PDA

View Full Version : No wussy girls in this game!

Cybele
03-22-2005, 05:41 AM
Did everyone like the fact that the girls in FFX-2 weren't wusses? I liked that a lot. I hate it when people stereo-type the girls into having to be mages. I liked the fact that the girls in this game were strong and were the main characters. Whenever I get sick of playing as a guy, I pull out FFX-2. I know this game wasn't a favorite among many, but I hope to see more mostly female casts instead of the typical 3 girls only (who are mostly mages) and unlimited guys. What do you think?

UltimateSpamGrover
03-22-2005, 06:03 AM
As long as the game is good , I don't really care if the cast is male or female, but X-2 was still a disaster.

Terra , FFVI, the good ol' days...

Cybele
03-22-2005, 06:06 AM
As long as the game is good , I don't really care if the cast is male or female, but X-2 was still a disaster.

Terra , FFVI, the good ol' days...

Yeah, FFVI was awesome...and the fact that Terra was there more than made up for the lack of girls. :)

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-22-2005, 06:39 AM
I admit I like seeing women taking on stronger roles, and I didn't mind this game so much, really, although the... teenage-girl-ness bothered me more than a bit, which is understandable I guess. And sphere break. Damn that Shinra.

Yuffie514
03-22-2005, 06:56 AM
agreed :D , an all-female cast is a great idea :cool: .

**ShadowZone**
03-22-2005, 08:43 AM
You go girls!!!!!! :catsmile:

Xander
03-22-2005, 11:24 AM
I wasn't really bothered whether I was using male or female characters as long as it was a good game. But yeah I think they were a good team, and they balanced each other out, Rikku providing the hyperness, Yuna providing the responsibility and Paine providing the kinda calm serious cooler side. If they were wusses, male or female they wouldn't have got very far anyway xD

Gwelenguchenkus
03-22-2005, 11:40 AM
The game is fun, and that is that. I found it a little bit on the EXTREMELY FRICKEN CHEESY side though. I felt like I was in a bad episode of charlies angels at times. You have to admit that it is a very strange change of pace, ESPECIALLY as far as RPGs go.

In any case, I thought the three girls were pretty bad-ass, even if they were a little cheesy. Worked pretty well, actually... just lacked a strong plot msot of the time.

Destai
03-22-2005, 04:03 PM
Girl power is GHEY. This game proved that.
I found it a little bit on the EXTREMELY FRICKEN CHEESY side though. I felt like I was in a bad episode of charlies angels at times.I wouldnt have been so annoyed by it if it wasnt taking a serious detailed game like X down so many notches in quality.

JseanjohnC
03-22-2005, 04:31 PM
well I picked the last choice because it was sort of nice to have a female character for a change but not an ALL female cast...they needed just a lil bit more masculine characters(as Brother, Buddy, Tobli, Baralai) are not "tough" characters that we are used to seeing...which was a downfall. But I dont usually look at race/sex in people so it didn't really matter to me that much...I would have played it regardless just because it's Final Fantasy.

Ultima Shadow
03-22-2005, 07:52 PM
Did everyone like the fact that the girls in FFX-2 weren't wusses? I liked that a lot. I hate it when people stereo-type the girls into having to be mages. I liked the fact that the girls in this game were strong and were the main characters. Whenever I get sick of playing as a guy, I pull out FFX-2. I know this game wasn't a favorite among many, but I hope to see more mostly female casts instead of the typical 3 girls only (who are mostly mages) and unlimited guys. What do you think?
If this game is showing "girl power"... then I feel sorry for the girls.

Seriously... Faris and Terra where much better at playing the role as strong girls. The girls in FFX-2 are just acting like... well... completely screwed beavers. On the other hand... that dude called "Brother" makes the boys in the game look even whorse. Man, he completely ruins the story of the game and replaces it with pure insanity. I don't mind pure insanity but it just doesn't suit an RPG. There's way too many mentally sick characters in this game.

Destai
03-22-2005, 08:15 PM
That game put me totally off female lead games. Seriously. And how did it support independant woman? They just stuck sexy girls on a game cover and dressed them up like scantily dressed whores. Arent feminists on about how theyre bodies are treated? And I wouldnt have cared about the female lead except everything in the game was painted bubble gum pink. Even the battle system revolved around picking out costumes :rolleyes2 If this game was "supposed" to teach me anything its that woman cant be taken seriously.

