PDA

View Full Version : Need to replace the alternator on my car

-N-
03-20-2005, 12:55 AM
I've got a 1993 Camry LE that needs an alternator replaced - anyone have any experience with this operation? Any general tips? I'm researching elsewhere, but I would also like input from you guys.

edit: It could also be the fusable link and not the alternator, but I have no idea what this thing looks like, and I can only guess it's near the starter...

rubah
03-20-2005, 02:12 AM
alternators are expensive.

Get a good one so you won't have to do it again.

Unfortunately I'm a chick. which isn't so bad, but I'm one with almost no car knowledge, so I give you what I remember from when the alternator on my parents' blazer went out a couple of years ago:

it sucked.

Go to O'reily's or autozone. I'm sure they know more than me. that's where dad got his anyways.

Rusty
03-20-2005, 12:46 PM
The alternator itself is fairly easy to replace as there are only two bolts holding it. One is the bolt it pivots on and the other the one that is used to fully tighten it when you have refitted the alternator belt to it's correct tension.
The fusible link is usually located at the battery itself on the positive lead.
To check the alternator you only need to have a volt meter. Place the two leads from the meter on the negative and postive terminals of the battery (red to red, black to black). Check the voltage with the motor stopped. You should have just over 12 volts. Start the motor and check again woith the motor at idle speed. Should still have about the same reading. Rev the engine up to ~ 2000 RPM and check that the voltage rises. Needs to be up around the 13.5 - 14 volts.
If the voltage does not rise, replace the alternator.

Leeza
03-20-2005, 05:27 PM
A few months back I thought that I had a problem with my alternator as well, but it turned out to be one or the coils for the spark plugs that needed replacing. So, maybe check those as well if you're not sure about the alternator.

Flying Mullet
03-21-2005, 02:16 PM
And if you are planning on doing the car work yourself, I would recommend buying a Hanes manual. They are very helpful and cover any and everything you might want to know about working on your car: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1563923106/qid=1111414588/sr=8-4/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl14/102-8527492-5257765?v=glance&s=books&n=507846