PDA

View Full Version : So how bout that PSP?

square_is_the_best
03-23-2005, 04:03 AM
Maybe its me but I can see no evidence of PSP hype on eoff(I speak to NA members) Its only 2 days more. I mean this thing is gonna be awesome. I was going to buy an iPod but I'm glad I didn't because PSP is gonna be so much more badass. Maybe we could have eoff tourneys via tunneling.
By the way, will PSP come in different colors? I saw a pic of a white GT version but I don't know if its purchaseable.

disapointedchild
03-23-2005, 04:14 AM
Im gonna get that bad boy.

About how much is it going to cost?

UltimateSpamGrover
03-23-2005, 04:23 AM
$250

Wiegrahf42
03-24-2005, 01:27 AM
Meh, The psp will crash and burn in my opinion. All who have challenged Nintendo at the hand held market have had their rumps handed to them on a silver platter. Mainly becuase the DS's design was extremely innovative.

Black Mage
03-24-2005, 03:41 AM
Maybe its me but I can see no evidence of PSP hype on eoff(I speak to NA members) Its only 2 days more. I mean this thing is gonna be awesome. I was going to buy an iPod but I'm glad I didn't because PSP is gonna be so much more badass. Maybe we could have eoff tourneys via tunneling.
By the way, will PSP come in different colors? I saw a pic of a white GT version but I don't know if its purchaseable.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/washpost/20050319/tc_washpost/a48974_2005mar19

Anyways, even then, I don't think the PSP will do too well; rather, I don't want it to do too well.

I bought my DS, and as far as I'm concerned, that's all I need between the two.

Sephex
03-24-2005, 06:14 AM
Well, I think the PSP looks great, but the $250 price tag and $50 per game thing is asking a lot out of gamers. Plus, I heard the battery life is terrible.

Rase
03-24-2005, 06:24 AM
How about.... no. :)

Lionx
03-24-2005, 06:37 AM
Just like the article said, its about games..DS doesnt need those add-ons because frankly when i buy a portable gaming system i play GAMES...and DS for focusing on that already made me ignore Sony for their ploy to make them look attractive by doing all sorts of useless things. Frankly their special features are a turn-off for me(i even would say its faulty design)..not to mention their battery...if you lose it o god how evil that would be...the money needed to replace it! :x

Super Christ
03-24-2005, 03:45 PM
Not to mention the whole crappy Square button and dead pixels thing I heard going on for the Japanese launch.

Maxico
03-24-2005, 05:00 PM
OK first of all I am supporting sony and their PSP because nintendo have pulled lots of http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif over the years and I just prefere sony.

Right, Nintendo do have a stronghold on the market but that is simply because there hasn't been any competition for around 10 years (Unless you count the N-Gage but that was hardley competition.) Nintendo will mostly be counting on their fanbase (which in the console wars doesnt seem to be faring them too well) and the nintendo mostly caters for the pre-teen market.

The sony on the other hand have the largest portion of the market and are catering more towards the early twenty something gadget market.

Next up. DS owners cant talk about add ons. The touch screen makes me think that the nintedo executives said "Hey sony are making a hand held console, lets rush out our own with a cheap gimmick that will really appeal to our pre-teen fanboys" It reminds me of that simpsons episode where Malibu Stacy dolls defeat the competition by releasing a doll with a new hat. Apart from using picto chat I dont really see the point. And with picto chat (correct me if im wrong) you within a short radius of the people your talking to anyway. Why not just use a pen and paper? At least sonys gimmicks are logical. Video and Audio playback are natural extensions to having a portable screen with speakers, wireless connectivity is the natual extension to... well being wireless.

Third battery life. Fully charged I have heard that it plays for around 4 - 6 hours with the WIFI ON. Remember the WIFI drains the batterys faster that simply playing a single player game. Losing the battery pack? Wouldn't that be just be the same as losing the stylus except there is no need to actualy remove it?

And then theres the difference in graphics which people seem to conveiniantly forget. If you compare Ridge Racer DS to Ridge Racers on the psp the diference is immense.

EDIT: Sorry I forgot. There have also been reports on the DS having dead pixles but little notice is taken as nintendo have a policy of repairing it even if there is only one dead pixel. Im not sure what the sony policy is but I think they only take it back if there are two or more.

Sephex
03-24-2005, 05:20 PM
Yeah, that wasn't a fanboyish comment there.

EDIT: If I sounded mean, I didn't mean to come off that way. Lately, I am sick of gamers being so cynical on the internet.

Dreddz
03-24-2005, 06:51 PM
Ive got the PSP and its great!
In comparison to the DS it overpowers it in alot of ways.
It looks cool while the DS it a chunky block
The games are amazing like Darkstalkers and Ridge Racer.
While the DS has guess what MARIO and you guessed it WARIO
Geez can nintendo think of anything else except Fat Plumbers ( or pizza men I dunno )
The PSP has better games and Graphics. Im happy that Nintendo are trying to bring new things like the pen writing thing. But to be frank. After playing the DS that feature is crap!

Old Manus
03-24-2005, 07:32 PM
Most people I know are going for the PSP. Mainly because they all have PS2s which are great, so they feel they can trust Sony to make a decent device.

