PDA

View Full Version : Advent Children English Dubs

Cloud_Strider
04-04-2005, 01:19 AM
Ok... when I think about it... We're worried about awful voice actors... right? Well, If you look at other Animés such as Nausicaa or Princess Mononoke... even the voice of Rikku in Spirited Away., I don't that Squeenix would screw us over.
I know that the movies mentioned above were made by Studio Ghibli and created by Miyazaki, but if you look at the FF:TSW failure, even that movie had an all-star cast (eg: Donald Sutherland, Alec Baldwin). As E3 closes in and the new issue of Jump magazine with the new info and hopefully the release date, so I'm guessing that soon enough we'll hear who will play these legendary characters..

BackRoomKid
04-04-2005, 01:58 AM
i have no doubt that square will have superb voice actors...they've had a lot of time to prepare (or so it seems) and seeing how the pressure is on for them to surpass Spirts Within...i think they'll do good

yea, i seen those other anime movies, they did good, nothing TOO bad that it distracted me

TheAbominatrix
04-04-2005, 02:33 AM
I dont think we should expect anything other than the normal video game/anime voice acting stock.

Necronopticous
04-04-2005, 02:36 AM
I personally don't care, I already like the Japanese voice actors, so if they get bad English voice actors I'll just stick to the subbed version. I'll get that one loads earlier anyway.

XxSephirothxX
04-04-2005, 03:15 AM
I'd like to see the guy who did Cloud's voice in Kingdom Hearts make a return, because I thought he fit the character very well.

TheAbominatrix
04-04-2005, 03:18 AM
That was Steve Burton. It's extremely doubtful any KH voice actors will be returning, because they were all professional, highly paid actors. It's Disney's clout and cash that got them, not Square's.

Cloud_Strider
04-04-2005, 09:40 PM
If Lance Bass was in AC, I would surely, SURELY declare war on squeenix... thats almost as bad if you had Courtney Love portraying Aeris or something

Destai
04-04-2005, 10:02 PM
If Lance Bass was in AC, I would surely, SURELY declare war on squeenix... thats almost as bad if you had Courtney Love portraying Aeris or somethingWhy?

Mercen-X
04-04-2005, 10:32 PM
Lance Bass is okay, he's just not Sephiroth.
I think Kirby Morrow the voice actor for Miroku on InuYasha and Cyclops on X-Men Evolution would probably make a good Cloud.
I think that Tara Strong who played Rikku would do awesome as Yuffie as well.
I would also pick Kristen Kreuk (Lana Lang) as the voice of Tifa or to star in the live action version.
Jennifer Garner as Aerith and Michael Dorn as Red XIII
Johnny Depp as Vincent and Wesley Snipes as Barrett

What about Danny Cooksey (the voice of Hotstreak on Static Shock) as Rufus?

I definitely beilieve David Kaye (Sesshomaru, INUYASHA) would be great as Sephiroth.

Sephiroths Clone
04-04-2005, 11:06 PM
That was Steve Burton. It's extremely doubtful any KH voice actors will be returning, because they were all professional, highly paid actors. It's Disney's clout and cash that got them, not Square's.

Good point but most of the japanese voice actors were the ones who did it in KH. Personally i really dont want anyone that famous to do any of the voices cuz then i just think of the actor not actuall Cloud. Thats just how i feel.

AkiraMakie
04-05-2005, 01:07 AM
Yeah i wouldnt worry. Whoever distributes Advent Children here will probably do a good job on the voices. i mean, its not like its the early 90's when most of the time, the voice acting was terrible. Anime in america is bigger now. They put more effort into it. Look at cowboy Bebop for example. Excellent Voice acting. I wouldnt worry too much about the voice acting.

TheAbominatrix
04-05-2005, 02:41 AM
Good point but most of the japanese voice actors were the ones who did it in KH. Personally i really dont want anyone that famous to do any of the voices cuz then i just think of the actor not actuall Cloud. Thats just how i feel.

Because that's in Japan, where SquareEnix (and other game and anime companies) have clout. Disney has the money and influence here in America, Square has it in Japan. They can afford, and can get, the big names in Japan. Not to mention that Japan is their primary market and the one they're concerned the most about, so they'll spend the extra money.

As for Lance Bass being Sephiroth, get the hell over it. Grow up. Who the voice actor is has nothing to do with the character he/she portrays. Get over the "omfg he was in n'sync he cant be teh sphiroth noooo!!!"

Cloud_Strider
04-05-2005, 03:12 AM
I'm not being prejudice about Lance Bass being Sephiroth. Its just not his 'role'. And about Michael Dorn being Red... I love that idea. Seriously... He was great playing Worf...

