PDA

View Full Version : Why is it that Final Fantasy IX is getting the least attention?

kawaiileena
03-27-2005, 01:41 PM
Sorry to butt in people, but I want to ask for your opinions.

Actually, there is one thing that is making me sort of... err... irritated. It's about the fact that Final Fantasy IX is a great Final Fantasy game, but always get the least attention!!!! :mad2:

Well, I've been visiting some sites, and this is what I noticed. Final Fantasy IX always gets the least attention when it comes to reviews, previews and fanfics (www.fanfiction.net)!!!

Why is it that way? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Chris
03-27-2005, 02:12 PM
Hi I'm from the Philippines as well!!!! :love:

Anyways, to answer your question: I really don't know!?
Come to think of it, why don't people like it as much as FFVII and
FFVIII!?

... I thought it was swell...

boris no no
03-27-2005, 02:25 PM
i understand, it really does suck!
FFIX is my fav. i love it soooooooooooo much! :love:
FFVII and VIII get more coverage because they were the first two to REALLY go mainstream. and FFX-XII are the newer ones. unfrotunatly IX is kinda stuck in the middle.
i love it though! :love:

kawaiileena
03-27-2005, 02:26 PM
Woah, you're from the Philippines, too? Really? Cool! :D :D :D

Anyways, thanks for answering! But you're right! Why can't they like it and give it the same attention like the other FF? It's sooo unfair! It's as if they're taking it for granted...

Argh, why can't they just see that it's a great game like any other....?

i understand, it really does suck!
FFIX is my fav. i love it soooooooooooo much! :love:
FFVII and VIII get more coverage because they were the first two to REALLY go mainstream. and FFX-XII are the newer ones. unfrotunatly IX is kinda stuck in the middle.
i love it though! :love:

Yap, you're right! FFVII and VIII always gets the most attention, the most reviews and previews, and the most fanfics. It suck! Grrrr...

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-27-2005, 02:48 PM
If nothing else, FFVII and FFVIII have sex appeal going for them. FFIX has nothing to offer in that regard. Square certainly gave it a shot with Beatrix's huge rack, but there's no getting around the fact that everyone in the game looks like a deformed eight-year-old.

Chris
03-27-2005, 02:51 PM
If nothing else, FFVII and FFVIII have sex appeal going for them. FFIX has nothing to offer in that regard. Square certainly gave it a shot with Beatrix's huge rack, but there's no getting around the fact that everyone in the game looks like a deformed eight-year-old.

Lol, that's true.
Although I did find Quina strangely attractive... :(

kawaiileena
03-27-2005, 02:53 PM

Well, maybe you have a point about the 'sex appeal' but what about Garnet? Isn't she hot, too like Rinoa or Tifa or Aeris or Yuffie or Selphie or whatever? And what about Zidane? He's like, hot (except for the tail, though!) like Cloud and Squall!

Anyways... you DO have a point..... :) :) :)

boris no no
03-27-2005, 02:54 PM
what about Lani?? :love:
plus that the main characters were really young! zidane and garnet are 16. :eek: which i think is a little too young really.

TurkSlayer
03-27-2005, 03:18 PM
FVII and MAYBE FFX deserve the attention for being great games. 8 doesn't deserve any at all. Its the second worst FF (Beaten, of course, by FFV) I truely do love this game. But your right, it has no sex appeal, and its more for the old schooler because its more medieval than previous titles. Of course, I think FFT is really the one that gets the least attention.

Maya
03-27-2005, 03:29 PM
Well in my country you can´t get that game anywhere as new and used ones cost too much.
When I started to look that game I asked some game shops and netshops but none of them had new ones.
So I tried used ones, but game shops didn´t have those either and same in netshops. I finally found some in auction in net and I got it. It is used,but works. It´s all that matters.
In that auction site ff9 game is sooooo wanted game that you must pay atleast 30€ of it and it´s of course used one.
So in my country that game is very valued and wanted. Those games aren´t that long in sale and they go very fast in high prices.
But it´s quite interesting that it´s not noticed that much. Though many people say that it´s one of the best ff-games ever. :)

Zerlina
03-27-2005, 05:09 PM
Until I read his biography, I always thought Zidane was at least 22. And Garnet seems to be about 18 or 19 even though she's 16

Craig
03-27-2005, 06:35 PM
VII and VIII have all the materials for slobbering fanboys/girls.

Spikey Hair, Big Swords, Teen Angst, Moody Characters, I could go on.

Lon611
03-27-2005, 06:46 PM
ffvii will always get coverage for being such a great game, plus it revolutionized everything and brought ff mainstream. ffviii will always get coverage because ppl will always be complaining about it. ffx will always get the coverage because, like ffvii, is a great game and helped bring ff even more into the mainstream. plus, from my experience, it's one of those games where u either love it or hate it, and to be indifferent is rare. but i feel ffix gets left in the dust because it was 'just' a game. it didn't make headlines. all it did was provide us with a good game, nothing more, nothing less. i personally enjoyed it a lot :D

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-27-2005, 07:02 PM
Actually, to a lot of people, FFIX was an extremely big deal. FFVIII made it look like Square had completely lost track of what it was supposed to be doing, and FFIX let us know that they realized we were concerned and wanted to let us know that they still care about their roots. It was basically a love letter to all the fans of the older games in the series. If FFIX had been another game like FFVIII, or even a game like FFX, Square would have lost a ton of fans.

Itsunari 2000
03-27-2005, 10:42 PM
Two words ...

