PDA

View Full Version : Which Generation are Better gamers ?

Dreddz
04-03-2005, 10:32 PM
I think that younger gamers are better to me as im one of them. Generally I dont think there alot of gamers over 30 so I didnt include them

Meat Puppet
04-03-2005, 10:48 PM
Contra generation. Duh.

Dreddz
04-03-2005, 11:13 PM
So thats the Older Generation then
Oh fudge I spelt Which wrong :(

Psychotic
04-03-2005, 11:14 PM
I'm 17 and I'm a lot better now than I was then.

Dreddz
04-03-2005, 11:20 PM
Im 14 and I think im ok.
Most older gamers get Arthiritis and cant really play games
( especially fighting games )

Dr.K
04-03-2005, 11:20 PM
I'm 17 and I'm a lot better now than I was then.I'd say the same. Hell, I'm ALOT better now than when I was 4 months old, so that's progress.

Chris
04-03-2005, 11:21 PM
I'm 17 and I'm a lot better now than I was then.

I'd say the same, except I'm eighteen. :D

BatChao
04-03-2005, 11:22 PM
I think the best generation of gamers are probably those in there mid to late 20s. It's true there aren't many gamers 30 and older, but those around their 20s grew up when games just started getting big - and they played all those games that were mad hard and stuff... so yea, I'd say the 'older' generation. Though I wouldn't really call em 'old'. Haha.

Dreddz
04-03-2005, 11:22 PM
Maybe I should have done it from 10-15 cause children arent really very good at all. I was actually ok compared to children I see now. I completed FF7 when I was 8 which im proud of. And I was pretty good at Tekken 3

Azure Chrysanthemum
04-03-2005, 11:52 PM
Generally the older generation ("old" being an extreme misnomer) of gamers remember and are more likely to appreciate older games without flashy graphics and asinine, nonexistant plotlines.

Xalioniaf
04-03-2005, 11:53 PM
Younger. And I have a story to show you why.

Every friday and saturday at my local blockbuster, they have Halo 2, Tekken 5, and Super Smash Bros. tourneys. You have to enter all three. Anyway, these little kids, around 8-9 years old, just out of karate class, convince their father to let them compete. Everyone who I thought was the best got their ass served on a silver platter by these little guys. They won all three tourneys, and got 3 free rentals.

Craig
04-03-2005, 11:53 PM
Yeah, I'd say the older generation.

Dreddz
04-04-2005, 12:12 AM
Younger gamers are alot better. Older gamers are used to there old 2D coin-ups but that was then. This is now and alot has changed.

Azure Chrysanthemum
04-04-2005, 12:22 AM
Every friday and saturday at my local blockbuster, they have Halo 2, Tekken 5, and Super Smash Bros. tourneys. You have to enter all three. Anyway, these little kids, around 8-9 years old, just out of karate class, convince their father to let them compete. Everyone who I thought was the best got their ass served on a silver platter by these little guys. They won all three tourneys, and got 3 free rentals.

I know older gamers that can do easily as well as that. It's all a matter of the people who are involved.

Imperia
04-04-2005, 12:45 AM
I mean no disrespect, but I choose older generation because the younger generation have been rude and arrogant to me (ESPECIALLY THOSE SONIC BRATS).

Lionx
04-04-2005, 12:46 AM
Older, they appreciate what makes a game, and it is not flashy graphics and is satisfaction, and game control and real thought. I am one and most of the newer younger gamers just annoy the crap off of me. Omg bad graphics, they know nothing of the potential and the thought that is put into just about every single game out there. Younger gamers just IMO, do not know what the gaming industry went through and how it evolved into the way it is and the older do, and therefore can make better judgements about it. Pretty much, the older, with experience, will make the games and benefit off the younger ones.

crashNUMBERS
04-04-2005, 01:08 AM
Im only 12 but with my brother. Huh. He's 20. I remember when I was 3 he had a sonic game for the genisis, I was all hyped up. If it wasn't for older games we wouldn't have these great (Well some of them ^^) games of today. But the sonic games now-a-days are sucking...HORRIBLY..

