PDA

View Full Version : Most overated commentator in sports.

Dingo Jellybean
03-30-2005, 08:47 PM
My award goes to Dick Vitale.

Seriously, this guy stinks. No matter how bad a team is, he always praises them for their "hard work and guts." As much as I love the ACC, Dick Vitale gives too much love to the ACC...and too much to Duke, which is why some people nick name him Duke Vitale.

Honestly, his articles on ESPN are a waste of time with little insight. All he talks about are "trifectas and rolls royce baby!" Honestly though, his personality is kind of over the top. I don't enjoy his commentary at all and he's too loud and watches too much ACC basketball to really provide insight on teams from other conferences.

Even though Billy Packer is an ACC guy, at least he actually knows what he's talking about. Dick Vitale, ugh...ESPN needs to ship this guy somewhere else...I hate it when he keeps doing the Maryland-Duke games.

-N-
03-30-2005, 09:13 PM
Vin Scully - LA Dodgers radio broadcaster.

<i>"And the Dodgers have blown the game wide open here in the sixth with Mike Piazza smashing a one-out double and bringing home Eric Karros to make it 3-1! I haven't seen a blowout like this since I was a young spring chicken in '65!"</i>

eestlinc
03-30-2005, 09:29 PM
Chris Berman by far.

Dingo Jellybean
03-30-2005, 10:10 PM
Chris Berman by far.

Isn't he just an anchor? Not unless he commentates on games in some region I'm not aware of.

Orestes
03-30-2005, 10:15 PM
As soon as I saw the title of this thread two words came to my mind: Dick Vitale. He seems to always be in favor of whoever's number one - I'm damn tired of hearing his voice. He is most definitely not awesome with a capital a, baby.

Masamune·1600
03-30-2005, 10:15 PM
Haha...as soon as I saw the thread subject, I knew someone was going to bring up Dick Vitale. Oh, well, it's probably true.

eestlinc
03-30-2005, 10:19 PM
Isn't he just an anchor? Not unless he commentates on games in some region I'm not aware of.

I have had the grave misfortune of listening to him announce baseball games on ESPN.

Kirobaito
03-30-2005, 11:10 PM
I have a few.

Dick Vitale - I want to kill myself whenever I hear his voice
Keith Jackson - Yes, I know he's a broadcasting legend, but I've never really liked his voice
Ron Fairly- OK, not overrated, but bad.

Crazy the Clown
03-31-2005, 12:00 AM
Dick Vitale, hands down.

If I hear him say, "Awesome, baby," one more time, I am going to go violently insane.

The Captain
03-31-2005, 12:09 AM
Berman has called more than a few games on ESPN. I think they still grossly under use Harold Reynolds.

I've never really liked the way Walt "Clyde" Frazier calls the Knicks games as he has that Vitale problem of making EVERYTHING sound absolutely amazing and needlessly jazzing up phrases.

Take care all.

Kirobaito
03-31-2005, 02:53 AM
Oh yes, I forgot about the Mavs senior correspondent BoBb Ortegel. He says stupid stuff all the time, but in the game today he said, "The Celtics will want to go to Ricky Davis for most of this third quarter on offense because of his ability to score the ball."

magus19
03-31-2005, 03:12 AM
Vin Scully - LA Dodgers radio broadcaster.

<i>"And the Dodgers have blown the game wide open here in the sixth with Mike Piazza smashing a one-out double and bringing home Eric Karros to make it 3-1! I haven't seen a blowout like this since I was a young spring chicken in '65!"</i>

Now just wait a second

Vin Scully is perhaps THE BEST BASEBALL comentator in the U.S. Calling him overrated is like calling Chick Hern Overated.

An as for my pick, its gotta be John Madden.
His Voice just gets on my nerves

Dingo Jellybean
04-02-2005, 02:18 AM
As least there is somewhat of a general consensus that Dick Vitale must go. I'm an ACC guy, but Dick Vitale goes overboard with it. If he has kids, he probably nick named them Duke and North Carolina.

Venom65437
04-02-2005, 05:03 AM
I have a few, but I'll limit it to just one. Bob Costas, I absolutely, positively, can NOT stand him. I wish someone would cut his vocal chords so I'd never have to hear him talk again.

eestlinc
04-02-2005, 05:06 AM
I like Dick Vitale. I also like Bob Costas.

Venom65437
04-02-2005, 05:09 AM
I forgot to mention I do really like Dick Vitale. Even if he might be somewhat bias, I love the energy he brings, you can tell he absolutely loves his job.

Skogs
04-02-2005, 10:18 AM
Every Sky Sports presenter.

DMKA
04-02-2005, 12:01 PM
John Madden

Dingo Jellybean
04-03-2005, 03:23 AM
I forgot to mention I do really like Dick Vitale. Even if he might be somewhat bias, I love the energy he brings, you can tell he absolutely loves his job.

There's no denying Vitale loves his job. That doesn't mean, to me at least, that he does a good job. Too biased to really be a great announcer.

Strider
04-03-2005, 08:50 AM
*smacks Walker*

Keith Jackson? Have you any shame?

Anyway, my vote goes to Joe Buck. He's just awful.

Storm
04-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Bob Cole from "Hockey Night in Canada". What will it take to get this guy into retirement? {Aside from the NHL lockout}