PDA

View Full Version : Why is this game so divisive?

DJZen
03-29-2005, 10:01 PM
For some odd reason or another, people seem to either love this game or hate it with a fervor. Anyone feel like providing any insight as to why that may be?

Necronopticous
03-29-2005, 10:07 PM
It's a matter of having three friends you can get together and play with on a normal basis, or not having three friends you can get together and play with on a normal basis.

It's also a matter of being a stupid Square fanboy and saying you hate the game because you don't want to buy a gamecube solely for this game alone.

I stand on the latter, but I don't claim to hate the game. I'm just a stupid Square fanboy who doesn't want to buy a gamecube solely for Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles.

DJZen
03-29-2005, 10:12 PM
But.... wouldn't that just make you a Sony fanboy and not necesarily a Square fanboy?

You'd think Square fanboy logic would be more like "I will buy every last game they make, no matter how obscure, no matter how expensive, no matter how much Japanese I have to learn in order to play it."

Necronopticous
03-29-2005, 10:30 PM
That's more like a 100% fan. Fanboys stick to a company like leeches and are typically: whiny, never satisfied, in denial that anything created by a company beside said company could be any good, overweight, pale skinned, and usually have unreasonably bad spelling and grammar.

Sometimes when speaking directly with a fanboy, you'll often wonder if they've ever even played the games they claim to be so obsessed with, since they seem to have no knowledge of them beside what can be seen on the front of the jewel case inserts.

DJZen
03-31-2005, 08:01 PM
In my experience fanboys tend to have scary amounts of in depth knowledge of the games, but also of the hentai/yaoi/slash/furry comics based on them. This is my view of fanboy reaction (note, this is just MY view):

Sony fanboy: OMG NINTEDON IZ SO TEH GHEY CUZ HAV TEH WTF DS? DUEL SCREAN? MOR LIEK DUAL S****Y!!!!!!!!!!111OMGWTF Y SQUAR PUTTEING THERE GAME ON IT SO DUMB WTF :chop: :goomba: :shoot: :radred: :skull: :alien: :bleys OMG SRISLY NTINDENO SO DUMB ONLY 4 TEH KIDZZZZ PLAYIN IT F***** CELDA OMG SO DUMB

Square fanboys: EVAR SINC TEH MERJOR ENIK HAV BEN REKING SQUAER (OMGWTFBESTCOMPANYINTEHWORLDEVAR4LIFEZ!!!!!!!!!111) AND IHAT DEM WTF THEY EVAR DO AN NOW THEIR MAKEING TEH GAEMS NOT LIEK FFVII AN I HATE DEM WTF U NO WAT I MEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111

But the REAL confusing thing to me is this, if someone's so upset about it, why are they playing and/or chatting about it?

Destai
04-01-2005, 02:44 PM
fanboys are an urban myth.

Del Murder
04-02-2005, 06:44 PM
Did you ever think that continuously mocking those types of people is the best way to encourage that type of behavior?

I have no opinion of the game, having never played it.

DJZen
04-02-2005, 07:03 PM
Actually, no, I hadn't considered that. I will though.

Back on track though... I'm just trying to figure out the need to continuously whine about the game. If people dislike it so much, why spend so much energy complaining about it when you could do something more enjoyable?

Del Murder
04-02-2005, 07:27 PM
I think complaining about something is a way people blow off steam and relieve stress. Ultimately their opinion doesn't matter, and I'm sure some of them realize this. A game such as this is an easy target for such attacks because it's different.

Young people in particular are apt to complaining because for most of them the internet is their first opportunity to have a voice. Like most inexperienced people with a new ability, they abuse and overuse theirs by arguing and posting their underdeveloped opinions as much as possible.

And then there's the group of people who just get off on this sort of thing.

Destai
04-02-2005, 08:01 PM
because it's different :cry:

DJZen
04-03-2005, 04:44 AM
And then there's the group of people who just get off on this sort of thing.

You mean like me? ;)

Cloud775
04-23-2005, 06:27 AM
I like the game because of the Moogles and Selkies. That's just about it. I don't like the game because of the other races, story, and the fact it's on GameCube. Why couldn't it have been on PS2 too?

DJZen
04-24-2005, 07:18 PM
Because PS2 doesn't have GBA connectivity.

RedCydranth
05-19-2005, 09:52 PM
Back to the original question, why do many people hate this game?

I have played it and I think its only decent. Here is my beefs with it.

