PDA

View Full Version : Impressed by England

tomamar04
03-27-2005, 07:36 AM
I thought that England's performance agianst Northern Ireland yesterday was the best in a LONG time.

I know Northern Ireland aren't exactly world beaters, but we passed the ball well, Terry, Joe Cole and Rooney were extremly impressive, Neville and Ashley Cole got forward well, Ferdinand and Terry never looked troubled at the back.

I thought Gerrard and Owen were poor though, Gerrard normally is for England, but it can't all be perfect.

Anyone agree.

FallenSilence
03-27-2005, 09:18 AM
We did play pretty well, although I can't believe that Lampard hit the crossbar. Should have been 5-0.

boris no no
03-27-2005, 12:17 PM
apparently michael jackson was wearing an england brotch that day!

Rainecloud
03-27-2005, 02:51 PM
We did play pretty well, although I can't believe that Lampard hit the crossbar. Should have been 5-0.

Cz
03-27-2005, 09:12 PM
While we obviously expected to beat Northern Ireland, it was a refreshing change to do so comfortably, and with a good performance to boot.

Joe Cole's performance was rather impressive, and between him and Downing I'd say we've got a fairly strong left side, at the moment. I do wonder what Jose Mourinho is gonig to do with Cole when he gets his entire squad back, though. I'd hate to have to drop one of that lot.

Doc Sark
03-29-2005, 10:34 AM
I didn't think the performance was anything special. It was what I would have expected from an England side vastly stronger than Northern Ireland. I disagree about Gerrard and Owen being poor aswell. Gerrard is deliberately subdued for England in order to let Lampard get forward. He has to sit in the holding midfielder role which he did with absolutely no problems. While it wasn't an electrifying performance from him, it was professional. And to say he never plays well for England, rubbish.

I also thought Michael Owen played well, he had two great chances, and scored one. He was getting in positions, drawing defenders away and creating gaps in the N.I defensive line. Again, he wasn't at his best, but one glaring miss aside, he played a solid game.

It was refreshing however to see Joe Cole play football for a change at International level. He was absolutely brilliant for most of the game and his goal was superbly taken. It just goes to show that you don't need a naturally left footed player out on the left wing to get a job done. Look at Portugal. I imagine he will stay in the side now.

tomamar04
03-29-2005, 02:25 PM
What I found funny is that after the match, the media were saying that England were going to win the world cup, and Eriksson is the person to do it.

Wasn't it a month ago the media was saying he should step down from the managers job?

Shoden
03-29-2005, 06:13 PM
im going to see England V Azberjan tomorrow just hope they have a performance as good as that

Psychotic
03-29-2005, 06:22 PM
What I found funny is that after the match, the media were saying that England were going to win the world cup, and Eriksson is the person to do it.

Wasn't it a month ago the media was saying he should step down from the managers job?That's the English media for you.

Shoden
03-30-2005, 10:46 PM
common England 2-0

but was the performance any good?

we had Possesion through most of the 1st half but we had sloopyness from Rooney and Owen.

i'm talking bout the Azerbaijan match

1st half we played badly untill the last 10 mins 2nd half brilliant starter from Gerrard

tomamar04
03-31-2005, 07:42 AM
Owen will NEVER have so many chances and never score, he should have easily got a hat-trick.

It was a good all round performance, we're almost guaranteed quailification now, with the best runners up also automatically qualifiying.

Beckham, Joe Cole, Gerrard and Rooney were our best players, in my opinion.

Heath
03-31-2005, 09:42 AM
I'm happy with a win. I don't really care if it's 8-0 or 1-0 because we're sitting comfortably at the top, and goal difference isn't really an issue. Sure, if we slip up and Poland gain on that, then yes, it would become an issue, but as long as we can carry up this form, there shouldn't be any problems.

(Hahaha, I just noticed how I refer to the England team as 'we')

But yes, the British tabloids in particular are hard on the England manager with the shifting opinions. It's hardly a job I'd want.

NM
03-31-2005, 09:47 AM
I'd say the performace was average against Azerbaijan. Owen was guilty of missing some great chances, (thats what happens when you warm the Real Madrid bench all season) but then so were other's. Lampard should of had a couple, as should Rooney. Some of the defending was lack luster at time's as well. Azerbaijan had two very good opportunity's to score.

But we got the result in the end which is what matters.

Shoden
03-31-2005, 01:08 PM
that Ref was blind as a bat that Azerbaijany Goalie punched Owen and got away with it.

but Beckham's goal was amazing you just didn't know where he got it from

Rooney was a flop he was sloppy with his control and passing but he was excellent at his shooting but had bad accuracy

heres one

Rooney=Shrek

they look so alike

Nod
03-31-2005, 02:12 PM
i was unimpressed with owens performance last night. Also beckham played well, and yes, he can certainly get good crosses in, but when our two strikers are short it means they will probably get beaten by any defender worth their salt who is tall.
A good performance by England in my mind cos its always gonna be hard to score when the other team have 9? players behind the ball in their half!
The best part was watching the Azerbaijan keeper, what a tool :p

Shoden
03-31-2005, 02:56 PM
thats the same guy who get let off for punching Owen

boris no no
03-31-2005, 03:05 PM
i was in a pub last night....i seem to remember us all cheering and stuff!
and booing.....i don't remember it all.....

Shoden
03-31-2005, 03:42 PM
I was at the match apart from freezing my arse off it was excellent i was still waiting for my snacks in the private bar when gerrard scored but i witnessed Beckham scoring