TasteyPies
04-04-2005, 01:11 AM
The younger gamers havn't had time to study the predictable stratagies you are expected to use to beat games. Plus you can always say things to them lke "Hey, jump in that pit and you get 1500 points! Oh...you died..... well, guess its my turn." Cruel yes but its how you get a turn when playing with 6 people.

Older people like 40+ have this problem too, although they will kick your ass at pinball and other retro-based games. FPS are usualy another like of this agegroup and they will be fairly decent at it, but still no comparrison to a 17 year old and his/her controler.

edczxcvbnm
04-04-2005, 02:16 AM
Older gamers by far. Younger gamers have never played a "hard" game. I never beat Ninja Gaiden II until a few years ago. NOW thats a hard game. I could have beaten the first one also as I was on a roll but I got pissed at the game and eventually just turned it off.

Ninja Gaiden on XBOX is awesome. The Hurrican Pack is how the game should have been. Ass kickingly hard. I don't even want to get into Hurrican Pack 2 which is just a bitch.

Young gamers don't know what hard is anymore.

Big D
04-04-2005, 03:02 AM
Older gamers by far. Younger gamers have never played a "hard" game. I never beat Ninja Gaiden II until a few years ago. NOW thats a hard game. I could have beaten the first one also as I was on a roll but I got pissed at the game and eventually just turned it off.

Young gamers don't know what hard is anymore.Damn straight. I've got a whole bunch of Sega Master System games I just never finished, since they were that hard. I got that console back in the early '90s. Now, though, there is not a single PSX or PS2 game I've played that's had me stuck for more than a few weeks, at the absolute most.

-N-
04-04-2005, 03:06 AM
Hear hear. Remember when games were difficult? It took me forever to get through the first couple of Mega Mans, and those were among the easier of early Nintendo games. I'm not saying I'm an expert gamer, but I certainly see people in their early 20s or late teens being far better than today's preteens.

XxSephirothxX
04-04-2005, 03:12 AM
Since "older" is 16-30, definitely the "older" gamers. Honestly, I don't see how you can even compare. I think it's funny you say older gamers get arthritis. I don't think that's a typical problem for 16-30 year olds...xD

-N-
04-04-2005, 03:14 AM
Don't make me gum you. :p

Rinen
04-04-2005, 07:19 AM
It all depends who you get as the older generation. Get a gamer that has stayed with the systems and games, and you got yourself a great competitor. Get someone who played only atari and nothing else, then you will find yourself in a little pickle (maily the older person) because they haven't played that much games. I'm a tournament goer, many of the times, I win, and few times, I would lose, and the people I end up losing to were older than me. You see, it doesn't matter what age you are. Sure, if you play games a lot you'll have a high chance of CTS. This could lead to some complications. I'm in that 'older generation' you put in.

Not to sound stuck up or anything, but I have beat every single one of my opponents here, both young and old. The only one I can't do much on is online FPS games because of my poor computer can't handle the graphics as I forgot to upgrade my graphics card as well as my processor. I know someone in their 40s that play FPS games that I haven't been able to catch him lose. He prefers PC based games, and I haven't seen him lose to some punk kid.

Personally, I believe that the younger generation cant appreciate the greatness of the old systems like Atari 2600, NES, and etc. They give up because they say the graphics suck. They have to take it in perspective.

Jack
04-04-2005, 09:16 AM
Not a lot of gamers over 30?

You'd be surprised. My Uncle, Aunt, Mother and my Dad all play games. In fact, my Uncle and Aunt regually go kick ass on Quake III online.

I think you underestimate the power of middle age. MWHAAA

Lionx
04-04-2005, 09:23 AM
Meh most gamers right now just want to beat the game fast. And they will actually rate it down for being so hard i would guess. I mean like FFXI the MMO in itself already has people bitching how hard it is to get money, which in fact as long as you lift a few fingers and actually get your butt to get money, you could. So if they find that hard and quit the game because of it, games being hard now are just like before are going to get rated down..-_- Sucky no?

Dreddz
04-04-2005, 10:41 AM
You all say younger gamers dont enjoy games that are hard. Thats not true. Im 14 and I usally play games on normal and if I repeat the game hard mode. There are maybe a few who dont but maybe they just wanna have fun

Lionx
04-04-2005, 12:46 PM
Even on Hard some games these days arent as hard =/ Why play an easy game? For many a hard game means more time spent into it and more replay value, therefore making the purchase worth it. If the game is easy to beat, then its not fun i would say.

