We as people suffer from "schizophrenia."

I am:

A student
A sister
A daughter
A friend
A Forum Member
An Artist

With each of these titles, I must adress each people who view me as such with a different attitude. As a student I must be tolerant, tentative, eager, hard working... these are qualities however that don't necessarily emerge when I am another person. For instance, when I am a daughter I am moody, I am arguable, I am distant, I am impatient.

How do the roles we fulfill in our lives help shape us as humans?
How do these roles complicate out lives?
How do these roles compliment / contradict eachother?

I have a thought that perhaps the overwhelming amount of roles that people are almost forced to assume... or perhaps aren't forced to assume, is essential in understanding how people feel distressed, confused and unsituated in their lives.

A Penny for your Thoughts?

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-30-2005, 01:12 AM
Maybe these personas that we take on is our own faults? maybe from our insecurities of who we are makes us want to create these persona to be accepted by people, rather live to yourself, you choose to live a life to please the others. I think we should eventually all drop our huge games of charades and start being true to ourselves. I know what i just said is hypocritical, and foolish. to explain myself clear, is that maybe we should stop taking on all these persona, and be ourselves, which emcompass and is all of these at once. (I hope that made sense). Humanity strives too much on what others think, and we tend to forget who we are.

-N-
03-30-2005, 02:35 AM
Rather than viewing yourself as a set of discontinuities, why not accept and integrate them all. You don't have to break down the structure of your actions and thoughts into a hierarchical classification for things to make sense - you are who you are no matter what, no matter where - even when you're lying to someone, even when you're lying to yourself.

On a message board I appear to be more crude and abrasive, while in day-to-day life I am kinder. While dealing with people older than me I am more polite, with people my age I am less restrained, with younger people I am more strict. I don't see this as being composed of mutually exclusive personas, but just different faces of the same object. One face can't describe the entire object.

This form of thinking can lead to some problems - after a while one loses sense of what his/her core values are, what's inside the object. All the faces cannot describe an object either - there is still the inside that cannot be determined. To reconcile, one must start with their core set of properties and the faces must be dependent upon them.

Quina
03-30-2005, 05:26 AM
One role at a time.

I have a T-shirt that says 'My other personality has a better lawyer'. Actually, I don't, but it would be cool if I did!

The Captain
03-30-2005, 05:30 AM
"Rather than viewing yourself as a set of discontinuities, why not accept and integrate them all. You don't have to break down the structure of your actions and thoughts into a hierarchical classification for things to make sense - you are who you are no matter what, no matter where - even when you're lying to someone, even when you're lying to yourself."

I agree with that completely. In the end, you only have to impress one person: yourself. If you are constantly feeling as if you need to change roles to suit the situation, you'll probably drive yourself crazy. Most of the people who do care about you should, hopefully, allow you to be the same person around them, not to act in one certain way, but for the entire person to always shine on through.

Granted, it's becoming increasingly tough to keep your individuality these days as we always seem to be getting pulled in millions of directions all at once, but deep down, if you can take pride in who you are, it's so much easier to find that peace of mind.

Take care all.

Yamaneko
03-30-2005, 07:29 AM
I'm either on or off. Mostly on.

udsuna
03-30-2005, 07:38 AM
See, I don't think like this. I'm always me, wherever I am, but some circumstances call for different behaviors. Certain people, certain events, are different. I behave differently to my g/f (when I have one) than I do towards my sisters or my friends. Some values are universal (my honesty and bluntness, never change) but only one gets to see my more romantic side (the g/f... if there was any doubt).

Put us all together in one room, and I'd behave "normally" to each one. The only difference would be a shortened length of attention.

But the same could be said for anything else. Like a swiss army knife, just because you're currently in use as a blade doesn't mean you're no longer a corkscrew, and vice-versa. We are still all those things, just some are more necessary at one time, so we use them at that time.

Shlup
03-30-2005, 07:49 AM
My roles just vary depending on how much I'm going to allow myself to swear. That's about it.

