PDA

View Full Version : Aeris

Crop
03-20-2005, 07:19 PM
Hello everyone, i just regesterd here so i thaught id say hi!
Anyway after compleating FF7 a while ago i desided to have another shot at it and have just got through disc one

Crop

redxiiii
03-20-2005, 07:32 PM
Let me be the first to say welcome to eyes on ff :D
And yes it was a very sad moment in the game :cry: the music made it even sadder :(

Chris
03-20-2005, 07:34 PM
Welcome crop, have a good one.

Edit: and yes, Aeris' death sent me right to the ground.

:)

Shoden
03-20-2005, 07:36 PM
yeah Welcome to EyesonFF

yeah Aeris was a sad loss in the game in both story and battle

TheAbominatrix
03-20-2005, 08:09 PM
Not for me. I enjoyed it very much.

nik0tine
03-20-2005, 08:13 PM
I had it spoiled for me before I even played the game, so it wasn't all that sad to me.

Chris
03-20-2005, 08:37 PM
Not for me. I enjoyed it very much.

I bet you did, ha.

Levian
03-20-2005, 10:52 PM
The first time I played, I didn't understand that she died, because the disc had some scratch and it skipped all of the FMW's, so she kinda just disappeared. Yah, her funeral was an FMW too. But then they started talking and then I understood. It was very sad indeed. No wait, it wasn't. My mistake. :roll:

Ultima Shadow
03-20-2005, 11:08 PM
It's one of the sadest moments ever in an FF game.

Trumpet Thief
03-20-2005, 11:41 PM
chaos: Meh, her death was too overrated. After knowing her for one disk, it seemed to have a great effect on everyone. What about the General Leo, people? :(

Albedo: *Laughs maniacally*

Levian
03-20-2005, 11:44 PM
What about the General Leo, people? :(

General Leo did not have boobs imho.

Trumpet Thief
03-20-2005, 11:50 PM
chaos: You're just saying that to be mean. :(

Ultima Shadow
03-20-2005, 11:59 PM
It's one of the sadest moments ever in an FF game.
I never said that it was "the" sadest. And Aeris death is touching mainly because of the touching music.

And... well... General Leo HAD no boobs...

Yuffie514
03-21-2005, 12:06 AM
yup, her death is still sad :crying2: :p . i trained so much in disc 1 'cuz i wasn't ready to let her go :erm: . i eventually beat the game however :eyebrow: . welcome, btw ;) !

Wrath1
03-21-2005, 08:15 AM
I'm New Here Too... Please Forgive my words if they offend you all *Bows* I cried really hard when Aeris died... She's so innocent yet... had to leave this world... Really the saddest moment of the FF series :cry:

Chris
03-21-2005, 02:18 PM
Welcome to you too :)

Crop
03-21-2005, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the welcome everyone! Glad i wasnt the only one who found that part sad.

Sky 7000 2000
03-24-2005, 05:28 AM
First of all, Welcome! I haven't been here that long myself. Woo for the Noobz! Or whatever they say...........Anyways, Aeris death ticked me RIGHT off! I got her on my team and I never took her off. I trained her so hard. She was the BEST on my team. Then what, she goes and DIES! WTF! Needless to say, I didn't play it for a whole week. Then I got over her death and decided that Red X was much cooler anyways. *grumbleStupidAerisgrumble* Besides, once you start a game you have to finish. The game was calling me and I have the box to prove it. Yes, it does talk. Don't look at me like that. You're just jealous cause you can't hear the voices :D

Sasquatch
03-24-2005, 06:58 AM
I didn't givvadamn, to tell you the truth. I had already known about it for a long time (how old is FF7? I got it like three years ago), I just didn't know when it was gonna happen. Plus, it's not like she had her own special abilities compared to any other characters (except limit breaks), so it wasn't that much of a loss. Oh boo hoo, I lost a weak, insignificant character?

This sounds rude. Yeah. Sorry, don't mean it to be, she just never made too much of a difference to me.

Nii
03-24-2005, 07:03 AM
Why didn't they just give her a pheonix down to bring her back to life?

Crop
03-24-2005, 09:13 AM

omg that is EXACTLY what me and my brother always say! :D

Nova Briar
03-24-2005, 02:05 PM
Welcome to the forums from one noob to another. ^.^

Anyways, Aeris death ticked me RIGHT off! I got her on my team and I never took her off. I trained her so hard. She was the BEST on my team. Then what, she goes and DIES! WTF!
Hah...I can laugh because I did the same thing, training her and ignoring my other characters only to have her killed off just like that. I wasn't sad when Aeris died, I was angry. ;) But the next time I played it through, I just ignored her scrawny butt and trained up Red XII/Vincent in her place. Experience is the best teacher. :D

Ultima Shadow
03-24-2005, 02:59 PM
Because you don't actually revive characters with Pheonix Downs. When a characters HP is 0 in a battle, they are not actually dead. They are just KOed. A pheonix down won't work on someone who really is "dead".

meowwl
03-24-2005, 03:43 PM
Aeris always annoyed me..I kept wondering how the hell a 22 year old city girl who sold flowers in the rough neighborhoods was such a freaking ditzy wimp, let alone that innocent..being a city gal myself, I just don't get it. I kinda thought that she was going to die anyway because she went off alone to pray for holy..I assumed that obtaining such power would exact a price. I liked the swiftness of her death..nothing drawn out or lingering about it, one swift slice, through the descending aorta..If she were real, She'd have bled out internally in seconds..not even enough time for pain to get through the shock. If I had to pick a way to go, that would be it.

Squall of SeeD
03-24-2005, 03:58 PM
Because you don't actually revive characters with Pheonix Downs. When a characters HP is 0 in a battle, they are not actually dead. They are just KOed. A pheonix down won't work on someone who really is "dead".

There's also the fact that Phoenix Downs are part of battle mechanics and battle physics, which aren't part of the plot and cutscene physics.

Crop
03-24-2005, 06:42 PM
Aeris always annoyed me..I kept wondering how the hell a 22 year old city girl who sold flowers in the rough neighborhoods was such a freaking ditzy wimp, let alone that innocent..being a city gal myself, I just don't get it. I kinda thought that she was going to die anyway because she went off alone to pray for holy..I assumed that obtaining such power would exact a price. I liked the swiftness of her death..nothing drawn out or lingering about it, one swift slice, through the descending aorta..If she were real, She'd have bled out internally in seconds..not even enough time for pain to get through the shock. If I had to pick a way to go, that would be it.

