PDA

View Full Version : Windows vs Mac

The Shoeless Hobo
04-03-2005, 11:09 AM
I'm thinking of getting a Mac Mini. But I'm not quite sure... Especially with the programs that only work on windows. Is Mac a trustworthy brand and should I purchase it over Windows? What is your opinion and what do you currently own/prefer to use?

Also, can you install Word 2000 on Macs?

Shlup
04-03-2005, 11:15 AM
Everyone I know who has a Mac loves it. I don't think I could adjust to one though. I suggest you go down to someplace that has one and try it out, see if it feels good. They are, unless I've been grossly misinformed, a very trustable brand.

-N-
04-03-2005, 11:23 AM
Macs are generally reliable, although in terms of performance they excel only at audio and video processing. Unless you're specifically looking for one in order to manage a band or do movie post-processing, or you're a computer n00b, I'd recommend a PC - cross-compatibility is an underrated quality.

Ko Ko
04-03-2005, 11:24 AM
Windows. Jsut stick to windows.
I just got a plug-in 100.00 Mb/ps about 5 minutes ago. And it rocks. I tried it on my Mac (Yes, I have both!) And it just isn't the same.
Apples and Macs are generally used for teachers. They're just programmed that way.

Destai
04-03-2005, 11:25 AM
AND they look cool. The apple logo on the back has a blacklight, how cool is that. :skull3: They're even fun to type on...even if its off. :skull4:

Craig
04-03-2005, 11:25 AM
I have to use Macs in college, and I definately prefer Windows.

Meat Puppet
04-03-2005, 11:36 AM
go kilt, baby.

rubah
04-03-2005, 07:11 PM
I want to use a mac, just to use it.

Just like I want to acquire linux and use it.

However, I haven't heard great things about mac laptops (actually I've heard very vehement bad things:P) so I'd stay away from those.

XxSephirothxX
04-03-2005, 07:33 PM
From what I've seen Macs are generally more stable and have less errors than Windows does, but I hate the interface and would stick with a PC any day.

Little Miss Awesome
04-03-2005, 08:03 PM
I prefer Windows, but Mac computers do look very sleek and futuristic, but they're not compatible for much gamewise :-/

Yamaneko
04-03-2005, 08:18 PM
A Mac is a Mac. Not only do you get stuck with an incompatible OS, but you're also stuck with hardware that's almost impossible to upgrade. Windows and the PC are seperate. So, you could always go over to Linux when you get sick of Windows. Plus, you can upgrade any part of your PC quite easily.

Cz
04-03-2005, 08:22 PM
Macs are certainly a reliable brand, but aside from the styling they have few advantages over an ordinary PC, at least for the casual user. It all depends on the person in the end, so could you tell us what you'll be using your new computer for?

Odaisé Gaelach
04-03-2005, 08:24 PM
Try before you buy. I tried a Mac for about a month, and knew that it wasn't for me.

Mac computers look okay. Their coloured iMacs looked delicious, but the plastic white eMacs look too sterile.

The only reason that I'd recommend buying a Mac is for iMovie - though sometimes you need a PC to do stuff that iMovie can't do.

DMKA
04-03-2005, 08:28 PM
A Mac is a Mac. Not only do you get stuck with an incompatible OS, but you're also stuck with hardware that's almost impossible to upgrade. Windows and the PC are seperate. So, you could always go over to Linux when you get sick of Windows. Plus, you can upgrade any part of your PC quite easily.
The kitty speaks the truth.

Khabal
04-03-2005, 08:55 PM
A Mac is the best all-around for video and sound. I recomend changing only for this issues...

Samuraid
04-03-2005, 10:45 PM
<slightly off topic>

A Mac is the best all-around for video and sound. I recomend changing only for this issues...
It really isn't. Some people say so and quote 'memory bandwidth' as a reason. I've worked in recording studios and even built a digital audio workstation and for the cost of a dual G5 studio mac, you can built a few dual Xeon machines running windows or linux that will easily outperform the mac.

</off topic>

Anyway...Macs are generally good and well-built computers. It mostly comes down to what software and utilities you need to run. And yes, Microsoft does have a version of Office for Mac.

Dreddz
04-03-2005, 11:33 PM
Typing this on a mac atm.
I'd say there better for different things. The Mac G5 is so bloody powerful its untrue. But If your into PC games go with a Windows. Macs are better for proccesing difficult images and photoshop and stuff.

The Shoeless Hobo
04-04-2005, 07:39 AM
It all depends on the person in the end, so could you tell us what you'll be using your new computer for?

I'd use a Mac for Visual Basic, Macromedia Flash/Dreamweaver, Internet, making images, movies ang games aswell as editing clips, word proccesing and I'd need to attach a USB storage device to it. So if I do get a mac, I'll firstly get a USB hub.

Rye
04-04-2005, 04:04 PM
Macs are great for flash and photoshop, in my opinion. I like PCs better though.

The Captain
04-04-2005, 04:07 PM
Macs are strong in some areas, but weak in others, so again it depends on what you intend to use it for. As others have said, try one out before committing to buy anything and do your homework to make sure that your purchase is everything you hope it to be. The last thing you want to do is buy a computer and find out that you can't install or run a program.

I use Macs for editing movies, but also prefer PCs for most everything else.

Take care all.

Ko Ko
04-05-2005, 10:54 AM
AND they look cool. The apple logo on the back has a blacklight, how cool is that. :skull3: They're even fun to type on...even if its off. :skull4:
HISSSSSS. Skulls are not allowed in this forum. :skull3:
Yeah, as The Captain said, they both have thier own qualities.
But I still recommend Windows.