Meow
03-30-2005, 09:39 AM
<a HREF="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_personality_disorder" target=_blank>Dissociative Identity Disorder</a> is not the same as <a HREF="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia" target=_blank>Schizophrenia</a>.

Friendly neighborhood metaphor editor.

boris no no
03-30-2005, 10:46 AM
all my personas are fun.
theres the
student
drinker (kinda the same as student)
sleeper
ex girlfriend (bitter and twisted)
onliner
offliner
mad person....

thats it!
xD

redxiiii
03-30-2005, 11:27 AM
This is a stupid thread! no it`s not, yes it is, no it`s not! *walks off and starts to argue withself* lol

Chemical
03-30-2005, 06:00 PM
You'll have to excuse my extremeties. I have a tendancy to use myself as an example and more than often I use very extreme and out there ideas.

I really enjoy all the topics people have brought up, but please remember that I am a satirical kinda person.

Of course there are different ways we act to people, depending on the persons, but I deffinately agree. It's not a case of actual schizophrenia... I'm more or less trying to bring up how people react and speak differently depending on the person.

I was hoping someone might bring up the idea of how these different "identities" illiminates the ideas of "equality."

A lot of people preach about how they believe in treating others equally... I think we all want to see ourselves as being just and fair, but then again, this is only an identity we really muster when we think of ourselves in a political or humanitarian role.

These values and ideologies, however, are often lost when we assume other "roles" in life. We are not always fair, and if any of you buggers tell me that in your whole life you have never treated an individual person or a group of people unjustly or unfairly then your pants need to be set on fire.

Luthien Rogue
03-30-2005, 06:10 PM
People with schizophrenia don't necessarilly have mulitple personalities... that's not what schizophrenia is, so this topic is kind of offensive to people who are schizophrenic. :\

Chemical
03-30-2005, 06:22 PM
People with schizophrenia don't necessarilly have mulitple personalities... that's not what schizophrenia is, so this topic is kind of offensive to people who are schizophrenic. :\

You've seemed to miss my point.

Satire often consists of extreme and shocking matieral to draw attention to other issues of importance.

I'm not trying to draw attention to Schizophrenia... I'm trying to draw attention to what I've been talking about in my previous posts.

I'm sorry if the content is too shocking or hideous for you to gaze at, but instead of jumping to the reply button perhaps you should investigate the topic of the conversation.

The fact that I'm drawing a parallel between a serious medical condition and the behavior patterns of humans should give you an idea that I'm trying to talk seriously about these behaviour patterns... not critiquing the schizophrenic disorder.

Citizen Bleys
03-30-2005, 06:26 PM
I'm a big brother, that's all that really counts.

Chris
03-30-2005, 06:33 PM
I was given an answer to this question some years ago:

"Life's a bitch, so suck it up.
It doesn't really matter which personality you display,
all of them will surely die some day."

:(

Luthien Rogue
03-30-2005, 06:39 PM
The fact that I'm drawing a parallel between a serious medical condition and the behavior patterns of humans

Except that "parallel" hardly ever exists, because people with schizophrenia don't have multiple personalities (of course, some do, but it's not always part of having this disorder).

should give you an idea that I'm trying to talk seriously about these behaviour patterns...

Patterns are things that appear consitantly, therefore this is not a pattern. Change "schizophrenia" with "DID" and you will see a pattern.

not critiquing the schizophrenic disorder.

You seem to have missed me point.

I understand that, but it's a false comment about people with schizophrenia and there are plenty of kids on this forum who believe what you tell them. The first post suggests that people with schizophrenia have multiple personalities, which is false. Read what Meow said.

Let's say you're diabetic. Someone says "all diabetics have Multiple Personality Disorder." Would it not bother you at all, just because this person is trying to show a parallel/pattern between people with diabetes and the rest of the world (even though the parallel/pattern doesn't really exist.)?

Chemical
03-30-2005, 06:51 PM
Due to your concerns I have placed the word schizophrenia into quotations. May it be noted that this word has a history of misunderstanding. The role of schizophrenia in this topic is unrelated and shall be noted as a metaphor and is in no way representitive of the actual disorder.