Says the guy with a sephy avatar! lol :p

Julia Heartilly
03-24-2005, 06:48 PM
As for me, someone already told me she was gonna die, so that part was ruined for me. But if they redo it in AC, I hope it has some blood this time.

Nova Briar
03-24-2005, 10:03 PM
Aeris always annoyed me..I kept wondering how the hell a 22 year old city girl who sold flowers in the rough neighborhoods was such a freaking ditzy wimp, let alone that innocent..being a city gal myself, I just don't get it.
I'll concede that Aeris had a pretty "unlikely" personality...but some people really do turn out like that. My sister and I grew up in a rough neighborhood (yay for the slums! :D) and she, to this day, is both naive and rather defenseless. It's weird, but there's your real-life example...not just video-game fiction.

As for me, someone already told me she was gonna die, so that part was ruined for me. But if they redo it in AC, I hope it has some blood this time.
If they've got brains they will...no one gets stabbed through the stomach and doesn't bleed, unless they don't have blood in the first place. :eek: But they might not show a close-up of Aeris' dead body in AC, either...the only shots I've seen (in trailers) are from a distance.

~Tenderness~
03-25-2005, 02:36 PM
I don't see the big deal about her dying after you've trained her and why she should be ignored the next time through. Her skills can be just as useful they were the first time and it's easy enough to have characters on a rotation system so that each character is used on disc and so they learn a few new skills enough to replace Aerith without having much trouble in fights. The only way I can see it being a big deal is if you use the exact same three characters for the entire game in which case it's not just a big deal with Aeris but with the other remaining characters apart from the chosen three. Personally I don't use the exact same three characters from start to finish, on disc one I use Aerith/Tifa/Cloud then Cloud/Tifa/Cid or Yuffie and on discs two and three Cloud/Cid/Tifa, Cloud/Cid/Yuffie or Cloud/Tifa/Yuffie :)

As for her being ditzy she was one of the most intelligent characters in the game, it was she who figured out a way to rescue Tifa from Don Corneo's, it was she who figured out what Sephiroth's plans were in the temple of the ancients and it was she who figured out what she had to do in order to do her part to help the planet. Also just because Aerith sometimes had an optimistic friendly exuberant personality doesn't mean that she wasn't street smart. Also such personality traits do not mean she was completely innocent. She was street smart enough to know what Don Corneo's places were, enough to bargain with traders such as the time she bargained with and convinced a man in Wall Market to make a dress for Cloud and enough to receive good money for her flowers in Wall Market. She's referred to in the game as a good business woman and her business talent is again commented on in Itadaki Street Special, I heard that Tifa a fellow business woman says that Aerith has a knack for making profits :)

She was also very brave at times such as the time she gave herself up to protect Marlene and when she followed her destiny by praying for Holy.

I kind of find it sad that if you're kind, friendly or optimistic as Aerith was or indeed as I am and others that I know are you get thought of as stupid :(

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
03-26-2005, 04:48 AM
That was a great essay, Tenderness.

Yeah, Aeris was intelligent as well as very kind.

As for her death, it did bother me when I was much younger. I was paging through my official guide, and noticed a pic of Aeris with a sword through her, and a statement on the next page: "Now that Aeris is dead. . ." So, I saw it coming after I reached a certain point in the game. I sort of cried, but the effect was sort of elevated a bit since I change names to incorporate myself into the game. I had a crush on a classmate named Danielle at the time, so it was really sad to see her die and me saying those things about her. I still beat the game though--wait, I can't remember if I was able to beat Sephiroth, though. I went back at again once or twice, changing the names around now that I knew about Tifa and Cloud, and kicked Sephiroth's butt.

meowwl
03-26-2005, 11:18 AM
I think I've figured out why Aeris annoyed me so much..she acts like a cheerleader, :irked: in pink! She reminds me of the girls that joined the cheerleading squad or the drill team and acted ever after like their brains had disappeared, regardless of their real intelligence.. At least in front of the boys anyway. :rolleyes: By the way, does anyone look at profiles anymore?.. :confused: maybe I should change my name to meowwl's a sitter not a pointer, or meowwl the 30 year old fangirl? :tongue: :lol:

TurkSlayer
03-26-2005, 07:37 PM
I never really liked her, but in some ways her death was pretty sad. However, the fisrt time I played my characters were underleveled and I kept losing to jenova, so I had to watch it about at least 5 times. I eventually grew to enjoy it. I always liked Tifa better anyway. The music was good too.

Nova Briar
03-27-2005, 02:44 AM
The music definitely did add to the emotion...and about the third time through, it actually had me feeling a bit sorry for Aeris even though she was one of my less favorite characters. Without Aeris' Theme, I don't think the scene would have been half so sad, even to people whose favorite character is Aeris.

TurkSlayer
03-27-2005, 07:11 AM
Now that I think about it, your right! i don't think i would have found it sad at all without the music.

Cybele
03-27-2005, 07:22 AM
What is with the incredibly die hard Tifa fans? I just don't get it because I never saw her as much. She didn't have that much personality, well at least not any that you didn't need a microscope to find. I really just don't get it...and everytime they love Tifa, they must hate Aeris because that is the "law". I'm not too fond of Tifa, I just found her plain, but I don't hate her with a passion in the way that some people hate Aeris. Aeris is one of my favorite characters and I found her death sad, even though I saw that FMV before I even played the game. Everytime someone hates Aeris with a passion, I now just automatically assume that Tifa is their favorite character because that is usually the case. Whew! I got that off my chest! Sorry for ranting, but this has been building up for a while. I'm sorry if I've offended anyone and it's just my opinion. And just for the record, Tifa's boobs were demeaning to her character, especially with that skimpy outfit. Okay, I feel A LOT better now. Again, terribly sorry.

TheAbominatrix
03-27-2005, 07:29 AM
Why do you dislike Tifa and like Aerith? Why do I dislike Aerith and like Tifa? Because they're very different. People who like a character like Tifa dont typically like a character like Aerith, particularily with Aerith's rude treatment to Tifa (yes I know, she's 'holy', but I found her treatment of Tifa with the flirtation with Cloud to be downright cruel).