YukiKiro
04-04-2005, 01:22 PM
I dont think there alot of gamers over 30 so I didnt include them
clearly you haven't played socom 2. I've played with people over 40 in socom 2 online, and i have to say, they're pretty damn good. socom 2 has got to be the greatest shooter of them all (at least until socom 3 comes out :D).

Dreddz
04-04-2005, 03:49 PM
there are gamers over 30 but not alot of them. Most people I know over 30 would never play or even know how to play games.

edczxcvbnm
04-04-2005, 03:52 PM
You all say younger gamers dont enjoy games that are hard. Thats not true. Im 14 and I usally play games on normal and if I repeat the game hard mode. There are maybe a few who dont but maybe they just wanna have fun

The only hard mode I have played(outside of fighters) that was actually hard was Ninja Gaiden and Resident Evil...to an extent. Everything else really isn't hard.

Azure Chrysanthemum
04-04-2005, 04:38 PM
there are gamers over 30 but not alot of them. Most people I know over 30 would never play or even know how to play games.

You've just demonstrated a wonderful psychological concept called the "self-serving bias". Basically, whatever we see to be true we accept as the truth based on the anecdotal evidence from our own lives. Just because middle-aged people in your particular (very small) social sphere do not play video games, doesn't mean that as a whole, a lot of 30-year-olds don't play video games. Video games are actually a hobby that's fast becoming popular among youth and "old" people alike.

Black Mage
04-04-2005, 06:20 PM
Why does one have to be better than the other? I just don't understand threads like these.

However, when I was younger, (I'm 18 and "old" now >>; ), I used to think I was the lord of games. Yeah, no one can beat me. A few wins on the MKII machine got to my head. Then some "then-old gamer" would pop a coin in and rock my ass.

Nowadays, I play games just as much, and I'm certainly better than I was back then. But, the majority of this thread, at least from the younger side is coming off rather ignorant, and obnoxious. But, as I just pointed out, I was that way at one point too, I suppose.

It's a phase, you'll understand when you're older.

Dreddz
04-04-2005, 06:27 PM
Common fact. People above 30 dont play alot of video games. There alot more younger gamers who play them.

Behold The Void :
What you mean by saying I have a small Social Sphere mean. You lot cant agree with anything other people say. Geez

Cless
04-04-2005, 07:42 PM
The generation that has the most experience at it. I've been playing games since I was a child, and I can safely say that I'm better at them now than I ever was. Also, games are easier, in general, than they were years ago. So, the games this generation grow up playing, aren't as difficult as the games the "older generation" grew up playing.

In conclusion:
Older gamers have more experience and grew up playing harder games than today's children. For these reasons, I feel, they are better at playing games.

YukiKiro
04-04-2005, 11:03 PM
Common fact. People above 30 dont play alot of video games. There alot more younger gamers who play them.

CORRECTION
Common fact. People above 30 are beginning to play as much video games as younger generations. There are not alot more younger gamers who play them.

the above statment in its corrections is now considered true.

Spammerman
04-04-2005, 11:17 PM
ive got a question.How come no matter how bad some older gamers are at videogames, they usually have to be good at tetris?

I think yunger gamers are better.

Dreddz
04-04-2005, 11:20 PM
None of us are right. Its what we think. You might be 100% confedent that your right but its just what you think. Same goes for what I think as well. But bloody hell. Most Console games are focused at kids. There ARE people over 30 playing them but there are tons more younger people. This is what its like in the UK. Dunno bout America

Masamune·1600
04-04-2005, 11:27 PM
I know what the poll thinks.

Gnostic Yevon
04-05-2005, 12:45 AM
Personally I think it matters what type of game we're talking about.

Little kids (10-15 or so) have much faster reflexes. Given that, I'd expect a 10 year old to wipe up in a Super Smash Bros. tourney, or even a FPS tourney. I don't react as fast as a 10 year old.