The Gamecube wasn't such a big hit, and I know of nobody who has one. One of the letdowns was the lack of variety in the games. A large amount of the games were in the Mario, Zelda, region. Which may appeal to young gamers, but there isn't such a big market. People say PS2 is running out of ideas, yet Nintendo are still using the original concepts they used on the NES. This is a step back in my opinion.

If the DS becomes overun with Mario-type games, it will make me lose my already low confidence in Ninendo altogether.

Maxico
03-24-2005, 07:36 PM
I clearly stated at the top of my post that I was supporting sony. There was no need to reassert that fact. I may have seemed a little extremist in that post but thats only because the majority of the people in this thread seemed to be against the psp.

Dreddz
03-24-2005, 07:38 PM
I agree
I understand that sony are running out of ideas. But only on the actual
products not the games. The PSP is baiscally a PS2 controller but with a screen. But with the Sony formula anyway who wants to change it

omnitarian
03-24-2005, 08:28 PM
Right, Nintendo do have a stronghold on the market but that is simply because there hasn't been any competition for around 10 years

The Game.com, Neo Geo Pocket/Color, and the Wonderswan/Color are three competitors off the top of my head.

And with picto chat (correct me if im wrong) you within a short radius of the people your talking to anyway.

The Technical specs say the wireless's range is between 30-100 feet. And the wireless will be used for more than just pictochat, anyway.

Opinions are good, but not when they're heavy handed and based on misinformation. :-/

Lionx
03-24-2005, 10:03 PM
I really dont remember Nintendo pulling any real http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif..just maybe mistakes like carts on N64, and the GC using small discs. The problem is most people just prefer to go with PS2's design and they never went to push the GC's limit. PS2, with its shortages and errors it has, thats real http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif...not whatever mistake a company made...i mean its not a good thing but its not a extremely bad thing as well..i mean how many defective Nintendo products you have that just dies on you after good care? Or tilting it sideways?

WSC and the others still didnt really "compete" :x

Erdrick Holmes
03-24-2005, 10:07 PM
Does the PSP have the graphics capabilites of a PS2? Because I heard the PSP is getting a new Darkstalkers game. I bet PSP will be getting Sammy Vs Capcom when it's done.

Maxico
03-24-2005, 10:55 PM
I distinctly remember nintendo massivly delaying the GBA so they could milk the pokemon franchise a bit longer.

My PS2 has been tilted sideways for 4 years and it works fine

Im sorry about being heavy handed but its not like nobody else is. Why is it suddenly ok to be heavy handed when your opposing sony and fine when your opposing nintendo?

The graphics on the psp arn't quite as good as the ps2 as far as I could tell.

Dingo Jellybean
03-25-2005, 12:07 AM
People just seem to forget the Game Gear, the only true competitor to the Gameboy franchise.

I don't ever plan to buy games anymore, and that means no game systems. As for the PSP, Spider-Man 2 looks really good on it...the movie that is. But you the movie can only be played on the system and nowhere else.

I think the PSP will have a modest endowment on the market, nothing Nintendo can't handle. But the DS and PSP have these high price tags that won't attract too many people.

Lionx
03-25-2005, 03:17 AM
Well speaking of price tag the DS has a lower base price..therefore its more attractive then dont you think?

There are cases of PS2s breaking after a 9 month use or by tilting it vertically before as well as the disc thing being jammed....i havent seen a GC problem besides people messing up the laser inside it which you shouldnt...

Dreddz
03-25-2005, 09:00 AM
Does the PSP have the graphics capabilites of a PS2? Because I heard the PSP is getting a new Darkstalkers game. I bet PSP will be getting Sammy Vs Capcom when it's done.

The graphics of the PSP are sharp and great. Ok maybe not as good as the PS2 but they still worked pretty damn hard. As for the Darkstalkers game there is one already out which ive got for the PSP and is pretty good but not amazing. Not sure if theres going to be anymore though.
Sammy vs Capcom sounds great. Has it been confirmed?

Dreddz
03-25-2005, 09:03 AM
There are cases of PS2s breaking after a 9 month use or by tilting it vertically before as well as the disc thing being jammed....i havent seen a GC problem besides people messing up the laser inside it which you shouldnt...

Ive heard of this but has never happened to me. My mates PS2 broke after bout a year and bit. I use disc cleaners though. Dunno if they work but somethings keeping my PS2 alive

Maxico
03-25-2005, 11:23 AM
There are cases of PS2s breaking after a 9 month use or by tilting it vertically before as well as the disc thing being jammed...

My PS2 has been tilted sideways for 4 years and it works fine.

Not only that but pretty much everybody I know tilts their PS2 none of them have broken and we all got ours at around the same time. I think that your being a little heavy handed. Its just like the case of Xbox cords sparking and buring people. Its happend to around 50 people in the world ever and suddenly people think its a major risk.

Besides there have been reports of the B button on gamecube breaking after a few months.

Dreddz
03-25-2005, 11:44 AM
I tilt my PS2 up and it works fine.