As for her 'breasts' being demeaning... why do her breasts have to come into play at all? What does that have to do with her character? I found her brimming with personality. She was kind, shy, and optimistic. She did her best to try and challenge Cloud's false memories without straight-out telling him he was wrong and possibly destroying his fragile psyche.

I dislike Aerith very much, but I dont hate her with a passion. The passionate hate usually roots from one thing: Cloud. Most supporters of the girls want their girl to be with Cloud, and that causes heads to butt.

Cybele
03-27-2005, 07:42 AM
Why do you dislike Tifa and like Aerith? Why do I dislike Aerith and like Tifa? Because they're very different. People who like a character like Tifa dont typically like a character like Aerith, particularily with Aerith's rude treatment to Tifa (yes I know, she's 'holy', but I found her treatment of Tifa with the flirtation with Cloud to be downright cruel).

As for her 'breasts' being demeaning... why do her breasts have to come into play at all? What does that have to do with her character? I found her brimming with personality. She was kind, shy, and optimistic. She did her best to try and challenge Cloud's false memories without straight-out telling him he was wrong and possibly destroying his fragile psyche.

I dislike Aerith very much, but I dont hate her with a passion. The passionate hate usually roots from one thing: Cloud. Most supporters of the girls want their girl to be with Cloud, and that causes heads to butt.

Sorry, I just really needed to get that off my chest. Like I said, I don't hate Tifa, I just never cared for her. Actually, I probably wouldn't even have an opinion about her if not for her major fan base and the people who mindlessly bash Aeris because of her. I think some of her fans have influenced my opinion more so than she has (but you've been quite polite and I greatly respect that). I've always liked characters like Aeris and I'm probably one of the few people who actually liked both Cait Sith and Eiko. I never found Aeris to be rude, she really just wanted to get to know him because he reminded her of someone she once knew and she wasn't far off either since he thought he was Zack in a way. I thought it was a bit mean of Tifa to just act like Cloud had nothing wrong and never even hinted at it until his actual mind was at stake, but that's just me. And about her breasts...um, let's just say I don't like it when they make a character who's supposed to be as wonderful as Tifa and then make her appearance so...I don't know how exactly to describe it, but unfitting. Her appearance when she was younger was much more fitting for her character. I just have an over all problem with skimpy dressed characters, so don't mind me. That's just a weird thing I have issues with, probably because everyone I've known who's dressed that way has been a total slut and Tifa most certaintly isn't.

TheAbominatrix
03-27-2005, 07:53 AM
I understand, and I just felt the need to express my opinion as well.

Both sides of this fanbase get these things from the other. The Tifa/Aerith rivalry is extremely bitter and cruel.

As for her breasts.. well for one it's something Nomura likes to design, and also it's important to realize that breast size and clothing doesnt impact a person's character and kindness. I think her clothing has to do with her fighting style. Aerith, for example, could wear anything since she isnt really a fighter (and only uses a rod at that), but very physical fighters like Tifa and Yuffie need to wear tighter, less restrictive clothing.

And, as for Tifa not telling Cloud, I understand... but I respect Tifa's decision. I think if she had told Cloud at the beginning he would have either broken down or written her off, and it was important for her to stick close to him and guide his memories when she could, without forcing him.

Squall of SeeD
03-27-2005, 08:00 AM
Not to step into the landmine field that is the Aerith/Tifa rivalry (which, ironically, only exists among the two ladies' fans), but one thing I want to point out is that Tifa not telling Cloud the truth wasn't malicious. She explains to him why she didn't, and her reasons were caring:

Tifa
"I've been hiding it for some time, afraid that if I told you...
something terrible might happen."
"But, I'm not going to hide anything anymore."

Tifa
"You weren't here. Cloud did not come to Nibelheim five years
ago."

Considering the weak state of Cloud's mind and the effects that were rendered unto him by JENOVA/Sephiroth telling him that his memories were illusions, she was more than likely correct in her assumption. Her simply telling him what happened is quite different than when she was within his mind and was able to guide him and show him.

TurkSlayer
03-27-2005, 03:11 PM
In this discussion, i am obviously a Tifa fan. Aeris always struck me as useless character, herpersonality was annoying, and the whole flirting thing got me too. Tifa was someone whose personality I liked a lot better, and she was a stronger character. And your not alone Terra*Aeris, I to am one of few who actually liked Cait Sith, however I didn't like Eiko. Quina should have eaten her. Or Aeris. More power to canniblism!

Joshkabob
03-27-2005, 07:50 PM
The reason why I hate her is because,
1: Weak as hell.
2:Limit's=suckzorz.

Nova Briar
03-28-2005, 12:37 AM
First, let me say...Squall of SeeD and TheAbominatrix are so smart. :D Not sucking up or anything, but you made your points far more eloquently than I could have. ^_^ Anyway, to add my two bits in...I didn't think Aeris' limit breaks really sucked. They were the only ones (that I know of--admittedly not an expert) geared specifically for aiding the party instead of damaging the enemy. They came in real handy when you were in a boss battle and all your characters had low HP/status ailments/whatever. That's not why I dislike her...no, it's mostly just her personality.

Tifa (who I could really relate to much more) came off as being more like someone I would readily befriend. Plus, even though she obviously liked Cloud, she backed off and pretty much let Aeris go after him, showing how selfless she truly was. Had the situation been reversed, I really don't think Aeris would have done the same, though I guess we'll never get a chance to know.

limallama
03-28-2005, 10:24 AM
aeris' lvl 4 limit was the greatest thing ever.
and as for phoenix down not reviving her, hows LIFE2?

TheAbominatrix
03-28-2005, 11:17 AM
Life 2 is the same thing. Life spells restore from KO. Your characters are not dead in battle. They are knocked out, incapcitated, swooning. If Life spells worked for actual death, no one would ever die in FF worlds. Life only restores from KO. Why they chose to name it Life is another thing entirely, but it does not bring anyone back from the dead. Just look at the description of the spell in the game.

And I'm pretty sure the name of the spell is Full-Life, not Life 2.

limallama
03-28-2005, 07:13 PM
point taken,

the materias called full life i think, spells life2, but in the words of radiohead, i might be wrong

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
03-28-2005, 09:52 PM
I think the name of the Materia is Revive, as in, you revive someone from being unconscious. I'm pretty sure they call the lvl2 spell Full Life, but anyone who cares can go to gamefaqs and verify.

