PDA

View Full Version : I'm Not Crazy About You

Chemical
03-30-2005, 01:10 AM
Favourite threads have been a continuous tradition on Forums for generations.

But what are there importance? Do we engage in these pointless topics hoping that other people will read that our favourite fruit is the blood orange and instantly want to befriend us?

I've participated in my fare share of favourites... but in all earnesty, I have never felt the necessity to read my fellow posters. It all just seems like trivial information I'll just forget the day after tomorrow when I talk about my favourite pair of socks...

Perhaps this is just my call out to posters.

Make your "Favourite" topics a little more interesting. Give them Pizzaz for Goodness Sakes! Add a little story. Or maybe urge your posters to tell an interesting story about their favourite item. How it became their favourite item. A memory.

Everytime I engage in favourites I almost do so with a sinical matter. For instance, my favourite smell was burning flesh.

What are ways that we can make Favourites more interesting? Or ... get rid of them ? =P

Maybe we should have a topic: The Favourite of Favourites Where instead of one topic, people just continuously post their favourite whatever day after day after day... seems senseless doesn't it?

I mean, am I wrong? Favourites often seem to me as a way to extinguish boredom without actually challanging ourselves to come up with new, individual, interesting and engaging conversations with eachother.

Caspian
03-30-2005, 01:46 AM
I think the lack of replies to this thread is a testament to the tripe you are combating.

Yamaneko
03-30-2005, 02:03 AM
This is my favorite thread in a while.

-N-
03-30-2005, 02:12 AM
Why would anyone want to actually talk to anyone else? People are more comfortable sitting inside their bubbles of security and occasionally tossing packages of words at each other that do nothing more than bounce away.

Meat Puppet
03-30-2005, 02:14 AM
Talking about my favourite stuff on the internet makes me feel less inferior than I am.

Raistlin
03-30-2005, 02:19 AM
Ashley...I love you.

I made an LJ entry about "bull/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif questionnaires" once, and got reamed for it.

Ouch!
03-30-2005, 02:40 AM
I don't like favorites threads. They're lame and I only post in 'em when I'm really bored, which is very, very often.

Quina
03-30-2005, 05:40 AM
My favorite thread is the one about Ozma needing a hug.

Jojee
03-30-2005, 05:44 AM
:cry:

Favourites often seem to me as a way to extinguish boredom without actually challanging ourselves to come up with new, individual, interesting and engaging conversations with eachother. Actually yeah, that about sums it up ;)

Chemical
03-30-2005, 06:09 PM
Ashley...I love you.

I made an LJ entry about "bull/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif questionnaires" once, and got reamed for it.

I'm all yours pumpkin doodle ;)

Indeed, you shouldn't have been reamed, if anything you should have been glorified!

Blogs and Live journals have taken on the role of subjective entries that can be associated with news colomns if people take the initiative.

"Journalists" if you can call them even that, have degraded the system down into a scream for attention.

LOOK AT ME! I LOVE CAKE! AND I HAVE A CAR! AND MY FAVOURITE COLOUR IS BLUE!

No offense to anyone, but I'm not interested in reading it and frankly I don't think anyone else is either. We should encourage eachother to write articles on current events, theories, ideas...

We should be finding interest in eachothers thoughts and analytical abilities... not their hair colour and dislike for smokers (unless that is you can create a damn good article on the issues surrounding smoking)

I mean... whenever i think about filling out a questionare, it makes me feel like I'm more into myself than other people. I think I enjoy filling out information on -ME- more than other people enjoy reading it.

-N-
03-30-2005, 08:55 PM
Hey, my favorite color is blue too!

Cz
03-30-2005, 09:00 PM
An excellent point, but I doubt the majority of members are going to take the time to read, consider and reply to your post when it's so much easier to select their favourite pizza colour from a list. The same is true of most interesting threads.

Chris
03-30-2005, 09:05 PM
I do not care, whether people like me more or less...
I'm myself... that's all I ask of everyone, be yourself.

-N-
03-30-2005, 09:08 PM
Does that count as spam?

Caspian
03-30-2005, 09:09 PM
As far as intelligent discussion, that's the entire point of EoEO and World Events.

Why are you wading into the kiddie pool and telling them to grow up, when you could easily join the adults in the deep end? =)

Chris
03-30-2005, 09:11 PM
Does that count as spam?
Alas, this thread is crawling with spam.

Raistlin
03-30-2005, 09:28 PM
As far as intelligent discussion, that's the entire point of EoEO and World Events.

Why are you wading into the kiddie pool and telling them to grow up, when you could easily join the adults in the deep end? =)
It doesn't need to be intelligent. It could also just be funny, or interesting.

Nod
03-30-2005, 09:47 PM
i agree there are many favourite threads which are utter crap

Lone Wolf Leonhart
03-30-2005, 11:27 PM
Please, think more of the positives and less of the negatives!! In the end, it will all get better!!!

Tokki Wartooth
03-30-2005, 11:29 PM
But my favourite colour is pink. Clearly we can't be together.

kikimm
03-30-2005, 11:35 PM
Yeah, they are pretty...lame. So, I only post in them when I'm bored. And I think people only make them, when they are bored. So it's a vicious, never-ending cycle.

:D

-N-
03-31-2005, 12:47 AM
Alas, this thread is crawling with spam.
I like your font. I use in in IRC and Notepad and AIM.

Jojee
03-31-2005, 06:13 AM
Is it your favorite font? :p

-N-
03-31-2005, 06:14 AM
It's up there, yeah. :p

Chemical
03-31-2005, 08:19 PM

I go to some other forums... but really. The GC is my home, It's almost all I've ever known.

EoEo ->
I really hate all of you ;)

EoW ->
I'm too knew to global politics and wordly events to want to get stuck in over my head. I try to only speak about things I feel knowlegable in and passionate about.

Most of the topics I start or engage in are really theoretical, which leaves ample room for BSing personal interpretation.

Craig
03-31-2005, 08:27 PM
Favourite threads are pointless to me, the only reason I post in them is because it takes about 30 seconds.

Sephex
03-31-2005, 08:36 PM
Yeah, I often feel the same way. That's why I take long breaks from this forum. However, I feel like I won't need a break from here again in a long time.

Sepho
03-31-2005, 09:07 PM
The only real favorites threads I don't particularly care for are the 'favorite member' threads and the like.

There are a lot of social groups forming amongst the most recent waves of new members. It's not necessarily a bad thing - the forums can be a very social place, and it's good to see these guys making friends, but it's evident just how clique-ey it's become with all of these 'who do you like?' threads popping up everywhere. The same names occupy 1/3 of the posts in said threads. Moreover, there's always the converse, and these topics can spawn the likes of 'which member don't you like?', and that's just bad news bears.