PDA

View Full Version : New FFVIII game?

GibsonGoth131
03-30-2005, 04:38 PM
Since Square announced FFVII would be only the begining of their compilations, and FFVIII will eventually be their next step, what do you think the sequals would be about?

crazybayman
03-30-2005, 05:00 PM
Hopefully NOT a girl-power game with Rinoa, Selphie and Quistis as the main characters, and no main character males. :rolleyes2

Really though, it would be cool to see Seifer as the main character, finally coming to his senses, and having a complete change in attitude, while keeping his confidence.

Or maybe the son of Squall and Rinoa, following in his father's footsteps, after the tragic death of his parents.

Either would be the start of good storyline.

Destai
03-30-2005, 05:06 PM
Since Square announced FFVII would be only the begining of their compilations, and FFVIII will eventually be their next step, LINKS PLEASE :hyper:

Megami
03-30-2005, 08:17 PM
Hopefully NOT a girl-power game with Rinoa, Selphie and Quistis as the main characters, and no main character males. :rolleyes2

Why not? :D

lionhearted
03-30-2005, 08:49 PM
I have to agree with crazybayman - FFX-2 was a shamble of girl-orientated dancing - not what we want from a Final Fantasy. The storyline was not as good as the previous games, so please do not ask why the next version shouldn't be a girl-power game! :mad:

Destai
03-30-2005, 09:48 PM
LINKS PLEASE :hyper:

GibsonGoth131
03-30-2005, 11:21 PM
There are no plans that Square has released that I know of, but a quote from an article I read on the Tokyo Game Show. "Square Enix considers Compilation of Final Fantasy VII to be the company's first steps toward what it termed at this year's E3 to be "polymorphic content." Square Enix defines this strategy as "providing well-known properties on several platforms, allowing exposure of the products to as wide an audience as possible." You can read about it in the last paragraph Here (http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/dirgeofcerberusfinalfantasyvii/news_6108651.html) This obviously means Square wants to do more sequals to get more people into the other games to make more money bla bla bla. Of all sequals FFVII was an obvious first choice, next to come most likely FFVIII.. probaly AFTER FFXII though..

BackRoomKid
03-31-2005, 06:26 AM
i'd like an VIII sequal...I think it has enough story to pull it off, but for now...square-enix next to take baby steps with this whole "compilation" thing

AkiraMakie
03-31-2005, 07:04 AM
Really though, it would be cool to see Seifer as the main character, finally coming to his senses, and having a complete change in attitude, while keeping his confidence.

That would be cool. I remember way back in like 99 or 2000, one of the big rpg websites(cant remember which one) had an april fools joke up. Man it said that squaresoft was making a FFVIII-2 Staring seifer and his posse. i almost crapped my pants. The had "screenshots" and everything. i almost died when i realized it was only a joke.

Heath
03-31-2005, 10:41 AM
I really wouldn't like a sequel to FFVIII. I think the game is best left as it is (then again, I felt the same way about FFVII after Advent Children had been announced) because usually sequels fail to match the originals in quality (one exception to this would be the Empire Strikes Back).

It'll be interesting to see if it is true, though I don't have huge hopes for it. Though I'd prefer to see sources for this information. The article was mostly on about FFVII's sequels and the possibility of further ones.

disapointedchild
03-31-2005, 03:54 PM
What about a prequal, i always thought that might work out, not sure how though.

crazybayman
03-31-2005, 05:01 PM
What about a prequal, i always thought that might work out, not sure how though.

A prequel could work. It would probably have to be brand new characters, who did not in appear in VIII, at all.

Laguna, Kiros and Ward, their battle with Sorceress Adel and the sinking of Lunatic Pandora would be perfect for the prequel, but they were already used in VIII.

Kamrusepas
03-31-2005, 05:02 PM
Yay, Seifer-game :love:

Ultima Shadow
03-31-2005, 07:54 PM
I really wouldn't like a sequel to FFVIII. I think the game is best left as it is (then again, I felt the same way about FFVII after Advent Children had been announced) because usually sequels fail to match the originals in quality (one exception to this would be the Empire Strikes Back).