So, yeah, it's like in FFV where Galuf dies, and casting life doesn't work. They tried it, but it didn't work..

limallama
03-28-2005, 10:09 PM
ive really gotta play the other FF games, from what ive heard they're all brilliant. ive got to the final fight on 8, but dont no any secrets. I've little knowledge on 10, borrowed it for about a week

Masamune·1600
03-31-2005, 02:25 AM
The materia is called Revive; the spells are Life and Life2. The name has been Full-Life in subsequent FF's (starting at FFVIII), but here the numerical spell categorization is still used. The spell was called Raise 2 in FFT, which was released between VII and VIII.

Ultima Shadow
03-31-2005, 03:16 AM
I've not been reading trough all this... but am I the only one who likes both Aeris and Tifa? :greenie:

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
03-31-2005, 04:32 AM
Hey, Aeris's cool. As characters per se, I like them both.

There is an interesting thread here going on called "City of Ancients." It talks about Aeris's death, and hacking the game, or at least a link there talks about this.

EDIT:
thread: http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=59086
website with stuff about Aeris, her death and hacking the game:
http://www.ff7citadel.com/secrets/sa_seen2.shtml

Read all those "what we shouldn't have seens," as they pertain to Aeris's death and are very interesting.

Yuffie514
03-31-2005, 04:34 AM
i like Tifa too -- just not in the way guys would. but she's a valuable asset in battle.

eestlinc
03-31-2005, 05:15 AM
The passionate hate usually roots from one thing: Cloud. Most supporters of the girls want their girl to be with Cloud, and that causes heads to butt.

Why must women be defined by the men in their lives?

TheAbominatrix
03-31-2005, 05:16 AM
Why must women be defined by the men in their lives?

I dunno, but Im pretty sure it's your fault.

eestlinc
03-31-2005, 05:19 AM
no, it's Shlup's fault. :D

For that matter, why did all the girls in ff7 love Cloud so much? He's stupid looking and a total head case!

Vyk
03-31-2005, 05:22 AM
As for her being ditzy she was one of the most intelligent characters in the game, it was she who figured out a way to rescue Tifa from Don Corneo's, it was she who figured out what Sephiroth's plans were in the temple of the ancients and it was she who figured out what she had to do in order to do her part to help the planet. Also just because Aerith sometimes had an optimistic friendly exuberant personality doesn't mean that she wasn't street smart. Also such personality traits do not mean she was completely innocent. She was street smart enough to know what Don Corneo's places were, enough to bargain with traders such as the time she bargained with and convinced a man in Wall Market to make a dress for Cloud and enough to receive good money for her flowers in Wall Market. She's referred to in the game as a good business woman and her business talent is again commented on in Itadaki Street Special, I heard that Tifa a fellow business woman says that Aerith has a knack for making profits :)

She was also very brave at times such as the time she gave herself up to protect Marlene and when she followed her destiny by praying for Holy.

I kind of find it sad that if you're kind, friendly or optimistic as Aerith was or indeed as I am and others that I know are you get thought of as stupid :(

You just got a kick ass star in my book.

The whole Aeris thing was kinda spoiled for me. Though I've never been big on spoilers having a profound effect at ruining things. It's the experience, not the knowlege. So it felt the same watching it as it would have if it just hit me. I didn't like watching Aeris die. I was quite fond of her really. And spent months obsessing over the rumors, trying out all the more likely ones, to try and bring her back. It wasn't because she was a decent fighter or anything. I just liked her personality, the air she carried about her, and I wanted to have her back around. It was indeed a sad loss. But I have to admit. The fire of hatred has never burned more fiercely for an FF villain, than what I felt towards Sephiroth after watching it for the first time.

Edit: By the way, not that it matters, but I like both the ladies for their own reasons. Though the only FF gal I've ever disliked was Yuna, so that's not very surprising.

Perducci
03-31-2005, 08:39 PM
I can't see how people can be upset that Aerith dies...
I mean, sure she can be useful in battle sometimes, but Sephiroth killing her is no different than Cloud and the group killing countless amounts of Monsters and soldiers. Just think how the families of the Soldiers are going to feel when they find out that some Spikey haired guy killed their Son/Husband/etc with his big sword.

And nobody thinks that its sad when You kill Heidegger and Scarlet?
Or when Reno kicks Don Corneo off the statue in Wutai.

Just because it doesn't have fancy music or a fancy FMV, you don't give two craps about other characters dying...

But yeah, I thought Aerith's death was pretty sad.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
03-31-2005, 09:04 PM
They presented those deaths in a comical fashion.

I thought Rude's death was powerful. Not tearjerking, but it was a powerful moment in the game.

And obviously Sephiroth's death. You feel excited until you see Cloud's expression on his face. :(

Perducci
03-31-2005, 10:15 PM
They presented those deaths in a comical fashion.

It's not comical for somebody to get pushed off a statue and die. You people make me sick.

I thought Rude's death was powerful. Not tearjerking, but it was a powerful moment in the game.

When does Rude die?

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
03-31-2005, 10:25 PM
whoops, I meant Rufus.

EDIT: and of course the Don's death was funny, under the context of how they presented the event in the midst of humor. You should react similarly to a looney tunes cartoon when the coyote as a little encounter with gravity. Obviously, if someone fell of a cliff in real life, that's NOT funny.

Megami
03-31-2005, 10:33 PM
Yes it was really sad.

:(
But it would be worse if it was Tifa :sweatdrop

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
03-31-2005, 10:38 PM
*thinks about Tifa's theme playing during her death*
*pictures staff giving a thumbs down to pitched story detail*

Perducci
03-31-2005, 10:41 PM
I find Rufus' death more sad than I find Aerith's death... I'd rather get stabbed than energy beamed in the face, and getting a heap load of rubble falling on top of me...

The thing that I thought was saddest about the death was that the first time I played the game, I spent a load of time training Aerith up, to get Great Gospel, which I only got to use like, two times, scince she only learnt it just before going into the temple of the aincients...

And you talk about Don Corneo's death being like a Looney Toons Cartoon... I guess you wouldn't be talking about that if you saw Daffy duck Slip a masamune through Bugs Bunnie's back, because that would mean that Aerith's death would be comical, like Corneo's.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
03-31-2005, 10:50 PM
No, the masamune wouldn't be funny, even in cartoons.