Zeldy
03-25-2005, 01:37 PM
I really dont like sony,i hate sony, everything i own from sony is crap, the ps1 freezes on me and even some sony earphones i have are rubbish,
Stick with Nintendo and you wont go wrong.
I have a Nintendo DS, its awesome,only 1 thing wrong tho.. there should be more protection for the screen.
But there was nothing wrong with it at all apart from that.

~But thats just my opinion~

Dreddz
03-25-2005, 04:46 PM
sonys domination over Nintendo shows that it is the best games company

Sephex
03-25-2005, 06:44 PM
That logic makes no sense. Would you say that the current number one Billboard artist is the best possible music to listen to just because it is number one? Sales don't mean quality.

Xalioniaf
03-25-2005, 07:45 PM
A few days ago, I went to my local Blockbuster to buy two new games for my DS(Wario Ware: Touched! and Yoshi Touch and Go to be specific). As I checked out, I started a little chat with the clerk. I asked him what he thought about the whole DS-PSP thing, and he gave me some sage advice.

"I think that the DS and the PSP are two different things. The PSP seems to be aimed at more of people who need to do many different things, while the DS seems aimed at people who just want to play games. I don't think it's right to compare the two, because they're not the same in any way."

Afterwards, he told me he alrady had the PSPs in the back(this was Monday), but he couldn't sell them ^.^.

I might get one if I can save up the money. 10 dollars a week isn't alot, but with summer comes growing lawns ^.^.

DragonflyLex
03-25-2005, 07:49 PM
That logic makes no sense. Would you say that the current number one Billboard artist is the best possible music to listen to just because it is number one? Sales don't mean quality.

Have to agree with Sephex on that! ;)

Dreddz
03-25-2005, 07:53 PM
The sales of the PS2 show for something. People wouldnt be buying them if they knew they were rubbish. There buying them cause there good

Lionx
03-25-2005, 09:45 PM
Lol i am not being heavy handed, my friend's PS2 after being tilted once stopped working and he had to get a new one. Its just true, its not like every PS2 has that problem but to be able to see enough people have it means that there are product defects on some. Since it was suppose to be able to tilt veritcally but for some PS2s it fails to and breaks on you (on enough PS2s to be talked about) shows something of poor manufacturing. I am not being hard, its just true.

The only reason why people got Sony is because Nintendo fouled up bad with N64 and PSX overtook them by them making more buisness deals with different 3rd party game developers. And i dont blame the developers too, Cart or CD? CD of course. Sony themselves never made any real ground breaking games or have anything by themselves that is near the power of Mario or Zelda.

Sales show nothing...if PS2 did not have the third party games as it does now, i would not have even touched it and stayed purely to Nintendo. Not that Nintendo has been perfect either, but i like their games that they made themselves too. Third party games are everything, Sony just made the right buisness deals. How else would a machine that is so limited in processing power (FFXI is a good example of it) be the top of the heap?

*Agrees with sephex too*

Sephex
03-25-2005, 09:47 PM
The sales of the PS2 show for something. People wouldnt be buying them if they knew they were rubbish. There buying them cause there good

There has been plenty of games that sold a lot in the past, despite the game being complete garbage (see: Enter The Matrix).

Dreddz
03-25-2005, 10:06 PM
Well there a few exeptions.
But Enter The Matrix werent that bad.
OK it was

Daggers64
03-26-2005, 04:53 AM
Sony surely isn't doing very good so far with the PSP sales lol
I live in the area around Chicago, and I have friends that work at best buy and target... and according to them, then PSP is selling like crap.
Out of the 50 units each store got in... they've only sold like 10-15 in the past 2 days lol...
where as the DS sold out almost imediatly. lol

And while the PSP may over power the DS in graphics... the DS can do just about everything and more the PSP can! It can play MP3s and movies, although official ways to do that wont be out for a few months. lol
The DS has wireless internet, and also has downloadable game abilities... I just went to a game exibit at a museum in Chicago, and they had a thing setup there that let me download a cool little mini game onto my DS ^_^/
The DS is supposed to have some kind of wireless connectivity to the Revolution that will allow automatic updates as well, that will give the DS more features, that arn't dependent on game carts.

And to top it off, its HALF the price of the PSP =P and thats what will be the major selling point for the majority of the gamers out there!
In the history of handheld gaming, there have always been better units out there than the GB, but because of cost and battery life, they have all failed in the shadow of the affordable well built Nintedo handhelds. =P

Not to mention the new bugs the American PSPs are getting! OMG... my friend bought his on the day it came out... and returned it 5 times in the 2 days, cause each new one he got had at least 2 dead pixels in the screen... after the 5th one, he gave up and just got his money back.
And I'm sure we'll see the same flaws that the Japanese experianced! (bubbles in the screen, discs not staying in under stress, analog sticks falling off... ect...)
Did you know that Sony in Japan, since the PSP came out, isn't giving anyone their money back for the PSPs? I think I also heard its hell to even get one replaced... bad sony... bad...

