PDA

View Full Version : Is there a "shortage", or something?

Nova Briar
03-24-2005, 01:39 PM
Last night I stayed up well into the wee morning hours to try to get a PS Handheld (Or whatever they're called...I think that's their official "title"), because they were officially going on sale at 12:01 am. However, when I went to purchase one, I found out that there were only 50 units available for sale. (50...for an area of about 15,000 residents. You do the math.) They had to do a raffle-style drawing to see who got to buy one, because there were a lot more than 50 of us there, and a lot of people went home unhappy. My question: Did anyone else have so much trouble buying one? And is it a deliberate "shortage" to build hype, or did they just not make enough to go around? Thanks! :D

Spammerman
03-24-2005, 01:41 PM
its psp.I tihnk its playstation portable

Super Christ
03-24-2005, 02:00 PM
I'd be willing to bet it's an artificial shortage. From the sound of it, Sony's pulling the same asshattery they did with the PS2 launch, based on what you just said. That, or the game store was just dumb and didn't order enough.

Maxico
03-24-2005, 05:05 PM
Apparantly the shortage is because they cant produce the chips fast enough. That is apparantly why they didnt have an international launch.

Dreddz
03-24-2005, 05:16 PM
geez get it off eBay
They got hundreds. Goy mine months ago and I live in the UK. Plus there region free so you can get games from all over the world and they come with all accesories.
Been ignoring it for some time now. Probably because I got so frustrated with Metal Gear Acid which is terrible so dont buy it!

Erdrick Holmes
03-24-2005, 06:00 PM
See, this is why I dislike sony. They treat their customers like crap. They shorten their supply of new consoles so only people who camp in front of the stores get them, thern they only allow "Good graphics" games. I was surprized to see the PSP get a Darkstalkers 2D fighting game.

Sephex
03-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Yeah, they are doing this on purpose. I saw this coming when the PSP was first announced.

Erdrick Holmes
03-24-2005, 06:10 PM
*Hugs his XBox*

You won't betray me, will you?

Dreddz
03-24-2005, 06:41 PM
*hugs PS2*
*hisses at Xbox*

Erdrick Holmes
03-24-2005, 06:55 PM
You PS2 fans are running out of good games for the PS2. I think the next good game for it is the PS Trilogy or PSU.

MecaKane
03-24-2005, 07:28 PM
Yah, considering new Splinter Cell and Dynasty Warrior games are coming out next week. I'll say you're right, Joel!

Maxico
03-24-2005, 07:40 PM
Well at least they have an excuse. Not only did nintendo have the strictest quality control I've ever heard of on the N64 they held back the GBA for around a year to milk the pokemon franchise.

*Hugs both is PS2 and Xbox*

Dreddz
03-24-2005, 07:42 PM
You PS2 fans are running out of good games for the PS2. I think the next good game for it is the PS Trilogy or PSU.

the PS2 isnt running out of game ideas. Have you seen the line up for the new games coming out. I mean come on. At least the PS2 dosent mooch off other games for different consoles unlike the Xbox

Sephex
03-24-2005, 08:35 PM
*doesn't show bias towards any company because he is a real gamer*

Dreddz
03-24-2005, 08:56 PM
who are you talking about?

Erdrick Holmes
03-24-2005, 09:16 PM
PS2 doesn't mooch. It's nazilike approach towards 2D games makes me sick. It won't have anymore. XBox will gladly take them. The only way PS2 will ever accept 2D games is if you put more then one game on a disc, make the price really low, and make that multigame disc avaialbe in the US only.

Dreddz
03-24-2005, 09:41 PM
PS and PS2 have the majority of the 2D fighters and are the king of the 2D fighters. While Xbox's only decent one is Guilty Gear. Plus the chunky controllers make it difficult to actually play them ( or rather anything ) PS2 are the best for 2D fighter and baiscally everything

Dreddz
03-24-2005, 09:46 PM
oh didnt read the post right.
The reason why maybe some PS2 gamers dislike 2D fighters cause they have had so many and dont want to fork out £40 or $60 sumin in the states because most of them are the same. But most Xbox players havent really played 2D fighters so there a new gaming experience.
But 2D fighters dont make a console better. There other genres which are good. I mean have you played GT4 yet

Erdrick Holmes
03-24-2005, 09:53 PM

Maybe if Sony bothered to.. Oh I don't know... PROMOTE them? Sony dumps all of the 2D games, it only hurts them, they lose millions in Ryoalties from companies like Capcom, Sammy/Sega, SNK, and Midway. American gaming companies think that realistic graphics make good games, so they shun a majority of 2D ones. XBox will gladly take a 2D fighter if Sony is the Hitler of 2D games. Hell, not only will they gladly take them they'll give them all online play and easier controls. Also, playing 2D fighters on a standard PS2 controller sucks, the way the D-pad is set is just not right.

