PDA

View Full Version : First Blitzball game

Sasquatch
04-01-2005, 04:40 AM
Is there any way to win? I've played it twice (restarted from last save when I lost it...yeah, cheap, but oh well), and lost both times. The first time was 1-0, and the second was 3-2. But they got some pretty ridiculous shots, so I'm thinking they have to win. Or do I just suck at it?

And if you do win, does it change anything? Do you get something for it, or anything like that?

So what I'm asking is...Is there any point to me playing the first game again to win it, or will losing it make absolutely no difference?

sakuraV
04-01-2005, 04:52 AM
i think it doesnt really matter for the first game, but we should win for wakka. If i remember correct there's no point to win the first game. I won it first time playing, just take it easy passing around and let tidus shoot, keep the score 0-0. After that, halftime, put jecht shot in and start to score before 3rd minute. When wakka come in u'll lose even easier, just keep passing around and keep time. As long as they dont have ball, they cant score though. If u have chance just use wakka for some shoot. Good luck

Spammerman
04-01-2005, 04:58 AM
I won.IM also undefeated at blitzball

I Don't Need A Name
04-01-2005, 02:57 PM
im undefeated as well! all it does is make a new scene with wakka and the cup and extended scene on mi'hen highroad and you get a strenghth sphere

Sasquatch
04-01-2005, 03:18 PM
I tried a couple things, but sometimes they just wouldn't work right. I'll try again though, just for the hell of it. And I'll try to pass/shoot sometimes when nobody's around me, and as soon as I press the damn button, they're all over me, and I've got to break through some of 'em to do anything.

crazybayman
04-01-2005, 03:23 PM
The first time I played FFX, I lost that game, and the second time I played FFX, I won it.

It is a little more difficult to win that match, as most of your Auroch original players pretty much suck, except for Tidus. You just have to get used to Blitzball to win that game. A little practice, and you'll pull it off.

After that, you can sign whoever is a free agent, stack your team, and go undefeated.

Old Manus
04-01-2005, 04:41 PM
I beat the Luca Goers in the first match 5-0. But I don't want to brag. The best way is to KEEP THE BALL. Switch the control to manual, and pass it around. When you get the chance, make a mad rush around one side wall until you get close in, then look at the map to make sure there are not many players after you (two maximum), then pass to Tidus, who will promptly dash up to the goal, and use the Jecht Shot.

GOAL

Ultimate99997
04-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Is it just me or is the game completely unfair with the shot statistics.
The first game was incredibly annoying for me because the ball would be shot upwards...caught immediately by the luca goers, then came my feeble attempt to get the ball off of them with by weak characters.....they shoot and score amazingly from half way.
Even when playing normally with a good team I found that when doing...say - a shot with Tidus...the shot strength decreases rapidly as it floats towards the goal
Whearas I see the opposing shooter shoot the ball from about the same distance and the strength statistic seems to hold steady for AGES!!!!!!!

here is an example....tidus, shoot....starting strength 49.......hit.........42..........35..........22.........saved by goaly.

and the opposing shooter................shoot.....starting strength 49....hit......47........46.........43.......GOAL.

IS IT JUST ME OR DOES ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCE THIS TOO?

SeeDRankLou
04-01-2005, 05:01 PM
Even when playing normally with a good team I found that when doing...say - a shot with Tidus...the shot strength decreases rapidly as it floats towards the goal
Whearas I see the opposing shooter shoot the ball from about the same distance and the strength statistic seems to hold steady for AGES!!!!!!!
It's a tech called Golden Arm. It allows the player when they pass or shoot for that stat to decrease slower.

For the first game, I just kept the ball away from the Goers if I could. The Goers would do some rather stupid moves, one time Bickson tried to get a shot from the mid-field area. Which gave the ball to me. Just pass a lot, especially to and from Tidus to get him to level 3 before half-time, it doesn't take all that much. Then at half-time equip Tidus with the Jecht Shot and make a goal or two. Then when Wakka comes in, try to make one more goal with the Venom Shot. You should be able to pull it off. But then again it all depends on how smart the AI decides to be for the Goers.

Ultimate99997
04-01-2005, 05:03 PM
my Tidus had the golden arm ability equipped but I still experienced the difference somewhat.

CaptRory
04-01-2005, 05:18 PM
When I finally won the first game it went into overtime. The score was 1:1 and I got lucky and scored first.

Your first priority is to get Tidus leveled up so he can use a special technique. Just keep passing the ball between them, it's also a decent way to keep the other team from scoring. If you keep control of the ball and stick with safe passing your characters will gain xp and might level up for a chance at winning in the second half. For Tidus you'll either be using the Jecht Shot or the Sphere Shot depending on the outcome of the minigame on the boat. Don't be concerned about the cost of using special skills, keep shooting. Halfway through the second half Tidus leaves and Wakka comes in so you have a fresh player. Between the two you should be able to score a point or two. And if you managed to keep control of the ball the entire first half the opposing team shouldn't have scored.

SeeDRankLou
04-01-2005, 06:31 PM
my Tidus had the golden arm ability equipped but I still experienced the difference somewhat.
Is it possible that you have Tackle Slip, and in dodging a few tackles you got dissoriented and thus the Golden Arm tech got removed from active techs?

Heath
04-01-2005, 07:20 PM
My best score was a 3-1 win, but that was in my second playthrough. Lost 2-0 the first time.

Spammerman
04-01-2005, 11:00 PM
im undefeated as well! all it does is make a new scene with wakka and the cup and extended scene on mi'hen highroad and you get a strenghth sphere

i wish they would make it on live. Then we could battle in blitzball.BY the way, wats your highest score

rubah
04-02-2005, 06:35 AM
Even after having a million games of blitzball under my belt and a good idea of what i was doing, it still took four tries to beat those stupid goers-_-

Old Manus
04-02-2005, 08:55 PM
It's a shame that the Goers become pretty bad once you get to about level 20. It's the Psyches that will REALLY wind you up. After that it's the Glories, then at around lvl 99, all the teams have so many players from other teams even the Kilika Beasts pose a challenge.

Sasquatch
04-03-2005, 05:20 AM
Alright, finally beat those buggers. Played through it another 3 times...first time, they beat me 3-2, and then the second game, I forced into double overtime at 1-1, and those bastards scored (from a long shot, I was pissed) with less than a minute left. Then I wanted to go to bed, but I figured I'd try it one more time, and finally got to use the Jecht Shot, which scored, and then Wakka scored the second goal at 4:24 to take a 2-1 lead, which I held. It's about damn time.

Anything else useful that I can get from Blitzball, or is it just made to be a fun little side-game? Could I get another aeon, or more spheres, or better weapons or something from it? Or would it be playing just to play?

CaptRory
04-03-2005, 04:59 PM
Wakka learns his Overdrives by winning them from Blitzball tournaments and seasons. Also, while that first game is frustratingly hard, from there on it gets easier and more fun.

Del Murder
04-03-2005, 07:20 PM
The only difference I noticed is the scene where Wakka holds the trophy. I don't think you get anything useful. Jecht Shot is the key to winning this game.

CaptRory
04-03-2005, 07:34 PM
I didn't get the Jecht Shot on the boat. I had to win with the Sphere Shot. It was a miracle I won.

Also, you get an item for Wakka's Celestial Weapon from Blitzball.

Del Murder
04-03-2005, 07:35 PM
Yeah, but you don't have to win the first game to get it.

CaptRory
04-03-2005, 07:41 PM
It was an addition to my previous post answering Sasquatch's question "Anything else useful that I can get from Blitzball, or is it just made to be a fun little side-game? Could I get another aeon, or more spheres, or better weapons or something from it? Or would it be playing just to play??"

Sasquatch
04-04-2005, 04:59 AM
Played more today. You're right, it does get easier and more fun. Played seven games, won five, tied two, lost none.

How many games are in a season? I started playing, figuring I could play a couple games, end up on top, and get some prizes, but haven't gotten anything yet. I might do some tourneys and exhibition and such, but I want to figure out how many games it takes until I can start getting stuff for it.

Tidus has 18 goals, in seven games...the 2nd place guy has like 5.

And I'm still playing with all the guys from the original Aurochs. Wakka doesn't come back in, does he?

Here's another question. If Tidus is supposed to be the "star player" of such a great team, why the hell does he suck so damn much in the beginning?

