PDA

View Full Version : sick of it!!

crashNUMBERS
03-22-2005, 11:08 PM
Im sick of people saying that smash bros. is a fighting game. It just a damn party game. DBZ also isn't one. Well yeah it is but an ameture one. The gameplay sucks. Smash bros. is like ,what, 10% fighting? I mean you get to jump on platforms and throw crates. What fighting game is that? Theres my point...

Super Christ
03-22-2005, 11:32 PM
A fun fighting game, that's what.

And one of the few fighters where button mashing simply doesn't work.

Craig
03-22-2005, 11:32 PM
Smash bros IS a fighting game. You know due to all the fighting.

Meat Puppet
03-22-2005, 11:33 PM
Yeah, if you're fighting each other, it sounds more like a fighter.

Mortal Kombat is also a fighter.

Rase
03-23-2005, 12:17 AM
Super Smash Bros. Melee (http://www.nintendo.com/gamemini?gameid=m-Game-0000-587&)

Super Smash Bros. (http://www.nintendo.com/gamemini?gameid=m-Game-0000-2)

Yep, it's a fighting game. But guess, what, it's a fighting game that, gasp, tries to be different!!!!
OMGWTH!!!11!!

crashNUMBERS
03-23-2005, 12:22 AM
Are you making fun of me??

Rase
03-23-2005, 12:26 AM
No, I just like typing like that from time to time. :) It's a good stress reliver. If I had wanted to make fun of you (whihc I don't, as there's no reason to), I would try to do it a different way. It's just the way I am. Sorry you took it that way old chap. :)

Erdrick Holmes
03-23-2005, 12:31 AM
Smash Brothers is a newb fighter.

Rase
03-23-2005, 12:35 AM
But still fun (to me at least) and since I'm not a hardcore fighting fan, that's all I need.

crashNUMBERS
03-23-2005, 12:38 AM
Yeah it is fun but IMO not a fighting game...

Rase
03-23-2005, 12:47 AM
Okay, so you call it a party game, correct? What makes a game a party game?

dufflebag
03-23-2005, 01:01 AM
it's not a fighting game like king of fighters is a fighting game it's different.

Spammerman
03-23-2005, 01:11 AM
to me, its supposed to be a fightin game that doesnt take lots of skills to do special moves that go up,down,diagnol,right,kick,punch,heavypunch,up,down side side

cloud20747
03-23-2005, 01:27 AM
It's one of the most entertaining fighting game I've played

crashNUMBERS
03-23-2005, 01:40 AM
Okay, so you call it a party game, correct? What makes a game a party game?
It's like a game where you have loads of fun and can play with atleast 4 players. Crash Bash and mario party for example...

Meat Puppet
03-23-2005, 03:32 AM
I thought that party games offered a variety of different mini games which you could play multiplayer, thus party.

Oh, I am so confused. My entire world is being raped upside down. :(

square_is_the_best
03-23-2005, 03:33 AM
Im sick of people saying that smash bros. is a fighting game. It just a damn party game. DBZ also isn't one. Well yeah it is but an ameture one. The gameplay sucks. Smash bros. is like ,what, 10% fighting? I mean you get to jump on platforms and throw crates. What fighting game is that? Theres my point...

The way you describe it, it sounds like a wrestling game and we all know that SSB is definitely NOT a wrestling game.

It's like a game where you have loads of fun and can play with atleast 4 players. Crash Bash and mario party for example...

By this definition, Halo would be a party game.

Rase
03-23-2005, 04:09 AM

So, basically, any game with at least 4 players who "have loads of fun" is a party game? The way I see it, Party isn't a genre. Mario Kart is a racing game, but you can have up to 4 people play and have fun. Same type of thing with most FPS games and many others. Nintendos (http://www.nintendo.com/gamemini?gameid=m-Game-0000-158) web site lists Mario Party, which, if any game is a "Party game" it's this, as a Board game.

I thought that party games offered a variety of different mini games which you could play multiplayer, thus party.

So did I.

Oh, I am so confused. My entire world is being raped upside down. :(

Wow, I've never heard that one before...

crashNUMBERS
03-23-2005, 12:28 PM
Like what muppet said it also has mini games. Thanks for mensioning that muppet 'cause I forgot about that one...

Sephex
03-23-2005, 04:36 PM
It's a fighting game. Just because it doesn't have animeish people in it or 1,000 button combos doesn't mean it can't qualify being a fighting game. It's just in a different style.

