PDA

View Full Version : plot twists

eestlinc
03-29-2005, 11:11 PM
You know that moment, like in Fight Club, when you realize what is really going on, as opposed to what you had been lead to believe was going on for the whole movie? I like those kind of moments. Do you?

amratis
03-29-2005, 11:15 PM
Yeah I like those kind of moments, in a weird kind of way, as they very often raise conflicting emotions.

Yamaneko
03-29-2005, 11:17 PM
It's probably not as fun when you're the script writer.

eestlinc
03-29-2005, 11:17 PM
but the script writer makes money off it and money is good!

RSL
03-29-2005, 11:41 PM
Plot twists are awesome if they make sense. I hate movies where the whole point is plot twists and there's no way to follow it. For an example of this, rent the movie Basic with John Travolta sometime.

Meat Puppet
03-30-2005, 12:21 AM
My computer and internet are working fine, next thing I know they're all buggered.

Exciting!

Del Murder
03-30-2005, 01:45 AM
It's probably not as fun when you're the script writer.
I don't think so.

Flamethrower
03-30-2005, 01:54 AM
You know that moment, like in Fight Club, when you realize what is really going on, as opposed to what you had been lead to believe was going on for the whole movie? I like those kind of moments. Do you?

Are you trying to hint at something? ;)

Anyway, yes, plot twists are great.

Zell's Fists of Fury
03-30-2005, 02:02 AM
Foreshadowing is a good thing too.

Shlup
03-30-2005, 02:31 AM
The best moment of foreshadowing in Fight Club is when the narrator is beating the crap out of himself and he says he was reminded of his first fight with Tyler. It amuses me.

Miriel
03-30-2005, 02:35 AM
Intelligent plot twists are few and far between these days. Everyone should watch the episode "Walkabout" on Lost, that is how a plot twist should be revealed. Brilliant brilliant brilliant.

Del Murder
03-30-2005, 02:36 AM
What I don't like are the random ones thrown in that are just there for impact, and don't make any sense otherwise. It's also annoying when you have too many of them. The best stories are carefully written start to finish.

Ouch!
03-30-2005, 02:46 AM
I'm fine with multiple plot twists as long as they're relatively easy to follow. There shouldn't be more than one major plot twist, though.

krissy
03-30-2005, 02:50 AM
- we have the same suitcase
- you wouldn't believe the dream i had last night / i can barely believe anything about last night / wtf
- sometimes tyler spoke for me
- tyler's words coming out of my mouth

spoiler tags?

Big D
03-30-2005, 03:02 AM
I've never seen Fight Club before, but over the years EoFF has completely spoiled every twist and turn in its plot, apparently. I probably don't need to bother now.

I like a good plot twist. Whether foreshadowed or not, a radical change can really come as a surprise, especially when you're expecting a particular twist but it turns out completely differently. Video games are good at this (FFVII, FFX and MGS1 and 2, Syphon Filter 1 and 2 in particular).

Some of my favourite 'foreshadowing' is in The Harvard Lampoon's masterpiece Bored of the Rings. It's not exactly subtle:

"Is there no hope?" gasped Frito. "Is nowhere safe?"

"Who can know?" said Goodgulf, and a shadow seemed to pass over his face. "I would say more," he said, "but a shadow seems to have passed over my face," and with that he fell strangely silent.

Frito began to weep, and Stomper leaned forward, and putting his hand reassuringly on Frito's shoulder, said "Fear not, dear boggie, I will be with you all the way, no matter what may befall."

"Same here," said Spam, and fell asleep.

"Us too," said Moxie and Pepsi, yawning.

Frito remained inconsolable...
Then there's alle the foreshadowing of the death of Bromosel, the pointy-shoed warrior of Twodor:
"We cannot stay here," said Arrowroot.

"No," agreed Bromosel, looking across the gray surface of the page to the thick half of the book still in the reader's right hand. "We have a long way to go."Earlier in the story, Bromosel recounts an ominous dream in which he is told that he will "cash his chips in at page 88".

It comes as little surprise when he ultimately trips over and impales himself on his shoes after his company surrenders to a Narc ambush.

nik0tine
03-30-2005, 03:05 AM
I like plot twists.

Del Murder
03-30-2005, 03:24 AM
I thought MGS2 laid the twists on a little thick, myself.

