PDA

View Full Version : Error in backup memory?

Valkyrie
03-29-2005, 11:50 PM
..say what?

I have no idea what this means. My game cartridge is not damaged in any way, and other than being dropped a few times, neither is my GBA. I had two save files on the game, one being around 84 hours and the other being around 76. While I have a sneaking suspicion that perhaps the files are too large, I can't be certain. The game won't allow me to load, save, or delete anything, instead I get the message "Error in backup memory."

Does anyone know what's wrong? Can it be fixed, or am I royally screwed?

Mittopotahis
03-30-2005, 02:19 AM
I don't know...That hasn't ever happened to me. I have 2 files (ones a friend's) mines been going for 190 hours and the others been going for about 20. So that would kinda rule out the idea of the files being too big, as mine are bigger. How old is the game? I've had mine since Christmas of 2004 (last Christmas) and everything's going fine with it. Maybe you got a faulty cartridge? I wouldn't think it's the GBA, as they dont hold any memory at all. All the memory is stored in the Cartridge so its probably the game rather than the actual GBA. I dont know how to fix it, so yes, you are royally screwed

DJZen
03-30-2005, 03:27 AM
If you just bought it last Xmas it's still under warranty. Call Squenix, tell them the full message and what you're doing when it happens.

Skyblade
03-30-2005, 06:06 AM
It's definitely not the size of the files, because I can guarantee that mine are much longer, both in terms of time played, and in terms of items, abilities, missions, etc... completed.

If your GBA is getting old, make sure that the contacts are cleaned and that the game is firmly inserted.

omnitarian
03-30-2005, 05:41 PM
Do GBA games use internal batteries for saving? I know running out of juice was a big problem for many SNES games.

My GBA tends to lose power when I save, and I've never heard of people running out of internal battery power (yet). So, I wonder...

Skyblade
03-30-2005, 07:34 PM
Yes. But there is no way it should have run out by now if it hasn't been mistreated...

Xalioniaf
03-30-2005, 11:31 PM
did you buy it used? Then, it would probably be out if it was intensely played by the previous person.

Valkyrie
03-31-2005, 01:29 AM
I don't think it's still under warranty.. I'm not sure. I bought the game the day it came out in '03, so I think the warranty's expired by now.

While on the train to Cincinnati this morning, I blew on the cartridge and the slot for it on my GBA, and, after trying for a few times, it worked. Unfortunately, while I could play the game and load files, I couldn't save anything (the game actually froze while I was in the process of saving). I turned it off, turned it back on, and it wouldn't work again. Instead, I got the "Error in backup memory" message. So, I'm inclined to believe that there is something wrong with the cartridge, since all the other games I have worked fine. I don't know how the cartridge was damaged, though, since I rarely take the game out of my GBA.

So.. anyone know how to safely clean a GBA cartridge, if at all?

Mittopotahis
03-31-2005, 02:04 AM
Well, I've heard that Blowing in it can be bad for it, so I never do...Can anyone confirm this?

Skyblade
03-31-2005, 02:00 PM
I can. Blowing in a cartridge is bad for it, because your breath contains moisture. The contacts are copper (as are the vast majority of electrical wires), and moisture causes them to oxidize. So, while your breath can clear dust and other particles off of the cartridge's contacts, the moisture in your breath will eventually cause the contacts to corrode. Clean off the contacts with a small cloth, or use an airgun to clear dust off of them. If you have blown on them before and the contacts are corroded, use a small cloth soaked in alcohol to clean the contacts, then dry them afterwards.

Valkyrie
03-31-2005, 03:09 PM
Well, I haven't been blowing on it too much, so hopefully I haven't damaged the cartridge even further. But I will try your methods in a bit, once I've located a suitable cloth and some alcohol. :3

Heath
03-31-2005, 03:38 PM
I've been doing that to clean games for years (blowing, I mean) and it's always done the trick for me. Right from the Megadrive up until the N64. I never had any trouble with it, myself.

My name is...something..?
03-31-2005, 09:36 PM
This happened to one of my old GBA games, the exact same thing you are describing(not allowing you to save but will allow you to load), it happened to me, when the cartridge, got left in a place where it got overheated. I don't know if that's the problem, just something for you to think about.

Xalioniaf
03-31-2005, 11:18 PM
Hmm..have you ever used a cheating device(gameshark, codebreaker) with your game? That might be the problem. Hacking the game has a marginal chance of screwing up the cartredge. If you did use a cheating device, you might be in that unlucky margin.