It'll be interesting to see if it is true, though I don't have huge hopes for it. Though I'd prefer to see sources for this information. The article was mostly on about FFVII's sequels and the possibility of further ones.
Agreed. However... if they will do a FFVIII sequal, then I would like it to be about Laguna, Kiros and Ward.

BackRoomKid
03-31-2005, 09:33 PM
yea, prequel does sound good

how Garden started
maybe how it was with sorceress adel
or maybe HOW IN THE H*LL Ultemicia came to be

Destination0
04-01-2005, 01:08 AM

lol...ditto

anyway I would love to see or play any sequals of FFVIII
but I wish my wish becomes reality

Rinoa Heartilly
04-01-2005, 04:36 PM
I think Final fantasy 8 is perfect as is.
I'd rather not see a sequel as it the chances of it ruining the story as it is now are greater than it contributing to it. If they were to do it, it would have to be with with the main characters children (but this would have to be really great to avoid joining the 'done to death' sequels that work this way). Or they'd have to go with a parallel story like in Kate Lorraine's "Mist over Winhill" (I forget the exact name, but it's a brilliant story, be sure to check it out) Either way it'd be hard to pull it off correctly and while if anyone can do it, it would be SE...I still have a rather large share of doubts
A prequel could work but I'm still not (all) for it.
Now if they were to make ff8 into a 3hour long movie that would work, and get a lot more people to appreciate the story maybe.
But I'm all for a remake :love: ffx style graphics and such *drool*
I just hope it's not on the gc but just on PS2...else I will have to buy a gamecube :eek:

Masamune·1600
04-01-2005, 08:10 PM
There are no plans that Square has released that I know of, but a quote from an article I read on the Tokyo Game Show. "Square Enix considers Compilation of Final Fantasy VII to be the company's first steps toward what it termed at this year's E3 to be "polymorphic content." Square Enix defines this strategy as "providing well-known properties on several platforms, allowing exposure of the products to as wide an audience as possible." You can read about it in the last paragraph Here (http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/dirgeofcerberusfinalfantasyvii/news_6108651.html) This obviously means Square wants to do more sequals to get more people into the other games to make more money bla bla bla. Of all sequals FFVII was an obvious first choice, next to come most likely FFVIII.. probaly AFTER FFXII though..

I strongly suspect you've misinterpreted the announcement. If the strategy is to "provide well-known properties on several platforms", it means only that they intend to distribute their products over several systems, and that much of the content will deal with pre-existing products and series. We've heard news regarding Final Fantasy (XII, the Compilation of VII, etc.), Dragon Warrior/Quest, and so on. As to multiple platforms, Dirge of Cerberus will be for PS2, Crisis Core for the PSP, FFIII for the Nintendo DS, and so forth. It seems to me that the announcement merely means that SE will use some of its more marketable assets and expose them to the public through a number of different media. As disappointing as you may find it, this in no way confirms any sort of work on an FFVIII compilation.

FFVIII Fan
04-01-2005, 09:01 PM
I strongly suspect you've misinterpreted the announcement. If the strategy is to "provide well-known properties on several platforms", it means only that they intend to distribute their products over several systems, and that much of the content will deal with pre-existing products and series. We've heard news regarding Final Fantasy (XII, the Compilation of VII, etc.), Dragon Warrior/Quest, and so on. As to multiple platforms, Dirge of Cerberus will be for PS2, Crisis Core for the PSP, FFIII for the Nintendo DS, and so forth. It seems to me that the announcement merely means that SE will use some of its more marketable assets and expose them to the public through a number of different media. As disappointing as you may find it, this in no way confirms any sort of work on an FFVIII compilation.
i hope ur wrong :cry:

crazybayman
04-02-2005, 02:53 PM

Sadly enough, I think you're right.

Del Murder
04-02-2005, 06:14 PM
FPS starring Laguna.

MrEvil
04-20-2005, 07:48 AM
A game starring Quistis and her rise to SeeD.
Possibly in real-time.

Delta
04-21-2005, 09:54 PM
I wouldn't mind a sequel a remake would be good.
With fancier graphics and stuff (Ieven thought of a way Real time combat would work).