The only reasons I'm not concidering selling my PS2 to a gameshop is for Phantasy Star Universe and Phantasy Star Trilogy. Trilogy does however use 2D graphics, but when they released them in Japan it was three games released seperatly on three seperate discs, SCEA will laoow it only if the US versions are on all one disc and sold for a lower price then usual. That was how KoF 2000/2001 and KoF 2002/2003, dual games on one disc with extras sold at like 20 dollars.

In the end I say... screw you Sony.

Sephex
03-24-2005, 10:09 PM
who are you talking about?

I was just screwing around. That commment was directed at anyone. It's just my way of saying how I think "rooting" for a company while wishing "death" on others is childish.

Dixie
03-24-2005, 10:09 PM
*doesn't show bias towards any company because he is a real gamer*s

MecaKane
03-24-2005, 10:55 PM
The only reasons I'm not concidering selling my PS2 to a gameshop is for Phantasy Star Universe and Phantasy Star Trilogy. Trilogy does however use 2D graphics, but when they released them in Japan it was three games released seperatly on three seperate discs, SCEA will laoow it only if the US versions are on all one disc and sold for a lower price then usual. That was how KoF 2000/2001 and KoF 2002/2003, dual games on one disc with extras sold at like 20 dollars.

THOSE BASTARDS
How DARE they offer us more for our money. Mother fucking http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifS. They should charge us $50 each for old games with dated graphics and technology, not bundle them together, to in the end sell more copies!

Erdrick Holmes
03-24-2005, 11:00 PM
If they don't bundle them and/or make them cheap then they won't accept them. It hurts the company that makes it too. It uses alot of time and effort to make all of the sprites and animate them properly. This is one of the reasons why SNK went into bankruptcy about a few years ago.

Maxico
03-24-2005, 11:00 PM
That commment was directed at anyone. It's just my way of saying how I think "rooting" for a company while wishing "death" on others is childish.

I dont think anybody is wishing "death" on anything else. I dont really care if a souless company in Japan or america has a slightly lower annual income that it had the previous year. And I cant remember what the topic of this thead was...

MecaKane
03-24-2005, 11:40 PM
If they don't bundle them and/or make them cheap then they won't accept them. It hurts the company that makes it too. It uses alot of time and effort to make all of the sprites and animate them properly. This is one of the reasons why SNK went into bankruptcy about a few years ago.
Really? I thought it was because they made crap games no one bought.

And let me tell you something, Sony wants to make money as much as anyone else, if they thought they could make money from selling crappy 2D games, they would. But having flops hurts them too, reputation wise.

Erdrick Holmes
03-24-2005, 11:47 PM
Was Zelda a 2D game? Was Street Fighter II a 2D game? Were most of the Mega Man games 2D? They were 2D and they sold great. Sony of America just thinks good graphics seels games. 2D games can play very well, sometimes better then 3D games.

Raistlin
03-24-2005, 11:54 PM
Joel - they sold great when thpse kind of games were the status quo. Release a new Zelda game with the same graphics used in the older ones, and it won't bring is much money. It's a basic marketing strategy - only accept games that will bring you money.

Sony doesn't have an "anti-2D" policy. They have an "anti-games-that-they-feel-won't-bring-in-much-marketing" policy, just like every other console.

MecaKane
03-24-2005, 11:55 PM
Those games are 10 years old, genius. 2D games don't sell as much NOW, because people don't want to spend $150 on a system in 2005 to play games with 1995 grahpics.
Good graphics DO sell games, Eyes on Final Fantasy Forums does't accuratly depict the entire video game market, no matter how much you wish everyone was like you and me and that guy.

Erdrick Holmes
03-24-2005, 11:57 PM
Not every other console. Xbox is allowing almost all of the KOF games and SVC chaos, and Guilty Gear X2 #Reload. 2D games will actually sell great if Sony actually gives them publicity, you know, put a few ad spaces in magazines that AREN'T taken up by Final Fantasy game ads.

MecaKane
03-25-2005, 12:03 AM
I'm sure it's not Sony's resposability to advertise for every game that comes out on one of it's systems, whoever makes the games do, otherwise you wouldn't see ads for multiplatform games, ever.
Xbox picked up those games probably because it can be the only place for them. Xbox has a much better reputation for great graphics, too, so they don't need to worry about many people thinking that's all they can do.

Raistlin
03-25-2005, 12:06 AM
Not every other console. Xbox is allowing almost all of the KOF games and SVC chaos, and Guilty Gear X2 #Reload. 2D games will actually sell great if Sony actually gives them publicity, you know, put a few ad spaces in magazines that AREN'T taken up by Final Fantasy game ads.
XBox has billions and billions of dollars to waste on everything. They're just trying to by whatever they can, with little or no thought involved.

Lionx
03-25-2005, 06:55 AM
Man you guys..