The PSP is also built like crap! I highly doubt it will hold up to the "little brother test" let alone a drop on a sidewalk.

sorry... I had to let off some steam tward the PSP... stupid G4 tv has been bias all day and greatly favors the PSP over the DS (no doubt because of bribes from Sony) I keep seeing them compare the DS and the PSP, based solely on the graphics alone, and hype all the PSP's features, while not even talking about what the DS is capable of...v.v

(wow ^_^;; long post... I hope I didn't come off too anti-sony LOL I have a lot of sony products, and I'd get a PSP, if it was only cheaper and less buggy... and if sony wasn't so evil recently XD)

square_is_the_best
03-26-2005, 05:08 AM
1 or 2 pixels out of 130560 isn't alot. Your friend is just too picky.

For those of you who doubt the PSP battery life:
http://psp.ign.com/articles/574/574557p1.html?fromint=1

If you still don't like the battery life, just know that its being used to leave the DS in the dust technologically.

Little brother test? Who in the world (literally) would let there little brother come within a 50 foot radius? Who would be without the protective case on the sidewalk? And if you say "what if its not in the case. What if the are using it on the sidewalk." To that I say: Why would you be using it while you're walking?

Sorry...I had to let off some steam towards the Nintendo fanpeople. Touche.

Sephex
03-26-2005, 05:14 AM
I live in the area around Chicago

Me too (I live in Chicago Hts.). Anyway, I don't know how it is selling around here, but I will find out soon.

Daggers64
03-26-2005, 05:24 AM
Wow... only 3-5 hours average battery life? that sucks... I get AT LEAST 10 hours of battery out of my DS, no matter what I do on it! o.o
If they can't get 8+ hours out of a handheld, then the technology needs to be tweaked down to be more energy efficient...

And things like that happen! If you buy something like that, siblings tend to sneak in your room and take it, especially if you dont let them play with it... and if your siblings are winny... and say your 14 and got one for your bday... your little brother starts crying and buggin your parents and such, until your parents make you share it... *shudders*

Also, you can't honestly expect that people arn't gonna bring it with them when they go out... I'm just saying, surely people out there are gonna be playing it, above a hard surface... maybe even indoors... and they will accedently drop it... either from being bumped into or distractions, or something... and well, the moment that thing hits the floor, say good by to that $250 investment!

My friend's little sister flushed his GB down the toilet once, out of anger... and of course the familly had no idea what was cloging it... so the poored draino down it... when that didn't work, somehow they found out the GB was down there... and after all that, it still worked fine!! =P
You dont even want to know what my sibblings have done to my personal/expensive belongings... >_< Kids are cruel... even when they dont mean to be/ accedents happen...

Lionx
03-26-2005, 05:29 AM
Er there are tons of kids that will get a handheld and walk with it down a sidewalk playing with their parents around them..>_>

I would let my brother play. What kind of bad brother am i? I dont see your logic here. To be a good product it must be good for just about EVERY kind of situation possible...

Daggers64
03-26-2005, 05:33 AM
I'm not a mean sister or anything, I just monitor my sibblings when they play with my things, cause I've experianced one too many accedents. lol

Its actually better to let them try things out, so they dont try it behind your back... cause thats never good. lol
At least, thats my experiance. XD

square_is_the_best
03-26-2005, 05:39 AM
Yeah my GBC got soaked and it still works. But I haven't played it for 2 years.

If little siblings start whining, buy them a DS, and say the PSP is for older kids. I'm sure the Nintendo game library is suitable for them.

The lowest battery life statistic is 2 hours and 46 minutes. Please use accurate statistics. Fanpeople can be so biased.

By the way, who would flush $250 dollars down a toilet. And dropping a glass vase from a height of 4 feet (about where your hands would be) doesn't break it on a carpeted surface. I doubt a handheld made from plastic would either.

I didn't say you wouldn't go outside with it. I'm saying you're going to put it in its case before you do. If you don't, you're asking to fork over another $250. I can expect a "Well, you don't have to put a DS in a case when you go out! Its SOOOO durable." I didn't know that putting something in its case was such an arduous task.

My friend's little sister flushed his GB
Funny.

Lionx
03-26-2005, 05:59 AM
Lol picking on grammar is like weak..>_>

Lol i am sure that as long as EVERYONE out there says it to their siblings the PSP will become the best portable game system out there...>_> What are you trying to say? that doesnt say anything...-_-

By the way, who would flush $250 dollars down a toilet. And dropping a glass vase from a height of 4 feet (about where your hands would be) doesn't break it on a carpeted surface. I doubt a handheld made from plastic would either.

Who would flush anything thats a gaming system down the toilet? It happens plain and simple...and theres been reports on it.

The point is not putting in the case, but needing it in the first place means that the handheld is not that durable..

Daggers64
03-26-2005, 06:03 AM
wow you really are an idiot arn't you... "My friend's little sister flushed his GB" HIS refers to the friend, not the sister...
If your gonna insult me because of my grammer in sentences and you aren't gonna come up with decent arguments supporting your point, then go waste your money... and I hope your PSP gets run over by a train.

ANYWAY... I'm not a fan of Nintendo... I only own one Nintendo product, the DS.
I'm just saying that Nintendo's DS is a better product, at least until the GBA 2 XD and I don't beleive the PSP will do that good... I'm pretty sure it will go the way most of Nintendo's handheld competitors went.