BoyFromBalamb
04-23-2005, 05:03 AM
If there was a prequel to FF VIII made, I think it should be called
"Final Fantasy -VIII: Laguna's Story"

This, of course, would be the events leading up to Final Fantasy VIII and go more in depth with Julia, his adventures as a Galbadian soldier, settling down with Raine, Ellone, his adventures in Esthar, and Squall's birth.

If there was a prequel/sequelish game made to FF VIII, I think it should be called
"Final Fantasy VIII-2: Seifer's Eyes"

This would be Final Fantasy VIII through Seifer's point of view. It would detail his relationship with Rinoa, his possesion by Sorceresses Edea and Ultimecia, and the night of the ball (after they defeat Ultimecia, shown during the ending during the camera bit with Selphie).

I think that both would make excellent games.

Cloud775
04-23-2005, 06:10 AM
What's with the ideas of sequals these days? I do remember Gamespot talking about there going to be a Final Fantasy VIII-2.

ShivaBlizzard8
04-23-2005, 06:53 AM
As mentioned, if they ever do something to FF8, I would prefer a prequel, centering around Laguna and the first Sorceress War with Adel. I think it would also be interesting to include the biological parents of Quistis, Zell, Seifer, Selphie, etc in the storyline, since they all presumably were killed in the Sorceress War. Seifer's parents should be great heroes or somthing. . .

fire_of_avalon
04-23-2005, 07:24 AM
I really don't like the idea of any additions to this game. I think what a lot of people don't think about is the fact that in terms of sequels, the one thing you need is a way to resolve the original. Which means the original had to have a pretty open-ended finale in order to even MERIT a sequel. This is true for FFVII, but not FFVIII. We know what happens to all the characters.

And my only argument against a prequel... well I just don't want them too cause I'm greedy. However, given the storyline of FFVIII, I do strongly believe it could very easily have a prequel sprouting from any number of areas, and on any number of platforms. How Ellone came to her power, the first sorceress war, Laguna's story, Laguna's story BEFORE he was a Galbadian soldier, heck you could even feasibly do a game on Selphie or Irvine and their adventures before their roles in FFVIII. That would be kinda funny. :D

Luthien
05-12-2005, 02:53 PM
As mentioned, if they ever do something to FF8, I would prefer a prequel, centering around Laguna and the first Sorceress War with Adel. I think it would also be interesting to include the biological parents of Quistis, Zell, Seifer, Selphie, etc in the storyline, since they all presumably were killed in the Sorceress War. Seifer's parents should be great heroes or somthing. . .

Yeah, that would be cool. I´ve always wondered how the gang ended in Edea´s orphanage...

Mercen-X
05-12-2005, 09:51 PM
An action-adventure prequel starring Selphie and Irvine.

Gwelenguchenkus
05-13-2005, 02:07 AM
They could make something centering around the time when Ultimecia is in power. They could make up a whole bunch of stuff on the conflicts of the time, say a giant war or something. If they had people fighting against Ultimecia, I'm not sure what their cause would be, but it wouldn't be to stop Ultimecia, it has to be something deeper.

It would be like a 'chrono cross'-esque sequel, only many generations into the future. Maybe there would be space colonies and stuff, adn cities!

Whee!!

SnoopyG
05-13-2005, 06:13 AM
A action,adventure,rpg with seifer as the main character would be nice.

DMKA
05-13-2005, 06:37 AM
Hopefully non-exsistant, like it is now.

Kamiko
05-15-2005, 04:20 AM
Squall and Seifer will finally reveal their love for each other and decapitate Rinoa! Can I get a Hallelujah!!?

Mercen-X
05-15-2005, 08:28 AM
Rinoa without a head!? Ahhhh! . . . I think I'm gonna be sick.

Kamiko
05-15-2005, 08:37 AM
Sorry Merc.... I ate too much sushi... my brain is raw...

DMKA
05-15-2005, 08:47 AM
Squall and Seifer will finally reveal their love for each other and decapitate Rinoa! Can I get a Hallelujah!!?
And then all the fangirls will have to select a different FF to fanfic? :D

Kamiko
05-15-2005, 09:19 AM
Most definately. I wonder if Cloud and Sephiroth make out in AC... because I saw a pic of Barrett and Tifa so that means CLoud should go with...
(A prime example of Kamiko's twisted logic)