PDA

View Full Version : FF IV translation differences

Duncan
03-24-2005, 03:45 AM
I recently fired up the SNES version of of IV (FFII) and watched through the whole opening sequence, I then watched through the PS version and was suprised at how different the dialog was. The SNES version seemed much more complete, for instance, when you flashback to the Red Wings taking the crystal on the SNES version there is dialog between the Red Wings and the mages, in the PS version you just watch the Red Wings take the crystal.

Is that how it is through the whole game? I've never played through the SNES version and was wondering if the dialog continues to be that different through the whole game.

Cybele
03-24-2005, 03:49 AM
Actually, a lot of the dialogue in the playstation version corrected a lot of errors that the orginal had. They also made Rydia have a little bit more attitude. :p (especially toward the flirty Edge!) There were a few other differences, like they used less proper wording (like instead of "I do not"...they'd have "I don't") which made more sense to have certain characters used that kind of wording anyway. They altered the script around quite bit during some scenes to bring it more up to date as well as to make it make more sense.

TheAbominatrix
03-24-2005, 03:51 AM
The SNES version is horrible. They leave out many important points of the story that further flesh out the characters... really, they just screw things up. The Playstation version is far, far, FAR, closer to the original Japanese game, even down to sprite differences.

DJZen
03-24-2005, 04:09 AM
But what about all the GOOD things the SNES translation brought us?

TheAbominatrix
03-24-2005, 04:12 AM
Alas, though I love spoony bard-ness, I love it because it's horrid. It's like The Unnamable, the worst film ever made. It's wonderful because it sucks so badly.

Duncan
03-24-2005, 04:42 AM
Ok, well that's good to know. I knew they retranslated it for the PS release, but I didn't expect it to be that much different.

Sephex
03-24-2005, 06:25 AM
That wordess sequence is how it is meant to be in the first place. It makes the Red Wings look more ruthless, I guess.

liknsmak
03-24-2005, 06:26 AM
I thought that the elder/mages going YAAAAAAARGH! after dying in the FF2 opening was pointless.

Amiri
03-26-2005, 02:45 AM
*wonders how one screams after one is already dead...*