FFIX ROCKS.

Lon611
03-27-2005, 11:10 PM
Actually, to a lot of people, FFIX was an extremely big deal. FFVIII made it look like Square had completely lost track of what it was supposed to be doing, and FFIX let us know that they realized we were concerned and wanted to let us know that they still care about their roots. It was basically a love letter to all the fans of the older games in the series. If FFIX had been another game like FFVIII, or even a game like FFX, Square would have lost a ton of fans.

good point. but there was no controversy behind it. most ppl believe that it was a good or great game, and few dislike it. there's not much to argue about. with ffvii and ffx, there's an equillibrium of fans taht like and dislike each. thats why i feel those games get more coverage.

plus another reason mite be because the aesthetic didn't really suit the ppl that joined ff during the time of ffvii and ffviii, because it wasn't a sci-fi rpg. but i think square made the best move by making ffix what it is

Trumpet Thief
03-27-2005, 11:21 PM
chaos: FFIX getting the least attention? What about FFII? :p

Drinkinlinkin
03-28-2005, 01:04 AM
As long as you know its a great game and you like it does it really matter? Personally I like FF8 the most a lot of ppl agree alotta ppl disagree? Who cares?

BorIzEE27
03-28-2005, 01:38 AM
I think it was becaue it didn't bring anything new to the table. Like it says at the back of the box, "... FFIX takes the best of the old and mixes it with the best of the new." The characters are also a major turn off to some people, they seem too kiddish.

P.S any one know how to beat Necron? I'm stuck.

TurkSlayer
03-28-2005, 02:45 AM
In reply to help with Necron: Have your characters at ATLEAST lv. 60 and have a lot of remedies or status effect cures like Eye Drops.

Zerlina
03-28-2005, 04:43 AM
Even the mid 50s is fine. The trick is to have Auto Regen, Auto Potion etc...

XxSephirothxX
03-28-2005, 05:09 AM
FFIX is hands-down my favorite. I love Fantasy, and IX puts the "Fantasy" back in FF after VIII completely shot it to pieces. The personality in the game is incredible, the writing is awesome, the story, though a bit predictable, is still probably my favorite...and I really did enjoy the battle system. FFIX is my second favorite game...ever.

Zerlina
03-28-2005, 05:47 AM
I think that the predictableness had to do a lot with the fact that it was inter-woven with the fairy tale genre crossed with legend (which is, in itself, fairly predictable)

Sephex
03-28-2005, 05:53 AM
Kishi pretty much said what I was going to say (as usual). FFIX was great!

kawaiileena
03-30-2005, 09:22 AM
Well... it is true that the story is predictable... like you know what will happen next... but the story is still heart-stealing!!!

eestlinc
03-30-2005, 03:37 PM
less attention compared to what? Many of the pre-PSX FF games get a lot less attention than FF9. Good game, though.

GibsonGoth131
03-30-2005, 03:39 PM
It makes sence FFIX wasn't popular... although it is one of my favorite video games to date! It's just that with FFVII and FFVIII people started to join the bandwaggon, with FFIX square went back to what they started out with... with what most people (esp in the US) didn't care for. So it's basically because people are so stupid and don't give things that are different enough of a chance

**ShadowZone**
04-01-2005, 08:01 AM
FF9 has to be one of the best FF games ever. Certainly better than FF8.

kawaiileena
04-01-2005, 12:00 PM
It makes sence FFIX wasn't popular... although it is one of my favorite video games to date! It's just that with FFVII and FFVIII people started to join the bandwaggon, with FFIX square went back to what they started out with... with what most people (esp in the US) didn't care for. So it's basically because people are so stupid and don't give things that are different enough of a chance

Yeah, you're right. Go, boy!

If only they gave FFIX a chance to show itself its greatness, and set aside the differences, they could see that its a great game like the others!

... am I right? Or... wrong? Hahahaha...

BackRoomKid
04-01-2005, 08:06 PM
Seeing how i always never look at Final Fantasy IX...I decided to play it and see if this game was really my least favorite of the series. I have a few good things to say (i'm almost done with disc 2) and one bad...it's more of a complaint

A strong start.
The game really makes a strong start. You're introduced to a band of would-be kidnappers and also get to a cool looking kingdom. Introduction to Vivi was cool, you could explore a lot. The whole kidnapping sequence was hilarious. Steiner was being frantic, you got the cheezy play going. There's that sword fight between Zidane and Blank. I don't think Final Fantasy has started in such a way like IX did with a play, kidnapping, chasing...all that.

Characterization
I thought the development of the characters weren't that bad. Zidane is obviously girl-crazy but he doesn't show it much, he's really just funny. Steiner is shown to be a stubborn loyal night, but it's funny to watch. Garnet (dagger) is shown to grow up, you see significant personality change. Vivi is the most attached character...you can't help to feel emphatetic to him. Freya was not THAT significant to me, but she is a cool character and a good fighter. Quina is funny to have around, brings comic relief. I like that the party is constantly split...telling different sides of the story

Overall worlds and cities
This FF is seriously eye candy. There's this big castle's with industrial looks to them. But then there's small villages to look at and they are nicely designed.

Bad/Complaint/whine...whatever:
Battles....waay to slow
I put the battle option as fast....battles are so slow...i never look forward to a random encounters.

Monster design
Something i noticed. I really like 80% of the monsters...but if you notice...the other 20% have these HUGE mouths showing off these HUGE white teeth! I hated it...they don't look scary...just fugly.