And yeah, it's not just the scene with Wakka holding the trophy instead of a ball, if you win, you get a Strength Sphere.

CaptRory
04-04-2005, 04:50 PM
I don't remember exactly how many games are in a season. You can re-sign Wakka later on in the game. That's all I'll say I don't wanna reveal anything you might not know.

If you look around you'll find in depth guides to Blitzball, I know there's one on www.gamefaqs.com I played with the basic Aurochs for quite awhile before I began replacing them. Towards the end I still had two or three of them +Wakka.

Shoden
04-04-2005, 05:14 PM
i always fail the jecht shot mini game

i Always lose 5-0 to them friggers the goers

i hate blitzball thats why i suck at it

but i have wondered what happens if you do win the the luca tournament

DeBlayde
04-05-2005, 08:48 AM
I'd like to know if there's any ways or means of keeping Whiney-dus in the first game. I've observed that if you score 2 goals in the second half of the first game that Whiney-dus does a little jig thing and gets immediately replaced by Wakka.

if I were to score some goals in the first half of the game, would Tidus not get replaced? say 2 in the first half and 2 in the second?

Blitzer Lionheart
04-05-2005, 10:56 AM
I suffered impossibly the first time (2-1, into 'extra time'). The second time, however, I won (3-2, extra time).

Gotta love the Jecht Shot.

I Don't Need A Name
04-05-2005, 03:29 PM
i won 3-2 (extra time) with Jecht shot! Going a bit off topic but ive seen that you can get Jecht Shot 2! has any1 got it (none of my players could learn it) i thought there was only one Jecht Shot

T-MaN
04-05-2005, 05:17 PM
i won 3-2 (extra time) with Jecht shot! Going a bit off topic but ive seen that you can get Jecht Shot 2! has any1 got it (none of my players could learn it) i thought there was only one Jecht Shot
Yup i have it, but it requires a HELL lot of hp

Fireblade13
04-06-2005, 09:20 PM
I heard you get a weopen for the first game. I hate the a so aurochs so much. I went up to the airship then I started getting serious about blitzball. I reset the data and used my gil to buy the best starting team of free agents.
Wedge, Brother, Wakka, Kyou, Zalitz, Kumal! I had nedus but 30 speed is so funny to watch.

T-MaN
04-07-2005, 01:29 AM
I heard you get a weopen for the first game. I hate the a so aurochs so much. I went up to the airship then I started getting serious about blitzball. I reset the data and used my gil to buy the best starting team of free agents.
Wedge, Brother, Wakka, Kyou, Zalitz, Kumal! I had nedus but 30 speed is so funny to watch.
You took out the whole team??? Whoa, you must really hate the Aurochs :eek: . What about using Tidus, he's pretty useful with his Jecht Shot.

Sasquatch
04-07-2005, 05:04 AM
My Tidus has like 26 SHT now (why didn't they just make that "SH"? ;) ), and like 23 Endurance--I use him for prettymuch all of my shots. He's always the leading scorer, and he usually has at least three times the number of points as the second place scorer. At least four a game, and almost all of my recent games have been shut-outs. I did play against the Goers, though, in an Exhibition, and they scored once, but Tidus scored 8.

Where can I get new people? I'm only at the Djose Temple now, but I want to replace some of the guys, because I only have the original Aurochs, and Botta and Datto are suckin' it up somethin' fierce.

I just did an Exhibition because I saw the first place prize was the Jecht Shot 2. I won (of course), and I didn't have anybody on my team that could learn it! Why didn't they TELL me that Tidus must not have been at a high enough level? Those bastards.

I'm also using Tidus a lot because I don't care to improve many of my other players, because I know I'll be getting rid of most of 'em. Keepa ain't bad, but there's no way I can get him experience personally.

CaptRory
04-07-2005, 07:13 AM
Go to gamefaqs there's comprehensive Blitzball guide there. As for leveling up your goalie, find someone to replace him and stick him in with the other players and pass the ball back and forth to him.

*Edited to fix a typo. I don't know what a Blotzball is but I'm sure I wouldn't want to play with one.*

The Sixth Dragon
04-07-2005, 08:51 PM
Just ask people if they want to play for you when you go through your journey. Also remember to put training your party first so then it will be easier to get past bosses thus meaning you can get the airship then get to sign players