PDA

View Full Version : They Might Be Giants. Or they might not.

fire_of_avalon
03-28-2005, 08:44 AM
Who knows, really?

Have you ever listened to any TMBG? Any particular songs spring to mind? Are you a crazed and rabid fan like Jebus?

I like Reel Big Fish more, I think. But I haven't been exposed to a whole lot of TMBG. Who knows, really?!

WildRaubtier
03-28-2005, 08:49 AM
Any peice of music without some nong's voice souring it is automatically better than most. There are exceptions, although rare.

Mindflare
03-28-2005, 08:49 AM
I'm a crazed and rabit fan just like Jebus. I love their variety of quarky music.

Their best songs are: New York City, Twisting, Subliminal, The Bells Are Ringing, and We Want a Rock.

I prefer their more upbeat, happy sounding music. Though, that usually means the lyrics are sad.

Jebus
03-28-2005, 08:50 AM
Yes, yes, and yes.

I could list off some songs, but for the sake of not having a long post I'll say "For the love of Mike. Listen to them. They are kickass awesome." They're songs are great. The ones that aren't plain weird, are witty and fun.

Almost all of their songs have some meaning behind them. They also like to put a not so upbeat topic to upbeat music "Twisting" "Don't Let's Start" etc. They also have some songs about meaningful subjects like the music industry "I Should be Allowed to Think" and technology "Thermostat"

If anyone wants to get into them I'd recommend the albums Lincoln and Flood both of which have the essence of what they are. A witty and fun band with some good messaging.

Of course ALL of the albums are good. So good I can't stop listening to them. *should seek therapy*

TheAbominatrix
03-28-2005, 09:48 AM
I really love They Might Be Giants. I'm cursed when it comes to them though. Both times I've been scheduled to see them live bad things have happened and I had to cancel. Le sigh :skull2:

eestlinc
03-28-2005, 05:05 PM
yea, I like John Herny and Apollo 18

kikimm
03-28-2005, 05:21 PM
The only cd of theirs I've listened to is called....No! I think. And Violin is the best song, or one of the best songs on that cd.

But otherwise, I'm not a fan. Too bad.

:D

XxSephirothxX
03-28-2005, 06:26 PM
Years ago a friend of mine had one of their CDs...I liked the music, but never pursued it at all. I vaguely remember a song about a hamburger...am I completely making this up? Maybe I'm just thinking of Cheeseburger in Paradise...O.o

Black Mage
03-28-2005, 09:20 PM
My brother is a giant fan of their music, and as a result, I've been introduced to most all of their songs over the years.

Actually, my brother went to see them live a few times. One time he actually was able to shake their hands, and had a staring contest with John Linnell. I was rather impressed.

Regardless, their music is very good, a personal favorite of mine.

Kirobaito
03-28-2005, 09:33 PM
Well, I once offered Jebus the chance to give me one TMBG song to listen to, and if I liked it, I would listen to more. He gave me <I>Don't Let's Start</i>, and I did not like it. I despise the lead singer (at least for that song)'s voice. Like a clothespin over his nose.

So no, I do not like TMBG.

TasteyPies
03-28-2005, 10:55 PM
Particle Man, Particle man, doin the things a particle can, when he goes swimming does he get wet or does the water get him instead?

The Captain
03-29-2005, 12:12 AM
Dial-A-Song!

Take care all.

Jebus
03-29-2005, 01:09 AM
Well, I once offered Jebus the chance to give me one TMBG song to listen to, and if I liked it, I would listen to more. He gave me <I>Don't Let's Start</i>, and I did not like it. I despise the lead singer (at least for that song)'s voice. Like a clothespin over his nose.

So no, I do not like TMBG.

Pfft. Pfft I say!

John Linnell has a great voice.

Anyway, the quality of the music is only half the fun. Trying to find out what they meant with the lyrics is a lot of fun too. Especially with their more obscure and weird songs i.e. "Boat of Car," which I still haven't figured out. It's thinking music, or if you don't feel like thinking, it's just generally great music. The Johns are great on so many levels.

eestlinc
03-29-2005, 01:34 AM
what are we gonna do in case they are?

krissy
03-29-2005, 02:00 AM
istanbul

eestlinc
03-29-2005, 02:04 AM
Fingertips!

TasteyPies
03-29-2005, 02:15 AM
istanbul

Was Constantinople

The Captain
03-29-2005, 07:12 AM
I greatly enjoyed how Tiny Toons, when they decided to use two of the TMBG songs, paid tribute to both Johns by having the characters dress up as them briefly.

Take care all.

MoonsEcho
03-30-2005, 08:37 AM
I greatly enjoyed how Tiny Toons, when they decided to use two of the TMBG songs, paid tribute to both Johns by having the characters dress up as them briefly.

Yes!

And yes, I do enjoy TMBG. I haven't listened to them in ages, though. :( Except for Particle Man, because it's my favourite. =P

Loony BoB
03-30-2005, 12:09 PM
They're so-so.

boris no no
03-30-2005, 12:37 PM
my friend subjected me to them on a 4 hour drive.
one was not amused.

fire_of_avalon
03-30-2005, 07:04 PM
what are we gonna do in case they are?

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2003/04.10/photos/18-beanstalk.jpg

-N-
03-30-2005, 09:11 PM
There was a concert here last week. My friend shat his pants. Continuously.