DJZen
04-01-2005, 09:00 PM
I think it was just a very watered down FF. Even though they used a new skill gaining system it didn't FEEL all that new (getting skills & attributes from what you have equipped? Smells like materia to me...). In fact, the entire game was influenced by what came before it, which made for some cool points, and some absolute drivel. I don't think the game sucked at all, but it just didn't impress me all that much.

UltimateSpamGrover
04-01-2005, 09:01 PM
FFIX is my second favorite RPG, The first? Look at my sig.

kawaiileena
04-02-2005, 05:21 AM
Well, it never really sucked, like FFVIII ( in my opinion, I think Square lost its cool in this game... no offense out there!) but I just think it's treatment is being unfair...

But yeah, the battles are slow, and I think that's another bad point... it looks even better if they have a game plan like Legend of Mana, not taking turns! I hate that kind...

But, though, it's still a good game and I think it deserve a better treatment!

Nod
04-02-2005, 11:51 AM
VII and VIII have all the materials for slobbering fanboys/girls.

Spikey Hair, Big Swords, Teen Angst, Moody Characters, I could go on.

yup. plus, zidane is a silly main character. :D :D

Shoden
04-02-2005, 03:41 PM
because its such an easy game and the sytem in it the ability system, the trance system, storyline, setting even the summons put FF gamers off
but one of the major things is the characters and there designs

it didnt have any weapons or many die quests to beat so it made the gameplay shorter

took me a week to beat FF9 a very easy game but it isnt the worst FF game theres 5 and X-2 that surpass it in crapness

7 and 8 get the most attention because more gamers like the characters and battles in it

7 gets more because of its great story and characters even those Bastards Emerald and Ruby

8 because of Squall the setting the story and best of all the Ragnarok (my fav thing in FF8) but the limit break system was what put most fans off because it divered from FF tradition like the Trance

so does this answer your question?

9 was quite a good game but not the best in FF

you may agree or disagree about this but these points here are actually true i dont care whether or not you agree but you need to accept the facts most FF gamers prefer VII and VIII and of course X (hey my top 3 FF games and in order too)

ShivaBlizzard8
04-02-2005, 05:29 PM
Honestly, I think FF9 gets passed over a lot attention-wise because it came out in the middle of two games that had a lot more fanfare. When FF9 was released, contraversy was still buzzing around FF8 - love it or hate it - and most FFers were drooling over the prospect of the PS2's upcoming release and the horde of media attention being placed on FFX's graphics and voices in order to sell the new platform.

As 'Kishi said, FF9 was a letter of love and reassurance to old-school FFers, but they, unfortunately, often are overshadowed by the louder more apparent fanbase of FF7-10. The FF9 lovers were drowned out.

Therefore, fewer people have actually played the game. For instance, when 9 initially came out, I wasn't really all that excited about it, and put off playing it in favor of giving FFX a shot. However, when I came back to FF9, I absolutely adored it - much to my surprise. It's a great game, but you need to actually play it to realize that.

rubah
04-03-2005, 01:36 AM
Why is it that way?

'Cause it's nice, but not gripping like the others.

The graphics are gorgeous, but they're all of like medieval stuff. Well, the part of it that doesn't interest me.

The characters can be cool, but not enough that I wish I were them or knew them, or lived near them.

that and the sidequests didn't intrigue me enough to follow through and finish them all. I got tired of waiting for the friendly monsters to show up, tired of playing with chocobos, tired of killing dragons to power freya's special attack up, so I just went to beat the game and sorta never went back to finish those.

Del Murder
04-03-2005, 03:30 AM
Us old people aren't as vocal about our games.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-03-2005, 03:36 AM
8 because of Squall the setting the story and best of all the Ragnarok (my fav thing in FF8) but the limit break system was what put most fans off because it divered from FF tradition like the TranceThe Limit Break system in FFVIII was closer to the original system in FFVI than FFVII's was.

BackRoomKid
04-03-2005, 05:23 AM
reason why i didn't like trance...it never came when you most needed it...lol...always in a random battle

Chibi Angel
04-03-2005, 05:36 AM
I really didn't like the sidequests in the game, or the fact that you can't do any of them on the last disk because all the mist root are in the way and you can't go anywhere anymore. I didn't really like the cartoony style graphics as much either. I dunno...I guess I just kinda like the newer splashier stuff better I guess.. But I will admit ff9 did have a good story line.

kikimm
04-03-2005, 09:02 AM
but there's no getting around the fact that everyone in the game looks like a deformed eight-year-old.

This was actually a reason that I refused to play the game, until last year. I've long since gotten over the bad graphics=bad games thing, but it influenced me all the same. It gives a very immature, light, vibe, and I don't like games like that. I prefer them dark, moody, and angsty. :)

Now that I've played the game, though, I do like it. The story is great, but gameplay blows. The trance system is the worst that I've ever experienced, and I can't stand the way you learn abilities. I can't back that up because I have no clue why. The battles are quite dull.

I do feel, though, that it isn't up to par with the other FFs I've played. Perhaps it IS too happy, but I think it's something else. The story isn't as great as others, there's only a few characters that I truly like. Sorry to say Vivi isn't one of them. Plus I'm stuck right now, which makes me mad. What's worse is that I have no motivation for getting unstuck; =/ That says loads in itself.

So perhaps I am a horrible idiot.