We are getting into a debate. If you don't want this thread closed, you may start a thread in Eyes on Each Other about the general issue of what's funny and what's not. PM me if you start one. We could also just PM our debate. Up to you, Lavos.

Perducci
03-31-2005, 10:55 PM
Meh, I can't be bothered with a debate...
I'd rather not fight anyway, too troublesome.

TurkSlayer
03-31-2005, 11:49 PM
[QUOTE=Teh Lavos]I can't see how people can be upset that Aerith dies...
I mean, sure she can be useful in battle sometimes, but Sephiroth killing her is no different than Cloud and the group killing countless amounts of Monsters and soldiers. Just think how the families of the Soldiers are going to feel when they find out that some Spikey haired guy killed their Son/Husband/etc with his big sword.

Or when Reno kicks Don Corneo off the statue in Wutai.

Just because it doesn't have fancy music or a fancy FMV, you don't give two craps about other characters dying...QUOTE]

i've tried to explain that to Aeris fans for years! I just thought it would be pointless her, because no one has listed anywhere else! Anyway, thats besides the current point. I found Rufus's death worse for a few reasons.
1. I wasn't expecting it.
2. rufus was cool, one of the coolest in the game in my opinion.
3. At first, i didn't even realize it. You just see the explosion, but nothing really to say that Rufus DIED. It took me a while to figure out (the first time I played) that he was dead!

Vyk
04-01-2005, 05:36 AM
Well they play the player's emotions like an instrument. And it works. You don't feel remorse for the soldiers because they're just normal enemies, for one. They have no character, they're just obsticles. Not to mention they choose to stand in your way, it's their choice. Though I love where you were going with that. I think the game itself woulda been a lot better if everyone's death were taken seriously. Play some heart wrenching music when any of the main characters die so they all have a "holy crap" kinda impact. Though I think you'd probably get desensitized to it by the end of the game. Aeris was a one of a kind scene in the game so it was made more profound just by that fact. The point remains though that all the enemies were merely obstacles. Aeris was someone you controled and got to know. The creators wanted you to get close to her and feel the impact. And for a lot of people that worked. That's all. They coulda done it with any character and gotten the same results pretty much. I'd have been just as mortified if Barret had died. His poor kid...

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
04-01-2005, 06:41 AM
You forgot about that one Soldier grunt that falls instead of running away when Sapphire Weapon attacks Junon. :(

EDIT: Oh, and your marching pals if you decide to battle them in the sub. Alternate music plays, so you feel bad. :(

Perducci
04-01-2005, 06:49 PM
I'd have been just as mortified if Barret had died. His poor kid...

I agree, Barret dying probably would have been worse, especially now that you mention his kid... But then again, I felt pretty bad about that when Dyne jumps off a cliff after telling Barret to take care of her. That was pretty sad... I mean, he didn't even get one last chance to say goodbye to his daughter... :'(

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
04-01-2005, 08:07 PM
I forgot about Dyne. Not as sad as Aeris, but his death was definitely sad. Yeah, after saying I thought the Don's death was comical, you'll think I'll say Dyne's death was comical. No, it wasn't. It's all in the game's presentation that dictates most players' emotional reaction. Elements of the presentation may include dialogue, music (or lack thereof, in Dyne's case), FMV, camera angles, and also whatever other events were meant to build up to a certain climatic event.

For example, Dyne's death for me yielded moderate sadness. Everything starting in North Corel was the primary stuff building up to the death of Dyne. Music doesn't exactly rock, and it's not in a major key, either, while you are in North Corel. Barret gets focused on, and his speeches and flashbacks are mostly serious. We do get a little comic relief or as Barret dances around bullets for as long as you want. I always laugh at that! Then, at the Gold Saucer, the story breaks for you, thus dissipating sadness, but the depressing tone gets picked up again once you access the battle square. Then after the depressing desert prison stuff, you fight Dyne with just Barret. Notice the music during the fight. Squaresoft holds back on being dramatic and serious, but resumes building up to the climax following the battle with the choice of dialogue, lack of music, and sound effects. Mention of Dyne following his death is quite brief, thus transitioning the game to something more fun.

Contrasting to Aeris's death. The story is building up to her death for the entire long first disc, almost. Interestingly, also, most of Aeris's content is either exciting or comical. Getting ready for her death, they begin to focus in on her a lot more. The music gives you a different feeling than when you were in North Corel. You feel uneasy. Finally, she leaves the party. Following the date, the player gets hardly any humor at all, but yet is absorbed into the game. There's just uneasiness all over the place with Cloud's recent developments and the theme "Who am I?" I love that song. The City of Ancients theme also has an uneasiness theme to it. In trying to make the most emotional scene they possibly can, they use FMV, and the music is perfect, as the shock (which exploded from the long uneasiness) becomes sadness. But it's a beautiful kind of sadness that comes from the sweet major key melody, as opposed to say, that sad song from Xenogears, which is still beautiful. Cloud's speeches are perfect. The song draws from first Holy falling and boucing into the water, but the main song is drawn from Cloud's speeches, and that is what the song is about. The scene is drawn out, with the song, as you fight Jenova. More FMV afterwards. Finally, after the scene, Aeris is still felt throughout the game. The characters seem to get over it, but you are reminded of her again when you come back to the Temple of the Ancients with Bugenhagen. The song is revived again at the end of Disc 2. Aeris is in the ending, too, so the player is not likely to forget her.

Rase
04-01-2005, 08:17 PM
Personally, it didn't bother me in the least. Wasn't sad, mad, happy, or anything, was just, "Huh, that's interesting". Maybe I lack human emotions. :)

Perducci
04-01-2005, 08:55 PM
We do get a little comic relief or as Barret dances around bullets for as long as you want.

It's best to watch this scene with circus music in the background.

Edit: I just thought about another sad death in the game, too... Biggs, Wedge and Jesse's deaths are all pretty sad. :cry:

TurkSlayer
04-02-2005, 03:00 AM
So many sad deaths in FF7, when you really think about it. As I've said, I never liked Aeris to much, but the first time I saw the scene, it was a little sad.As for Biggs, Wedge, and Jesse, they where pretty awesome characters, and then, they were just dead. Killed mainly by one of my fav characters, Reno. And then theres Dyne, buts already been explained, no need to say the same think over. And RUfus! A lot of awesome characters died in this game. Someone needs to make a memorial.

