough pad works great, and the Stereo sound is a godsend. :)

Xalioniaf
03-27-2005, 11:45 PM
Dude, if Animal Crossing goes online, that'd be awesome. Going to someone else's town and screwing up their town...fun, fun, fun.

Daggers64
03-28-2005, 12:27 AM
Its not "if" ^_^/

Animal Crossing will have online features when it comes out. ^_^
You will be able to visit other people's towns over the internet! And there will be other features as well... like chatting and such.

Xalioniaf
03-29-2005, 11:47 PM
There should also be an adapter to play single-and-multi-card games over a satalite. You'd buy a hub, where your DS would send wireless data to it, where it would send the data to the satalite, where it would send the data to anyone who wanted to download it. It would come with the hub and a GBA cart that contains the info for transmition and stuff.

Orcan Fang
04-01-2005, 03:40 PM
I have one too ! I just got back from vaction and while I was there I bought Poke'mon Dash .Boy does that game suuuccccckkkkk.I beat regular mode in one day or less, hard in at most , one and a half .......... and well , i have difficulties with expert mode . you can download new cups from gba pokemon games though, so there's somethin' to do when your giggly!!!

:smash: and die!!!!! :chop: