PDA

View Full Version : GamePro -> Top 10 Game Series

Sepho
03-22-2005, 05:10 PM
I picked up the April issue of GamePro magazine the other day, and I just sat down and flipped through it for the first time. Like most magazines have displayed (often several times), GamePro is doing another "best of all time" feature, this time covering what the staff believes to be the top ten best series in the history of video gaming, and spanning 10 articles across 10 months.

The staff's 10th pick was the Bomberman series. Discuss what you think are the likely series to show up on the list sometime in the next nine issues.

The Mario, Zelda, and Final Fantasy series, I feel, will almost surely be featured (the first two without a doubt, the third with very little doubt). Besides that, after a quick brainstorm, the following series came to mind when thinking of possible contenders:

- Resident Evil
- Madden
- Dragon Warrior
- Phantasy Star
- Metal Gear Solid
- Gran Turismo
- DOOM
- Grand Theft Auto
- Street Fighter
- Megaman

Before this post, I had come up with other, probably more obvious titles, but I've forgotten :confused: . Now, keep in mind that these are not necessarily titles I personally want to see featured (the list would look a little different if that was the case), but series I feel could be typical of a Top Series list.

Which franchises do you think will be featured in the series of articles? Which game series, regardless of how internationally popular and commercially successful they are, do you think deserve a spot on this list? Oh, and I should mention that series that have not spawned more than sequel are exempt from consideration, which means that a few popular franchises like Halo and Half-Life are automatically disqualified and own't be making the list.

Discuss.

Erdrick Holmes
03-22-2005, 05:30 PM
Why is Street Fighter below Grand Theft Crap?

Oh, They put Phantasy Star above most of them, excellent.

Sepho
03-22-2005, 05:40 PM
Try reading the thread.

Erdrick Holmes
03-22-2005, 05:49 PM
Oh, sorry

Street Fighter
Halo
Guilty Gear
King of Fighters
Doom
Final Fantasy <---- It's bound to happen
Sonic
The Upcoming Phantasy Star Universe
Xenogears

And a few others I can't think of at the moment.

edczxcvbnm
03-22-2005, 05:50 PM
Mario
Zelda
Final Fantasy
GTA
Resident Evil
Halo
Virtua Fighter
Street Fighter
Mega Man

I did not pick what I want. I picked what they are most likely to pick. If they pick Madden I will go there and murder them with exploding acid bullets...and other wierd evil stuff.

Yuffie514
03-22-2005, 05:51 PM
The Mario, Zelda, and Final Fantasy series, I feel, will almost surely be featured (the first two without a doubt, the third with very little doubt). Besides that, after a quick brainstorm, the following series came to mind when thinking of possible contenders:

- Resident Evil
- Madden
- Dragon Warrior
- Phantasy Star
- Metal Gear Solid
- Gran Turismo
- DOOM
- Grand Theft Auto
- Street Fighter
- Megaman

those guys don't know what they're talking about :strung: . well, who cares :jap: ? one article doesn't speak for me... :goofy: :blahblah:

edczxcvbnm
03-22-2005, 05:54 PM
I have a feeling I am the only one to accuratly read the thread. I know I was suppose to make my own list but I like to try to predict what they will do.

Sepho
03-22-2005, 06:01 PM
I have a feeling I am the only one to accuratly read the thread. I know I was suppose to make my own list but I like to try to predict what they will do.

You can discuss either one. I listed which series I thought were the "usual suspects", and not necessarily those that I would personally pick. Perhaps later, when I have some time, I'll make a list of those which I feel actually deserve the candidacy.

Joel: :p

edczxcvbnm
03-22-2005, 06:04 PM
Awesome :)

Strider
03-22-2005, 06:07 PM
How in the world did Bomberman make the top 10?

Dingo Jellybean
03-22-2005, 06:39 PM

LMAO It's like that list of 100 Songs of the past 25 years I listed from VH1. People thought those were the greatest songs of all time and such.

As for the greatest series, I would have given it to FF if they decided to stop at 8. But I'll probably give Gran Turismo/GTA/Metroid a fight for a top 3. I think FF going on for so long hurts its chances, so it should end up at the bottom 5. Castlevania should end up in the middle of the pack somewhere. As for Phantasy Star, it hasn't been putting out the number of games like the other series, nor has it had that many hits like the other series, which is why I don't think it'll make it on the list.

But Bomberman really surprised me. I knew it was a fun series, but I didn't think it had enough hits to be called the 10th greatest.

nik0tine
03-22-2005, 07:21 PM
Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, and Final Fantasy all deserve to be in there. Especially FF and MG/S, seeing as how they really are the greatest series of all time.

Psychotic
03-22-2005, 08:04 PM
Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, and Final Fantasy all deserve to be in there. Especially FF and MG/S, seeing as how they really are the greatest series of all time.Well said. But I'd also like to toss the brilliant GTA series in there, whether or not it upsets the jealous Joel: It was a truly innovative game when it first started, and it has helped define the PS2.

Dreddz
03-22-2005, 08:40 PM
Street Fighter
Final Fantasy
Zelda
Resident Evil
King Of Fighters
Tekken
Metal Gear Solid
Mario
Gran Turismo ( my fav )
and ( although I dont agree with it ) Grand Theft Auto

Xander
03-22-2005, 08:44 PM
Monkey Island <3

Cless
03-26-2005, 01:12 PM
Series I think that will definitely feature somewhere in the Top 10:

-Metal Gear Solid
-Final Fantasy
-Grand Theft Auto
-Mario
-Zelda

I would be shocked if even one of these was left out. The other places, I feel, are hard to predict with much confidence.

I think they will give the No.1 spot to either GTA or Mario.

Dreddz
03-26-2005, 01:51 PM
Hope Guilty Gear gets in there

Sepho
03-26-2005, 05:52 PM
I just scanned through a friend's May copy of GamePro (he subscribes, whereas I still insist on buying the newstand copies for some reason), and the Castlevania and Street Fighter series have been awarded the number 9 and 8 spots, respectively.

I had predicted both, although Castlevania was one of the ones I was forgetting to write in my first post. I predict Zelda, Mario, and Final Fantasy will all be in the top 5 (the first two most definitely, the last perhaps). I'm curious to see what takes the number 7 spot.

I predict a series like Metal Gear Solid or Resident Evil would take the number 7 and 6 spots.

Dreddz
03-26-2005, 06:03 PM
Gran Turismo better be in there

Sepho
03-26-2005, 06:11 PM
I suspect that it may be, though if it is, it will show up in the next couple of issues. I don't see it being a Top 5 series.

Storm
03-26-2005, 06:31 PM
If Mega Man is not in that list, then the people making the list clearly have no idea what makes a good game.

Dreddz
03-26-2005, 07:38 PM
mega mans good but I dought it bein in there. Suspect sumin like Zelda or Mario to be number 1