On the other hand if you are talking about a Strategy or a tougher RPG, I think that the older gamers have an advantage. (there are easy rpgs out there, but meh). This is where an older persons ability to plan out a series of moves and to reason about what might be the best approach shines through. And imo, older gamers are better because they have more life experience and they are better at reasoning out the consequences of a move.

DDR would be a tie, I think though.

Azure Chrysanthemum
04-05-2005, 01:05 AM
What you mean by saying I have a small Social Sphere mean. You lot cant agree with anything other people say. Geez

No, actually what I'm saying is that you live in a town or city in a state in the USA, and that hardly makes you qualified to speak for everyone in the world, especially given that you've not studied such a case before or even looked at any of the statistics, apparently.

Lionx
04-05-2005, 02:25 AM
You can think whatever you want, but should studies say that cancer comes from the butt after sitting too long 70% of the time and its proven, then no matter what your opinion is, your chances of getting cancer in the butt by sitting too long will increase whether you believe it or not.

same here :)

Rinen
04-05-2005, 03:26 AM
There are a lot of people over 30 who I know play games and are great, I've been to a bunch of tournaments, and man, it gets intense. But, I've become a bit rusty on a lot of the games I've played because I haven't had the luxury of a working ps2 and xbox, so I wouldn't count myself as tournament calibur on a lot of games now. But that doesn't stop me for dishing out the SNES or NES in the closet. Somewhere there's even my Sega Genesis. Those were the days. Difficulty now is a laugh, nothing is difficult anymore. For instance, Devil May Cry, I remember when that game came out, I beat it in one sitting, and beat it again and again and didn't give me any difficulty until Dante Must Die difficulty, even then its so easy, all in the same day. Games back then, could last a long time without beating it.

Young gamers lack the experience as well as the knowledge we 'old gamers' got with the old systems. Unless they had the luxury of starting off on the older systems rather than on PS2 or X Box or even the PS1. Sure, just recently they were able to get some of the classic games available to GBA and some 64 games on the DS. But, that's not the same as the real thing. I advise you younger ones to go out and find yourself working old consoles and games and give that a try. Then talk about difficulty.

Optium
04-05-2005, 03:39 AM
Im 14 and I think im ok.
Most older gamers get Arthiritis and cant really play games
( especially fighting games )
Arthritis? What the? How old are these gamers?

.opt

Dreddz
04-05-2005, 10:35 AM
I'm saying is that you live in a town or city in a state in the USA, and that hardly makes you qualified to speak for everyone in the world

I live in the UK and proud.
Everyone has a say in what they think is right and wrong. So if im not allowed to speak out what I think. Why should you !

People over 30 get Arthritis common fact :)

fire_of_avalon
04-05-2005, 03:58 PM
Most Gamers are Adults
The myth that most gamers are children also seems to defy the changing gaming demographics. In reality, nearly three quarters of PC gamers are adults, with only 30% under the age of 18. In fact, 38.5% of the people using PCs to run entertainment software are age 36 and over, 31% are between the ages of 18 and 35, and 30% are under 18 (1). A mere 2% of online gamers is under the age of 18 (7). In the realm of console gaming, a higher percentage of gamers are underage (44%). Thirty-six percent of console gamers are 18 to 35 years old, and 20% are age 36 and older. This means that over half of all console gamers are adults (1). Evidently, many adults, including adult women, choose video gaming as a viable entertainment option. While some concessions towards the female gaming market have been made in the form of "girls games"-- games designed and marketed for preadolescent girls-- adult women gamers have been virtually ignored by the gaming industry.

http://www.womengamers.com/doctork/myths.php

Just clearing up some misconceptions. :)

Dreddz
04-05-2005, 04:29 PM
Thanks for that
I guess this topic went a little away from the question

Amarant Odinson
04-05-2005, 06:46 PM
I would have to go with the older generation. I can't count the number of times when some friend of mine or myself have had to shut some teenager for talking a bunch of smack that he can't possibly back up. There have been plenty of times when some kid has been trash talking the "old folks" and then I'd have to kill him in Soul Caliber II, Tekken Tag or even Dance Dance Revolution. My buddies and I are all in our mid to late 20's. I'm 26 myself. The main reason why I think people my age are better is because we've grown up on video games. We've seen the evolution of arcades and home consoles over the years. You put a guy my age in front of any video game and within five to 10 mintues he knows exactly what to do and how to do it. I have yet to see a 14 year old get pass the first 5 levels in Pac Man.

