PDA

View Full Version : Phantasy Star Trilogy

Erdrick Holmes
03-27-2005, 05:09 AM
Anybody getting this? It hits US Store shevles on May 1st. It contains Phantasy Star I,II, and IV on one DVD for PS2 for a mere twenty dollars. I am so getting this.

Ryth
03-27-2005, 05:17 AM
Whoa whoa whoa wait you get all four games in the Phantasy Star series the great Sega RPGs that lead up to PSO the first online game ever in all its 2D nostalgic goodness all on one convienant DVD for $20? I'll be damned if I don't get this package!

Erdrick Holmes
03-27-2005, 05:21 AM
Nah, I'll pass on all four games. Concidering how godaweful PSIII was.

Super Christ
03-27-2005, 01:39 PM
It's only got I, II, and IV. No need to include III.

I'll definitely be getting it. So it's honest to god, actually coming out May 1st? For real this time?

ughhis
03-27-2005, 02:34 PM
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/519/519352p1.html

"Just like the Classics Collection, Phantasy Star Trilogy will boast improved graphics, enhanced soundtracks, and additional features not present in the original versions of the games." :(

Ugh...

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-27-2005, 02:40 PM
Nothing wrong with that, and you can't seriously expect such ancient games to be released on a present-generation console without being altered and upgraded anyway. If you want them in their original forms, get the original cartridges, emulate them, or get Phantasy Star Collection (http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbadvance/data/560435.html).

Dreddz
03-27-2005, 02:52 PM
What system is it on ?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-27-2005, 02:58 PM
for PS2
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/519/519352p1.html

Dreddz
03-27-2005, 04:12 PM
yay I can get it. But im not a massive Phatasy Star fan

ughhis
03-27-2005, 05:43 PM
No, but I can always hope, I hope. :)
I'll probably get both collections; didn't know there was another one. Thanks for that. You're too nice.

lordblazer
03-27-2005, 06:12 PM
Anybody getting this? It hits US Store shevles on May 1st. It contains Phantasy Star I,II, and IV on one DVD for PS2 for a mere twenty dollars. I am so getting this.
It'll be out on xbox..Trust me ;)

Craig
03-27-2005, 06:14 PM
I'll probably get it.

One question though, why don't people like III? I haven't played it (nor I, II or IV) but I have a friend who's only played III and he likes it.

Erdrick Holmes
03-27-2005, 06:17 PM
It'll be out on xbox..Trust me ;)

I highly doubt it, conciderin Sony would only allow it only if it was on one disc, a low price and a PS2 exclusive in north america.

EDIT: They didn't include III because it was terrible and stray too far from the PS storyline. It took place years after PSIV.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-27-2005, 06:25 PM
I'll probably get both collections; didn't know there was another one. Thanks for that. You're too nice.Just so you know, Phantasy Star Collection for the GBA only includes PSI, PSII, and PSIII. As far as I know, the only time all four games were ever put together was for Phantasy Star Collection (yeah, same name) for the Sega Saturn in 1998, and it was only released in Japan.

Erdrick Holmes
03-27-2005, 07:19 PM
Japan gets all of the cool stuff, the the Saturn was bruitally underrated and ignored in the states.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-27-2005, 07:21 PM
Sega's own fault, really.

Erdrick Holmes
03-27-2005, 07:23 PM
Wasn't the saturrn released about a year ahead of the PS1?

ughhis
03-27-2005, 07:25 PM
Then getting both collections sounds perfect, as I don't own a Saturn-thingie and live in Sweden.
Just hoping they're fun. :) Do you, Ryűkishi, like them?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-27-2005, 07:56 PM
Wasn't the saturrn released about a year ahead of the PS1?In Japan, the Saturn was released on November 22nd, 1994, and the PlayStation was released on December 2nd, 1994. In America, the PlayStation was released on September 9th, 1995, and the Saturn was SUPPOSED to be released on Sepetember 2nd. However, Sega of America was afraid of the competition of releasing their machine in the same week as Sony's. So, instead of building up the hype for their product, they decided a surprise launch would be a good idea, so they released it on May 11th instead. Four months ahead of time. Without advertising it at all.

Then there was the fact that the Saturn was originally designed to make really great 2D games, but the guys making it realized at the last second that people were mostly going to want really great 3D games, so they basically just slapped a 3D processor in there right beside the 2D processor. The result was that the two separate processors couldn't work in tandem or access data at the same time, making the Saturn so hard to develop games for that a lot of developers just didn't want to bother.

Then there was the fact that Sega had just recently screwed its customers over with the 32X, which was prettymuch entirely a waste of time due to its lack of games and how close it was to the Saturn release; Sega went right on to focus on their new machine while leaving 32X owners with arguably one worthwhile game. The whole thing damaged Sega's credibility in a way it never really recovered from.

And again, Sega of America seriously dropped the ball when it came to advertising, not to mention the extent to which they kept a lot of the Saturn's better titles from ever getting out of Japan. They were even worse than Sony when it came to the "if it's not 3D, it's not coming to America" principle.

Poor bastards.

Dreddz
03-27-2005, 09:41 PM
The saturn was rubbish in my epinion