Cybele
03-22-2005, 08:25 PM
Okay...I more meant that it was nice to see a cast of girls who weren't mages and weren't simply love interests. This game is far from perfect, but it was characters like Paine who really showed that girls can be strong...although her clothes were too skimpy. I didn't want to put the slutty outfits in because the last time I mentioned that, people weren't too happy with me. They just said that they liked the fact that they were protraying that Spira is a warm and tropical world, but that still doesn't make the outfits on Mt. Gagazet make sense. I just meant that in every recent game...there's no female leads that aren't mages...I didn't know Faris, but Terra is an excellent example of strength. But in all of the more recent games, they've demeaned the strong girls by giving them slutty outfits. Tifa is a perfect example of this (she was strong, yes, but look at her outfit and that huge chest certaintly doesn't help), so now I try not to point it out simply because it's the way that things are now, and I can't do a thing about it. Of course, there are still girls like Quistis who are strong and whose clothes weren't slutty, but her character had little developement and people often over look her or call her ugly (which is far from the truth, we all know that they'd never make a truly ugly girl).

Destai
03-22-2005, 08:44 PM
Sorry if I insulted you, But I honestly find the X-2 girls to be just as big a stereotype as the girls from the former games. Im usually very open to female characters. Quistis is in fact one of my favourite FF characters ever. have you ever seen Maria from Star Ocean 3? Shes one of my favourite video game characters. Shes a young girl who is very, very intelligent and assertive. Shes not emotional at all and shes the commander of a group of federation rebels. Shes very assertive and takes control of any situation for the good of her crew. I think shes a great example of breaking away from stereotypes in female leads.

Cybele
03-22-2005, 09:05 PM
Sorry if I insulted you, But I honestly find the X-2 girls to be just as big a stereotype as the girls from the former games. Im usually very open to female characters. Quistis is in fact one of my favourite FF characters ever. have you ever seen Maria from Star Ocean 3? Shes one of my favourite video game characters. Shes a young girl who is very, very intelligent and assertive. Shes not emotional at all and shes the commander of a group of federation rebels. Shes very assertive and takes control of any situation for the good of her crew. I think shes a great example of breaking away from stereotypes in female leads.

Oh no, I wasn't insulted. I'm sorry if I insulted you though. Yes, I have seen Maria. She's amazing. I wasn't expecting her to arrive when she did, but she was awesome. I loved her character and I also loved Nel as well. Both of them are perfect examples of a strong female role, but Star Ocean was also never known to have wussy girls anyway. Star Ocean 2 had Precis, Opera, and Chisato who were all strong girls. Even Rena, who was meant to be a mage, made a pretty good fighter if you wanted her to be. Final Fantasy however is now known to have girls who are mages or are skimpy dressed. I don't mind it much anymore, but it was still nice to see a game where the girls weren't mages. I do agree that this game would be better without the teenage girl feel to it, but the idea behind an all female cast was nice to see for once. Sorry if I've offended you though...

Destai
03-22-2005, 09:11 PM
Not offended at all, thanks for being cool :)

Wiegrahf42
03-23-2005, 03:15 AM
Meh. Its fine to have a female cast as long as they aren't so darn DITZY. The game is alright if you mute the sound so you don't have to listen to their shrill voices and the hideous dialouge.

UltimateSpamGrover
03-23-2005, 05:44 AM
What were those S-E perverts thinking? :rolleyes:

Ultima Shadow
03-23-2005, 07:54 PM
What were those S-E perverts thinking? :rolleyes:
The developers where probably all drunk and watching Charlies Angels while they wrote the story.

Del Murder
04-03-2005, 11:17 PM
I'd rather have an all girl cast than an all boy cast.

lulusgirl
04-03-2005, 11:20 PM
I'd rather have an all girl cast than an all boy cast.

Imperia
04-04-2005, 12:59 AM
It was ABOUT TIME the girls were the ones doing the saving for once! I hated how Yuna was portrayed in the first game. She's my favorite in these two games.

CaladBolgLionHeart
04-04-2005, 01:05 AM
I wasnt focused on the cast. I just said, "OOH, A SEQUEL TO FFX!!!!" and played it with the intention of beating it and figuring out the crazy-ass story.

DarknessFromAbove
04-04-2005, 03:52 AM
Yeah, I'm usualy all about girl power and all that but I found the characters of X-2 to be a little insulting. Squeeky, ditzy, slutty :mad: insanity . . . I really don't mind playing as a guy in games, and I would like to see stronger female roles in FF but I don't think that X-2 is a very good example. The whole game was just kinda' silly to me. But when you turn the volume down and put the girs in more modest dress spheres it's not so bad . . . And Brother was just awful :rolleyes2

eestlinc
04-04-2005, 03:53 AM
go play FFV for girl power. I think having powerful female heroines who don't rely on some strong male character to save them is good.

Cuchulainn
04-04-2005, 04:51 AM
Girl Power? Are you serious? LOL Girl Power should be confined to the minds of the Spice Girl & their 14 year old fans, how Cheesy are those words anyway?
If you think Female Characters in FF have been solely limited to Mages & Summoners then FFX was your FIRST FF. I suggest playing the others & then commenting. The whole initial theme of X2 made me cringe & so it should any rightminded female, if that motivated you as a female in any way I'd put youy controller down & go get Sporty Spice to sign your Power Pumps.
It was good that they had a lead female role & I support that 100%, the way they did it & the cheesy moments surrounding it made sure there won't be a leading female role in FF for a long time again. It set back progress in that department, not forwarded it.
And the music, with the exception of the Title Score, which was absolutely increadable, it was on some Pam Greer Blacksploitation type 70s Charlies Angels Vibe that was cringeladen & pathetic.