1. Tedious leveling up. The system of leveling up in clever but it gets quite monotonous re-doing areas over and over to obtain artifacts, and when theres like only 2 left in that area, theres no guarantee that you will get it because you recieve them based on a randomly given point quest per level. If you are playing without a GBA, you have NO IDEA what that random quest is. If you do have it, and you know what it is (say, take physical damage or Don't use Focus attacks) there is still no way of knowing how many points you have accumulated until you beat the boss. If you have the neccessary # of points there is still a chance you wont get the desired artifacts because you can still recieve an artifact set from a "lower level" amount of points.

2. Lack of sidequests. The only sidequest in the game is to find all the moogle nests and get your card stamped. Once you do all that you can play the mini-game, that isnt fun unless you have more than one player... which brings me to my next point.

3. Neccessity of Multiplayer. Although you can play through with just one character and beat the game, your town becomes quite terrible because only the profession you chose is beefed up. If you chose blacksmith at the beginning, your town has no other shops but a blacksmith. even if you create 7 other characters, one of each profession, you'd have to go use those characters a lot in order to build up your towns shops. In essence, this means you have to beat the game like 8 times.

4. GBA usage... In order for you to even play multiplayer you cant just have a friend come over and use the other controller, they must bring their GBA and GBA-GCN cable. For optimum play you need 4 GBAs and 4 cables. I think that is a really cheap way for nintendo to make us buy their merchandise. I personally think the game should have had controller multiplaying, but they lose the GBA bonuses.(Map, enemy data, point quest info, etc.)

5. GBA as a controller. When in multiplayer mode you obviously must use the GBA as a controller. If you want to use your inventory you must go into your menu and use the item, or set it to your command slot...or whatever. The problem is that if in the heat of battle it doesnt pause it, whereas in 1 Player mode it does. I understand realism and it makes your allies cover your tail while you are menu surfing, but I play 1P in multiplayer mode to get the map on my GBA and to know the point quest for that level. I cant go into my inventory without being hit. Its a pain in the arse.

Given all of that I believe this game IS fun, it just could have been planned and made better.

Other people beef about the "buying a GCN soley for FFCC". I think they are real idiots. There are a lot of fun games for the GCN (I'm 23, so i'm not a little teen whos into Yu-Gi-Oh! or Pokémon). Zelda: Windwaker, the new Zelda coming out (hopefully) later this year, Skies of Arcadia Legends, Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime, the GBA Player which puts any Game Boy game on the TV (like the old super game boy for SNES). It makes playing FFTA MUCH better. Also, I'm soon going to get into Paper Mario 2. There is also Resident Evil 4, The Sims, Tales of Symphonia and who knows what more will come out. To say that FFCC is the only reason to get a GCN is complete BS.

Alice
05-19-2005, 11:42 PM
Red you pretty much covered it.. good job ^_^

I did play it, and it was alright, though pretty lame by yourself... I just couldnt get into the story. I ended up selling my GC after it though because I wasnt into that kind of stuff, ofcourse NOW i am and i kinda regret it... good thing the revolution is coming out so I can rethink my past choices.

The Best part of the game is character creation and the nice graphics... the WORST part is its made for multiplayer and since I dont have any friends who play video games... it was lame..

Vyk
05-20-2005, 12:04 AM
Well I'm not a fanboy. But I'm not a hater either. So I think my opinion is slightly unbiased. Though I'll admit I don't have friends willing to play it with me so I can't get the full atmosphere of the game. But it seemed very awkward. You had this standard 3-strike combo attack thing that was more about timing than actually hitting something. It was somehow easy to not know what to do next even though the game was practically as simple as it could be. You could go to like 3 or 4 different areas, but have no real way to progress in those areas. I never found any hints in what to do next and dind't really enjoy the game anyway so I just quit playing and decided I don't really like it. Awkward, boring... just no fun to me... But I'm VERY picky about games these days since I'm sort of fading out from being a gamer. They have to be absolutely superb to catch my interest and maintain it.

Eternal Dark Night
06-08-2005, 01:11 AM
i don't know what you guys are talking about its not a really bad game but what shocked me is how they got this game for gamecube that hit the spot but at that time i was lucky i have gamecube but that game was to easy specially when it lets you play with your friends but still i beat that game by myself :D

Chris
06-08-2005, 01:58 PM
I bought a Gamecube solely for this game. :love:

Eternal Dark Night
06-09-2005, 12:45 AM
i don't blame you alot of people were curious bout this game and thought it was the only good game for gamecube but this mite upset the website if were not talking about PS2 Or PS1 FF games

StarlightAngel
06-09-2005, 01:00 AM
Why would it do that? Its a Final Fantasy and this is a Final Fantasy game.

Personally, I love to get my friends over and play it. For about a month I used to invite my friend over every week so we could play. It was loads of fun :D

Chris
06-09-2005, 02:25 PM
It's the best game in gaming history. :love: