PDA

View Full Version : Buying new vs. waiting

Strider
04-01-2005, 10:09 PM
I'm sure I'm just like everyone else here when I say there's about umpteen different games I'd like to play. I just barely got a PS2 a few months ago, and I still have a lot of catching up to do (I haven't played any of the GTAs, as one example), but a lot of newer games that've come out in recent days have caught my eye, too. You know, stuff like Suikoden, Xeno...saga II, and other stuff.

But even with all of the interest in the world, I can't bring myself to shell out 50 bucks to buy any game right after it's released. Perhaps it's the frugal nature I've picked up from the rest of my family, or perhaps it's something else, but the end result is that I'd rather wait to buy a game than pay more to buy it right away.

Yes, I'd rather deal with "You still haven't played [insent game title here]? That thing's been out for three months now" than spend 30 more dollars than I have to. In the long run, I think, it allows me to buy more and enjoy more. That's just me, though.

Is anyone else like this? Feel free to scoff at my philosophy, too, if you're an impulse buyer like that.

Spammerman
04-01-2005, 11:12 PM
IM the saem way.I dont buy new games cause there to expensive, its like this

new=50$
semiold to old=20$

that means u can get 2 new games for 100 dollars or 5 semiold games for 100 dollars.I feel the same way strider(u should try out dynasty warrior games though.probably 3-4-4 empires.

Lionx
04-02-2005, 12:12 AM
Same as you, i can either get Xenosaga for 50-60 bucks when it came out, or i can buy a new one now for 20 bucks or a used one for 15 bucks. With that same money, i can get a few more games in the long run. Buying games at 50 bucks is just NOT worth it...

strawberryman
04-02-2005, 01:20 AM
Exactly. As I am the king of cheapness.

Flamethrower
04-02-2005, 03:08 AM
I'm always the last one to buy a hot new game. I didn't buy Final Fantasy X, GTA III, and GTA: Vice City until this year.

Venom65437
04-02-2005, 05:06 AM
I almost always buy used games. However, I do make exceptions. Like Final Fantasy I can not wait to get. I do it with Mega Man games too when I have the money, and Zelda. Other than those three, I usually hold off unless I have reason to believe they'll be hard to find later.

Xander
04-02-2005, 10:48 AM
I'd rather wait too. I'll rarely ever pay the full price tag for a game. There's a load of GC games I still wanna play, but I'm waiting, and I'll probably just get some pre-owned. It's mostly the case with the console though for me, I'd never buy that brand new because you just know the price will drop, and I'm not usually in a hurry to have them straight away.

nik0tine
04-02-2005, 11:42 AM
Here is what I do: Since there are so many great games out there, I buy an older game that I have no yet played. By the time I finish it, some of the newer games are cheaper.

For example, around the time Resident Evil 4 was going to come out, I played Xenogears for the first time ever and loved it. Around the time I finished Xenogears, Xenosaga ep2 had just come out. I bought XS episode one and am currently in the process of completing it. By the time I finish that I will buy XS ep2. When I finish that, RE 4 should be relatively cheap. I strategically spend my money... I guess..

EDIT: However, when something like FF12 comes out, I will go to the store and buy it right away. I won't think twice about spending the full price for that.

Seifer
04-02-2005, 03:35 PM
Most games I have are used...most of the games I have for Xbox anyway. All of those costs me anywhere from $13 to $6. Of course, when I first bought my Xbox I got Silent Hill 4 new since I needed a game, and I really wanted that one, but it was still $40 as opposed to the usual $50. Any games that were bought new around their release date were usually Christmas presents. I'd say there's about three or four of those. I have about three games that I can name off of the top of my head that I got when they were just released, but it wasn't a special occasion, but overall, I buy at low prices. Hell, by the time I got a PS2, FFX was already $20...and mine was bought used.

If it's a game I really want when it's just released, I'll try to get it, as is the case with Doom 3 on Xbox, but my birthday is in a month, and that's all I really want, so there you have it. (Although...I want the Collectors Edition, and that's $10 more. Heh.) Other than that, I look for used games or old new games that are $20.

Zante
04-02-2005, 05:19 PM
I usualy buy new games as soon as they come out, because I have bad experience with buyng games later.

