PDA

View Full Version : Exchange rate of Gil?

TheSpoonyBard
04-01-2005, 08:18 PM
What do you think the modern day exchange rate of Gil should be? I'd say that there are 10 Gil in every £1 (I believe the equivalent of that in dollars is around 5 Gil in every $1.) This does mean that some games are considerably more expensive than others, but the amount of Gil you receive from battle is relative.

That brings me onto another topic I have been wondering about. How do the characters get Gil from defeating enemies? Why would a monster be walking around carrying a wallet? This issue was 'addressed' in FFVIII with the introduction of a SeeD salary, but then it returned to the previous method in FFIX.

Any thoughts?

Masamune·1600
04-01-2005, 08:31 PM
If you were to use a real world exchange rate, I think you would have to alter it for each game, based on how similar items are priced. FF inflation, I suppose. It would also be useful to attempt to compare the prices of commodities that have real world equivalents (i.e. inn costs, etc.). Ultimately, though, I don't think an effective conversion can be reached.

Why monsters have gil? I would imagine there's no real reason. It's probably just the simplest way for the player to acquire gil based on game mechanics.

DJZen
04-01-2005, 08:36 PM
1 GBP = 1.88057 USD

According to my Museum Replicas Ltd. catalog, a simple dagger ranges in price from about $80 to $130. Let's average that one off to $110 (there's more in the $100-$120 range than anything). In FFI, the most basic dagger costs 5 Gil. This suggests to me that a good frame of reference for Gil is this:

1 Gil = 0.04545 USD

Give or take a few tenths of a cent depending on economic fluctuations. You could probably approximate it to 5 cents per Gil. With current exchange rates, 5 cents is worth .0265899 GBP (I have no clue of what sort of crazy nonsensical money system you filthy heathens use for fractions of a pound), which you could round off to about .03. In other words;

1 Gil = .03 GBP = .05 USD

Gil aren't really worth much, it seems. Maybe their economy was destabilized by that whole "monsters attacking villages" thing.

TheSpoonyBard
04-01-2005, 08:44 PM
The "crazy nonsensical money system" you so kindly speak of uses 'pence' or 'pennies' as fractions of a pound.

I was basing it on the assumption that a 50G Potion in FFVII would cost £5, and weapon upgrades in FFVIII cost between £10 and £200. Although there is very little continuity between games it seems most likely that Gil is not, as DJZen says, equal to the value of a single Yen.

DJZen
04-01-2005, 09:03 PM
When did I say anything about Yen?

Masamune·1600
04-01-2005, 10:20 PM
You can't find a real world equivalent. Look, for example, to FFVII. We see the villa sold for 300,000 gil, which would seem to suggest relative similarity between the gil and dollar. At least, one can interpret that as such. However, we see that a "Today's Special" meal at the restaurant in Wall Market costs 70 gil, which certainly seems very extravagent given the appearance of the restaurant. These are at least somewhat compatible with real world purchases, yet we see a disparity in exactly what a given amount of gil is able to do. Even if you disagree with my assessments of the costs, it should be clear that there is a disconnect between the monetary value of gil and that of any actual currency.

A dagger in FFI, with its cost of 5, is certainly deceptive. Weapons purchased in other areas cost much more. The low price at the beginning of the game is as such simply so one has a means to arm his characters. As I see it, the best one can do in determining the value of gil in actual monetary terms would be to apply a range.

RedCydranth
04-01-2005, 10:41 PM
You can't find a real world equivalent. Look, for example, to FFVII. We see the villa sold for 300,000 gil, which would seem to suggest relative similarity between the gil and dollar. At least,one can interpret that as such. However, we see that a "Today's Special" meal at the restaurant in Wall Market costs 70 gil, which certainly seems very extravagent given the appearance of the restaurant. These are at least somewhat compatible with real world purchases, yet we see a disparity in exactly what a given amount of gil is able to do. Even if you disagree with my assessments of the costs, it should be clear that there is a disconnect between the monetary value of gil and that of any actual currency.

Using the Equivalency scale DJZen formulated:
1 gil - $.05
the Villa = $15,000
The Meal = $3.50

A very small house can cost 15,000 here in the states, and a meal can be 3.50 or more at the sleaziest McDonalds too. The size of the Villa and its beachside location would, if Costa Del Sol was in USA, be MUCH higher. Around the $250,000 range.

DJZen
04-01-2005, 11:54 PM
OMG you're not implying that a video game's currency has no basis in reality, are you? That would be just OUTRAGEOUS! :D

Kawaii Ryûkishi
04-01-2005, 11:58 PM
Cloud spoke to me in a dream and said that one pinecone = 30 Gil!

DJZen
04-02-2005, 12:02 AM
That's one expensive pinecone. Either that or potions are way more cheap than I originally thought.

eestlinc
04-02-2005, 12:30 AM
things cost so much because there is a seemingly unlimited supply of gil floating around. Inflation at work.

Flamethrower
04-02-2005, 12:45 AM
Every time I see this thread, I keep thinking it says "Exchange rate of Cid?"

Yes, that is all I have to contribute to this thread.

Masamune·1600
04-02-2005, 01:14 AM
I just might buy your post. Is 20 gil good?

strawberryman
04-02-2005, 01:15 AM
one pinecone: 30 gil
one healing potion: 100 gil
a dagger: 5 gil

Buying a pinecone: priceless

TasteyPies
04-02-2005, 01:35 AM
That brings me onto another topic I have been wondering about. How do the characters get Gil from defeating enemies? Why would a monster be walking around carrying a wallet? This issue was 'addressed' in FFVIII with the introduction of a SeeD salary, but then it returned to the previous method in FFIX.