And yes, a case is a good idea for transporting a handheld system... but most casts don't let you play the game while its still in the case! You need to bring it out to play it! =P Plus most people don't bother with cases, even when they should... I've seen people with import PSPs store them in their pockets, unprotected.
AND being indoors doesn't mean you have a carpet!!!! >__> I was talking about hard floors! I dont think anything would break that easilly... But if the PSP is droped from 4ft, I'm sure it wouldn't walk away with out damage... and the harder the floor, the worse damage...

Sony products have always been nice, dont get me wrong, I'm a bigger fan of Sony in some ways than I am of Nintendo. Half the electronics in my house are probably sony brand LOL... And they work well when treated right... but drop any of them, or wack them with something, and they're as good as dead... And the PSP is something that NEEDS to be strong, because handhelds get a lot more physical abuse than my DVD player does.

On more than one occasion, Nintendo products have withstanded the worse odds and still comeout to play games... lol
There is a video out there somewhere, where some guys tie the GameCube to their truck and drive it around like that... afterward it still played mario sunshine. xD And if you really want proof, go to G4's site and see what "Morgan Van Webb" lol did to the PS2, GC, and Xbox... XD

Tidus Andronicus
03-26-2005, 06:15 AM
wow... LOL I usually get involved in these kinds of arguments :p

Yea, honestly, if the PSP needs a case, it can't be very strong! lol

square_is_the_best just stop, your only digging your self into a deeper hole. rolf

I want a PSP just as much as any other gamer out there. But just like most gamers, I can't afford that $250 price tag, at least not unless the product actually is worth that much.
Frankly, I haven't seen it for sale anywhere online, where it isn't a package deal with like 4 or 5 games, that ends up costing 500 something, and thats just rediculious!
Maybe if Sony lowers the price, of the PSP and games... and they fix the errors/bugs/defects that I've witnessed first hand. Then it has a chance to beat Nintendo out of the handheld market. (Though I dont think thats gonna happen... especially not if this GBA2 thing comes out lol, cause thats probably gonna be even better than the DS.)

OH, and if that were me, 2 pixels is definantly enough to warrent me to take it back... When I buy a product I expect it to be perfect when its brand new!! I don't want dead pixels in the middle my game's screen.=P

Dreddz
03-26-2005, 08:33 AM
square_is_the_best I totallt agree with you.
Has any of you played the PSP. I mean stop judging it without even playing it. The DS is cheaper yer but you get more out of the PSP.
Just wait a little time before buying one and it would be cheaper by then. With that pixel problem. Aint happened to mine so I dont care.

Maxico
03-26-2005, 12:36 PM
ok first up there have been reports of dead pixles on the DS as well the only difference is that nitendo will replace it if there is one dead pixel while sony requires 2 or 3. Yes the PSP probably needs a case but then so did the GBA (mine got waaaaay scratched up).
About the price? I've seen PSP's on sale over the internet for £130. Doesn't seem like much of a biggie to me. T
The battery? Most laptops only last 3 hours (less if you're using WiFi). Its about what you can expect from a product with superior processing power. And are you really going to be playing for 10 hours solidly. If you really want to keep it on while your playing you can just put it on sleep mode and the loss of power is negliable.
The thing you said about the DS being able to do most of what a PSP can do neatly cancels out LionX's arguement that the extras put him off.

Now dont get me wrong. I have owned pretty much every nintendo handheld console there is (back from the old game and watch) but the GBA's had very flawed designs.

The GBA famously had no backlit screen making it pretty much impossible to play games out of direct light. Also forced me to cover up the speakers with my right hand while playing, muffling the noise. It also had no charger meaning that if I was playing at home I would have to use rechargable batterys that lasted around 5 hours (does that playtime sound familiar?)

When I got my GBA SP I was happy to find that most of these problems had been sorted out. But nintendo had to sneak something in and helpfuly neglected to put in the headphone jack I was so used to using after my hand covered up the speakers so much with my old GBA.

Looking back at my old gameboy and the gameboy pocket I inexplicably brought. I can see that the speaker is in that same arkward posistion.

Now Im not saying that the DS has any of these flaws. I wouldnt know as I've never used one but Im saying that nintendo havnt had the best track record when it comes to desing in my opinion.

Dreddz
03-26-2005, 01:46 PM
SEE Maxico knows the truth

Tidus Andronicus
03-26-2005, 03:53 PM
Yes, I have played to PSP... =P
Only thing better about it, is the graphics. =P And even those aren't as good as some people claim... "Oh its as good as a PS2!" HAH barely, its something just around the same as a PS1. The graphics are just real sharp! So on a little handheld screen, its not noticable.
I have experianced what the PSP is like... and even seeing that, I like the DS better.
So quit using that as a defence. I wouldn't be comparing the 2 systems, if I hadn't seen both...

Daggers64
03-26-2005, 04:25 PM
^_^ I've had exposure to the PSP since my friend was able to import one. I've tried it... and like Tidus, I only see sharper graphics.

And the only game I thought was really cool on the PSP (that he had anyway) was Lumines.

I know what both systems can do, and I know where both systems have problems...