Cz
04-05-2005, 08:01 PM
I'll have to go with the majority of people in this thread and say the older generation. Most kids today would have trouble beating the average 16-bit platformer, simply because gaming is something you become better at with experience. Tricks you learn from one title can carry over into another, and having had years of practice means that the older gamers are generally superior.

The simplicity of many modern titles doesn't help. Metal Gear Solid is a reasonably tough game when played on Extreme difficulty, but your average kid is going to opt for Very Easy mode and finish the game in a couple of days. We need more games like Viewtiful Joe which challenge the player even on the normal setting, and actually demand that the player be skilled to complete them.

Spammerman
04-05-2005, 09:10 PM
The younger gamers havn't had time to study the predictable stratagies you are expected to use to beat games. Plus you can always say things to them lke "Hey, jump in that pit and you get 1500 points! Oh...you died..... well, guess its my turn." Cruel yes but its how you get a turn when playing with 6 people.

Older people like 40+ have this problem too, although they will kick your ass at pinball and other retro-based games. FPS are usualy another like of this agegroup and they will be fairly decent at it, but still no comparrison to a 17 year old and his/her controler.

thats untrue. Ive nvr met my match in puzzling games.

Dreddz
04-05-2005, 11:16 PM
The older gamers were good at 16-bit platformers but Games have changed and no 16-bit platformer is goin to come out soon are they.
People who have played games all there life might be good but I hate it when someone thinking there better cause they used to like the old games. They get thrashed cause they dont know how to use a controller 'oh know this pad has four buttons arrrgghhh'

Cless
04-05-2005, 11:46 PM
I feel that the people who have more experience will probably be better. If that happens to be a ten year old, fair enough but it is highly unlikely that they will have more than an adult who would actually call himself a gamer.

Example:
Let's take a something that is heavily skill based, like...darts! It's a good one because the only advantage that an adult has over a child would be experience. Just like gaming. What if I then asked the question:
Who are the better darts players? Children or adults?
I think the answer seems pretty obvious, and I feel the same applies to the question you ask.

It would have been a harder decision for me, if you'd have classed young as 0-20 and old as 20+. I don't think I could call that one...

Lionx
04-06-2005, 03:03 AM
That doesnt mean that they arent better. The older gamers IMO know what works, they know why a game failed before and know what makes a great game. They also arent lured by the graphics and hype. Like WoW, everyone was into that, but after a while many people left...most people went because of the hype too. But who are you more willing to trust? Some 13 year old? Or maybe a 26 year old who was there from the dawn of video gaming and seen it evolve and know alot of stuff about it? Old games werent all platformers :P Try FF1 and tell me if you can beat it or breeze through it like the most recent FFs without some hardcore leveling time?

square_is_the_best
04-06-2005, 03:55 AM
I'm not going to take a side because I will become "old" on Monday.

MecaKane
04-06-2005, 04:01 AM
People who have played games all there life might be good but I hate it when someone thinking there better cause they used to like the old games. They get thrashed cause they dont know how to use a controller 'oh know this pad has four buttons arrrgghhh'
People who've played video games their whole life are no older than, maybe 27. And if they played video games they would know about the older systems. You're treating 20 year olds like friggen 80 year olds.
I've got knews for you, kid, every god damned 14 year old thinks his whole age group is some sort of new breed of human, 100% better than everyone older than them. You're not special.

I'm better at video games than when I was 10, and in a few years I'll be better still.

And more adults do play video games than kids. The average age for buying new games is at least over 20.

Agent Proto
04-06-2005, 06:34 AM
haha. So toddlers and newborns are considered gamers? xD

Anyway, the older generation.

Though, I think you should probably define your generations better, because there are several generations.

Rinen
04-06-2005, 06:43 AM
The older gamers were good at 16-bit platformers but Games have changed and no 16-bit platformer is goin to come out soon are they.

