PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new monitor...

Citizen Bleys
03-28-2005, 10:42 AM
...unfortunately, I know precisely bugger about monitors. I use my computer mostly for gaming and watching movies, and it's about time to get rid of my old 17" NEC for something a little better.

LCD or CRT? I know that a 19" LCD is about the equivalent of a 21" CRT because the screen measurement only includes viewable area, not the plastic trim, but LCD is also more expensive and not supposed to be good for gaming. Anybody got some brand names they can reccomend? I'm thinking of getting a refurbished 21" NEC CRT on the cheap from tigerdirect, but I don't want a monitor that's going to be worse than my 17" clunker.

If anybody knows of a good online retailer--which must ship to Canada, so don't even think Newegg--let me know. I'd just as soon buy the sucker online so that I don't have to lug it from store to home by hand. Online retailers will drop it right on my doorstep.

Endless
03-28-2005, 12:15 PM
For a monitor brand, I would definately recommend <a href="http://www.iiyama.us/">Iiyama</a>, they make great quality monitors (which my brother and I use).

Citizen Bleys
03-28-2005, 01:27 PM
Never heard of them, and can't find any through either any of the online vendors I know of that ship to Canada (ncix, tigerdirect, vibecomputes) nor through local ventors like Torture Shop and Gaydio Shack.

Yamaneko
03-28-2005, 02:29 PM
CRT definitely.

I usually check Froogle for this kind of thing: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?hl=en&lr=&tab=wf&q=21%22+CRT+monitor&btnG=Search+Froogle

Endless
03-28-2005, 05:01 PM
No idea how good that store is, but http://www.neutroncanada.com/ seems to have that brand, and they ship to Canada.

NM
03-28-2005, 06:02 PM
I'd go for a TFT.

If your playing alot of game's, then you want a monitor response time of 16 miliseconds or lower, otherwise the screen will blur with any fast movment.

Edit.

Iiyama's website. http://www.iiyama.com/

Dr Unne
03-28-2005, 11:36 PM
LCD, unless you enjoy staring into a lightbulb. I have a cheap generic Dell (no idea the real brand) and it's lasted me 3 years. It's perfect for my needs, though it could be a bit bigger. I wouldn't take a CRT for free.

Yamaneko
03-28-2005, 11:39 PM
I stare at a CRT for hours on end and my eyes don't complain.

Citizen Bleys
03-29-2005, 10:55 AM
I like CRTs

Erdrick Holmes
03-29-2005, 09:13 PM
I'm not exactly big on LCD moniters, to easy to accidentally break, a pain in the rear to clean sometimes. I used to have a laptop and the screen cracked a little bit after my little cousin accidentally dropped a golf ball on it, wasn't able to use it again. I'd go with CRT, at least if it gets a crack in it then you can stil use it. Plus I'm sure it's less expensive.

Dr Unne
03-30-2005, 02:16 AM
I stare at a CRT for hours on end and my eyes don't complain.

Might just be me, I don't have good eyes to begin with. But one hour of CRT-staring causes me serious pain, and 8 hours in a row of LCD does nothing.

I know we had this thread before. There are a lot of reasons to get an LCD. Lighter, takes up less desk space, looks cooler, etc. Lots of reasons not to get one too. More expensive, crappy screen resolution, etc. Depends what you want.

edczxcvbnm
03-30-2005, 02:29 AM
I have a 17" samsung(pretty new). It is great for gaming because it has a 12ms refresh rate or response rate. That is unnoticible. It has a good viewing angle but the one thing I don't like is the verticl viewing angle(not very good :P ).

I play a lot of tv video files on my computer at home. I notice the artifacts a bit on the 17" but on my old 14" it looked perfect. I imagine they would look horrendous on a 19" or 21". I don't really know if that is an issue for you though.

One thing CRTs are unbeatable at is color quality.

I am sitting at work in front of a kick ass 19" Dell monitor. It costs like $600 and is 19" but it is awesome. 2 side usb and it has 15 pin and DVI cords. Its nice.

I will look out there for you if you give me your definition of "cheap"

Citizen Bleys
03-30-2005, 09:34 AM
By "cheap" I mean the 21" CRT monitor that I just ordered for $175 cdn including shipping. It's a refurbished NEC.