:D

smittenkitten
04-03-2005, 06:31 PM
Wel i liked ffIX i liked the story and the ending was very nice plus u get to dress up and be in plays, but at times it was boring when there was battles i just could'nt be bothered the main reason i like it is because i thought the fnv's were really good they could of put more in thoughxXx

KentaRawr!
04-25-2005, 04:35 PM
"took me a week to beat FF9 a very easy game but it isnt the worst FF game theres 5 and X-2 that surpass it in crapness"

"(And of course, it was beaten by v)"

I feel so sad...(Goes into room, locks door, and plays FFV)

(Talks from the other side of the door)

FF9 is pretty good. I never noticed that it got the least attention. :eek:

ShivaBlizzard8
04-25-2005, 07:16 PM
FFV rocks. 'Nuff said.

DarkLadyNyara
04-25-2005, 07:26 PM
chaos: FFIX getting the least attention? What about FFII?
thank you! That is one overlooked game.

Shauna
04-25-2005, 09:50 PM
I really enjoy FF9, like I enjoy FF8. But FF7... I never really got a feel for that game.

I think FF9 is really funny, but I laugh at just about everything. :D
This game ROCKS! I love it! :love: :love:

But, I don't know why many people hate this game. I don't really see any reason to hate it.

The battles do go a bit slow, and sometimes Trance can get a bit annoying, like once the battle ended and Zidane went into Trance. I was so angry! :mad2: :mad2:

But overall, I love this game!

Darth Cid
04-27-2005, 08:30 PM
Zidane: This is a fun topic, FFIX is one of the best FFs of all times, keyword there, ONE OF, ya see every ff has its fans, VII and X get more attention due to their sequels.

Garnet: It's actually good, that we don't get as much hype as Cloud and Tidus, because we don't get sequels, and a sequel is never quite as good as the originals.

BorIzEE27
04-29-2005, 04:53 AM
ZidaneAndGarnet:

a sequel is never quite as good as the originals.

What about T2, and Aliens..........

BackRoomKid
04-29-2005, 05:53 AM
^^^don't think ZidanceAndGarnet (a very clever s/n i might say) were talking about movies

but when it comes to thoes movies...yea, good sequels...i think there point was that the stroy of FFIX was fulfilled...there were really no "unanswered" questions except maybe about Vivi or Quina....but eh, you weren't really motivated to search more about them

Mi-Chan
05-14-2005, 04:25 PM
9 was the first final fantasy game I played. it was love! the music, the story, the graphics.. i was suprised that there werent many people who played it.

suppose it makes sense though. I mean if you look at the other FFs, the ones that are much more popular, they have character sex appeal, which 9 lacks, within comparison to other ffs. I'm sure there are other reasons, of course, (like the card game lacking directions) but that's what stands out the most to me. Personally I dont care, it was a great game, that deserves more attention. :D

Buccura
05-16-2005, 07:07 AM

I second that, while I more wish IX got more attention, I still also think II deserves more as well because despite some of the battle systems flaws, its very unique and has a lot of depth (concidering the time).

That and Josef rocks =D

TurkSlayer
05-17-2005, 02:29 AM

I second that, while I more wish IX got more attention, I still also think II deserves more as well because despite some of the battle systems flaws, its very unique and has a lot of depth (concidering the time).

I actually think FFT gets the least attention. I mean, at least people know FFII exsisted at some point, and the fact that now its out on GBA. But not everyone knows FFT actually exsisted because its not in the main line up. (FFI-FXI)

That and Josef rocks =D

Minwu's better. :p

Buccura
05-17-2005, 05:48 AM

I actually think FFT gets the least attention. I mean, at least people know FFII exsisted at some point, and the fact that now its out on GBA. But not everyone knows FFT actually exsisted because its not in the main line up. (FFI-FXI)

That and Josef rocks =D

Minwu's better. :p

Minwu rocks and if definantly the coolest white mage ever, but I just love Josef because his name is the same as mine (Only spelled Joseph)

Old Manus
05-18-2005, 04:07 PM
Man, them Sims, go figure.

Alexander
05-18-2005, 07:37 PM
FFIX gets the least attention among the PSX Final Fantasies because people prefer angst and sex appeal. The only two things FF8 really have. Because it lacks in everything else, specially storyline (Storyline? WHERE? I only see... a damn freaking time loop -_-).

And about Trance. I prefer it over Limit Break, because Renzokuken made FF8 REALLY easy. The another Limit Break are very overpowered, as well. Armageddon Fist, anyone? Shockwave Pulsar, anyone? Angel Wing, Hyper Shot, Rapture, TheEd, anyone?
Merton and Aura makes the game easier, as well, specially Aura. Aura gives you Full HP Limit Breaks. Holy War and Hero make syou survive Terra Breaks, Apocalypse, Light Pillar, everything. It isn't fair. Plus the parallel level system and junction system in FF8. You can be below Lv10 and even Ultima Weapon can be easy.

Trance doesn't appear anytime, plus they can't cause "OMG WTF 9999 x 16 WTF LOL DAT'S SO COOL" and such. You say Eidolons cause spiffy damage, but what about Lv100 Brothers with Boost and All SumMag+ causing 3000~ damage? u.u

Well, let me stop the neverending dumbness I did XD

Gwelenguchenkus
05-18-2005, 11:13 PM
I guess the reason this is my favorite game, is because I always end up coming back to it.

I especially love the Excalibur 2 challenge, and Ozma.

This game also has the best chocobo sidequest of any Final Fantasy, period.