And if the DS has pixel troubles, they must only get them in very rare cases... and I commend Nintendo for fixing them so quickly!
Out of the 20 DS units I've seen, none had any dead pixels, not even the demo ones beat up in stores by children.
If my PSP got one dead pixel in the middle of the screen, and no more... I'd be pretty pissed that Sony wouldn't fix it!

Dreddz
03-26-2005, 04:59 PM
OK you to have played it and you have your choice of the PSP and the DS. But still how can you say the DS is better. PSP can do all that the DS can and more. You lot are complaining about a bloody pixel !
My PSP aint had none of that trouble. Plus game wise the DS sucks. OMG its mario for the 50th time yay!!!
The only problem im having with the PSP is the battery life which is poor but im in a system now were I play it and just charge the battery again. I mean whos gonna play it for 5-6 hours. Also people say it only goes on for about 2 hrs which are lies. Played it for 3 and a half hrs last night.

Tidus Andronicus
03-26-2005, 05:18 PM
We're not complaining about just one pixel.
We are just pointing out that the PSP has way more flaws than it should, for $250... and that Sony isn't doing much to fix the problems, because they use cheap parts, and then charge too much for them.

I'll admit, currently, the DS needs more good games. There are a few really interesting ones out right now... but the better ones arn't planed for a few months. Although in the next month, a couple of real nice ones are coming out. The DS has a lot of features, some of which are still not in use, but even so, will be in use soon. And on top of that, the DS can receive bios upgrades from games and internet that will expand its capabilities even further.
The features on the DS, like the wireless are even better than the PSP's because its a higher wireless standard, it can go damn far, and can chain distances.
Our whole point is that the DS can do more than the PSP can... and that the only thing the DS lacks is the graphics, but its not far behind in even that area.

Also, people might dissagree with me on this, but when I hold the PSP, it feels like I could twist it, and break it. Where as with the DS its nice and solid, and the only weak spot I can find, is the joint between the screens.
The fact that the DS has a touch screen, makes a lot of people unsure about how good the DS is. But the touch screen, in most cases is just another control option, cause you still have the normal buttons of a GB.

I'm gonna say, that your choice of handheld systems, really depends on what kind of gamer you are, as well.

Dreddz
03-26-2005, 05:26 PM
Another feature for the PSP is that it can be a phone to. Bet the DS cant do that

Tidus Andronicus
03-26-2005, 05:29 PM
Yes, actually the DS can! its got a microphone, and speakers... duh!

Nintendo is actually working on a voice chat system that will be in use for the full internet launch of the DS!
=P

And I'm sure, if they wanted to, they could easilly make a program that could 'dial' another friends DS up over the internet, like an internet phone. And if they did, it would all be part of their free online service.

You know, they could even do something like a head set for that too, they could use a device that either hookes into the charge outlet, or one of the card slots, that links to a headset thing to provide even better sound quality.
Its a nicely set up device, because all of the DS's features can be accessed from either the GBA slot or the DS slot. ^_^

Dreddz
03-26-2005, 05:50 PM
your saying they will. But you dont know and I bet they wont. They would of told everyone by now

Sephex
03-26-2005, 06:36 PM
your saying they will. But you dont know and I bet they wont. They would of told everyone by now

They did. Do your research.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/594/594933p1.html

Maxico
03-26-2005, 06:45 PM
Look this has gone way to far. I was only defending the psp by responding to the points that other brought up but this has just gotten silly. Look I want to get a PSP, they want to (or have) a DS. Nothing is going to change that. To be honest its not the hardware you play it on its the games you play on it and I just prefere the line up on sonys console. No amount of "omg DS can do this and PSP can do that" is going to change that. Both systems have their own merits and both look very nice. Theres no need to continue sniping at each other because we want to buy something that they dont.

Just... shut up...

Dreddz
03-26-2005, 07:24 PM
Im sorry :(

Sorry Sepex
Sorry Tidus Andronicus
Sorry Daggers64

RedCydranth
03-26-2005, 07:28 PM
For my lifestyle and needs the PSP is way better than the DS IMHO.

I never did like the 2 screen idea.

Dreddz
03-26-2005, 07:31 PM
Sorry *Sephex* mispellt your name

Maxico had a food point. To me neither systems are bad. There just different. And I just happen to prefer the PSP. And I prefer the line up of games for the PSP. Not really into mario and yoshi etc
But the DS is a goos machine and if you like Nintendos line up and cast Im not stopping you in getting one :)

Sephex
03-27-2005, 01:17 AM
Im sorry :(

Sorry Sepex
Sorry Tidus Andronicus
Sorry Daggers64

No dude, I wasn't angry or anything. I was just showing you (and anyone else interested) proff that the DS had online plans.

EDIT: Just for the record, even though I own a DS, I am not singling out the PSP. The PSP is okay, but I already stated why I will not buy one myself as of now.

Lionx
03-27-2005, 02:21 AM
Yeah, i just stated reasons why the PSP isnt that attractive to me compared to the DS even though i have none. I mean looking at both...i say the price tag alone is enough for me to know which one to choose if i had to. Sony and Nintendo have ups, and downs like just about any company. But with all the PSP fanbois around the net, its just kinda..bah...they say too much without knowing whats up..

