PDA

View Full Version : Ozzy, Flea and Slash...

Perducci
04-05-2005, 09:34 PM
Heh, I only just noticed that these three are named after rock stars...

Ozzy - Ozzy Osbourne.
Flea - Micheal Balzary(Flea), Red Hot Chili Peppers.
Slash - Slash, from guns 'n' Roses.

Heh, i'm stupid. I was thinking about Ozzy Being named after Ozzy Osbourne, but I gues Flea and Slash must have somehow crossed my mind. 'twas only when I was playing the game and Listening to one of my Red Hot Chili Peppers albums that I noticed...

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-05-2005, 10:55 PM
Yeah.

http://norbert-x.com/rock/userfiles/Kishi/ct12.png

They were named after condiments in the Japanese version, which added to the game's overall Toriyamaness, but it was just another of the million things Woolsey saw fit to change. Unlike, say, the whole Masamune thing, I don't mind this one.

Super Christ
04-05-2005, 11:09 PM
Yeah, I think it would have been kind of weird if they'd been named after condiments. I didn't make the rockstar connection until someone told me, since I'd never really heard of Slash and Flea.

Now what I never knew until the other day, is that apparantly Needles in Back to the Future is Flea. So now I just don't really know who Slash is.

Perducci
04-05-2005, 11:55 PM
Now what I never knew until the other day, is that apparantly Needles in Back to the Future is Flea. So now I just don't really know who Slash is.

Jah, that's right. He also does the voice for Donny in 'The Wild Thornberry's'. Or so i've been told, anyway.

Anyways... Slash is probably the coolest of the three.

Erdrick Holmes
04-06-2005, 12:44 AM
Toriyama is not good with naming characters. He names everything after food items. Hence forth why half the cast of Dragonball Z is named after food.

Wiegrahf42
04-06-2005, 01:40 AM
Now they need to find their long lost brother Marilyn.

DJZen
04-06-2005, 05:17 AM
Slash, frequently characterized by his long, curly black hair which is always obscurring his face, and his top hat which he doesn't really wear ever, was the lead guitarist for Guns & Roses until Axl "fired" the whole band and replaced them with some unknowns and a guy who wears a KFC bucket as a hat. Slash was better. Slash is currently the lead guitarist for Velvet Revolver, which features Scott Wayland (former lead singer of Stone Temple Pilots and notorious drug addict) on the vocals, and the former members of Guns & Roses.

The "tone deaf" accusation is interesting considering how complicated (and harmonious) many of Slash's solos were, ESPECIALLY against those of his contemporaries. However, this isn't a musical debate.

The REALLY odd part is how Flea is a tranny. There's been plenty of female rockstars Woolsey could have used for a namesake....

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-06-2005, 05:53 AM
Or even crossdressing guys. David Bowie, what?

Meat Puppet
04-06-2005, 08:05 AM
Crossdressing is for rock stars. :cool:

BG-57
04-06-2005, 12:40 PM
That would explain the CC characters named after salt, pepper and ketchup.

So what condiments were Ozzy, Flash and Flea originally named after?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-06-2005, 12:44 PM
Vinegar, soy sauce, and mayonnaise, respectively.

TheAbominatrix
04-06-2005, 12:46 PM
Those CC characters ARE Ozzy, Flea, and Slash.

Fleas = Mayonaisse
Ozzy = Vinegar
Slash = Soy-Sauce

edit: Damn Kishi beat me to it.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-06-2005, 01:12 PM
Those CC characters ARE Ozzy, Flea, and Slash.Pretty sure he's talking about the Solt, Peppor, and Ketchop, the Acacian Dragoons.

TheAbominatrix
04-06-2005, 01:13 PM
Oh them. Silly me! I meant in the Bend of Time.

Good Lord my mind is slipping.

BG-57
04-06-2005, 05:35 PM
In this case I'd say Woolsey's choices were an improvement. Although I usually prefer the translators to preserve the orginal intent of the game.

The CC names bring up an interesting issue. I assume the Dragoons are more or less the original condiment names, but were the dastardly trio renamed again to keep consistant with their names in CT?

All these food names reminds me of Satoru Akahori, who wrote the manga Saber Marionette J and Sorcerer Hunters. Lots of fruit and dessert names in those too (Lime, Cherry, Tiramisu, etc...).

TheAbominatrix
04-06-2005, 05:41 PM
Yes, the 'tone deaf fiends' have their original Japanese names in CC.

It's an Akira Toriama mainstay to name things after food. Many many of the names in Dragonball are names of food. And undergarmets. He's weird like that. I guess the CT developers either let him name a few characters or named them in honor of him.

DocFrance
04-06-2005, 05:41 PM
Or even crossdressing guys. David Bowie, what?
I think naming him "Alice" (as in Cooper) would be more appropriate.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-06-2005, 06:04 PM
Did Alice Cooper ever dress up as a woman, though? I know he put on some eye makeup, but beyond that, I believe his forte was just telling people how he was going to feed them to his enormous Frankenstein monster. Bowie, on the other hand, was all about looking like a woman.

Martyr
04-09-2005, 02:45 PM
Wow. I came to that conclusion a long time ago, and then I decided that it was a ridiculous concluson to come to.

I can't believe I was right when I assumed that I was so wrong.

DJZen
04-09-2005, 05:12 PM
More specifically Ziggy Stardust was all about looking like a woman ;)