This game is also very intricate in many ways. It has a ton of content, references, interesting quirks, and such. Theres like a million key items with little phrases, tons of moogles with different personalities (artemicion, stilzkin, the moogles in Maiden Sari, Mog), and lots of historical information on tablets and statues around the world. Tons of little mini-games involving the collection of various Stazillio with different descriptions, the different coffees, and all the various types of cards, frog catching, etc. etc. etc.. Tons and tons of items, various weapons, and equipment that have different abilities, and add different status effects to weapons, elemental defense/attack to armor/weapons. Also, this game has the most diverse population of demi-humans I have ever seen, and tons of strange, quirky characters.

I just feel like this game has a ton of content. It's has a huge, intricate web of references to past final fantasies as well. This also makes it the perfect Final Fantasy for a Riddle Topic.

Sunny Rabbiera
05-18-2005, 11:47 PM
well there are several reasons why this one gets passed over.
the first is of course after the disater that was FF VIII many fans gave up on the series.
second is that the fans who enjoyed FF VII and FF VIII for thier futuristic looks didnt like the regression back to a more mideivel time.
third is of course the lack of "sex appeal" [a factor I wish that wasnt a part of it]
and the most damning factor is the fact it came in between a transgression from PS1 to PS2, and every one was more interested in the promises of FF X and a new console to toy with.

Tanwen Strife
05-21-2005, 02:18 PM
Something BackRoomKid said was that there was very little left to wonderabout. There was in 7 and 8 so people talked about it afterwards, wondering 'did anyone survive from 7', 'who were squalls parents?' that kind of thing. There was none of that after 9, exept maybe about Vivi, as everything was answered in the final cutscene (which was fairly rocking might I say), so people don't tend to discuss it as much after the event.

It also had the feel of being a bit of a filler FF, like Sunny Rabbiera said. They were waiting for X to come out on the PS2. Not to say I don't like it (I love them all, and it tends to be the one I'm playing which is my favourite), but there's just something about it. Also, most of the really good things that appeal to me about FFXI is the details and the sidequests, which you can't play with until near the end.

And finally, there is the lack of a big kickarse sword! Braver, Lionheart, cool waterone-whoes-name-I-have-forgotten. Nothing in IX. And what is a Final Fantasy without it's iconic sword.

Alexander
05-21-2005, 03:06 PM
And finally, there is the lack of a big kickarse sword! Braver, Lionheart, cool waterone-whoes-name-I-have-forgotten. Nothing in IX. And what is a Final Fantasy without it's iconic sword.

Steiner is very sad with you. He will go to the corner, cry a lot, and kill you with Excalibur II afterwards. XDD

Tanwen Strife
05-21-2005, 06:23 PM
Yeah, it is a good sword, but it doesn't have the same asthetics. The others were instantly recognisable images that represented the game

Hroth
06-01-2005, 01:46 AM
Ok, what the hell. FFVII gets too much attention because it was the one that sold the most copies, period. It isn't very good, the storyline isn't as awesome as FFIX or FFVI, the characters aren't half as lovable (except for Aerith). FFVII is the easy choice for gamers, well it sold the most copies so it must be the best, plus it was sorta cool when I played it. COME ON! Talk about people who don't know /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif about RPGs. FFVII is one of the worst FFs, it is clearly a hollywood movie, nothing new, nothing interesting. It revolutionized NOTHING, the only thing it added was the Limit Break meter. At the same time as FFVII came out, this other INCREDIBLE RPG game out called Wild Arms, guess why it didn't get as much attention? BECAUSE IT DIDN'T HAVE THE ADVERTISING AND THE FRANCHISE NAME TO BACK IT UP! But it clearly was much better than FFVII. FFIX is just the second best FF, awesome graphics, the storyline was incredible, the characters were unforgettable, the setting was very, very awesome and the retro touch gave it a charm that only real RPG fans would like. That is also why it didn't get as much attention, FFIX is an RPG lover's RPG, not a commercialised bull/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif game. Iconic sword? I'm sorry, the sword became ICONIC with FF7 cause it was huge. The swords on the previous covers were only secondary, the Mog took a much bigger place. FF didn't start with FF7, know your stuff.

TurkSlayer
06-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Ok, what the hell. FFVII gets too much attention because it was the one that sold the most copies, period. It isn't very good, the storyline isn't as awesome as FFIX or FFVI, the characters aren't half as lovable (except for Aerith). FFVII is the easy choice for gamers, well it sold the most copies so it must be the best, plus it was sorta cool when I played it. COME ON! Talk about people who don't know /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif about RPGs. FFVII is one of the worst FFs, it is clearly a hollywood movie, nothing new, nothing interesting. It revolutionized NOTHING, the only thing it added was the Limit Break meter. At the same time as FFVII came out, this other INCREDIBLE RPG game out called Wild Arms, guess why it didn't get as much attention? BECAUSE IT DIDN'T HAVE THE ADVERTISING AND THE FRANCHISE NAME TO BACK IT UP! But it clearly was much better than FFVII. FFIX is just the second best FF, awesome graphics, the storyline was incredible, the characters were unforgettable, the setting was very, very awesome and the retro touch gave it a charm that only real RPG fans would like. That is also why it didn't get as much attention, FFIX is an RPG lover's RPG, not a commercialised bull/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif game. Iconic sword? I'm sorry, the sword became ICONIC with FF7 cause it was huge. The swords on the previous covers were only secondary, the Mog took a much bigger place. FF didn't start with FF7, know your stuff.

