PDA

View Full Version : Computer keeps freezing

Shadowdust
03-27-2005, 06:45 PM
Anyway, what happens is that I will start hearing a quiet sound coming from the direction of the hard disks. When this happens I look at my HDD led light and it remains a solid red. Next thing I know, my computer completely freezes. At first I checked the error log and it said that there was a disk error and that the event code was 11 which gives the description: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D. So I look it up and the article suggested replacing the cables. I did that, and it is still having problems.

I've noticed even an ever so slight movement of the power connectors to the hard disks leads to that sound.

So does anyone have any idea what's going on? Am I going to have to get a new power supply or is the problem elsewhere?

crono_logical
03-27-2005, 08:35 PM
Try replacing the power connectors with one of the other free ones floating about in the case for now - most computers should have some free ones, unless you've got lots of components inside the case already.

Shadowdust
03-27-2005, 11:38 PM
Yeah, every four pin connector is being used. I'm noticing that the case fan connectors are getting kind of loose. I'm starting to think that since they may be the cause of my problems. If one of them comes loose, it cuts all of the power to my hard drives since they're connected through the fans' connectors.

I'm trying something right now where I'm connecting the hard disks directly to the power supply's connectors rather than through the fans' connectors. Worst case scenario is that I'll have to disconnect all of the case fans and connect all drives directly to the power supply.

Thanks for your help cl. Only time will tell if the problem is fixed so if you guys have any more suggestions, keep 'em coming. :D

crono_logical
03-27-2005, 11:46 PM
I'd replace the power supply unit and get a more powerful one with more connectors instead :p Would also help avoid potential electrical hazards from the broken connectors :p

Shadowdust
03-27-2005, 11:57 PM
That's what I hope to do in the near future. Preferably one of those modular power supplies from Ultra so I don't have to worry about so many stray unused cables being in the way.