Perducci
04-04-2005, 06:39 PM
A lot of awesome characters died in this game. Someone needs to make a memorial.

I was gonna make a website in memorial to Biggs, Wedge and Jesse... but i'm too lazy to do it.

Mercen-X
04-05-2005, 11:54 PM
The best memorial to a dead NPC is a prequel in which they aren't NPCs.

For another matter, Aeris/Aerith
Do you like Aeris = Heiress or Aerith = Earth?

Vyk
04-09-2005, 07:06 AM
Even if her name was originally Aerith, or ended up becoming Aerith (no idea, because I have no idea when or why Aerith even started circulating) I wouldn't pronounce it like Earth. Same as Aeris (Heiress) except with a lisp. Heireth. Aerith.

Cybele
04-09-2005, 07:09 AM
Her name has been discussed too many times and here's how one went...http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57856

Vyk
04-09-2005, 12:24 PM
So if you want people to pronounce it properly it needs to stay "Aeris" so people aren't saying it with that damn lisp.

Destai
04-09-2005, 12:59 PM
I think its spelled Aerith everywhere or should be and Aeris is the proper way to pronounce it in Japan while pronouncing it as Aerith is the proper way to pronounce it for most Europeans and Americans. The japanese pronounce th as an s. Theres plenty of arguments for it like in Terra*Aerises link but I think thats how it should work in general.

DMKA
04-09-2005, 02:46 PM
I was much sadder when General Leo died, because he was trying to save people, plus he was sexy and the sprite was awesomely cute. ;__;

Aeris was none of these.

Mercen-X
04-13-2005, 12:42 AM
Even if her name was originally Aerith, or ended up becoming Aerith (no idea, because I have no idea when or why Aerith even started circulating) I wouldn't pronounce it like Earth. Same as Aeris (Heiress) except with a lisp. Heireth. Aerith.
You know, I only realized her named was "Heiress" a couple of years after I bought FF7. I used to pronounce it "Aeries." A lot of people probably did at first.
I don't really want to drag this out again . . .
but I believe the original spelling of her name, Aerith still fits with an english pronunciation if only slightly (to sound like a Scott saying earth), because she had such a strong connection to the planet.
. . . but I also believe Aeris as in "Heiress" fits, because she is the last heir/heiress to the knowledge of the Cetra.

*sigh* Anyway . . . yeah, "Heiress" sounds better.

Squall of SeeD
04-13-2005, 12:57 AM
[QUOTE=Vyk]I don't really want to drag this out again . . .
but I believe the original spelling of her name, Aerith still fits with an english pronunciation if only slightly (to sound like a Scott saying earth), because she had such a strong connection to the planet.
. . . but I also believe Aeris as in "Heiress" fits, because she is the last heir/heiress to the knowledge of the Cetra.

*sigh* Anyway . . . yeah, "Heiress" sounds better.

The original original spelling was probably "Erith," the Hebrew word for "Flower," which would hvae become "Earisu" when translated into Japanese. "Earisu" is the actual Japanese form of her name, with "Aerith" and "Aeris" being two alternate romanizations.

I find it quite humorous myself, as it would mean "Aerith" would be correct in terms of pronunciation when using English phoenetic values.

th30wn4g3
04-15-2005, 06:13 AM
that sucked. watching too much g4tech blew it for me. i saw it before i played it so i was assed out from the emotional aspect

Vyk
04-15-2005, 06:58 AM
Still. She's not a Hebrew character. She's Japanes. And if (and only if) you want to pronounce it like the Japanese, Aeris would be the best spelling, 'cause then the average joe that doesn't know hebrew, japanese, or latin, is gonna see an S and pronounce it what that sound. No average fellow is gonna see "TH" and pronounce it "S".

Other than that it reeeaaally doesn't matter. By the way, why DID it become an issue? I saw people calling her Aerith even before KH and stuff. Was the PAL versions of FF7 different from American or something? Or was it just Square and Sony bickering over it?

Masamune·1600
04-15-2005, 07:16 AM
Actually, it makes a lot of sense for Aeris' name to have been originally taken from Hebrew. Many names and concepts in FFVII relate to Kabbalah, a branch of Jewish mysticism. The name "Sephiroth" is actually a critical concept to Kabbalah. I won't go into detail here, but the Sephiroth is comprised of ten "spheres", which adds meaning to the emphasis on numbers/numerology in the game. Similarly, 'Tifa Lockhart' relates to a part of the Sephiroth, Tiferet (or Tipereth), which deals with balance and with love. In any case, Hebrew is important to Kabbalah (or Cabbalah, or any of a number of spellings). Hence, Aeris' name originating in Hebrew makes quite a bit of sense, given the game's underlying references and thematic structure.

DaremihC
04-15-2005, 07:23 AM
I can't stop thinking about the Scottish pronunciation of Earth...

Aerith... hehehe...

Vyk
04-15-2005, 07:34 AM
Oh from what I've heard I don't doubt that's where they got their inspiration from. I'm just saying for those that want to pronounce her name as Earisu or whatever, yet think Aerith is the correct romanization, yet still give it an S sound. They're all over the chart. Aeris captures all of that without complexity. It's a valid romanization, and pronounced very much the same as the way the Japanese would say her name. Even if "su" should become "th" we're not supposed to SAY the "th" sound. So...

Castiroth
04-16-2005, 01:19 AM
Aeris/aerith death was sad i have played the game a good few times and it still hurts to see her die but her thanks to her dying i h8ed sephiroth even more and i trained the rest of there butts of and i slayed him so her death came in usful

Razo
04-16-2005, 11:11 PM
Personally, it didn't bother me in the least. Wasn't sad, mad, happy, or anything, was just, "Huh, that's interesting". Maybe I lack human emotions. :)
Since when was that something to be happy about...

Anyway, yeah, Aeris dying was sad for me, (even though i knew it was gonna happen cuz it was spoiled for me...) but it certainly makes you hate Sephiroth that much more.