Dreddz
04-02-2005, 05:45 PM
It depends on the Game. Games such as Metal Gear Solid, GT and the Final Fantasy games I buy on the day. Others games which I want I would wait maybe a month or so.

Strider
04-02-2005, 07:51 PM
The most I've spent on a PS2 game is 22 dollars. Including tax.

I've got something like... seven or eight games for the time being, so such a low ceiling is really really good, if you ask me.

Cless
04-03-2005, 12:38 PM
Unless, it's a game that I just must have on the day of release, (MGS and FF) I will wait 'til the price plummets. It has it's negatives as well though, I'm still waiting for Tales of Symphonia's price to drop!

Most of my collection consists of games that set me back about 10-20 pound sterling. Cheapness is underated.

Levian
04-03-2005, 12:55 PM
Depends really. We don't really much of a gaming market, so the price rarely drops, they just remove the game from the stores. So if I don't buy it new, I might just not get the game at all. However, 3-4 miles away there's a store that sells used games, so I go there every now and then.

Craig
04-03-2005, 01:04 PM
It depends, if it's a game i'm really looking forward to i'll shell out for it the day it comes out, the most recent game I did that on was Halo 2. But mostly when i'm buying games I look for the cheaper games (I'm kicking myself now that I could've had Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter for £10) like yesterday for example, I saw Devil May Cry 3 and I wanted to buy it but instead I figured I'd go look for a copy of the first game instead. Turns out I couldn't find it and I bought .hack//infection for £20 instead.

Dreddz
04-03-2005, 01:39 PM
If im unable to find the game I want I'd get it off eBay as they always have some.

XxSephirothxX
04-03-2005, 07:43 PM
A fair number of titles I'll buy right on release. I used to do this all the time--now, however, I find myself often just not having enough anticipation for a game to buy it on the spot, and I'll wait a year or so before picking it up to play it. Still, anything Zelda or Final Fantasy I'll get ASAP.

kikimm
04-03-2005, 08:04 PM
I'm the same way, although I almost refuse to buy used games now. There's always something wrong with them, so I'll just avoid the hassle. But I do wait until the price drops, at least $20. There are a few games,. of course, that I'd be willing to pay $50 for, but there hasn't been anything like that in awhile. DMC3, God of War, they're going to have to wait. I'm really hoping for the price of Silent Hill 4 to drop just a little more. I don't want to drop $30 right this moment.

So yeah. I do the same thing, although it's a pain in the ass to see everybody else playing and talking about the game I want. ;_; I'm starting to sound like a little kid now, though, so I'll stop.

:D

Dreddz
04-03-2005, 10:19 PM
OMFG
how can you wait for SH4. Its so good. I recommend getting it as fast as possible ASAP

Shoeberto
04-05-2005, 03:09 AM
Amen, man. Used games are the way to go. There's only one game that was new (as in sealed, not used) when I got it for my PS2, and it was the greatest hits version of Jak II - hardly a recent release.

Yuffie514
04-05-2005, 06:14 AM
i usually buy FF games new, but i get good deals when i buy used games :jap: . i bought Greatest Hits like Silent Hill 2 and Dark Cloud, each for under $15 :bgl: . i'm pretty picky tho, i want them to include front/back covers and manual :goofy: .

Behold the Void
04-05-2005, 06:27 AM
Some games I buy new, some used. It all depends on how much I want it, how many other games I have that I've not yet beaten, and how much money I have. I'm always somewhat paranoid about used games though, I fear they won't work properly.

Agent Proto
04-05-2005, 06:48 AM
I like to wait most of the time, but once in awhile, when I'm in the mood for a new game, I'll pay the full "Brand new" price, as long as I can afford it.

Sepho
04-05-2005, 12:06 PM
Here is what I do: Since there are so many great games out there, I buy an older game that I have no yet played. By the time I finish it, some of the newer games are cheaper.

That's pretty much what I do. These days, I get most of my games off of Half.com, so I'm usually a few months behind when it comes to buying new titles. Example: When Mario Kart: Double Dash came out, F-Zero GX was down to around $30, so I bought that instead, even though I was slightly more excited for Double Dash. I still haven't picked up Double Dash. Oops.