Raistlin
03-30-2005, 03:26 AM
The last 20 minutes of MGS2 were just disgusting.

Yamaneko
03-30-2005, 03:28 AM
They've been dead for over 100 years!?

Big D
03-30-2005, 03:33 AM
Yeah, Sons of Liberty felt extremely rushed toward the end. Also, learning that everything was just a big, orchestrated set-up really killed a lot of the drama for me. Replaying the game, I keep noticing things like, "oh, there's no real peril here - it's all in the script!"

And there's the occasional continuity issue, too - in MGS3, we're told that the last of the original Philosophers died in the 1930s), which is well less than 100 years before MGS2.

Caspian
03-30-2005, 04:00 AM
Since this thread seems to be more about spoilers than anything else, all I've got to say is... don't level her up too much.

Big D
03-30-2005, 04:34 AM
Since this thread seems to be more about spoilers than anything else, all I've got to say is... don't level her up too much.Yeah, I was upset when Freya got stabbed by Sir Fratley, too.

Shlup
03-30-2005, 04:35 AM
I haven't played MGS2, but could it possibly be more annoying than FFVIII's plot twists?

Caspian
03-30-2005, 04:35 AM
Freya? I was talking about Lulu being killed by a rampaging shoopuf.

Flamethrower
03-30-2005, 04:46 AM
My favorite plot twist of all time would have to be the time that forum staff pretended they were at war with each other, but it turns out it was a just an April Fool's joke. That was a good one.

Del Murder
03-30-2005, 04:50 AM
Yeah, that crazy Bleys.

Big D
03-30-2005, 04:57 AM
My favorite plot twist of all time would have to be the time that forum staff pretended they were at war with each other, but it turns out it was a just an April Fool's joke. That was a good one.I'd hate to think that I resigned from Staff because of someone else's idea of a joke. Even if Kishi was kidding when he posted that sick tentacle picture, I still stand by my response.

Shlup
03-30-2005, 05:06 AM
Are you kidding me? That picture was hot.

eestlinc
03-30-2005, 05:11 AM
the chick in the Crying Game...yea, it's Shlup. :D

Quina
03-30-2005, 05:37 AM
I live for those moments.

Shlup
03-30-2005, 05:46 AM
the chick in the Crying Game...yea, it's Shlup. :D
Never saw Crying Game, but I feel the sudden urge to kick you.

eestlinc
03-30-2005, 05:53 AM
the big plot twist is that the chick in the movie is actually a man

Shlup
03-30-2005, 05:55 AM
Oh. Awesome.

The Captain
03-30-2005, 07:12 AM
I believe the single biggest plot twist in film history, though it is now common knowledge and a part of pop culture, happened toward the end of The Empire Strikes Back.

Other films that had plot twists that I thought were well constructed:

The Usual Suspects
Se7en
LA Confidential

And of course:

Monty Python And The Holy Grail: the entire film had a plot that can only be described as twisted.

Take care all.

eestlinc
03-30-2005, 03:33 PM
wow, <a href=http://forums.eyesonff.com/announcement.php?f=2>that</a> was a good plot twist!

Miriel
03-30-2005, 03:45 PM
Nah, I don't think that qualifies as a plot twist since I doubt many people had a "OMG, WTF?!" reaction. And really, all the great plot twists in film have made audiences go "whoa."

And I would think that script writers would revel in the opportunity to write plot twists. And if they don't, they really should. People aren't revelling nearly as much as they should be these days.

crazybayman
03-30-2005, 03:52 PM
Plot twists are awesome if they make sense. I hate movies where the whole point is plot twists and there's no way to follow it. For an example of this, rent the movie Basic with John Travolta sometime.

Yes, that flick completely went to hell with plot twists. True overkill.

Craig
03-30-2005, 03:53 PM
I think Memento did pretty well.

Meow
03-30-2005, 08:07 PM
i had it sussed when he told Marla to jet town.

However, i do feel inclined to say that it is sinister forces at work in these forums. Beware the Ides of Eest.

eestlinc
03-30-2005, 08:11 PM
*marks robert down for liquidation*

Miriel
03-31-2005, 12:06 AM
Subtlty is a lost art in scriptwriting. Plot twists can have just as much (if not more) impact if done quietly and without the "dun dun dun" playing in the background.

I agree that Memento did a great job of linking the pieces together to lead up to the twist.