TurkSlayer
04-17-2005, 02:37 AM
Hate? Sephiroth? Are those two words legal in a sentence? Sephiroth rocks! True he killed Aeris, but I'm a Tifa fan! Now, if he had killed Tifa or Vincent, I would have despised him til the end of time.

Ikwens
04-18-2005, 02:19 PM
Her death was actually funny. I really don't care that she died.

Since when was that something to be happy about...

I was quite happy that she died.

Perducci
04-18-2005, 08:14 PM
I was much sadder when General Leo died, because he was trying to save people, plus he was sexy and the sprite was awesomely cute. ;__;

Aeris was none of these.

DJZen
04-18-2005, 08:35 PM

NOOOOOO!!!!! DON'T EVEN SUGGEST THAT IT'S TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*collapses in the corner and cries loudly for seven days and seven nights*

TurkSlayer
04-18-2005, 11:14 PM
Err, that was actually a quote from Teh Lavos that I just sort of agreed with. Like I said, when everyone thinks about Aeris dieing they get all sad and moody, but they don't consider the countless Shinra soldiers you killed and the families you ruined.

Masamune·1600
04-18-2005, 11:45 PM
Ah, but if there's one thing the Internet denizens of EoFF know, it's that the Shinra get in the way. ;) I say they were asking for it.

megot
04-21-2005, 01:08 PM
well, i think it's pretty sad although i don't like her... she annoyed me so much

Gwelenguchenkus
04-21-2005, 08:51 PM
There was nothing sad about slaughtering shinra soldiers. Since when do you weep for slaughtering an endless supply of pawns? It's not like their flashing red death was really that tragic. Don't be such a hypocrite, I don't think you weep every time you press the attack button. "Oh dear god! I killed two shinra soldiers. Time to pull out my tissue-box!" Who cares?

You can't weep for everyone that dies, but the ones that you know and are close to, their death's are more sad. The reason their death's are sad is because YOU lost them.

Scarlet was a *****, and she did some evil things. She tried to kill some of your party members, and she was mean as hell. I wouldn't have shed a tear after slaughtering that evil wench.

Don Corneo kidnaps women to 'play' with, threatens to kill them when you catch him then sets his enemies to attack and kill you, all the while laughing like a perverted freak. His death was not sad at all.

So how about all those enemies you slaughtered, all those evil meniacle bastards you killed? Their death's were never intended to be sad, except for Dyne of course, but he killed himself.

Aeris' death was sad. Not only was there a neat little FMV, but she was a great character. Whoever said she sucked in battle was wrong. She only sucked if the only thing you ever did in battle was hold down the X button, attacking endlessly. "OMG AERIS SUCKS HER STR IS < CLOUD & TIFA LOL". Granted, in this painfully easy game that may be all you need. But Aeris has a huge pool of MP, and with all the magic I had on her she had over 100+ in the magic department where all ther other party members were still in the 40-50s. Aeris was a magical goddess, and she had the best spirit by far, as well.

Her limit breaks are almost all godly. You have one that gives all your other members their limit breaks instantly which called for instant PWNAGE. Then you have her level 3 limits, which give you invincibility and full recovery respectably. Then you have then the great Gosphel does both at the same time. Having trouble with a boss? great gosphel is almost too cheap, and the invincibility lasts for quite a long time.

anyway, that's al my opinion. I lvoed aeris AND tifa, they are both great characters in plot and battle.

TurkSlayer
04-22-2005, 03:25 AM
There was nothing sad about slaughtering shinra soldiers. Since when do you weep for slaughtering an endless supply of pawns? It's not like their flashing red death was really that tragic. Don't be such a hypocrite, I don't think you weep every time you press the attack button. "Oh dear god! I killed two shinra soldiers. Time to pull out my tissue-box!" Who cares?

You can't weep for everyone that dies, but the ones that you know and are close to, their death's are more sad. The reason their death's are sad is because YOU lost them.

Scarlet was a *****, and she did some evil things. She tried to kill some of your party members, and she was mean as hell. I wouldn't have shed a tear after slaughtering that evil wench.

Don Corneo kidnaps women to 'play' with, threatens to kill them when you catch him then sets his enemies to attack and kill you, all the while laughing like a perverted freak. His death was not sad at all.

So how about all those enemies you slaughtered, all those evil meniacle bastards you killed? Their death's were never intended to be sad, except for Dyne of course, but he killed himself.

Aeris' death was sad.

No, your right, I don't weep for every soldier I kill. I also don't weep for Aeris. I really didn't like Aeris (this is just my opinion), so I didn't find it sad. I did not weep for Scarlet, of course, or Heidegger. I felt sad for Dyne. I almost did weep for Rufus, aswell as Biggs, Wedge, and Jesse. But what I'm saying is it is ultimately the same. True, there is nowhere near the same sadness, but in the end you might aswell be as much of a murderer as Sephiroth. That, and I am a hypocrite. :D

babalon
04-22-2005, 10:27 AM
hi all! very, very new here! just wanted to say hi and wonder out loud if I was the only one who finds areis incredibly annoying? or is it just me?....hmmmmm :-)

TurkSlayer
04-22-2005, 01:21 PM
Your not alone. I find her annoying too. BTW, welcome to EoFF.

TheAbominatrix
04-22-2005, 10:03 PM
Yep, she annoys me very much.

meowwl
04-23-2005, 07:54 AM
Ditto..annoyed the dogsnot out of me. It's the cheerleader in pink thing

JAS4Yeshua
04-23-2005, 09:35 AM
I dunno, but I kind of liked Aeris, as a playable character, and as a character in the overall story. I also liked Tifa as a playable character, and as a character in the overall story.

When dealing with death in stories and games (especially where the games help tell the story), there are certain times where the emotional response is necessary. Killing the grunts has no response, because, as was mentioned by someone else, they are simply obstacles. Killing the bosses gives an emotional response though. Usually it is one of excitement, realizing you've defeated a threat.

Aeris's death came as a complete shock to me, as I had no previous knowledge that it was coming. She was a favorite of mine to have in the party, simply because her healing powers were extremely helpful. Of course, I also loved Tifa's skills, so usually had her in the party as well.

For the story, Aeris's death was well done. It served the greater purpose of the story, even though I was always wondering if she was going to return somehow, someway, later in the game. I just couldn't believe they killed her.

