PDA

View Full Version : Gramatical Errors at EoFF.

nik0tine
03-28-2005, 04:22 AM
Posting Rules

You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

This is gramatically incorrect. It should be You can etc. etc.
May does not apply here because this is a case of can, and can not, as opposed to may, and may not.

For example, unregisters members are unable to do any of these things. Therefore, no matter how hard they try, they cannot post, make threads, etc. However, once they register they have access to these things and can do them. The only way they could no longer be allowed to do these things is if, once again, they no longer had the ability to do them. Therefore, may is inapropriate, and should be changed to "can" immediately.

eestlinc
03-28-2005, 04:25 AM
Since posting, etc is a priveledge that can be given out and revoked equally, I think "may" is correct. We are being allowed to post by the graciousness of Cid.

Yamaneko
03-28-2005, 04:25 AM
Yeah, I was going to say something along those lines. "May" seems more personal than the cold "Can".

Del Murder
03-28-2005, 04:26 AM
Yeah, I'm with the linc here.

Raistlin
03-28-2005, 04:27 AM
This is gramatically incorrect. It should be You can etc. etc.
May does not apply here because this is a case of can, and can not, as opposed to may, and may not.
*cannot

EDIT: I think both are correct. Yes, "may" and "can" have subtly different meanings, but I think both work equally well in this case.

Caspian
03-28-2005, 04:31 AM
The title of this thread is a sentence fragment.

Yamaneko
03-28-2005, 04:33 AM
It is.

nik0tine
03-28-2005, 04:36 AM
I think "can" is more appropriate than "may" because of the way they are used in the physical world. "You may not have sex in the back of my car!" means that I will not permit you to have sex in the back of my car. However, you are still physically able to do this. However, "You cannot transform into a helicopter and fly away" means that you are physically unable to do this.

In the case that is relevant to EoFF "You may post" because you are allowed to. However, if you had that privelage revoked, it could not be "may not" because you would physically be unable to post.

The title of this thread is a sentence fragment.
Hey! stay on topic! Either that, or stop making me look stupid. :p

Caspian
03-28-2005, 04:39 AM
You spelled nicotine incorrectly. =(

nik0tine
03-28-2005, 04:40 AM
T4ht5 B3cuZ I r teh l33t 5p34k4R!!!

Raistlin
03-28-2005, 04:44 AM
I think "can" is more appropriate than "may" because of the way they are used in the physical world. "You may not have sex in the back of my car!" means that I will not permit you to have sex in the back of my car. However, you are still physically able to do this. However, "You cannot transform into a helicopter and fly away" means that you are physically unable to do this.
Can - you are physically able to post in this forum
May - you have been granted permission to post in this forum

Both make the same amount of sense, and both are correct.

nik0tine
03-28-2005, 04:51 AM
You are right Raistlin, but if I admit that I am wrong I will look stupid for making this thread. Therefore, I will continue to argue my point. (Even though it is making me look stupid. :p)

Mr. Graves
03-28-2005, 04:57 AM
Can seems less authoritarian than May, in my view. :X

Del Murder
03-28-2005, 04:58 AM
You are right Raistlin, but if I admit that I am wrong I will look stupid for making this thread. Therefore, I will continue to argue my point. (Even though it is making me look stupid. :p)
This is the Feedback way.

Raistlin
03-28-2005, 05:08 AM
This is called a Catch-22.

Meat Puppet
03-28-2005, 07:08 AM
Interesting topic. On a quick "sub quest" to save making a new topic, why did my signature get removed and replaced with "taco"? It makes me feel lost and lonely. :confused:

open up a can in may

Zell's Fists of Fury
03-28-2005, 07:26 AM
I made that for Taco too. Now I feel bad. :(

Loony BoB
03-28-2005, 08:35 AM
I may not close this thread.

Ashister
03-28-2005, 10:02 AM
Titles are allowed to be sentcence fragments. It's the period at the end that's inexcusable. =P

Roogle
03-28-2005, 10:36 AM
"Grammatical" is spelled incorrectly, too. Thanks for the feedback.