Don't state all that bull as if it was fact, because its not. I respect it as your opinion, but don't say that "people who like this don't know **** about RPGs". In my opinion the story is incredible and the characters were just as fantastic. I don't like it because it sold the most copies or the advertising! I didn't even know anything about it until after I had already beaten FFIX. (my third favorite) VII was just another number to me. Then I actually played it, and I loved it! So don't go around thinking people loved it for the advertising just because you don't like it! I haven't played Wild Arms myself, but all I've heard was that it was just okay, so I've never bothered.

Hroth
06-03-2005, 12:04 AM
Consider yourself one of the few who actually like it for what it is.

Old Manus
06-03-2005, 11:42 AM
Talk about people who don't know about RPGs. FFVII is one of the worst FFs, it is clearly a hollywood movie, nothing new, nothing interesting. It revolutionized NOTHING

Can you think of a decent PS1 RPG before FFVII? No. It revolutionized absoloutely everything. Including games of other genres.

TurkSlayer
06-03-2005, 09:30 PM
Talk about people who don't know about RPGs. FFVII is one of the worst FFs, it is clearly a hollywood movie, nothing new, nothing interesting. It revolutionized NOTHING

Can you think of a decent PS1 RPG before FFVII? No. It revolutionized absoloutely everything. Including games of other genres.

When did Star Ocean: The Second Story come out? If it came out before FFVII, then there was a decent PS1 game. But I ultimately like FFVII better. Anyway, so that this doesn't get off topic, I still think FF Tactics gets less attention than this game, which is too bad, because Tactics is also a magnificent game.

Hroth
06-03-2005, 10:42 PM
Wild Arms I think came out either before FFVII or at the same time. It is one of the best RPGs I have ever played. It is far superior than FFVII. Don't base your opinion on someone else, try it yourself.

Adam 77
06-07-2005, 06:12 PM
because it is not as good as the others thats why!! :rolleyes2 man this game is nothing compared to 7,8.10 and 6. ;)

TurkSlayer
06-07-2005, 11:56 PM
because it is not as good as the others thats why!! :rolleyes2 man this game is nothing compared to 7,8.10 and 6. ;)

I actually found this game ultimately better than FFX, and much better than FFVIII, but your right, its not quite as good as FFVII or FFVI. As for trying Wild Arms, as I said all I've heard is bad things, so I didn't want to waste money buying it. But if you thing I should play it for myself, then I'll have to find a copy somewhere in order to do so.

Zidane_Tribal
06-08-2005, 04:53 PM
ok well im new here and IX is the first ff i have ever beaten because its really the only one i play all the time. I LOVE IX way better VII. Im sick of people saying it was horrible when it was actually a fairly awesome FF...my fav one actually!!!!

kawaiileena
06-08-2005, 05:27 PM
ok well im new here and IX is the first ff i have ever beaten because its really the only one i play all the time. I LOVE IX way better VII. Im sick of people saying it was horrible when it was actually a fairly awesome FF...my fav one actually!!!!

Yay! And you're right... I just hate it when they all say it was the most lame game like ever and never even bother to play it for themselves... they also like it to be the same like VII or VIII... :( that's sad.. why don't they just play it thoroughly and appreciate the way it was meant to be played? oh well...

And I have to agree that it VII was better than this one, but IX is MUCH better than VIII. I don't know about X, though... never played that before... we don't have a Ps2 yet... :cry: :cry:

Soryn
06-13-2005, 03:51 AM
i think it didnt get as much sales because PS2 came out afta it was released, they should have waited and released it on PS2 and given them voices and stuff

ArmoredChimp
06-15-2005, 01:26 AM
IX is my favorite FF and my favorite game. ever. i loved the gameplay, the system, the story, and the music.
the only problem is the final two battles were just too easy.

Cuchulainn
06-15-2005, 01:53 AM
i think it didnt get as much sales because PS2 came out afta it was released, they should have waited and released it on PS2 and given them voices and stuff

That's pretty much it really. It's a great little game. It's release date was just tragic.

XxSephirothxX
06-15-2005, 03:59 AM
Ix's easily my favorite game in the series. A lot of people dislike it simply because it's different. Zidane isn't the strong, silent type. He's not a badass. People were also turned off by the art style. But it's my favorite RPG.

Locke the Thief
06-16-2005, 01:47 AM
FFIX has always been my favorite game. the characters were great and there was humor in it....i love humor.

LionHeart_83
06-20-2005, 07:01 PM
It doesn't get any attention because most poeple played FF VII and VIII and loved the them,s tory, whatever. Then Square decided to go back to their roots and a lot of people didn't like it because it wasn't like a futuristic setting like VII and VIII were. So they kind of shyed away from it.

Mavrick
09-02-2005, 07:11 PM
lol. deformd 8 year olds. i understand that 9 was a great game but the whole thing where 8 and 7 get most of the coverage is kinda off. no one except for me and the other 4 people on the internet like 8 and we get told that it sucks everyday by every other jackass out there that dont know a good game when they see it. 9 was pretty good. not my favorite though.

Sasquatch
09-02-2005, 08:43 PM
no one except for me and the other 4 people on the internet like 8 and we get told that it sucks everyday by every other jackass out there that dont know a good game when they see it.

So everybody BUT you and your four friends has bad taste? Help me with this... I didn't play VIII all the way through, but it didn't seem very good -- not bad, of course, just, like VII, not nearly worthy of the attention it gets.

I'm playing IX now though, it seems pretty good. Haven't gotten too far, though.