So, count me as one who was shocked, surprised, and saddened by Aeris's death. Also count me as one who likes both Aeris and Tifa. :D

JaytodaP
05-05-2005, 07:56 PM
I thought it was a good thing. One less Person to get limit breaks for, level up and buy things for.

sephiroth JR
05-05-2005, 08:04 PM
hey welcome to eoff,and yeah it was pretty sad when aeris died. i was more upset because i had been using her as my main character...she was more powerfull than cloud.

Holy_Aeris
05-05-2005, 08:32 PM
i was so not expectig her to die!!! i was upset!
But appy again cause i saw her at the end!

mike without a hat
05-05-2005, 08:51 PM
Err, that was actually a quote from Teh Lavos that I just sort of agreed with. Like I said, when everyone thinks about Aeris dieing they get all sad and moody, but they don't consider the countless Shinra soldiers you killed and the families you ruined.

"one death is a tragedy, one million deaths is a statistic"
You shouldn't care about really any random soldiers you kill if you cared about Aeris's death. Its not like a family of some random soldier is going to give a hoot i about Aeris's or any other soldiers death.

KoShiatar
05-05-2005, 09:12 PM
I don't know why, but I'm afraid I'll barely be able to stand Aeris when I play this game...

cal113
05-06-2005, 10:07 PM
aw u really will - wen i first played this game all those years back in 97 aeris came across as so weak and in need of protection - like her physical strength sucked, cloud was her bodyguard etc etc - when she is actually killed it is such a shock - i can honestly say i was deep in the feelin of that game i shed a tear !

Masamune·1600
05-07-2005, 01:08 AM
I don't know why, but I'm afraid I'll barely be able to stand Aeris when I play this game...

Aeris, for whatever reason, is a very polarizing character. Almost everyone seems to either like her or hate her; those that stick to the middle ground are certainly in the minority. However, even if one views her personality as annoying (I didn't; I felt Yuffie was far more irritating. Again, however, that is solely a matter of opinion.), her tragic story is among the more powerful dynamics in the history of the series. My advice is not to let your perception of her character be overly influenced by her fans or her detractors; simply immerse yourself in the game, and make your own decision regarding Aeris.

Vyk
05-07-2005, 02:27 AM
That would be a good idea regarding pretty much anything in life (:

Ageless_Bum
05-09-2005, 06:07 AM
New here but felt like contributing
(I apologise if you feel like anyones previously made points are needlessly restated)

I havent played VII in a long time but i can tell you I was actually amazed by Aeris' death. I dont mean that to sound uncaring, but I can not think of a more precise word to describe it.
It was a first to me. Not the first time to permenantly loose a character, but the first time i had actually felt affected by a action in a game. Was it that I was enthralled by the character of Aeris? No, she was a worth while character, but not any more or less than the others. It was the first game that had, without my knowing I must sadly admit, engrossed my attention and emotions. I can see it for the masterful story telling it is now. Now that I look back at it. But ... at the time it was ... well ... sad.
Consequently I must give the game makers their dues on this sequence of events. They did it all very well. Yes the music does make it more poignant (think i misspelled that). Music inherintly has that effect on all things. Watch any movie ... thats why they have sound tracks applied to them. And, despite you like or dislike of a character, you have an attachment to them. When it is taken from you in such a way as you do not feel it was right to let it go, it increases the emotion response. Which brings me to the next point
I enjoyed the line that was made about the fires of hatred for a villain never burning so brightly (Its almost poetic) It makes you hate and want to kill her murderer. Even though Sephiroth is undeniably one of the most liked (i hate to term him villain it sounds dimeaning) antihero, After he does this you want to see him pay. You want to see him suffer before you crush the last breath out of him. *looks around* Ohh sorry, zoned out there. Or so the more emotional people do. The death of other characters (IE) Dyne are important and emotionally captavating, but with Dyne do you care more that he killed himself or that his daughter's dad is now truelly dead? As for the deaths of most of the villains, this is once again a masterful story telling. Their characters have been constructed in such a way that by the time most of them die, you are ready and almost happy to see them get what the deserved (IE) the Don. Wrong as it may seem morally, you carry no emotion conection to the mass of unnamed soldiers you mow through simply because; you know that if you go back to that spot they will atack you again, or atleast clone characters of them. This cheapens the ideas of their "deaths" nearly to a comical level.

Phew got that out of my system thanks for listening

Armisael
05-09-2005, 07:08 AM
I had it spoiled for me before I even played the game, so it wasn't all that sad to me.

Ashen-Shugar
05-09-2005, 10:32 AM
I didn't like it when Rufus died. I liked him. Is that wrong?

Armisael
05-09-2005, 10:57 AM
Actually he didn't!

Gwelenguchenkus
05-10-2005, 01:42 AM
When aeris died, it definitely effected the way I felt, simply because I felt that Aeris was a crucial character in the first part of the game. Every time you lose a main character, there is a sense of loss. Aeris is no longer in your team, you won't be using her again. It's like when cloud leaves your party you feel awkward because you lost THE main character, except Aeris isn't really the main, but you lose her permanently.

The only other game to give a 'feeling of loss' was in Dragon Warrior 7 when Keifer leaves your team for good, and you never see him again, only traces of his influence, like Aira, who is his distant ancestor. Most who have played this game will remember thinking 'wow, this can't happen... Keifer was my favorite!' 99% of the time. The game doesn't feel the same past that point.

When in FF5 Galuf died, that didn't give me a sense of loss, since someone was right there to replace him with all of his abilities.

TurkSlayer
05-10-2005, 02:20 AM

I have to say I was stunned when Rufus "died" *wink wink*. I admit I was fairly sad when Aeris died, but I think it was because of the music, and that the way the did the scene was incredible. It was disturbing that she was still smiling, though. But when Rufus "died" I went "WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Of course It turns out he is still alive in Advent Children. :)

Seal Evil
05-13-2005, 02:11 PM
after compleating FF7 a while ago i desided to have another shot at it and have just got through disc one and didnt realise how sad it was, Aeris was my favourate character and it was sad for me to see her die :-[
Aeris is my favourite character too.

I couldn't believe she died. It actually made a tear come down my face, the first time I got up to that bit. :-[ It made my stomach go all weird, aswell.

Tut. It's always the nice people who die.

I have to say I was stunned when Rufus "died" *wink wink*.
OMG, yeah. I was totally not expecting that. I was stunned, too.