Tidus Andronicus
03-27-2005, 03:48 AM
^_^; I'm sorry if I come off overly aggressive when I get into arguments.

I definantly agree, people play a system, that has the games they want!
And some go with price, while others go with graphics... In the end it doesn't really matter.lol

Can't say I don't like arguing my point, even if I'm sometimes wrong. xD

Hmmm, wouldn't it be interesting if a game on the DS could also work on the PSP, so that people with the different systems could still vs eachother? ^_^

Daggers64
03-27-2005, 03:59 AM
:greenie: No one needs to appologize to me =3 I just wanted to get some stuff off my chest, after seeing how G4TechTV Hypes up the PSP vs the DS.

This is a PSP thread after all ^_^;;;; so yea, sorry x3

For some reason, this battle reminds me of the Saturn vs the PS1 thing a while back... Sony was throwing all kinds of attack adds out and Sega was flooding TV with their game commercials... but never really attacked... until this one commercial that was for Nights, and up till that point, neither system had any fully 3D real time graphics... and of course Sega's defence in the comercial (which was the only attack ad I have ever seen done by Sega) was that the PS1 couldn't do realtime cause it only had one processor (which is pretty much true)
The line in the commercial was something like:
"On no other system can you fly around in realtime 3D graphics, no nada never, But certainly not that OTHER system *flashes to PS1* Simply because with only one processor, it doens't have the power! *refering to the ps1, now falling off a high building* Fly baby, Fly... SEGA"XD
Or something like that... anyway yea, I just suddenly remembered that, and wanted to say it XD nvm! =3

Xalioniaf
03-27-2005, 06:30 AM
And are you really going to be playing for 10 hours solidly.
yes :p

Dreddz
03-27-2005, 07:48 AM
Wow you lot are really kind about this :)

Maxico
03-27-2005, 09:05 AM
The line in the commercial was something like:
"On no other system can you fly around in realtime 3D graphics, no nada never, But certainly not that OTHER system *flashes to PS1* Simply because with only one processor, it doens't have the power! *refering to the ps1, now falling off a high building* Fly baby, Fly... SEGA"

Haha, that must have been an awesome ad.

Xalioniaf
03-27-2005, 11:43 PM
Haha, that must have been an awesome ad.
Do you think they have it on the internet somewhere?

Daggers64
03-28-2005, 12:25 AM
Yea, actually, I saw it a while back on a website... but I need to check with w friend first to see if I can still find it. ^_^;

The Shoeless Hobo
03-28-2005, 03:12 AM
What does it matter if the battery is only 4 hours? As long as you can play while recharging, it's good.

I mean, most of the time you'll either be in the car or at home while playing the PSP. And while doing so, you'll also be recharging it using a car charger or the charger that came with it. Honestly, you're not going to spend the whole time playing the PSP while doing a jog around the block. xP

Necronopticous
03-28-2005, 03:24 AM
I've been playing it all weekend, it's a goddamn amazing piece of hardware. You really can't even compare the DS to the PSP, when Nintendo releases their next handheld device, that will be comparable with the PSP.

Somewhere between watching an anime series, looking at hundreds of photos, listening to music, watching movie trailers, and playing PS2 looking games on this thing I decided that it's beyond worth the price tag.

Daggers64
03-28-2005, 08:05 PM
I found a place that has that sega attack commercial... just incase anyone wants it. ^_^;
http://www.classicgaming.com/saturn/nights/media_commercial.html
Although, I can't seem to get it my self... that was it anyway.

EDIT: I had a friend upload it for me ^_^; You can get it here:
http://ciprianispasta.com/~pkgingo/nights.mov

Correction! In the commercial it says "Fly PlayThing Fly, your not ready." XDXD best commercial ever!!! XD
You have to remember, back when Nights was out, there wasn'y any good realtime 3D games out there, and basically the PS1 Couldn't handle the real time graphics.
Anyway, watch it for your self XD it rocks!

(yea, I know a guy who's ant owns Ciprianis Pasta XD)

Dignified Pauper
03-28-2005, 08:26 PM
While I believe both handheld systems will have their fair share of GOOD games. I believe the DS will outsell the PSP b/c Nintendo has always created the best hand-held gaming systems. Why? They just have. WSC never released in America. Game Gear, whle popular for a short amount of time, was not successful. the DS is already outselling the PSP. To even bring in consoles such as the PS2, the Gamecube, the N64, or the PSX is rediculous. One flaw in a different system doesn't reflect the companies other systems.
Someone said their PSX always freezes, guess what, the console is very old now! Take better care of it, and it doesn't happen. I got my PS2 the christmas they came out, and I always lay it horizontally, it works perfectly still to this day. My friend's GC, it works wonderfully, and let's remember, that the GC is the most advanced system out there. It's graphic capabilities are the highest, however, the mini disc choice was the flaw that ruined the system's specs. GC has much more power than Xbox and PS2, as well as being more durable.

the ds will outsell the psp in quality and fanbase. Nintendo will always dominate the handheld market because, lets face it, their hand-helds are just better.

Tidus Andronicus
03-28-2005, 08:44 PM
"Never not anywhere, but especially not on that other system" XD

Wow that commercial rocks! XD
Thanks for posting it!!^_^

XD "PlayThing" XXD omg Go Sega!

