PDA

View Full Version : Which character is better?

Alder
03-25-2005, 10:43 PM
These are two generic characters I have right now... I'm going to post their setups and stats, and I want to know which you think is better. I'm asking because I'm not really sure and I can't decide who to use.

#1.
Zelig, lv. 99 Monk
97 Brave
475 HP
25 PA
13 speed

Punch Art
Battle Skill
Blade Grasp
Attack Up
Move +3

Power Sleeve
Bracer

He's got Battle Skill because I didn't really have anything else to put on him, and he's mastered that. Punch Art does pretty much everything, but Battle Skill is nice if I ever want to disable an enemy instead of just kill it. His regular attack does 999 damage on many targets.

#2.
Glen, lv. 99 Ninja
97 Brave
333 HP
25 PA
14 speed

Throw
Punch Art
Blade Grasp
Martial Arts
Move +3

Twist Headband
Power Sleeve
Bracer

This guy is faster and more mobile. His attacks do 500-600 each usually, so with two attacks, that's more than the Monk. His Punch moves aren't as effective as the Monk, but they are useful. Having Throw with a movement range of 7 is nice, too.

I use them both and I can't really decide who is more effective.

Despotus
03-26-2005, 12:38 AM
Both sound nice to me. I still have 4 generic units in each of my parties. :)

One tip I would suggest for you: You could give that Monk of yours "Two Swords" ability instead of "Attack Up". This would accomplish two things: Firstly, he, too, would have two punches on each enemy; and the combined damage of both hits would probably be over 999. :D Secondly, since you gave him 'Battle Skill' as a secondary ability, he would also hit each enemy twice with that. :laugh: "Speed -2... Speed -2!" (Especially handy in case you miss with one of the attacks)
With "2 Swords", I think the Monk would be the better of the two.

Alder
03-26-2005, 01:41 AM
Both sound nice to me. I still have 4 generic units in each of my parties. :)

One tip I would suggest for you: You could give that Monk of yours "Two Swords" ability instead of "Attack Up". This would accomplish two things: Firstly, he, too, would have two punches on each enemy; and the combined damage of both hits would probably be over 999. :D Secondly, since you gave him 'Battle Skill' as a secondary ability, he would also hit each enemy twice with that. :laugh: "Speed -2... Speed -2!" (Especially handy in case you miss with one of the attacks)
With "2 Swords", I think the Monk would be the better of the two.

True. I've been using Attack Up because, if I understand how it works correctly, Attack Up boosts the damage of the Punch Art skills, as well as the regular attack. But Two Swords would definitely make Battle Skill more useful. I don't really use the Battle Skill often, though.

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-26-2005, 01:57 AM
What's your Monk's Faith and MA? If you don't use the Battle Skills that much, I'd swap it for something else you find more useful.

Despotus
03-26-2005, 04:39 AM
What's your Monk's Faith and MA? If you don't use the Battle Skills that much, I'd swap it for something else you find more useful.
Maybe 'Jump' or 'Draw Out'?

Loki
03-26-2005, 05:07 AM
My advice is clone excalibur. change him to squire give him two swords give him good armor and put teleport on him. thats how ramza is oon my game he has 100 brave and level 80 something and hes powerful

dodhungry
03-26-2005, 06:04 AM
Use them both. Cause you never know when the other might die one day. And you could easily save over the file and be some sol.

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-26-2005, 07:16 AM
I was going to suggest Draw Out myself, Draw Out can be quite effective with the right stats.

Alder
03-26-2005, 07:20 AM
Draw Out is awesome, but the Monk has like 8 MA... it wouldn't be very effective.

Really, I don't know what would be more useful in the secondary slot... something magic based would be too weak. And Punch Art covers everything physical based.

Maybe Jump... but I don't know that I'd use that very much either.

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-26-2005, 08:05 AM
Jump might be a better bet if you want to hit someone further away than your Punch Art allows for. The problem with most of the good secondary skills is that they require good MA to be of any use. You might want to give him the ability to steal, as you can acquire some good items that way.

BG-57
03-26-2005, 03:44 PM
This is for much later in the game, but eventually it's a good idea to master Calculator with both generics. It sucks as a primary job, but Math Skills are the best secondary skill to have, IMHO. :)

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-26-2005, 06:19 PM
The character's already level 99 so mastering Calculator probably could be effective, if only for the spells that give you bonuses. With the pitiful MA you have the attack spells probably aren't really worth it.

RedCydranth
03-26-2005, 07:00 PM
I agree, Making the Monk's secondary skill 'Math Skill' and having that job mastered will make him an awesome unit. If you get him to learn all the calculatable Time and Oracle skills he'll be pretty decent. Since all of your units are Lv. 99 and prolly 99 exp, Exp 3 is the safest bet to calculate Haste on your party. Thats a nice edge to have starting a battle off. Or if you find a common thread in your enemies you can try to stop them or Dont Act them. Thats always fun.

BG-57
03-27-2005, 01:37 PM
Wouldn't the Mediator skill Preach raise MA as it raises Faith?

EDGE
04-01-2005, 03:14 PM
edit by eest: if you have nothing to add, please don't post. :D

Masamune·1600
04-03-2005, 05:28 AM
Wouldn't the Mediator skill Preach raise MA as it raises Faith?

No. Preach raises Faith exclusively.

RedCydranth
04-03-2005, 07:10 PM
Right, But lets take 2 Black mages of the same Zodiac sign. level and MA on the same battlfield.

Black mage 1 has 70 Faith and Black mage 2 has 40 Faith. BM 1 will do more magic damage because his faith is higher. If you take a mediator and raise BM 2's faith to 80 BM 2's magic will be more potent.

darkblade117
04-03-2005, 08:27 PM
and this means that BM 2 will be hurt more than BM 1 when magically attacked

Masamune·1600
04-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Right, But lets take 2 Black mages of the same Zodiac sign. level and MA on the same battlfield.

Black mage 1 has 70 Faith and Black mage 2 has 40 Faith. BM 1 will do more magic damage because his faith is higher. If you take a mediator and raise BM 2's faith to 80 BM 2's magic will be more potent.

Yes, but the question was not whether Faith increases magic damage. It was whether Preach raises the MA statistic.

Koryiaki
04-16-2005, 07:29 PM
My advice is clone excalibur. change him to squire give him two swords give him good armor and put teleport on him. thats how ramza is oon my game he has 100 brave and level 80 something and hes powerful
move+3 is better then teleport as a squire, cuz your GUARENTEED 7 movement panels that way, better then a risk at 5 or more, and id go with the 2 hit monk, and for second ability, possibly guts for accumulate to increase his damage when he has nothing better to do. As for me, Im doing 3 games, one with ALL generics, one with ALL monsters, and one with NO generics. But yah, dont go with teleport when you can just (only for males) get move+3.

The character's already level 99 so mastering Calculator probably could be effective, if only for the spells that give you bonuses. With the pitiful MA you have the attack spells probably aren't really worth it.
hes level 99, common thread on random encounters would be 96 to 99 lol, so theres a 50% chance they will share it with him

EDIT: Please use the edit button instead of double posting. -Murder