Megami
03-30-2005, 07:49 PM
Wow. I never thought about that, but it my case it is very true. With different people I myself am different people.
That's just a little creepy.

*nods*

I am always me too but I agree we must behavior according to situations-

-N-
03-30-2005, 08:57 PM
Due to your concerns I have placed the word schizophrenia into quotations. May it be noted that this word has a history of misunderstanding. The role of schizophrenia in this topic is unrelated and shall be noted as a metaphor and is in no way representitive of the actual disorder.

Disclaimers for threads now? >_<

I was given an answer to this question some years ago:

"Life's a bitch, so suck it up.
It doesn't really matter which personality you display,
all of them will surely die some day."

Sounds like a song quote, but Google doesn't agree. >_<

Del Murder
03-31-2005, 01:57 AM
Sometimes I like my other personalitites better than this one.

Skogs
03-31-2005, 11:12 AM

I'm sorry, but it's still misleading and misrepresentative of schizophrenia. My best friend at school is now schizophrenic, so it irks me a bit more than most.

Rinen
03-31-2005, 11:13 AM
The only reason why schizophrenia has been misunderstood is because of DID and the literary translation of the word schizophrenia ("split mind"). There are five different types of schizophrenia, however, nothing has to deal with multiple personalities. As defined by the David G. Myers Psychology 6th Edition

Schizophrenia is a group of sever disorders characterized by disorganized and delusional thinking, disturbed perceptions, and inappropriate emotions and actions.

People who have schizophrenia are likely to be in one of the five different subtypes of schizophrenia (Paranoid, Disorganized, Catatonic, Undifferentiated, Residual, I will explain this later on) as well as suffer from delusions.

Delusions are false beliefs, often of persecution or grandeur, that may accompany psychotic disorders.

Paranoid : Preoccupation with delusions or hallucinations.

Disorganized : Disorganized speech or behaviour, or flat or inappropriate emotions.

Catatonic : Immobility (or excessive, pruposeless movement), extreme negativism, and / or parrotlike repeating of another's speech or movements.

Undifferentiated : Many and varied symptoms.

Residual : Withdrawal, after hallucinations and delusions have disappeared.

These are the five subtypes of schizophrenia. If you want information on DID, then take a gander at The "Hillside Strangler" aka Kenneth Bianchi. During a hypnosis session with Bianchi, psychologist John Watkins (1984), called up some of Bianchi's "other identities", this identity was "Steve". However in the end, Bianchi was a practiced liar and had read about multiple personalities in psychology books was convicted., due to the overdiagnosis and claims of criminals having DID, many of the psychologists wonder if it even exists anymore. Another good source of information is watching The Annenburg Series with Philip Zimbardo. There are some good videos that are worth watching.

Chemical
03-31-2005, 08:10 PM
Well I'm not changing the content of my thread and frankly I'm just beyond caring if the material is offensive.

You should learn to look at ideas from different angels. Question why words were used and the implications that they provide concerning the TOPIC AT HAND.

It seems difficult for people to admit that they do act differently.

People seem to want to emit a sense of stability or an aura of constant self and perfection.

I personally have been through confusing and difficult times in my life where I would mistreat my mother terribly and yet in the next moment I could be sweet as pie to my best friends. It really gave me a sense of being lost in my own body and not knowing who I really was.

I'm not sure, but I've come to a sort of conclusion that I will never be one person. I feel like a morphing being that absorbs surroundings and reacts never to return to a former state again.

If it makes sense, like for anyone to understand who I am or for even myself to understand who I am I have to consider everything past and present because it seems like all the moves I make are altered by every new observation and event.

It's easier to see myself as being separate identities, perhaps because when I am the student I am shameful of the lazy bum who eats chips and uses grunts as a form of language... but in the end, it really is all the same person who like water often changes it's shape but retains it's chemical formula.

The Captain
03-31-2005, 09:36 PM
Perhaps it's more to do with what aspect of our collective personality we choose to reveal in a given situation?

Take care all.