Fire_Emblem776
09-03-2005, 09:10 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, what the hell. FFVII gets too much attention because it was the one that sold the most copies, period. It isn't very good, the storyline isn't as awesome as FFIX or FFVI, the characters aren't half as lovable (except for Aerith). FFVII is the easy choice for gamers, well it sold the most copies so it must be the best, plus it was sorta cool when I played it. COME ON! Talk about people who don't know about RPGs. FFVII is one of the worst FFs, it is clearly a hollywood movie, nothing new, nothing interesting. It revolutionized NOTHING, the only thing it added was the Limit Break meter. At the same time as FFVII came out, this other INCREDIBLE RPG game out called Wild Arms, guess why it didn't get as much attention? BECAUSE IT DIDN'T HAVE THE ADVERTISING AND THE FRANCHISE NAME TO BACK IT UP! But it clearly was much better than FFVII. FFIX is just the second best FF, awesome graphics, the storyline was incredible, the characters were unforgettable, the setting was very, very awesome and the retro touch gave it a charm that only real RPG fans would like. That is also why it didn't get as much attention, FFIX is an RPG lover's RPG, not a commercialised bull game. Iconic sword? I'm sorry, the sword became ICONIC with FF7 cause it was huge. The swords on the previous covers were only secondary, the Mog took a much bigger place. FF didn't start with FF7, know your stuff.

i did play wild arms and i loved it to it is loong!!!!!

Quindiana Jones
10-01-2005, 12:46 PM
right, i only just read this but i'm gonna get back to the topic off ff9. ff9 is the best game ive bought. i bought it when i had a ps1, i now have a ps2 and so far none of the games ive played have been as good as ff9 (including ff's 7-10). i dont know why i love it so much, but i do know that the music has got to be one of the reasons. the tunes are just so "deep" and i just love em. also the whole storyline (which isnt actually that origional) is done perfectly. how's that? best game i ever bought was Ł10. yummy!

asukaevaunit02
10-25-2005, 03:30 AM
yeah it made me wonder,i always see ff7 and keep hearin how good it is but nothin can be better than ff9
i thought it was soo good i went and brought a ps1 and everything just 3 play it
definetaly best game, followed by ff5

Xel
10-25-2005, 04:33 AM
the fact that the stroryline does even fit is a good reason...

I mean, you run after the 4 jewels during the first 2 cds, and the ugly queen totally needs them, and they are key items. then, you get all of them and the two girls trade them...end of the thing. we never hear about them anymore... WTF???

And the end...

Team: alright, we killed kuja!!! the world is saved!!!

necron: not so fast...

Team: and you are?

Necron: im necron. Im the last boss...

Team: but kuja was the last boss... you simply have no point behing there!!!

Necron: i dont care, im the boss. thats how it goes. lets fight...

And finally, the heroical end...

Zidane: now that we escaped at the peril of our lives, im going to return there and abandon my friends and my love, cause maybe the bad guy will want to repent himself... and it wouldnt be then same if the game just ended like that after the big battkem so i willdisapear for a while and make people believe im dead, then i will reapear. God im so smart...

FFGuevara
10-27-2005, 12:26 AM
FFIX is one of the favorite Final Fantasy games. I think it got little attention because of FFX since it came out a year later on the PS2 it caught all the attention.

Zellmfh
11-02-2005, 11:48 AM
I liked IX the best too, and why it has the least attention is beyond me, but so true: I just finished reading the character list of Kingdom hearts on imdb, and again, the only game of ff VII-X2 who has no characters there, is ffIX. sick of this

Russielloyd
11-02-2005, 12:30 PM
It is a good game and story but the one thing that pisses me off is that (possible spoiler) you put all that effort into making your characters good, to find out in the end that most of the characters HP cant even been raised beyond 8000 HP except Amarant which is really annoying.

Quindiana Jones
11-02-2005, 01:38 PM
meh. Nevermind about high hp. It's not all about the hp. FF9 *cough the best cough* is more about the moves you learn and getting them to be the best.

And who said that FF8 and 10 were better than 9? Wow you're wrong. Although 7 is better, i still prefer 9. It's delicious with a nice cup o' tea.

crazybayman
11-02-2005, 02:17 PM
I did really enjoy this game, but looking back on it, there were a few things that annoyed me.

The main thing that annoyed me was the skill system. It was great that you equipped different armour and weapons to learn skills, but I still have no idea what the hell a lot of the skills and abilities are for. Like Locomotion for instance. And why on earth you needed Man Eater to be effective against humans, and Stone Killer to be effective against those enemies, and bird killer, and bug killer, and devil killer, and so on.

My point is, is that there were too many different skills, and no obvious ingame explanation for them (unless I missed something). And healer, and gamble defense, for instance. They sound obvious, but I didn't see them make any difference. As well, how do you use Mug?

As well, while there was a nice, light, la-ti-da feel to the game, I found the music to be a little too silly. I'm back playing FFVI now, and the even though it's a 16 bit game, the music is by far better in my opinion. It gives you a better feel to the game's setting. Some of the music in FFIX was just strange, like Linblum Castle's music. It just didn't set the atmosphere for me.

As well, I found the Trance mode to be pretty pointless. They rarely ever went into trance for me. Sometimes they did, but at the very end of a fight, and at which point I didn't get to do much with it, anyways. And even then, there wasn't anything drastically different about Garnet's and Steiner's trances when in effect, either. Zidane's were different, but really not that eye catching, where he runs up and slashes the hell out of the enemies, unlike Squall's Lionheart, Tidus' Blitz Ace, Cloud's different limit breaks, Zell's dual, etc. I didn't even get trance activated enough to see all of Zidane's different moves.

