PDA

View Full Version : Wow. Lots of crashes.

Xalioniaf
03-27-2005, 11:52 PM
I'm living in fear. As I type this, I feel as if at any moment, my computer will read what I am typing and crash. You see, for some time now, my computer crashes at random and stupid moments. It used to be not so much before, but now, after crashing once, the comptuer continues to crash, sometimes before it even reaches the login screen. So, does anyone know what's going on? *whew*. I made it before it crashed.

crono_logical
03-28-2005, 12:13 AM
Reinstall Windows and try again :p

Rye
03-28-2005, 12:20 AM
That used to happen to me all of the time. I had to get my computer brought to a shop. Your computer is probably either extremely old or full of viruses?

Sepho
03-28-2005, 12:24 AM
What do you mean by 'crash'? Do you see an error screen, or does your computer randomly restart, perhaps? Details!

ShunNakamura
03-28-2005, 01:00 AM
Yep as Clo_out said.

depending on your window's app, you have to reinstall so many times a year. I belive with 98 it was recomended to re-install 2-3 times a year... 98 had some memory problems... newer windows can go longer if I remember correctly.

If it is full of viruses, you just format one of your partitions.(format it, install windows, then re-format just to be safe, then install as normal) and the install windows.

This is why I don't like Windows, much.

crono_logical
03-28-2005, 01:15 AM
Windows 98 on my sister's PC lasted a good 3 years or so without reinstalling, before I upgraded it to Win2K, since Win2K is superior :p My laptop last had XP installed 78 weeks ago, and is still running smoothly - I usually average an uptime of 2 weeks at a time, though I've hit 10 weeks before with this installation :D A lot of the problems users get (viruses, broken software etc.) are because of the users themselves :p

ShunNakamura
03-28-2005, 08:34 AM
Well it does depend on what you do with it. but I have read many articles on the memory leakage that Windows has.(mostly concerning ME and 98). And windows can last a long time.. the longest I have seen is this lady had a 5+ yr old computer that had win 98 on and was still working. she wanted me to maintainance it cuase it was slowing down. oh boy.. I had a mouth full to tell her. She really had too much on it.

Anyways, I have had windows last awhile, on non-internet computers.. but eventually they almost all die. True I use the computer nearly 12 hours a day even if it isn't online. Which I think is part of the problem.

As an example let me say, my Macintosh LC III, has a total of 0 MB free. it has so little ram that it is non-existent(I can check, if I bother to pull it out of storage), and it's processor is of course old. Basically it is now as it was when it was made. On to the story. We had Sim City 2000 on it. and my bro ran that computer for 7 days straight playing Sim City. It never slowed down. Even when it got to the really busy parts no matter how long we left it, it kept going. Now THAT is what I consider a good system.. we overworked the poor thing so bad that I thought it would start smoking. Btw having no freespace isn't a good thing.. the reason we had to play like 7 days straight is cause we couldn't save our game files :( ... I think I'll fire it up sometime this week for nostagilic sake.

But yes I know I read somewhere( a pc magazine maybe) that it was recomended to reinstall Win98 2-3 times a year to maintain performance. however I know if you work it right it can last longer. but I know it must leak memory... leaving it on for a week while running heavy loads isn't possible.. or at least I haven't managed it.

Xalioniaf
03-29-2005, 12:20 AM
Well, we haven't reinstalled it(Win. XP, btw) since we got the computer, which was in March/April 2003. I guess that's the problem. But, will it erase all of my crap? I've got a bunch of crap on here, and I'd rather preffer not to copy it all onto disks.

Sepho
03-29-2005, 05:12 AM
Yeah, to format your hardrive is to erase all of the data on it. If you want to reinstall Windows, it looks like you're going to have to start copying all of the stuff you want to save to disks. It can be a pain, but it's ultimately your choice whether you want to run a fresh install and potentially fix the problem.