PDA

View Full Version : FFV Versions

Gwelenguchenkus
04-03-2005, 03:41 PM
I asked this same question at gamefaqs, but there is just about ZERO traffic on the boards over there, so I'm going to restate it here!

Are there any serious differences between the ROM and the Anthology version? I have both versions in my posession, and I thought about it long and hard which version to play.

I was NOT impressed with the FMV from the FFA version, however, I did love the end where they list the stats for all your characters, which was a totally awesome bonus. Is that in the rom version?

Some other beef I have between the two games is overall quality of the dialogue. Does the ROM have good localization? Although I thought Ferris's accent was a little silly, I thought the FFA version had overall pretty solid tranlation. Which is better, you think?

Any other significant differences you'd like to mention, go ahead! I want to start a new game, and I'm a little unsure as to whether I should play the FFA version or the ROM version this time.

rubah
04-03-2005, 08:02 PM
I never noticed a funny accent in the rom. They list your levels at the end, and how many abilities you've learned.

But I've never played the anthologies version, so I dunno.

ShivaBlizzard8
04-03-2005, 09:51 PM
I've only played the Anthology version, but to my knowledge, the only differences are
1) the added FMVs - one at the begining and one at the end.
2) the translation - the ROM's is fan-made, whereas Anthology's is the "offical" translation. This is usually the big reason why people like the ROM version better; some of Square's translation is a little silly, like Faris' accent is a bit much and the butchering of names (i.e. SALSA?!). However, I never found it that much of a detriment to the game as a whole.

Anything else, like the character stats in the end, should be in both versions.

Therefore, my advice is, if you've already played Anthology and want to start a new game, why not try the ROM? Then you'd know the differences and be able to determine a preference for yourself. :)

Gwelenguchenkus
04-04-2005, 01:27 AM
Ahh, thanks. I just had to ask because I was mainly worried about the ROM's translation.

I encountered a very very bad fan translation of FFIV the other day, and I was somewhat concerned about the translation of this one. Thanks though, I think I'll give it a try!

ShivaBlizzard8
04-04-2005, 02:46 AM
No problem - I'm curious to know what you think, since I haven't heard of many people who've played both.

eestlinc
04-04-2005, 03:00 AM
I've played both. I liked the ROM translation a little better, but both versions will give you an enjoyable gaming experience.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-04-2005, 07:45 AM
Also,
In the PS version, you can dash at any time. The Thief's Dash ability just makes it even faster.
The battle transistion is all tricked-out 1998 stylez.

Gwelenguchenkus
04-04-2005, 08:08 AM
Oh, that's right. Are you talking about the transition between the world map/dungeon and the battle screen?

The only thing that is irritating me is when the sound of selecting different items on the menus prevents you from hearing key notes in the music in the background. It's ot a big deal, but it's still irritating, as I am somewhat irritable :].

Gwelenguchenkus
04-06-2005, 10:37 PM
This is totally unrelated, but I'm having some issues, and I'm not sure whether it's my FFV rom, an emulator problem, a ZSNES settings problem, or a computer problem.

Every once in a while, I'll be moving around on the world map, and for no reason, even after I let go of the buttons, my character still moves in that direction for an extra second or so. It's really irritating. Also, in menus (battle menu AND main menu) my buttons won't respond, and sometimes it will wait a second and then act as if I held down the button (start scrolling upward or something) it is REALLY irritating.

Although I have had signs that this is not a ROM problem at all, but something else. You see, when I hit the +Volume or -Volume button, sometimes to will do the 'scroll' thing, where it rolls up really fast even after I stopped pressing the key.

I know my keys are not sticking, because sometimes it will react slowly or won't respond when I hit keys, and I have to wait a second and THEN hit the key. I thought maybe it was a lag problem.. possibly associated with my computer? But I checked, and nothingw as really running, I don't have any ad-ware. Could I have accidentially altered a setting that makes the game react slower?

Has anyone encountered this? It's really annoying, but I can put up with it. I just want to knwo if anyone else has experienced, or if anyone has any tips for me. I'm totally baffled.

rubah
04-07-2005, 01:02 AM
I don't think it's anything except you stopped in the middle of a square. or maybe slight lagging.

It happens all the time. YOu just have to make it work for you. It seems to happen with everything. I blame the keyboards.

Gwelenguchenkus
04-07-2005, 02:41 AM
It's weird though... I've played tons of roms and it's never happeend quite like this before. Maybe my computer is infected with something that 'distracts' zsnes or takes up a bit of memory every once in a while. I don't know.

Llanowar
04-07-2005, 02:54 AM
What it sounds like is that you have a background program/process that is for some reason spiking RAM usage at random points in time. Check your task manager to see if all the processes running on your computer are ones that should be there. If not then try shutting down the ones that aren't supposed to be there and remove them from your computer with the proper software.

Lenna
04-07-2005, 04:20 AM
I personally use Snes9x, and I prefered the ROM vs, it's easier to save on the computer and recall your files where as if you have more than one memory card you have to look for it lol :S. plus if the discs scratched it wont work properly sometimes :( So I prefer the emulation of the first set off FF's (1 - 6) Although I liked 6 on the PS as much as I did romwise.

Gwelenguchenkus
04-07-2005, 04:39 AM
Well, I found the culprit. Thanks everyone for the advice. Using HijackThis I browsed through everything and could not find anything suspicious. I even checked Task Manager, and there were no spikes! I was totally confused.

So I checked some of the ZSNES settings, and I found that I had 'HIGH PRIORITY MODE' checked. I remember checking it a few days ago because I thought it made my games run more smoothly. I turned it off and then started playing and I realized that I no longer have any of the weird problems I had before. CASE SOLVED'D.

Del Murder
04-09-2005, 07:13 PM
Salsa is a superior name.