Any thoughts?

Monsters attack travelers and villages.
Monsters walk away with shiny baubles.
Heros kill monsters
Heros swipe the shiny baubles

Kinda reverse pillaging imo

rubah
04-02-2005, 07:00 AM
Obviously monsters get their gil from all the gameovers.

What? You never got killed by an imp?

It would seem that gil is just as easy to convert to real money as galleons sickles and knuts are.

That and there's ingame inflations, not to mention between games.

Shoden
04-04-2005, 12:41 AM
5 gil = £1/$2

villa= £60,000/$120,000

considering its small size thats fairly reasonable or ,aybe raise it to
10 gil=£1/$1

making the villa = £120,000/$240,000
reasonable enough?

potion = a mere tenner or £20

Martyr
04-04-2005, 02:00 AM
DJZen's calculations were off.

In FF1, on the nes anyway, there was no "gil." It was gold. Obviously they must have screwed that up in the Origins thing if it says gil there instead of gold.

Of course, the value of the gold, comparatively, is impossible to find an exchange rate for since, although we can calculate the exchange rate of gold, we cannot calculate the size of gold pieces in FF.
(Or maybe I'm wrong)
Anyway, I thought I'd bring that up.

Secondly: Yes, the monsters carry their own cash.
All you people can never realize the plight of a monster. Imagine being a freaking imp. You're walking around one day, picking flowers or slaughtering deer or whatever it is that imps like to do, and suddenly some racist bastard human shouts, "Ah! An imp! Murder the ugly hag!"

Insulted that you could ever possibly be related to sahags, you and your cronies fight back etc...

Basically, what I'm trying to say, is that humans are the dominant characters in Final Fantasy. If they were conquered, then the monsters would finally get a well deserved chance at starting their own civilization. Such things as money would be necessary there. ESPECIALLY for monsters who have bad tempers and will probably squabble over trade deals even MORE than humans might. Currency is a must.
So they carry gil. Probably in little wallets. Ogres probably have big wallets and bosses are probably rich from their entrepenuerial skillz.

Kawaii Ryûkishi
04-04-2005, 02:18 AM
In FF1, on the nes anyway, there was no "gil." It was gold. Obviously they must have screwed that up in the Origins thing if it says gil there instead of gold.No, they screwed that up in the original translation. It was always Gil.

Necronopticous
04-04-2005, 02:32 AM
It looks like it's about $35 dollars per 1,000,000 gil. At least that's the running price at ige.com.

DarkLadyNyara
04-04-2005, 02:38 AM
So they carry gil. Probably in little wallets. Ogres probably have big wallets and bosses are probably rich from their entrepenuerial skillz.
Interesting theory...
I think they get it from travelers that got eaten.

Martyr
04-04-2005, 02:46 AM
No, they screwed that up in the original translation. It was always Gil.

No, either

1. Gil translates from Japanese to Gold in English.

or... that's the only alternative for your theory to be reasonably possible.

Being that Final Fantasy was the first game of it's series, before the concept of gil was imagined, despite that gil became the mainstream deal in the games, it can't be a mistranslation.

There has GOT to be a Japanese-English translator who knew that gold would interpret into gold and not gil in the minds of Americans when he made the game. I mean, gold can't mean anything else. It's impossible for somebody to say gold and mean gil, especially before gil ever existed.
(Note that the translaters were fairly literate. They knew words like fiend, impertinent, and tinder.)

Rethink yourself, kiddo.

Kawaii Ryûkishi
04-04-2005, 03:38 AM
http://norbert-x.com/rock/userfiles/Kishi/ffgila.gifhttp://norbert-x.com/rock/userfiles/Kishi/ffgilb.gif

"Giru" = Gil, not gold or G or GP or anything like that. I'm very sorry.

eestlinc
04-04-2005, 03:38 AM
i would rethink addressing another member of EoFF in that way. :D

Gil, gold, GP. All the same to me and they are clearly just different terms for the same thing.

Martyr
04-04-2005, 04:21 AM
"Giru" = Gil, not gold or G or GP or anything like that. I'm very sorry.

OUCH! HAHA! Okay, I'm wrong. I concede to the man become god.

Del Murder
04-10-2005, 04:59 AM
I wonder where the monsters keep their money. Or maybe it's better left unsaid.

rubah
04-10-2005, 11:16 PM
If only there was a kangaroo enemy.

strawberryman
04-11-2005, 03:09 AM
If only there was a kangaroo enemy.
Kangaroo= Really hard kick= Ow.

Rase
04-17-2005, 06:40 AM
I wonder where the monsters keep their money. Or maybe it's better left unsaid.

Obviously, they keep it in the bank. Then, when our valiant heros defeat them, the poor monsters are forced to sign a slip, allowing the heros to go to the bank and withdraw the money. They do that during the blackout time between battle and moving around on the world.

Del Murder
04-23-2005, 06:12 PM
Awesome post.

Rase
04-23-2005, 11:32 PM
I aim to please, though usually I miss horribly, since I'm near-sighted.

Del Murder
04-24-2005, 01:20 AM
Should have quit while you were ahead, kid. :D

Rase
04-24-2005, 02:06 AM
See, EXACTLY what I was talking about. :(