Xalioniaf
03-28-2005, 11:40 PM
What does it matter if the battery is only 4 hours?
You've gotta think outside of the box a little. For example, some parents think that using car chargers waste the battery faster, and what if your on a plane?! Wow, that would sucketh. I'm still gonna get one if I have the money, though. I needed the DS, but I can save up for the PSP.

Lionx
03-29-2005, 01:17 AM
Yea i agree 4 hours is very little time...compared to how many hours we play RPGs on the GBA alone..this will not do. Think of the electric bills =/

Clouded Sky
03-29-2005, 02:12 AM
Hmmm. The great console wars shrunk down to handheld size...

First off, I must say, I have a DS and it's been missing a pixel since I bought it. Grr... Anyways, Nintendo definitely has the fanbase advantage here, but without much third party support, the DS increases it's chances of dying every day. I mean, I can't say I've researched, but I'm willing to say PSP has more titles out at launch than the DS has since it was released 4 months ago. The DS games out right now really don't appeal to me, and the most play time I've spent on games have been GBA games, not DS. The battery seems to be an issue, but like it was mentioned, who's gonna play for 10 hours straight. And if you're gonna play for 10 hours straight, shouldn't there be something to plug it into? I guess the biggest point is the selling price. Because it's so high though Sony should be able to lower it eventually - it's not as much in Japan as it is here. And seeing as I make $300 on a paycheck, once I deal with prom costs I should be able to focus my money towards it. The multimedia capabilities really appeal to me - plus when looked at from a memory size standpoint - the DS doesn't take memory chips. The carts on which games were made would have to be released. Memory sticks already exist, and even though they can get spendy, they'r emuch more accessible.

Tidus Andronicus
03-29-2005, 02:18 AM
Well, one thing, if you've had a dead pixel on the DS since you got it, you should send it to get replaced... Nintendo should replace or fix the unit free of charge. All you have to do is get up and do it.

crazybayman
03-29-2005, 03:26 PM
[QUOTE=omnitarian]The Game.com, Neo Geo Pocket/Color, and the Wonderswan/Color are three competitors off the top of my head.

Never ever heard of these products until now. Guess they can't be THAT competitive.

Zeldy
03-29-2005, 03:36 PM
Meh, The psp will crash and burn in my opinion. All who have challenged Nintendo at the hand held market have had their rumps handed to them on a silver platter. Mainly becuase the DS's design was extremely innovative.
I totally agree with you!!
I hate The PSP, i mean.. They dont care if the square button jams as its YOU who suffers, not them.. They've got their money now.
Wheras the DS, They sent out a batch of DS's almost all of them were faulty so they brought them back and fixed them all, so are you gonna pay all that money for a rubbish PSP??
Get a DS, they are so much better, i have one. Its fabulous Darling :love:

Maxico
03-29-2005, 03:38 PM
Im guessing they were before your time.

I used to have a game gear. Its surpisingly good for the period it came out in and now I think about it, its very similar to the PSP.

YukiKiro
03-29-2005, 07:01 PM
i just recently got a PSP, great system. i got it the second day of its reliese here in the US. i got metal gear ac!d (i don't care what anyone says, this game is a blast), need for speed underground rivals and untold legends. each game has its plusses, and except for ac!d has its quirks. the whole system is great.

Well, one thing, if you've had a dead pixel on the DS since you got it, you should send it to get replaced... Nintendo should replace or fix the unit free of charge. All you have to do is get up and do it.
dead pixel? oh, my screen has one, its a tiny white speck in the bottom left corner of my screen. its never bothered me and its not a problem. unless a piece of the screen is burned out or doesn't work i say deal with it.

Xalioniaf
03-29-2005, 11:46 PM
I used to have a game gear. Its surpisingly good for the period it came out in and now I think about it, its very similar to the PSP.
Yeah, it is pretty good, but the reason it crashed is because it guzzled batteries. Since your so close to seeing and I'm not, I forgot how many batteries it took. Was it 4 or 6? Or mabe 8 :eek: .

Lionx
03-30-2005, 12:29 AM
Yea come to think of it the original GBA was NOT backlit because they wanted to avoid battery issues...handhelds unfortunetly are only as strong as their battery techonolgies unlike consoles which does not even use batteries at all...

And no plugging in a handheld being the only way to play makes it NOT a handheld -_-;

YukiKiro
03-30-2005, 02:39 AM
Yea come to think of it the original GBA was NOT backlit because they wanted to avoid battery issues
you want to know whats funny though? the gba sp, having a front light, has one of the longest battery lifespans i've seen in a handheld with decent graphics. the rechargable battery is a plus too.

Lionx
03-30-2005, 08:58 AM
Guess they solved that problem...so the DS wont have the same probs as battery with PSP since PSP tacks on so many extra functions.

YukiKiro
03-30-2005, 12:30 PM
yeah, but it has a rechargable battery too. and since the psp battery is easily removable, a new battery can come out on the market with a greater lifespan. i liked the ideas and concepts behind the ds and all, but compile graphics, all over playability and function and the psp in my book is just that much better.