Really. I'm a part of that 'older generation', and I went perfectly with the change. Same with my friends and their parents. You should stop generalizing statements. Assumptions can lead to misunderstandings as well as unwanted arguements and debates. Generations now some sociologists say that they vary every 4 years now. What would be better for defining your generations is cut them down to every 4-5 years.

0-4, 5-9, 10-14, 15-19, and so forth. I believe that would settle more things down. I was considered a gamer as a toddler. Sure it was Atari 2600, and I beat my parents at frogger at the age of 2. That takes difficulty. That was when there was difficulty in games.

Dreddz
04-06-2005, 10:43 AM
With equal amount of experience a younger gamer is just as good as an older gamer. If they have played the same game for equal amount of time they will be just as good as each other. And dont say that crap that older gamers respect the game more. No one gets better with games when there older. Only when you go above 50 and thats when you really lose it

Lionx
04-06-2005, 12:01 PM
Doubtful, people play better and learn at different rates. You might need more time on fractions while your classmate besides you is like "PFFTT!! Easy!" and show you how its done.

Why wouldnt we respect the game more? We grew up with them and seen first hand how games evolved? Not saying younger gamers dont respect older games, but its much more easier to know what time frame the game was in, how the feeling of the game nestled with others. I mean you look at Mortal Kombat the Original one. That stirred so much controversy. I mean you see Doom and RE nowadays and thats like Pfft comical even. But you would never REALLY know the controversy and how it impacted us since we experieneced nothing like that until that particular time. You can know that it impacted us but you never really will know how much MK stirred up back in those times unless you actually were there. Just like how i can not think how would Pac-Man be so great from when i was born. I never will and it will always be an endless maze game for me, but to those that seen it and how it changed video gaming, its truly something i would bet. But i wouldnt know for sure and i cannot have the same level of respect for Pac-Man as i would like them. All i know is that this game was a craze, but i would not know how good that craze is.

And i might as well stop practicing my moves for fighting games @_@ i will only get worst day by day. Everyone should. Yup..

Dreddz
04-06-2005, 04:33 PM
It will be over all balanced. Not all of the older generation will pick up on the game straight away but a few will. And the same goes to the younger generation.
I hate it when people say the older generation grew up on harder consoles. Ive got a perfectly good Genesis in my room and a SNES. I mainly grew up on the playstation though.

edczxcvbnm
04-06-2005, 04:35 PM
I hate it when people say the older generation grew up on harder consoles. Ive got a perfectly good Genesis in my room and a SNES. I mainly grew up on the playstation though.

So what you are saying is "I hate that they say that but its true"

Dreddz
04-06-2005, 04:43 PM
no im saying thats a stupid reason to be better in games then other people

Azure Chrysanthemum
04-06-2005, 04:43 PM
With equal amount of experience a younger gamer is just as good as an older gamer. If they have played the same game for equal amount of time they will be just as good as each other. And dont say that crap that older gamers respect the game more. No one gets better with games when there older. Only when you go above 50 and thats when you really lose it

Fatal flaw that will unravel your argument right here. With an EQUAL AMOUNT OF EXPERIENCE.

Putting aside lionx's own, very valid point for a moment, younger gamers CAN'T have more experience with gaming than someone who's been playing since they were in diapers. And experience doesn't just mean for newer games, I picked up many things with older games that carry over to newer games. Fighting games haven't changed THAT much over the course of a few years.

Dreddz
04-06-2005, 04:49 PM
Hey, all im trying to say is that everyone is equal in gaming no matter what age you are. There will be better gamers from both side but its all about equal. Dont take sides.

edczxcvbnm
04-06-2005, 04:55 PM
If it is all equal then why did you make this thread? And further more exclude that option from the poll.

Dreddz
04-06-2005, 05:17 PM
I guess it was kinda stupid but I wanted to know what everyone else thinks.

XxSephirothxX
04-06-2005, 10:01 PM
Dont take sides.

I wanted to know what everyone else thinks.
Well, it's pretty hard to express much of an opinion without choosing a side.

YukiKiro
04-10-2005, 04:24 PM
Most Console games are focused at kids.

wrong again. the console gaming industry is shifting gears to aim itself at the age group of 16+, since at that age you start earning your own money and your parents don't always have to buy you a game. its a proven fact that aiming games at older audiences is more profitable than aiming it at younger audiences. do some research man...

