PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty Settings

Cz
04-05-2005, 08:56 PM
When you first bring a game home, what difficulty setting do you play on? Do you like to get the game over and done with on Easy mode, or would you rather challenge yourself and set it to the hardest level straight away?

I like to play through the game on Normal difficulty first of all, then attempting a second run on the highest level to really test myself. This way I can be sure of completing the game, but also keep myself playing for a while afterwards.

How about the rest of you?

Amarant Odinson
04-05-2005, 09:01 PM
I'm the same way. I'll beat it on Normal first, then go for a higher difficulty afterwards. Except fighting games. I'll usually go straight to the hardest difficulty with most fighting games because I find them to be too easy to beat otherwise.

Lionx
04-05-2005, 09:01 PM
If its something i like to go for the story i go easy then go back in hard, other than that, if i am interested, then Hard...

SF III's Gill was pretty hard the first few times.

crashNUMBERS
04-05-2005, 09:11 PM
I leave it normal. But if its a fighting game I put it to the hardest to max out ze skills. But if I am new in it I leave it on normal. After a while I switch... :)

ShunNakamura
04-05-2005, 09:19 PM
If I realize there is a hard-normal-easy option I almost always go hard first... unless it is a first person shooter... or maybe fighting game... or a new genre I am not used to... those games genres aren't my forte... I am much better in strategy/RPG type games, and those I always challenge hardest first.

Now in the event that I get stuck or can't find out how to even play, then I may switch back to normal.

However in most situations I just end up not even realizing that there is even a hard-normal-easy option... I don't really pay much attention.

Shoeberto
04-05-2005, 09:47 PM
Normal, unless I know it's going to be really tough, in which case I go easy.

Very rarely do I play hard mode. I get tired of replaying the same sequences over and over again just to be able to say I beat it on a hard difficulty.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-05-2005, 10:39 PM
I go for Normal mode because that's prettymuch always the way the games were intended to be played. On the rare occasion that Normal is too hard for me, I don't have any problem dropping down to Easy. Hypothetically, if Normal were too easy, I'd just as readily go up to Hard, but I can't think of any games I've played that have had difficulty settings where Normal was too easy. I'll usually only go through the harder modes if there's something to be unlocked by doing so; I don't think I've ever done it for fun.

edczxcvbnm
04-05-2005, 10:41 PM
I usually play a game on whatever I feel like. Resident Evil = Easy or Normal. Ninja Gaiden = Hurricane Pack. Its a matter of how much I give a damn at the time. I only play Halo on Legendary and I wish it was harder yet.

Its wierd with me.

SeeDRankLou
04-05-2005, 10:55 PM
I usually play it on Normal the first time through. I had to put Resident Evil 0 on Easy because I just couldn't get past the first part of the mansion. I was fighting with knives after the train wreck. After I beat it and got better, I played through on normal. That's really the only game I've had to do that for. I like to play through again on Hard if I can, and if available Very Hard. Golden Eye on it's highest difficulty level was hell, but fun. And I still have yet to be able to beat any of the Very Hard settings on SSBM without having to continue.

Dreddz
04-05-2005, 11:03 PM
Depends on the genre or the game. Normally Normal but if its a sequel to a game I played before probably normal but that can change. Most fighting games, FPS and RPG's ( if there are difficulty settings like in Star Ocean ) I'd play on hard first

NM
04-05-2005, 11:19 PM
I usually just play game's on normal. I rarely re-play a game straight after completing it. Only game's I change the difficulty on are 2D beat 'em Ups.

Meat Puppet
04-06-2005, 12:39 AM
I start on easy. If there's anything below easy, I'll put it on that. If I'm feeling a little dangerous, I might venture up and play on normal for a bit.. but.. :greenie:

Lindy
04-06-2005, 12:47 AM
Depends on the game, if it's Capcom, then Normal for their games are pretty much Hard for anything else, so I'll just start on normal.

Since, if you get beaten enough when it's that hard, you'll pick up the ability to play it pretty well and feel all the better for it.

Devil May Cry and Viewtiful Joe spring to mind for that.

But if it's something I'm really awful at, or I just want to play for story, then I'll usually play it on Easy, like Silent Hill games I love for the story and nothing else, so I play them usually on Easy.

Ryth
04-06-2005, 12:52 AM
I play on normal because like Kawaii said its how its pretty much meant to be played and its (usually) balanced.

Psychotic
04-06-2005, 12:58 AM
Normal first time through, then if I want to screw around, such as finding fun ways to kill people, I'll play it again on the easiest setting. Or if I want a challenge I'll crank it up to the hardest setting.

ShunNakamura
04-06-2005, 02:17 AM
Well I usually just start on hard, because on average I find games to be disparingly easy... and I do like a challenge now and again. Of course I will tone it down if I am having serious problems.

square_is_the_best
04-06-2005, 04:08 AM
I go for normal but if the game actually pities me enough to offer an easier difficulty for my sake *cough*DMC3* then I go with that and progressively climb to higher difficulties.

Dreddz
04-06-2005, 10:48 AM
Yer DMC3 is a bloddy hard game. Such as the prevous two bein stupidly easy. They really cranked the game up a notch. But me and my friend still played it through on normal. Might go back to it on hard but dunno if we could do that

Lindy
04-06-2005, 12:48 PM
DMC2 was the pitifully easy one, it sold very well in Japan actually since the Japanese love easy action games.

DMC was hard, try and beat Nelo Angelo, even on normal without some practice and you'll have a lot of trouble. Though, it was a touch slower than DMC3, so it may have seemed easier.

Camanche
04-06-2005, 01:33 PM
Depends on the game for me too. For something like The Third Age, I started off at the Hard difficulty level, and have barely had a problem so far. On the other hand, games like Nocturne make me want to play through the game twice on Normal before I try Hard. :D

Dreddz
04-06-2005, 04:41 PM
DMC2 was the pitifully easy one, it sold very well in Japan actually since the Japanese love easy action games.

DMC was hard, try and beat Nelo Angelo, even on normal without some practice and you'll have a lot of trouble. Though, it was a touch slower than DMC3, so it may have seemed easier.

DMC was an easy game but there were so many different settings which was kinda stupid because most people would have gotten very bored by then to have unlocked them all. But Dante must die mode which I got up to was very hard

ughhis
04-06-2005, 05:08 PM
The hardest one, usually. The GAME OVER screens are so pwetty! :love:

Lindy
04-06-2005, 05:38 PM
DMC was an easy game but there were so many different settings which was kinda stupid because most people would have gotten very bored by then to have unlocked them all. But Dante must die mode which I got up to was very hard
Too many different settings?

You had Easy Automatic, Normal, Hard and Dante Must Die.

Beat Hard and you had Legendary Dark Knight as an extra character, beat Dante Must Die and you had Super Dante who had infinite Devil Trigger.

How is that too many modes?

You beat normal, you get hard, you beat it on hard and you get DMD.

And I found DMD easier myself, since before they devil trigger'd, the enemies were only as powerful as they were in normal.

Levian
04-06-2005, 11:19 PM
It really depends on the game. I play most Resident Evil games on Easy, but on Silent Hill, I choose normal or hard. Easy is just too easy on Silent Hill. :p With the exception of SH 4.

Xander
04-07-2005, 12:35 AM
Ha, I can barely play games on Normal mode, you expect me to choose Hard, that would be suicide. ;__;