Dreddz
03-23-2005, 04:44 PM
it is a fighter but I dislike its style and is a fighter for people just getting into the fighting game genre

Flamethrower
03-23-2005, 06:50 PM
It is both a fighting game and a party game. Fighting games are one of the crappiest genre of games, but Nintendo managed to take it and make a fun game out of it. It's simply better than all other fighting games. There, I said it.

Behold the Void
03-23-2005, 07:22 PM
Anyone who thinks Smash Bros. requires no skill because it doesn't have complex, premade combos that require you to memorize massive lists of buttons obviously hasn't played the game.

Smash Bros. is a fighting game, plain and simple. As others have said, it does some new and interesting things with the genre, but it is a fighting game. You have characters, you press buttons, they punch and kick and use special moves on each other, and its done in real time. Sounds like a fighting game to me. It uses some platformer elements and the percentage system is an innovation, but heaven forbid people actually think up new concepts and ideas so that the old ones don't get stale and pointless.

Not only is Smash Bros. a fighting game, it's one of the best ones out there. It has a deceptively simple in design and execution, and doesn't have a bunch of premade combos for you to memories and mash buttons to do. The moves are easy to pull off, but its using them effectively that is the true test of skill. There are a myriad of potential combos and the like, but its up to you to figure out what works with what.

In any event, just because it hosts a four-player system doesn't make it a party game, as if such a classification truly exists.

Sephex
03-23-2005, 07:44 PM
Not only is Smash Bros. a fighting game, it's one of the best ones out there. It has a deceptively simple in design and execution, and doesn't have a bunch of premade combos for you to memories and mash buttons to do. The moves are easy to pull off, but its using them effectively that is the true test of skill. There are a myriad of potential combos and the like, but its up to you to figure out what works with what.

That reminds me of people who really know how to play SSBM. Have you ever seen a match where everyone really knows what they are doing? That's some crazy ****!

SeeDRankLou
03-23-2005, 08:37 PM
Attempt to beat SSMB on Very Hard All-Star Mode without dieing and tell me this isn't a fighting game.

Flamethrower
03-23-2005, 09:14 PM
In any event, just because it hosts a four-player system doesn't make it a party game, as if such a classification truly exists.

Party games are an actual genre. Games such as Mario Party and You Don't Know Jack fall under that catagory, and I'm pretty sure I've seen Super Smash Bros classified as a party game many times.

Lionx
03-23-2005, 09:55 PM
Fighting games alone made Arcades viable..else there would be no more. Fighting games are not unnoteworthy at all.You read the System FAQ on Fighting games, its not as shallow as you think it is..its VERY deep and long read.

Smash can be fighting hardcore, or party. Without the Items and the stages that has different stuff going on, then it is pure hardcore fighting that is as deep as some SF games out there. With items and on moving stages especially, it becomes a party game.

http://www.video-opera.com/features/f0011.php

Eat it biotches :p

Luc
03-24-2005, 02:12 AM
Just because this game isn't similar to your Tekken, or Street Fighter, that doesn't mean its not a fighting game. You say it's a game for people barely starting fighting games, but I think this game is way more challenging then Tekken.

You may not like it's style, but just because you don't like it, it doesn't mean it's not a fighting game.

I think SSBM is actually a great and fun game. I enjoy playing that with my friends rather than playing Tekken, or something else.

Attempt to beat SSMB on Very Hard All-Star Mode without dieing and tell me this isn't a fighting game.

Yup.

Lionx
03-24-2005, 09:15 AM
The thing is, a REAL (REAL=great) fighting game can be played at high levels. Smash bros is definetly one of them as the link i posted. Anyone can take up the game, but to be really good, you have to study the System FAQ and learn its moves and dynamic playstyle differences. Just like how you can make Ryu jump in and sweep, you can make Ryu c.lk x 3 => Shinku Hadouken. You can make Marth do a Smash, or you can keep throwing the guy over and over then throw him to the side and smash him, all the while playing a platform game to keep him off or to smash him down in the air. Its both tatical and can be played at high levels and has reletively good balance between players and stages(even those that are party stages). A game like SvChaos is not considered a REAL fighting game because of balance issues and other quirks. You rarely see SvChaos tournaments yet you see CvsS2 and yes..Smash Bros Tournaments.