PDA

View Full Version : Stand up and fight!

Del Murder
03-31-2005, 04:51 AM
In order to avoid a repeat of yesterday, I'm not going to speak my views on Yamaneko stepping down and the pathetic drama that drove him to step down, or bring attention to it. I saved that all for a locked LJ entry. My question is about injustice, and standing up for what you believe in. Have you ever stood up for an injustice or cause that you believed in? If so, tell us how it went. It can be online, but try to focus on offline things to avoid parallels to recent events. That pie is way too hot right now and needs to sit on the windowsill a bit longer.

Kirobaito
03-31-2005, 04:52 AM
I stand up for justice, fighting bad guys day in and day out. Go Texas!

Flamethrower
03-31-2005, 04:53 AM
No, I'm usually spineless. I need to work on that.

eestlinc
03-31-2005, 04:57 AM
"Your Honor, years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free."

kikimm
03-31-2005, 05:11 AM
Fortunately, or unfortunately, I've never really been placed in a situation where Iv;e had to do so. At least, in a situation that actually mattered, and was serious. When I am, thuogh, I'd like to say that I would stand up for what I believe in. I'm not a huge fan of caving in, but I'll never truly know until this happens.

:D

Hawkeye
03-31-2005, 05:15 AM
I stand up for what I think is right, even if I stand alone.

Shlup
03-31-2005, 05:21 AM
I stand up for what I believe in, and am able to do so without acting like a childish jackass. Contrary to the way some people seem to think, you can just keep pushing until your voice is heard without acting inappropriately.

For example, I've spent the past few months writing letters to my school about the ways their housing staff and their policies are more of a problem than a solution. I wrote several letters, which were ignored. I kept writing to different people, until I recently recievieved a response from the Dean of Housing promsing to have a conference with people I had mentioned in my letters, and I feel confident that he'll keep his word. Go me!

edczxcvbnm
03-31-2005, 05:29 AM
Look who you are talking to for crying out loud! WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK?!?!?!?

Shlup
03-31-2005, 05:32 AM
Look who you are talking to for crying out loud! WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK?!?!?!?
That you don't think anything is right because you're nuts and will just rant and rave about anything? I thought so.

Miriel
03-31-2005, 05:33 AM
Ah, nothing like times of trouble to either band people together or tear them apart.

My Junior year in High School, my jackass Principal decided that of all the art programs, of all the sports, and of all the extracirriculars, Dance team should be the one to get cut from the Budget.

22 angry teenage girls is not a pretty sight. I'm proud of having stood up for what I thought was a huge injustice when a lot of people around me shrugged and gave up.

Tooth and nail man, tooth and nail.

edczxcvbnm
03-31-2005, 05:34 AM
That you don't think anything is right because you're nuts and will just rant and rave about anything? I thought so.

Damns. I have been caught. OH NOES! You only wish that was true because it would make my actions here easier to handle....:evil: :superevil: :ULTRAEVIL:

fire_of_avalon
03-31-2005, 05:37 AM
I stand up for what I believe in, and am able to do so without acting like a childish jackass. Contrary to the way some people seem to think, you can just keep pushing until your voice is heard without acting inappropriately.

Word.

-N-
03-31-2005, 05:44 AM
I'm really passive about a lot of things, and don't care about much, but I suppose I do have a few hot buttons that I'll stand up to defend if I feel threatened.

I'm a very public figure at my college, and as a result I am constantly faced by a lot of external pressure to perform certain duties and by my own internal pressure for perfection. However, I am not afraid to deny people when I deem their requests to be unnecessary. I've gotten just about everything from arranging for someone to be intentionally injured to selling illegal substances to giving out alcohol to just about anything else. And there are times that a lot of people think I am their friend, because I am a very friendly person, but again, I am not afraid to simply tell them "No, I will not do this; you and your request do not mean that much to me." Giving specific examples would endanger my relationships with people here, but that's the best I can offer.

I don't know if I would consider "stepping down" an appropriate response to pressure as much as I would consider "stepping up". Again, I don't know the full drama, and I won't inquire (well, maybe a little :p), but whatever.

Del Murder
03-31-2005, 05:51 AM
Best to let things you don't know lie. Yams is a great man and what you people have done to him is despicable.

I think I'm going to fight for the day the word edczxcvbnm is in the dictionary.

-N-
03-31-2005, 05:53 AM
Me? :( I like Yams.

Jojee
03-31-2005, 05:57 AM
I don't think you should make obscure references and not tell us the whole story, tis' cruel :(

When I find a cause that I really care about, I do stand up for it ^^ Normally I just let others stand up for it, though.

Calliope
03-31-2005, 05:58 AM
I have a training thingdo on Saturday so that I can argue betterer.

