PDA

View Full Version : halo

Excelsior
03-28-2005, 05:48 AM
dear god, can someone explain to me what is up with all the hype about this game? i just played it, and its probably the most decently-average FPS ive ever played. i cannot for the life of me see why anyone would ever hail this as "the best game ever" or give it a perfect score. also, i thought i noticed that plot had something that didnt make anysense (note: i did not play Halo 2, and it may have explained it) well, the only way the flood can be killed is by cutting off there food (or, you know, shooting them.) but, since they were only on the one halo ring, why the hell did it insist on wiping out like, all life in the universe? i guess they might not want to take any chances that the flood got off on a ship, but i mean, still. what the hell?

Sephex
03-28-2005, 05:51 AM
The original Halo is fun to play because of Multiplayer. I agree that the single player isn't all that great, and the game is overrated. Halo 2...don't even get me started on that game. I know this joke is unoriginal, but it really should have been called Halo 1.5. A terrible waste of three years.

Erdrick Holmes
03-28-2005, 05:52 AM
Well, sence the flood come from Halo itself why couldn't they just destroy Halo itself? It's a fun game, I love Halo 2 for it's storyline.

Behold the Void
03-28-2005, 05:59 AM
Getting riddled by bullets in Halo 2 multiplayer by my cousins is kinda fun, but I do think it's quite overrated. I haven't even touched single player.

Cz
03-28-2005, 01:39 PM
Try playing through Halo: Combat Evolved on Legendary difficulty. Completing the game on normal doesn't do the game justice, since it's quite possible to simply run in and blast everything to pieces with your Assault Rifle. Legendary is a completely different experience, and brings out the true charm of Halo. Enemy AI is boosted to the point where your only way forward is to think patiently and tactically, and each scenario tests your skills to the limit. It is by no means the best game ever, but is still an exceptionally well-crafted FPS, that is still a joy to play four years on.

As for your plot point, the Humans and Covenant that arrived on Halo both brought ample means for The Flood to escape (the Cruiser that you infiltrate in the level Keyes being a good example). If the parasite had managed to escape on one of these vessels then it would have been difficult to track them down, and they would have been able to spread throughout the galaxy much like a virus spreads through the human body. The Halo weapon acts as a last resort, when all other means of containing The Flood have failed. Rather than leave the galaxy to an enternity of Flood infection, the ring eliminates all life with sufficient biomass to sustain the parasite, therefore starving it. This sacrifice halts the spread, and the galaxy slowly rebuilds itself through the natural process of evolution, meaning that sentient life will one day form again.

The important thing to stress is that Halo is a weapon of last resort, and not the only means of containment. Without this little detail the game's plot turns from 'pretty poor' to 'absolutely crazy'. As it is, 'pretty poor' is a nice way of summarising the plot device explained above. :)

But the game as a whole is an excellent example of how to make an FPS. The game doesn't have any outlandish gimmicks, but is simplt a well-made title in which basic things are done very very well. Give the game a chance on Legendary, and you might see what I mean.

Meat Puppet
03-29-2005, 03:46 AM
Halo's graphics are too good and makes me go sleepy nuts :(

derekstrickland
04-19-2005, 02:15 AM
this game is so cool one of the best xbox game ever one of my fav. games ever and they came out with a halo 2 it is much better then the frist one.

square_is_the_best
04-19-2005, 03:14 AM
Remember 007? Whats special about that? It did everything right in an era where good FPSs were hard to come by. That is why Halo was so popular. It did everything right. Didn't try to accomplish too much but at the same time had al the basics. Like a well balanced diet.

Rase
04-19-2005, 03:32 AM
In my opinion:
Pros:
1) I enjoyed the story.
2) It felt like it controlled perfectly.
3) Good Graphics a nice plus.
4) Excellent multiplayer
5) Great A.I.
6) Felt "just right" on almost all levels.

Cons:
1) Repetative levels sometimes.

Again, my opinion.

Old Manus
04-19-2005, 08:00 AM
They say it's the 'Best game ever' because it's the only decent thing that came out of Xbox.

Cloud No.9
04-19-2005, 09:58 PM
i prefer the entire half life series to the halo (or marathon as it should be called ) series. half life 1 is till one of the most amazing games available and was the best first person shooter until half life 2, everything was there on that game and all that halo did was lessen it's greatness but put a new coat of paint on it. half life 2 on the other hand wipes the board with everything and laughs menancinly at halo as it eats it for dinner while feeling overwhelimingly smug at being the greatest game currently available.

i tried very hard not to cross post this but two threads were so amazingly similar all that would happen is that i would say the same thing in each but with different wording. sorry about cross posting please don't burn me on a stake.