Its just not the part for Lance. I didn't like how it sounded in KH, and AC is a much larger project concerning Sephiroth. One bad voice-over may not make a difference, but it does matter in the overall outcome.

TheAbominatrix
04-05-2005, 03:16 AM
You can barely hear him in KH. He doesnt even speak but a few lines and those are quick and pretty much mumbled.

It doesnt matter anyway, because I doubt Square would bother to shell out the cash for Lance Bass.

Squall of SeeD
04-05-2005, 04:12 AM
I personally had no problems with Lance Bass doing Sephiroth's voice in Kingdom Hearts, and for what lines there were, I felt he did a fine job and that his voice more or less fit. However, that was the Kingdom Hearts design (and would also apply to the Final Fantasy VII design), but for Advent Children, the design of Sephiroth and the Japanese voice actor's voice depth suggest to me that a voice a good bit more deep and "thundrous" might be required.

Folks I'd be likely to pick are as follows:

Cloud: Steve Burton
Aerith: Kirsten Dunst
Cid: Gary Sinise
Yuffie: Kirsty Pape or Tara Strong
Barret: Beau Billingsley
Reno: David Lucas

Sephiroth0027
04-05-2005, 04:17 AM
That's true an all star cast would be awesome, but i think that maybe patrick philpot (played as D in Vampire Hunter D bloodlust) would be perfect for Sephiroth, and maybe even kurt russel for Rude, i can see that pretty well. Or John Rafter Lee for Sephiroth (Played as Jason Wynn in the animated Spawn series) I can think of so many people to play the bad guys though, also Micheal McShane as Cid, or even John DiMaggio for Cid (Played in Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust) which would be totally awesome. And also Seann William Scott as Cloud, he fits pretty well, or even Keith David for Barrett, (played as the Arbiter in Halo 2) and Peter Coyote (played as the pancreatic cancer patient in Patch Adams) as Vincent. Eric Bana for Cloud as well (played as Hector in Troy) these actors would fit pretty well for these characters, but give an opinion if you will, I'm pretty much open for suggestions.

Mercen-X
04-06-2005, 08:19 PM
Michael Dorn being Red... I love that idea. Seriously...
Thx, Cloud_Strider, I put a lot of thought into stuff like this.

Cloud: Steve Burton
Aerith: Kirsten Dunst
Cid: Gary Sinise
Yuffie: Kirsty Pape or Tara Strong
Barret: Beau Billingsley
Reno: David Lucas
Damn!! Gary Sinise! Why didn't I think of him? . . but who're Beau Billingsley and Kirsty Pape?
I'm pretty sure I've heard that name David Lucas before.

Del Murder
04-10-2005, 07:01 AM
I think Clay Aiken is doing the voice of every character. Guy is talented.

Squall of SeeD
04-10-2005, 08:53 AM
Damn!! Gary Sinise! Why didn't I think of him? . . but who're Beau Billingsley and Kirsty Pape?
I'm pretty sure I've heard that name David Lucas before.

Beau Billingsley did the voice of Jet Black in Cowboy Bebop. Kirsty Pape did the voice of Yuka Sugimoto in The Twelve Kingdoms.

David Lucas/Steven Jay Blum has done many things, ranging from the voice of Spike in Cowboy Bebop to the voice of Yamaki in the third season of Digimon to the voice of Eikichi Onizuka in GTO.

Drift
04-10-2005, 06:08 PM
original japenese actors + english subtitles will do me i find it beta to watch in the original language :P

Vyk
04-10-2005, 06:40 PM
I'd actually be willing to bet the English dialogue to be just as good if not better than the original. The only problem being it's CG. I don't know if they're gonna bother re-animating mouths, so it'll look noticably more off-sync than the typical anime. But with a film this anticipated, voice acting is a shoe in. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney themselves teamed up with Square again. With the money that's guaranteed to be raked in off this, it'd be worth shelling out cash for a worthwhile cast. They've done a superb job with their Ghibli lisence, and never even wanted to edit anything, despite the fact that they weren't even allowed. It all worked out, and I'm sure the same would apply here.

Mercen-X
04-11-2005, 12:20 AM
Okay, so far . . .

