PDA

View Full Version : coinkidenk

Palindrome
04-03-2005, 05:04 PM
I am sure that many people have noticed a lot of parallels in the Final Fantasy series such as a character named Cid that is somehow related to the airship. I don't think a single FF game has gone without an air ship. The prelude is in every game as well. What are some reoccuring themes you have noticed in the games?

eestlinc
04-03-2005, 05:58 PM
Tactics doesn't have an airship, although it does have an airship graveyard for some reason.

sephiroth JR
04-03-2005, 06:07 PM
yeah but alot of things in the ff series are the same. names weapons etc

RedCydranth
04-03-2005, 07:05 PM
In many FF games the word Crescent appears as a town, enemy, item or character last name. I picked up on this a while back.

Masamuneˇ1600
04-03-2005, 08:09 PM
It's worth noting that the Prelude doesn't occur in every game (FFVIII for example). However, it's still a series constant, so to speak.

Some recurring motifs, beyond airships and Cids, include:

-chocobos
-moogles
-characters named Biggs and Wedge (starting with FFVI)
-certain weapon, armor, and accessory names (Masamune, Ragnarok, Ribbon [which was first headgear, then an accessory], etc.)
-Bahamut (summon starting in FFIII plus a role in FFI) and certain other summons, notably Ifrit and Shiva
-a number of spells (Flare, for example)
-various enemies (for example, Bombs)
-starting with FFV, and continuing in VII, VIII, IX, X, and X-2, the idea of superbosses

Then there are more limited motifs. For example, graveyards. FFV had a ship graveyard, FFVII had a train graveyard, and FFT had the Graveyard of Airships.

TheSpoonyBard
04-03-2005, 08:56 PM
FFIX is full of them. Check the FFIX forum, I posted a whole list of references to other FF games in a thread not so long ago, so it should still be on the first page.

rubah
04-03-2005, 11:41 PM
-starting with FFV, and continuing in VII, VIII, IX, X, and X-2, the idea of superbosses

There was some monster in ff2j that was awful strong that you didn't have to fight. I think it was the one guarding the bolt javelin?

Masamuneˇ1600
04-04-2005, 12:13 AM
The enemy Fallen Emperor (or the Shade, if you prefer) guarded the Bolt Javelin and was optional. However, with 3000 HP, he hardly qualifies as a superboss, even in FFII terms. There are a number of treasure chests guarded by monsters, actually. Astaroth is arguably the most challenging of these, but is still nowhere near being interpreted as a superboss.

Some people like to call Warmech in FFI a superboss, but it's not really that difficult. A superboss, as I interpret it, should be significantly more powerful and more challenging than the final boss. While Emerald and Ruby, for example really aren't that difficult if you know what you're doing, they're both much more powerful than Safer Sephiroth.

One could interpret Omega and Shinryuu in the Lifestream Grotto in FFI-II DoS to be superbosses, especially since their counterparts in FFV actually are. However, I didn't include them in my definition since the whole DoS version is a massive departure from the original FFI, and is notably easier.

Returning to the original point, however, the concept of treasure chests being guarded by monsters has been fairly prevalent throughout the series. That, I suppose, would be another FF motif.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-04-2005, 01:30 AM
Optional bosses have been around since FFII, but super bosses--bosses that are incredibly hard to beat and award you basically nothing but bragging rights and maybe a useless emblem item afterwards--started with FFV.

Martyr
04-04-2005, 02:19 AM
The main hero or first character dude is usually carrying a sword (Of some kind).

The strongest weapons are generally, if not always, some kind of sword.

And nobody likes maces too much. And I've never seen a flail, probably because of all this floating mace-hatred.

eestlinc
04-04-2005, 03:35 AM
you've never seen a flail in an FF game? You must not have looked that hard.

DocFrance
04-04-2005, 03:40 AM
Or, he only plays them past FFVII. Considering that there were flails up until FFVI, I think that's the case.

DJZen
04-04-2005, 10:00 PM
The enemy Fallen Emperor (or the Shade, if you prefer) guarded the Bolt Javelin and was optional. However, with 3000 HP, he hardly qualifies as a superboss, even in FFII terms. There are a number of treasure chests guarded by monsters, actually. Astaroth is arguably the most challenging of these, but is still nowhere near being interpreted as a superboss.

Iron Giant is way worse than those 2 pump chumps. Astaroth can be taken down in one hit. That's right. ONE HIT. Some superboss...

