PDA

View Full Version : I never quite understood the Star Wars version of how people turn to the dark side

darkchrono
03-24-2005, 06:10 AM
I never quite understood how in Star Wars it seems alot of the bad people seemed to become evil simply by choosing to study in the dark ways of the force. I never got how you can become 'evil' just by choosing to study a particular way of thinking.

I think it would make alot more sense in understanding how those people became evil if something tramatic happened to them during their lives which would have turned them evil. Or turned them against a certain group of people. But that doesn't seem to happen in the Star Wars universe. It seems the majority of the bad guys got that way simply because they chose to study in the dark ways and nothing else.

It seems a little odd to me that they can justify on why a person is evil simply because of that.

Sephex
03-24-2005, 06:20 AM
I always thought that it is like getting addicted to drugs. For example, when someone starts to use heroin, he or she isn't a junkie right away. It takes years for that to happen.

In other words, you are slowly corrupted over time by using the Dark Side. It just happens, I guess.

strawberryman
03-24-2005, 06:21 AM
People can become evil if they want. It's easy.
I don't see how anyone can't understand it.

darkchrono
03-24-2005, 07:33 AM
The problem I see with it strawberry man is that in the movies they seem to turn into a completely different person. Turn against the people they were friends with or allies before with. They seem to lose all sense of self.

All of this not because something devastating happened to them. All of it occured just because they decided to look into a different type of religion.

I don't think that explains very well how they can virtually turn into a completely different person.

UltimaLimit
03-24-2005, 09:44 AM
The Force isn't a religion. It's a mystical force, yes, but it can be used to devastating--and very real--effect.

I agree with Sephex that the Dark Side of the Force corrupts over time.

Meat Puppet
03-24-2005, 01:30 PM
It's bad, but it feels sooo good.

Rainecloud
03-24-2005, 06:59 PM
Absolute power corrupts ... something something.

Endless
03-24-2005, 07:45 PM
"Absolutely" is the word you're looking for xD

And I second Sephex' view.
And remember Yoda's words: "If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did to Obi-Wan's apprentice."

Doomgaze
03-24-2005, 09:21 PM
As has been said, it's a result of the nature of the Force, usually not the weak wills of the people involved. The road to Hell is paved with good intentions...