Cloud: "Steve Burton"
Tifa: "Kristen Kreuk" hasn't been thwarted
Aeris: "Kirsten Dunst"
Barrett: I still think "Wesley Snipes" (I know who Jet Black is, I don't think Beau's voice syncs up with Barrett)
Red XIII: "Michael Dorn"
Yuffie: "Tara Strong"
Cait Sith: has to sound like a toy, so I'd at least suggest a girl (they seem to do really well as the voice of toys)
Vincent: "Johnny Depp"
Cid: "Gary Sinise" (I like it)

Rufus: (if he's really gonna be there) "Danny Cooksey" or "Justin Cook" or some other actor who sounds like a little punk
Reno: "David Lucas"
Rude: "Laurence Fishburne" (I know Rude doesn't talk much, but he does talk)

Sephiroth: (I don't know if he has a speaking role) "David Kaye"

Sephiroths Clone
04-11-2005, 01:33 AM
Yea that sounds cool, but whos David Kaye?

Big D
04-11-2005, 03:37 AM
Sephiroths Clone, you really ought to use a different font colour. I have to highlight your posts before I can read them:p

Michael Dorn would be excellent as Red XIII. Never thought about it before, but now that it's been mentioned... he'd be perfect.

Tara Strong would be perfect for Yuffie. She's great at that kind of character.

Cait Sith, if he even appears in the film, could be voiced by Greg Proops. He's got a distinctive voice, and he's actually played a cat before (although not a mechanical cat), in the radio comedy Seymour the Fractal Cat.

fire_of_avalon
04-11-2005, 07:41 AM
Michael Dorn as Red XIII? My god, I think I'm in love.

Mercen-X
04-11-2005, 08:32 PM
Yea that sounds cool, but who's David Kaye?

There's a show on @ midnight called InuYasha on the Cartoon Network. (actually, @ midnight it's called AdultSwim.)
David Kaye plays the voice of Inuyasha's practically emotionless brother, Sesshomaru who is always trying to steal his legendary weapon. (actually, recently, he's seemed to have stopped trying.)

. . . and revisting Rufus. If he really is that guy in the wheelchair as some have come suggest, maybe his voice would be more raspy than that of some punk.

amratis
04-11-2005, 09:57 PM
thats almost as bad if you had Courtney Love portraying Aeris or something

Wow...what a good idea. ;)

As I've said before, I dont mind either way about the voice actors, or wether its dubbed into english or not. True to my rabid fangirl roots I'd go to watch either and I really wouldnt mind.

Destai
04-11-2005, 10:30 PM
Amra! I thought you were dead!

CloudStrife48
04-11-2005, 11:11 PM
I personally think they will reuse some of the actors that they used in Kingdom Hearts.

Like Yuffie (Christy Carlson Romano), Aeris (Mandy Moore) and Cloud (Steve Burton).

They won't screw us over. Square has enough money to put good people into the perspective slots. :)

EDIT--

I left this out before accidently. In Kingdom Hearts (I'm sure diehard FF fans played it like me) James Lance Bass (Yes the guy from NSYNC :eek: ) was used as the voice for Sephiroth.
Square might re-use him for this movie.

Greiver205
04-11-2005, 11:54 PM
I think they might reuse some of themm but i definitley doubt they would use Lance Bass again...i hope not

amratis
04-12-2005, 10:32 PM

Nope just on holiday :D

And I loved KH Cloud's voice. Steve Burton would be great for AC but I doubt he'll be there. Unfortunetly :(

Destai
04-12-2005, 10:35 PM

Nope just on holiday :D

And I loved KH Cloud's voice. Steve Burton would be great for AC but I doubt he'll be there. Unfortunetly :((Well in that case I'll want my money back) :mad: :chop:

amratis
04-13-2005, 10:45 AM
Money back? Have you payed for it allready? :D ;)

Mercen-X
04-23-2005, 12:33 AM
Like Yuffie (Christy Carlson Romano), Aeris (Mandy Moore)
I pray to GOD that they don't use CCR again. She may be a decent actress onscreen, but in voice-acting? Pleh!
No one could best the performance of the keen miss Tara Strong.
Besides, Yuffie and Rikku are practically clones.

Raven Nox
04-23-2005, 02:03 AM
I doubt they'll use Tara Strong for Yuffie as she was already in a FF, but I wouldn't mind if they did, Tara Strong's one of my faovrite voice actors, Christy Carlson Romano just isn't as good. and I didn't really like Mandy Moore as Aerith she was ok, but they could've done better, Cloud's voice didn't sit well with me, ok because I didn't think it fit Cloud from an FFVII perspective, but in KH, it did fit. When I complain about english voice actors, it's pretty bad, as I watch alot of anime dubs and like alot of voice actors pretty much everyone else hated. The KH voices weren't terrible, but they could find better.

Mercen-X
04-23-2005, 09:50 PM
I had a difficult time listening to Cloud too (thinking from an FF7 p), I kinda wondered if David Boreanaz, the voice behind Squall/Leon, wouldn't have been better. Then again, I didn't like his acting. "Angel"? great. KH? kinda iffy.