The amount of reccurent themes in FF games could take up an entire book. From monsters to weapons to spells to items to EVERYTHING.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-04-2005, 10:03 PM
I could write it. Embarrassing.

Masamuneˇ1600
04-04-2005, 10:20 PM
Iron Giant is way worse than those 2 pump chumps. Astaroth can be taken down in one hit. That's right. ONE HIT. Some superboss...

That's my point. FFII had nothing even resembling a superboss. I listed Astaroth simply because it has more HP than the other monsters guarding the rare equipment.

DJZen
04-04-2005, 10:41 PM
Well.... I guess they could be considered the superbosses of their day. After all, the REAL challenge is making it to them and beating them before you run out of elixirs (which happens FAST in that game). They're not harder than the emperor or anything, but Beelzebub can actually give you a run for your money.... Sort of...

eestlinc
04-05-2005, 02:30 AM
FFIV has some tough bosses guarding the equipment in the final dungeon.

Masamuneˇ1600
04-05-2005, 05:25 AM
True, but they're not on the same level of difficulty as superbosses. They (Plague, Wyvern, etc.) seemed to me to be similar in difficulty to, say, Necrophobe in FFV. I'll grant that they're arguably harder, but the idea of making an FFV reference was to imply the difference in difficulty between Necrophobe and Omega/Shinryuu.

They are part of the motif and tradition of bosses/powerful monsters guarding treasure chests; of that there's no doubt. I apologize if I misinterpreted your comment.

eestlinc
04-05-2005, 05:34 AM
yea that's what I meant. They are tough optional bosses but not superbosses. For that matter, you could consider Bahamut and Odin tough optional bosses as well.

Palindrome
04-05-2005, 10:11 PM
FF1: Warmech
first "superboss"

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-05-2005, 10:46 PM
Death Machine ("Warmech") is a regular enemy, not a boss. Even when they went back and put boss music in the remakes, they chose to keep the normal battle music for Death Machine. Sure, it's rare to encounter, but so is Tyrannosaurus.

DJZen
04-06-2005, 04:31 AM
Super Enemy would be a better name. Or "Super Random Encounter", that's just fun to say.

MJN SEIFER
04-06-2005, 10:52 AM
FFIV to FVII first enemys you can't attack without them doing something (Welk, Scorpion etc)

FFV - FVIII have Bad Guys that keep figting you and just refuse to die (Gilgamesh for example)

Edit: ok that one did die...but it wasn't in a fight with you!

rubah
04-07-2005, 03:26 AM
FFIV to FVII first enemys you can't attack without them doing something (Welk, Scorpion etc)

You mean like first attack or something? Because that can happen randomly before ff4X.x;;;

Super random!

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-07-2005, 04:47 AM
He's talking about the first bosses in FFIV-VII.
FFIV: Mist Dragon: Don't attack when it dissipates into mist.
FFV: Wing Raptor: Don't attack when it closes its wings.
FFVI: Ymir: Don't attack when it recedes into its shell.
FFVII: Guard Scorpion: Don't attack when it raises its tail.
http://norbert-x.com/rock/userfiles/Kishi/ff4-mistfight.gif

Martyr
04-09-2005, 12:15 AM
you've never seen a flail in an FF game? You must not have looked that hard.

What? When is there a flail?

Was there one in FFIV? I sure as heck don't remember any of them.

Masamuneˇ1600
04-09-2005, 07:46 AM
FFV had two flails: Flail and Morning Star. FFVI had two flails, which had the same names as the FFV versions. FFT had four weapons which I will categorize as flails: Flail, Flame Whip, Morning Star, and Scorpion Tail. Other games have had whips, which are not flails, but here Flame Whip qualifies as the same type of weapon.

Martyr
04-09-2005, 07:51 AM
Oh yeah!

The FFV Morning star! That thing was cool. And there was a flail of some sort.

I don't remember it in FFVI, but, well, I guess I've been proven wrong.

I still don't think that I deserve to be called somebody who hasn't looked very hard. Considering that a flail isn't the strongest weapon by far (The morning star only lasts through that sunken ship level and then we basically forget about it) and considering that, including whips (Which don't really count, since I remember things like the firebute and monster catcher weapons), there's about, what, 8 flails? And how many other weapons which take more predominant space in my memory? 2000?

MJN SEIFER
04-09-2005, 09:56 PM
Ddidn't Kefka use a flail? (If you don't know who he is then you might as well stop posting here!)