Meat Puppet
03-31-2005, 06:00 AM
Last time I stood up for what I believed in, the long arm of the law beat me down. :(

Del Murder
03-31-2005, 06:01 AM
Me? :( I like Yams.
Sorry, I didn't mean to get into it, and I didn't mean you specifically. It was a general outcry at the foolish and naiive way people choose to conduct themselves. I'm going to be quiet now.

Kirobaito
03-31-2005, 06:01 AM
Wklf: We always do. :cool:

edczxcvbnm
03-31-2005, 06:02 AM
Best to let things you don't know lie. Yams is a great man and what you people have done to him is despicable.

I think I'm going to fight for the day the word edczxcvbnm is in the dictionary.

I don't know why he stepped down or if I was part of the problem...yeah.

If edczxcvbnm ever makes it into the dictionary...then my mark will be left on history forever. That would be so awesome ;_;

That adias commercial is awesome man. The one where they guy is jumping through darkness and walking on walls. Its just so unique and cool.

Meat Puppet
03-31-2005, 06:03 AM
I'm a cowboy for the other side of the law. But not the bad one. :shifty:

Calliope
03-31-2005, 06:04 AM
Dammit Tony, you're always quiet.

Okay I miss talking to Sarah while you would do your homework now.

Yamaneko
03-31-2005, 06:31 AM
No, I don't fight for what I believe in. I'm pretty much a spineless coward.

The Captain
03-31-2005, 07:05 AM
Far too often in the world, people ARE indeed too passive and don't stand up to let their voices be heard. Instead, it seems, that the responsibility to shoulder the burdens is always constantly pushed onto someone else so long as it's not us. So much loss can be prevented if more people stood up against the oppressions of the world, stood up to look something in the eye and declare it a lie or an injustice. It may take a few to start the process, but others must follow or else all is doomed to repeat inself in an endless spiral of misery and hatred.

I've often been far more than reckless in standing up for things and have landed myself in my fair share of hot water and other situations with those in power, but through it all, the single thing that I cling to is the belief that in some small way, one single voice can be the spark that starts it all. If even one person continues to voice outrage, to voice their anger at the injustices of the world, eventually it will be heard. Though it may seem that so much falls on deaf ears these days, the world cannot stay deaf forever.

For people being killed everyday in countries that never make the news, for racism, sexism, stereotypes, needless hatred based on ideology that attempts to drive a stake right through the heart of love, peace and equality, this endless struggle to stand up and speak out must always continue and be pushed forward, striving to grasp that last bit of light and make the flame ever larger, not be eternally extinguished.

In the end, perhaps it all will be in vain, but to just give up without trying, without even attempting to make that difference is a graver defeat than losing in a cause you believe can change the world for the better, to a world where hatred really is but a dream and our dreams are the true reality of the moment, where hope heals all and where we can all live together.

Take care all.

Polaris
03-31-2005, 09:34 AM
I fight for what I think is correct and acceptable... I never fought for smth that was unfair ofr anybody...

Old Manus
03-31-2005, 09:50 AM
If one is right, everyone else must be wrong.

Ko Ko
03-31-2005, 10:01 AM
Um. Pie.
Well, I don't often raise my voice out of a crowd. Usually it doesn't matter. But alot of the time, I have to take charge of the situation for something to happen.
Lately, there have been Racism incidents in this country. Sometimes a person, usually a hapless teenager, will burn the US flag and preach to the crowds about how 'we must destroy America'.
I've seen this far too much to leave it behind, so when one of these was going the other day, I became intesly irritated.
So I walked up to him and took his microphone away. I turned around to the crowd and spoke about how it isn't America you're hating, if indeed you truly hate them. America has done alot for this world's economy and development. What they are hating is the American government; and right now, most of the USA hates thier own government too. I peresonally could care less about these sort of situations; for it has nothing to do with me. But many agreed. Others came and spoke; braving it after my daring apporach.
It was stupid of me to do, I know. And it is embarrassing. But I just couldn't stand to hear one more protest about why the USA is the new communism.

Destai
03-31-2005, 10:23 AM
Im normally quiet but if someone says something that I dont agree with or that I know is wrong 9/10 I'll stand up and argue for it even if I find Im extremely embarressed as I argue.

Citizen Bleys
03-31-2005, 10:29 AM
We lost Yams?

Fuck. And no, I did not type "s-m-u-r-f"

udsuna
03-31-2005, 10:50 AM
My theory is, when someone tries to block your way, then they make good stepping stones. All's fair in love and war, but the fight for one's belief is both in the same.

Raistlin
03-31-2005, 11:01 AM
Yams. ;_;

I do so, will continue to do so. In a way that doesn't involve GC having a ton of locked threads. :p

boris no no
03-31-2005, 12:05 PM
i try to stand up for somethings. but unfortunatly i am pretty much a coward and i get scared over acertive people.
at work i tried to make the checkout operators job easier. i told a shop floor staff off because he wasn't listening to the calls on the tannoy. he got upset, i was told i did something wrong, i speant 15 mins in the toilets crying. :cry:
i just cannot stand up to people. it's very hard for me.

