PDA

View Full Version : No D Drive

Leeza
03-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Can someone tell me how my D Drive can just disappear? I did have some viruses and I thought that they might be the problem, but I got rid of them and I still have no D Drive. Anyone have any ideas as to what could have happened?

Yamaneko
03-21-2005, 07:13 PM
What motherboard do you have?

Leeza
03-21-2005, 07:28 PM
Argggh! What the heck is a motherboard?

I have a Dell Pentium 4 and anything else I really don't remember and I'm at work right now so I'll have to wait till I get home to check.

crono_logical
03-21-2005, 07:48 PM
Check if Windows still sees the drive first in Computer Management (assuming you're using XP) - right click My Computer > Manage > Device Manager and see if it's listed under DVD/CD-ROM drives, and without problems (the yellow ! or red X).

If that's fine, look in Disk Management on the left, and give it a drive letter in the list on the bottom right - if it's already got one, remove it and reassign, and see if that fixes it.

Leeza
03-22-2005, 12:02 AM
Thank you, cl_out. I have a D Drive again. :)

Yamaneko
03-22-2005, 12:04 AM
Haha, I was making it more complicated than it actually was.

Leeza
03-22-2005, 12:24 AM
Haha. Yes you were. :)

I'd still like to know why it disappeared in the first place though.

crono_logical
03-22-2005, 12:36 AM
Only thing I can think of is you uninstalled Easy CD Creator, but I don't know if you had that :p What exactly did you fix anyway, was it just adding the letter, or did you remove then add it? :p

Leeza
03-22-2005, 01:12 AM
I don't even have Easy CD Creator installed so I couldn't uninstall it. I'm guessing that the virus I had must have done it.

To fix it, I did just what you said. My Computer > Manage > Device Manger > DVD/CD-ROM drives and then I <i>Enabled</i> the drive because it was disabled for some reason. It had a red x on it. That's it.

eestlinc
03-22-2005, 05:46 AM
The IDE driver or whatever died on my old comp so it doesn't even recognize that I have any hard drives despite having two. I need to take those drives out and transfer the data to this one some time...