Dreddz
04-10-2005, 04:40 PM
Trust me
Console games are aimed more at Kids. Well more Nintendo than others that focus on this

YukiKiro
04-10-2005, 09:36 PM
and nintendo is struggling and they make up only about 1/5 of the console gaming buisness, and they're struggling because a) they're concentrated on gaming only and b) their games are aimed at younger audiences. don't worry, we can't be right all the time.

Apollo
04-10-2005, 09:56 PM
I voted younger cause I felt like it.

Dreddz
04-10-2005, 10:46 PM
I voted younger cause i am one

strawberryman
04-11-2005, 03:23 AM
Generally the older generation ("old" being an extreme misnomer) of gamers remember and are more likely to appreciate older games without flashy graphics and asinine, nonexistant plotlines.
True that.
People have been making less emphasis on storyline lately. And that makes me sad. :(

Lionx
04-11-2005, 04:28 AM
I am sure Resident Evil and Doom are aimed at young kids :edm: :monster:

MecaKane
04-11-2005, 04:37 AM
I am sure Resident Evil and Doom are aimed at young kids :edm: :monster:
Not to mention Halo 2 and San Andreas and the garbage trucks full of money they made last year.

Erdrick Holmes
04-11-2005, 04:55 AM
Which SA doesn't deserve.

MecaKane
04-11-2005, 05:08 AM
Of course not.
Why should anyone buy a game that has so many levels of customization, so many different things to do, so many ways to do them when they can buy a FIGHTING GAME! Where you do one thing! And since you'd prefur it to be a 2D one that one thing isn't even done all that well.

Del Murder
04-11-2005, 05:29 AM
I was much better when I was a teenager. My little brother kicks my ass at most games.

Erdrick Holmes
04-11-2005, 05:49 AM
The older gen gamers are better because they played games longer.

Martyr
04-11-2005, 05:51 AM
I know lots of young gamers and old gamers alike. Both have their masters.

I voted older because the older games are mainly more difficult.

But now I'm having second thoughts.

Maybe it was hard to beat those older, hard-ass games for us, but we got them. (I'm in the older crowd). We're proud, we're good, and we're dangerous with our skillz at handling a tough game.

But the newer generation is far more practiced. They go through systems and games with rapid speed, they have the oppertunity to play games on a wider and more competitive scale far more often than we used to. basically, they play a FPS which is easier than an older game after all's said and done, right? But that isn't the challenge. After beating it, they hone their skills against human opponents, who will have greater capacity for difficulty levels than older computer games.

Because of internet and broader multiplayer action of modern games, it is very possible that the new generation of gamers have profound abilities in gaming due to their very practiced abilities and their new type of playing grounds, despite the fact that a game is easier. (Perhaps what I call easiness could simply translate into user compatability and options. If you know what I mean.)

I still say older gamers, but I don't speak with absolute surety.

Rase
04-11-2005, 07:00 AM
I voted "old" because I am. :p

Really though, depends on the game. My dad can go for one hour on Ms. Pac-Man with one quater, and also is okay and Halo 2. But in most "modern" games, I leave him in the dust. I tie, I declare.

Dreddz
04-11-2005, 10:51 AM
The talk about older gamers not looking for flashy graphics is wrong because im 14 and I dont really care what the games look like. As I know alot more people around the same age.

Lionx
04-11-2005, 02:18 PM
Lol that still doesnt mean that we older folks doesnt care less about graphics, you are just saying you younger ones also dont :p

But more often than not, i hear the graphics thing from the younger players. Sure there is a standard in graphics, but i dont think its as important as most of the newer generation of gamers make them out to be since i feel primary factor is fun.

Dreddz
04-11-2005, 06:44 PM
The most important factor in a game is how fun it is the gameplay to me. And most younger gamers agree with me.

Black Mage
04-11-2005, 07:30 PM
You don't know most younger gamers. You don't know most younger gamers agree with you.

Please stop making similar generalizations. It's a terrible argument, and you've used it a multitude of times.

What you should be saying is: "Most younger gamers, that I know, agree with me."