Yams ;_;

Social Moon Firesky
03-31-2005, 12:16 PM
I stand up for my firends if someone is being mean to them. And I believe in animal rights, so I go on lots of rallies and stuff. I'm a strict pacifist though. Violence is BAD.

Ko Ko
03-31-2005, 12:17 PM
Yams?

Social Moon Firesky
03-31-2005, 12:19 PM
Yamaneko.

theundeadhero
03-31-2005, 01:28 PM
I am incredibly passive about a lot of things, so when something I care about becomes violated I fight for it with a ferocity none would expect out of me.

Clouded Sky
03-31-2005, 02:57 PM
i love you yams.
i generally try to stand up for what i believe in. sometimes i'd let it slide if it was this girl I totally like. But now, I've been more like "screw you, just because I like you doesn't mean you're always right." sometimes i do have pathetic arguements to back myself up, but that doesn't weaken my resolve.

Social Moon Firesky
03-31-2005, 03:13 PM
Some things you just have to stand up for. Other things you have to put up with. Like the jerks at school...*Plots against jerks*

Cz
03-31-2005, 04:58 PM
Yams is gone? That's just awful. :(

I'd like to be able to say that I stand up for my beliefs whenever I feel something is wrong, but all too often that isn't the case. I tend to leave things be for longer than I should, only stepping in when the situation has become intolerable.

There are exceptions of course, and if an issue is important enough to me then I'll fight for what I feel is right. However, some things I will grudgingly concede to avoid a conflict. It might be a weak decision, but I prefer to let the less important issues slide if it prevents unecessary argument.

Social Moon Firesky
03-31-2005, 05:14 PM
I'd fight for a worthwhile government, instead of some corrupt individual dictating to us what we are going to do. At this rate, anarchy would be better than our present British government, and I don't even believe that it works!

Citizen Bleys
03-31-2005, 05:16 PM
Bring back Maggie Thatcher! ^^

boris no no
03-31-2005, 05:17 PM
Bring back Maggie Thatcher! ^^
milk snatcher! :p

Social Moon Firesky
03-31-2005, 05:18 PM
Bring on the Lib Dems! *Throws turnips at Hard Labour and the Conservatories*

Del Murder
04-01-2005, 01:36 AM
Casualties are sad, but the war goes on.

eestlinc
04-01-2005, 01:41 AM
the best thing about destruction is the room it makes for new growth!

Yamaneko
04-01-2005, 01:41 AM
Cancer always comes back.

Del Murder
04-01-2005, 01:45 AM
What about the cat?

Yamaneko
04-01-2005, 01:51 AM
Not if you make him into a tennis racket first.

Del Murder
04-01-2005, 01:52 AM
Still got it. :up:

Social Moon Firesky
04-01-2005, 07:15 PM
:confused: Meh.

Chemical
04-01-2005, 07:55 PM
Every chance I get.

Though I and all of you are very lucky in our circumstances. For when we do stand up there is little chance that our protests will be met with violence...

I think it would be much harder to stand up for my beliefs if there was a 99% chance I'd be kissed by a bullet from an Automatic.

This topic makes me think of the image of a student from the infamous Tiananmen Square. Very inspiring and moving.

The man stood unwavering and alone in the middle of the road as the tanks approached him. He appeared to be holding two bags of some sort, one in each hand. As the tanks came to a stop, he appeared to be trying to wave them away. In response, the front tank attempted to drive around the man, but the man repeatedly stepped into the path of the tank. After about half an hour of blocking the tanks, the man climbed up onto the top of the lead tank and had a conversation with the driver. Reports of what were said to the driver vary, including "Why are you here? My city is in chaos because of you"; "Go back, turn around, and stop killing my people"; "Go away". Finally, anxious onlookers pulled the man down and absorbed him into the crowd and the tanks continued on their way

http://www.asianamericans.com/TiananmenSquareJune51989.jpg

I really appreciate my democratic freedoms... I hope in time that men like this will too.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the events in Tiananmen square. -> <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiananmen_Square_protests_of_1989"> Check This Out </a>

Social Moon Firesky
04-01-2005, 07:57 PM
Did the guy actually get run over? My mum says he didn't.

Chemical
04-01-2005, 08:03 PM
No, he didn't. I edited the above post to include more detail on the actual incident.

Still, it's such a powerful image of the human ability to be fearless in the face of such ghastly injustice.

-N-
04-01-2005, 10:39 PM
I thought he was run over.

Social Moon Firesky
04-02-2005, 09:04 PM
I'm glad he wasn't squished. You're right about the power of it though. I feel all tingly inside...*Ponders*