Le Fin
Just my twopence worth :)

cloud20747
04-04-2005, 04:59 AM
I wasnt focused on the cast. I just said, "OOH, A SEQUEL TO FFX!!!!" and played it with the intention of beating it and figuring out the crazy-ass story.
so did I, so did I..........

Cybele
04-04-2005, 05:02 AM
Girl Power? Are you serious? LOL Girl Power should be confined to the minds of the Spice Girl & their 14 year old fans, how Cheesy are those words anyway?
If you think Female Characters in FF have been solely limited to Mages & Summoners then FFX was your FIRST FF. I suggest playing the others & then commenting. The whole initial theme of X2 made me cringe & so it should any rightminded female, if that motivated you as a female in any way I'd put youy controller down & go get Sporty Spice to sign your Power Pumps.
It was good that they had a lead female role & I support that 100%, the way they did it & the cheesy moments surrounding it made sure there won't be a leading female role in FF for a long time again. It set back progress in that department, not forwarded it.
And the music, with the exception of the Title Score, which was absolutely increadable, it was on some Pam Greer Blacksploitation type 70s Charlies Angels Vibe that was cringeladen & pathetic.

Le Fin
Just my twopence worth :)

For your information, FFIV was my first FF back when it was only for the SNES. I didn't even like FFX very much. I've played FFIV, FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, FFX, and FFX-2. I don't feel like repeating myself though. And why is it that when girls are strong it's called "girl power", but when guys are strong it's just normal? Never mind, don't answer that. And I didn't mean the way that they did it, I meant the idea of having the first all female cast in an FF. Not the fact that they were dressed like sluts and acted ditsy, but the idea behind it was nice. After seeing characters like Rinoa who were entirely helpless, it was just nice to see girls who could take care of themselves.

My name is...something..?
04-04-2005, 05:21 AM
Ditto! Although when I actually started playing it, I liked the change from "brooding" male characters to strong female leads. You just don't see it often anymore...

fahadalhasan
04-09-2005, 11:56 AM
I think it is about time! It shows how girls are tough and somewhat good as boys! Not like Yuna and LuLu in FF X there attacks were weak! In FF X-2 The girls rock!

Shattered Oasis
04-14-2005, 12:43 AM
I didn't really like the story of the game. But it is nice to see a game with an all-female cast. They did act a little ditzy sometimes, but they're just having fun. It's the Eternal Calm, Sin is gone, they deserve a little relaxation. I don't really mind the clothes they wear. For Rikku and Yuna, their heritage is Al Bhed, and a lot of the Al Bhed women wear somewhat revealing clothing. You can't blame them, they live in the desert! I liked the idea of a female cast very much, and I hope Square will make more games like that. Just with a better story of course. I found the whole dressphere thing a little odd...

Midnight Garnet
04-14-2005, 04:24 PM
i agree...the story was good. and it was great to see some kick ass females!!! its nice to see girls who can take care of themselves!!!

zpforter
04-14-2005, 04:47 PM
it was definitly nice to break away from the normal male dominated roles from the previous FF games, it was like a nice spring breeze after a long winter. the only problem that i had with the game was the seemingly lack of a story. or the vague approach to the story. either way the story line wasnt that appealing to me. i thought the battle system was cool, hadnt really experienced anything like that before. the graphics were cool, and at times i didn't really mind the whole teenage girl thing going on....like someone stated earlier....it's the eternal calm, they're allowed to act foolishly. i am currently playing the game plus right now....and i still find it to be a very decent game. male dominating characters or not. :cool:

MateriaThief
04-17-2005, 07:24 AM
i love the fact that they seem more independent and not dependant on the guys but in a way the game for me was a disappointment =[. they got too girlie especially with the gigglings and stuff.

*~Nirvana~*
04-17-2005, 12:08 PM
it was a refreshing change from the usual male dominated cast. i have to say the storyline and everything else was not too good but having a kick-ass female group makes up for some of it

TurkSlayer
04-17-2005, 03:16 PM
I have mixed feelings here. I like the idea of an all female cast, however in my opinion that didn't seem that much stronger (except for Paine.) They were still ditzy and and a little slutty. (except Paine, who was just slutty) I believe other characters from previous FFs were tougher (Faris, Terra, Celes, Tifa, Quistis, ect) That and I wish there had been more characters. As I said, I like the all girls cast, but having to play the same three characters through the whole game got annoying. And I would have liked perhaps like one guy, not to have women as a love interest, but I don't much care for to many preppy girls (Thankfully Paine wasn't to preppy) I thought someone like Buddy should have been playable.