PSP shortage? Doesnt surprise me :x

PS2/Sony has a huge developer's market going for them, every developer wants to develop for them because of the license and the potential customers the console brings. Should anyone buy more Xbox and GC games, more developers will go to those too. Sony IMO isnt a great company as most of their titles that they made themselves arent really that great for the most part. They just got more 3rd party developers.

GC has suffered because of their setback from N64, and because of the lack of developers willing to work with them. Its not that Nintendo is a bad company for the lack of games...but its because no one is willing to work with them for their buisness practices(sometimes). Some people say Nintendo's ways are old and overused, and sometimes its true, but would we say that if FFXI or Xenosaga or more great titles went on the GC? No it would be a non-issue if Nintendo's ways are a bit old as long as they are producing top quality games made from 3rd party developers...so far all i see is that, the more people interested developing games for you, the better you are off...Nintendo, unfortunetly doesnt have much interest in the gaming sector these days and therefore GC has not(and probably will not) reach its maximum potential due to non-interest. Nintendo however still makes best first party games the best out of all companies and support multiplayer aspects of a console in which are offline the best. <3

Xbox is about the same, they started off with bad footing, but they gained alot of experience now. If anything, their online gaming sector is among the strongest. They have the know-how on how to deal with things like that. And i am sure their online gaming section for the Xbox2 will be plenty huge.

Conclusion: Buy the console that fits your need the most...and Sony is evil to not make enough chips...purposefully or not...should have been expected...

Dreddz
03-25-2005, 08:49 AM
XBox has billions and billions of dollars to waste on everything. They're just trying to by whatever they can, with little or no thought involved.

thats very true.
Xbox dosent really know anything about gamers so they just get everything. Sony know there stuff because the majority of 2D fanboys is very small. Only really consisting of older gamers who like a blast from the past. So not alot of people are going to buy the 2D games. But newer gamers such as Tekken or GT have a much larger audience so will sell much more. Micosoft are very new to the console game market while Sony has been in this buisness alot longer and have much more knowlage than any other games company

Krelbel
03-25-2005, 10:27 AM
Nippon Ichi says Joel's wrong ;[

or at least it says that two or three examples does not a trend make.

Lionx
03-25-2005, 09:51 PM
Sony is not newer to the gaming market than Nintendo or Sega gibbi >_>

If you think Sony doesnt have billions of dollars too then you must be joking...

Dreddz
03-25-2005, 10:04 PM
i was actually just referrring it to the Xbox which is new.
Sony has billions but has the common sense that a 2D fighter wont sell as well as a 3D one

Lionx
03-26-2005, 12:03 AM
Lol who thinks that? I dont play 3-D fighters, it doesnt appeal to me. There are a huge generation of 2-D fighting fans still and PS hasnt really did that well with it. 3-D sucks...imo anyway. Tekken is not my thing.

Daggers64
03-26-2005, 05:04 AM
O_o Shortage? Ain't not PSP shortage!
I know guys that work at Target and Best Buy in Chicago... and both stores got in 50 some units... and have only sold around 10-15 at each store in the past 2 days... I honestly would have expected more preorders... but even the gamestop down the street has like 15 units still in... the guy at the counter even asked me if I wanted to buy one. XD

I don't blame people for not buying it... at least not while its $250...

I want one.... but not until Sony gets its act together... and certainly not until the price drops dramatically!!

Dreddz
03-26-2005, 08:41 AM
Lol who thinks that? I dont play 3-D fighters, it doesnt appeal to me. There are a huge generation of 2-D fighting fans still and PS hasnt really did that well with it. 3-D sucks...imo anyway. Tekken is not my thing.

Trust me, there are more younger gamers who wont be brought in by 2D games. The older generation of gamers will buy them but there are alot more younger gamers than older gamers ya know. Dont say im wrong cause im right

Sephex
03-26-2005, 09:44 AM
Trust me, there are more younger gamers who wont be brought in by 2D games. The older generation of gamers will buy them but there are alot more younger gamers than older gamers ya know. Dont say im wrong cause im right

Source?

Dreddz
03-26-2005, 10:35 AM
Its just common sense. Im 14 and still go to school and none of the people in my year talk about say Street Fighter. I luv 2D fighters but im different. Places like HMV you have to look really hard to find them. There never in the Charts because not alot of people buy them.

Lionx
03-27-2005, 02:15 AM
Your 'i know i am right without any proof' really isnt going to help anything you say on here...

Theres no proof absolutely about the 3-D stuff, i mean just because your part of the place prefers 3-D doesnt mean everywhere will. To be frank, even if its true, its just because its easier to do combos and stuff there. You have no idea how much 2-D fans there are around my place.

Dreddz
03-27-2005, 08:08 AM
OK its seems ive not got it right. Im not sure about the States but over here in the UK a 2D game aint bin in the Charts in years. If they have they went out in about a week

Zell's Fists of Fury
03-27-2005, 08:38 AM
Isn't this thread about PSP?
I mean I could be wrong but...

Dreddz
03-27-2005, 09:28 AM
No your right we accidentially changed the topic :S