However, the ending FMV was amazing, the game had a great storyline, and the world was beautiful. I found just flying around in the airship, looking at the lush landscape to be enjoyable. As well, the game script was great, in that the characters seemed to have more personality than say FFVIII, for instance. And the battle system was great, too.

But I guess, I would have liked to have seen the skill system, trance and the music to be done differently. Well, the skill system itself was neat, but there were just too many different, obscure skills. And I found I could never have enough skills equipped with the need for more ore slots.

I think the main reason it didn't receive as much attention is because, as said earlier, it was released after FFVII and FFVIII, and right before FFX and the release of the PS2. That, and the fact that it wasn't angst ridden and sexy like FFVII, FFVIII and FFX, as said earlier.

If nothing else, FFVII and FFVIII have sex appeal going for them. FFIX has nothing to offer in that regard. Square certainly gave it a shot with Beatrix's huge rack, but there's no getting around the fact that everyone in the game looks like a deformed eight-year-old.Definitely.

Jess
11-02-2005, 11:23 PM
took me a week to beat FF9 a very easy game

Yeah, the first time I got FFIX and played it through it took me four days to complete, but I was constantly playing, and I didn't include any of the side quests or anything. But the reason I was constantly playing the game is because I was hooked to the storyline and the game, I thought it was a great game and is one of my favourites along with X & VII. IX brough my love back to the Final Fantasy games because I didn't enjoy VIII as much, so I was happy to see that IX wasn't a let down.

It is irritating as its not as popular, not because it doesn't get attention - because its not sold in the shops anymore over here in the UK and I lost the second disc to my game :(

Lord Xehanort
11-03-2005, 01:06 AM
Crappy graphics style, stupid main character, useless summons, and the ability system all drain FFIX's popularity.

EPIC - MASTER OF COMBAT
11-04-2005, 12:23 AM
yeah there should be a re-inproved version of the game like they are doing for FF7 than again more people like FF7 more than FF9 out there... are make a contenuration of FF9 like they did on FF10.. but where to start out the new FF would be a hard ordeal so i think i made have firgued out a good idea for a conituration.. its problaucy stupid tought..

after they defeated almost everything and they setted down and zidane and dagger get married anyways about 10years later hell has broken lose..
a person from a neo-mardin sara has stolen invincle behind everyones backs while he has invincle he takes it to lindblum and remods it to the frist ever rocket ship and then dagger and zidane shearh for invincle frist they get close to lindblum than blast off the ship emages from underground and goes deep into outer space.. on there minds.. why would cid let them get away.. to find out more i wouldn't like to spoiler the story so i set up some spoilers

EPIC - MASTER OF COMBAT
11-04-2005, 12:34 AM
once they enter lindblum they confront the recent than he's acting like he didnt know than a new vilain enters the room and knocks out zidane and dagger then hilda enters the room all evilest looking.. "foolish mortals" "so zidane tought you could get rid of my pesidence.. wrong sry poor monkey.. i admi9t i rather not be a woman but its better than nothing mwuahha.." yes kuja has returned and process hilda using a crystal of his power.. *basicly right before he leaf hilda at mt guglg he gave her a stone.. containing soem of his life cuase he seened that he would die but acts like he didnt know so...*
he process all the highnesses in lindblum under his control.. then you fight urself outta prison and get to alexandia to find that its been under attack by lindblum than zidane and dagger (plus new party) to sliming island also the island takes you to a range of places in your solar system but its only active for alexandia now due to attacks so you go to a nearby palnet and confront the person who stole invincle and fight him than.. i let you guys firgue out more stuff that happens from there iam not the best at thinking

edit- also sry i muplite posted iam bad at that =)

Angelic Rikku
11-08-2005, 05:11 PM
Actually, I agree that the release date sucked for IX, it was right before the PS2 release and no one really cared to get IX since X was coming out on PS2.

Well, and as a personal preference, I just don't like IX. I perfer the futuristic style of VII, VIII, and X... and IX's story, BLAH!! I couldn't get into it, I couldn't see a point to anything. And sorry to be a little shallow, but the character designs just sucked!!! Actually, the characters personalities sucked too... :(

Starboard Regulator FlareNUKE
11-12-2005, 09:15 AM
Lol, that's true.
Although I did find Quina strangely attractive... :(

You are not serious right?

Oh and who wanted to buy a PS game back then when the PS2 was so close...

yeah there should be a re-inproved version of the game like they are doing for FF7 than again more people like FF7 more than FF9 out there... are make a contenuration of FF9 like they did on FF10.. but where to start out the new FF would be a hard ordeal so i think i made have firgued out a good idea for a conituration.. its problaucy stupid tought..

after they defeated almost everything and they setted down and zidane and dagger get married anyways about 10years later hell has broken lose..
a person from a neo-mardin sara has stolen invincle behind everyones backs while he has invincle he takes it to lindblum and remods it to the frist ever rocket ship and then dagger and zidane shearh for invincle frist they get close to lindblum than blast off the ship emages from underground and goes deep into outer space.. on there minds.. why would cid let them get away.. to find out more i wouldn't like to spoiler the story so i set up some spoilers

They were going to remake FF7, FF8, and FF9 for the Ps2, but each one was dropped... one FF8 PS2 Demo showed how the internal game graphics were just as good as the FMV sequences in the PS version