PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Vaan's feminism...

squareSOFT
04-05-2005, 10:52 PM
I have noticed that there has been a fair amount of people making jokes about Vaan's feminism. And of cousre there are those who would defend his looks by saying things like "who wants a stereotypical male character?"

My question is this. Are the people who attack Vaan's feminsim being overly critical and sucumbing to the view that every main character should look and act like a total bad ass? Or, are the people defending Vaan defending a badly desined character and maybe are trying to convince THEMSELVES that feminism in Vaan is perfectly fine and that there is nothing wrong with it?

Personally, I think that while Square should not ever create a typical male character I aslo think that there is a certain line of feminism that should never be crossed and that Vaan has long since passed it. But enough about what I think what about everyone else?

Necronopticous
04-05-2005, 10:56 PM
Kuja was more feminine than Vaan will ever be. Personally, I could give a rats ass how he looks.

Alice
04-05-2005, 11:02 PM
hm... the feminism of a character shouldnt matter to people, chances r its people insecure about their own actions taking it out on something so minimal as an imaginary character... sad but it happens :(

its a character and seeing as most of us dont know much about him yet we really dont have alot of room to judge.

Destai
04-05-2005, 11:03 PM
I think he looks more like a monkey like than feminine :greenie: . I dont think theres ever been a manly FF hero.

Necronopticous
04-05-2005, 11:08 PM
I dont think theres ever been a manly FF hero.Fighter, Gus, Butz, Squall, etc. There have been plenty.

kikimm
04-05-2005, 11:40 PM
I don't havea real reason aas to why I make fun of him. Perhaps because he's an easy target? I'm not uncomfortable about myself or anything, not in ways that it would come out with me insulting Vaan. =P

Yeah, I wish he looked more "manly", because pretty boys....eh. This will have no effect, of course, over whether I play the game or not, as I'm not that lame. But it' be kind of nice to see a more gruff looking MAIN character.

:D

Destai
04-05-2005, 11:53 PM
Fighter, Gus, Butz, Squall, etc. There have been plenty.I mean main characters. I didnt think Butz was manly in any particular way and neither Squall. Although Id hate to play a game where the main character was a total brick head.

nik0tine
04-06-2005, 12:12 AM
Remember FF9? Zidane looked pretty feminen before we knew anything about him. That's proof not to judge a book by its cover. Im sure Vaan will be awesome.

Sephiroths Clone
04-06-2005, 01:24 AM
I think he looks more like a monkey like than feminine :greenie: . I dont think theres ever been a manly FF hero.

I agree with u very much. To me he doesnt look that much feminin he looks more like micheal jackson and thats bad. Im not saying black mickeal im sayin the white one.....ya know the one that touches little boys :eek:

TurkSlayer
04-06-2005, 02:11 AM
I don't have a problem with Vaan's feminine appearence. I mean, come on, Kuja was awesome!(though I will admit it scared me the first time I saw Vaan's picture) However, I'm going to be upset if he acts to much like Tidus. I don't dislike Tidus (much), but he's to whiny and a bit preppy in my opinion. I'd prefer someone more like Cloud. And if he's not anything like either of them, than that works too.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-06-2005, 02:50 AM
Good job having no idea what the word "feminism" means, guys.

TheAbominatrix
04-06-2005, 02:52 AM
First of all, this is a Japanese game, and hence the design is distinctly Japanese. They prefer men who are far more feminine. Look at Squall, he had very delicate features and was very slim (and designed after Japanese pop idol Gackt). Take a look at EVERY Amano design for the main hero. Slim, waifish, feminine. Granted, that's Amano's style, but it's a very Japanese thing.

Judging a main character by his looks before the game comes out is beyond childish, but it's something I've come to expect from FF fans.

Drift
04-06-2005, 01:09 PM
but it is true that S-E are starting to make the male characters look a bit too feminine: Zidane n Tidus...tidus in particular such a high voice!

TheAbominatrix
04-06-2005, 01:15 PM
So how wasnt Squall feminine? Because...? He looked pretty much like a girl to me. Pre-FFVII, you couldnt really tell, except in Amano art. Lock was extremely girlish, was were Cecil, Butz, and so on. They've all been very feminine, even Cloud's Amano art (he even looks like he's wearing friggin lipstick), so it's nothing new. It's just another reason to bitch about new games, because now you can actually tell.

Azure Chrysanthemum
04-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Squall was modelled after Gackt? Dear God I've been scarred for life.

In any event, I don't mind the pretty boys so much so long as they're useful and well-developed.

But J-Rockers are icky :cry:

TheAbominatrix
04-06-2005, 05:05 PM
Yep, he was. And I love J-rocker boys.

I'm too lazy to go find one, but if you type in 'Squall Gackt' into the google search engine, you'll find some good examples.

edit: Actually, this is easier. It includes the source of the story: Gackt himself, on a talk show http://www.mahamari.com/story/look.shtml

Destai
04-06-2005, 05:17 PM
Judging a main character by his looks before the game comes out is beyond childish, but it's something I've come to expect from FF fans.Sorry but my response was in good fun. Whats so childish about that and what effect will that have when the game is released? Saying stuff like that over harmless small talk doesnt seem much better.

TheAbominatrix
04-06-2005, 05:39 PM
Sorry but my response was in good fun. Whats so childish about that and what effect will that have when the game is released? Saying stuff like that over harmless small talk doesnt seem much better.

I wasnt refering to you specifically in the least.

edit: And to be more specific, I wasnt refering to any of the joking posts.

Destai
04-06-2005, 06:03 PM
Ah I see, sorry about that. I dont know wether or not you would but I myself get irritated when people complain about unreleased games.

TheAbominatrix
04-06-2005, 06:12 PM
I do as well, which is my point. I dont mind (though it can get old) not liking a character after someone has played the game, but whining that a character 'looks' like he isnt going to be cool before they've experienced it is annoying. They old 'dont judge a book by it's cover' adage applies with video games as well.

Necronopticous
04-06-2005, 06:39 PM
I forgot how hot Gackt was.

TheAbominatrix
04-06-2005, 06:41 PM
I forgot how hot Gackt was.

xD He's freaking gorgeous. Him and Hyde from L'arc~en~Ciel... and Tetsu from that same band... and Miyavi... and I'll shut up now before I derail this thread *scurries away*

Shinobi
04-07-2005, 06:12 PM
It put me off at first but not anymore.

Alice
04-07-2005, 06:54 PM

hahaha yah.. i was wondering about that, but i think the concept got out there :P

Ouch!
04-07-2005, 08:23 PM
Considering Kuja was my favorite character, villain or not, in all of the Final Fantasy games, I think it's pretty obvious that I don't really care how Vaan looks.

I'd never heard of the Gackt/Squall thing but I did google image it and... wow. I'd heard of Gackt, but I never did know what he looked like. The similarities are blaringly obvious.

And yes, Gackt is hot.

Alice
04-08-2005, 07:15 AM
they didnt model squall off of gackt >.< in an interview with gackt, gackt said HE feels he has made an impact on fashion in pop culture, then he referred to a shoot he did with a jacket like squall and noted how similar the clothing was, but in no way was square sitting there modeling characters after a specific someone.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-08-2005, 08:22 AM
Still (http://www.mahamari.com/story/gfx/la_squackt01.jpg), though.

Destai
04-08-2005, 12:17 PM
Square make tons of characters with references in mind. Gackt could easily have been a large reference for making Squall.

fahadalhasan
04-08-2005, 11:53 PM
Well, as people say, 'Who cares?' it is just Vaan! I agree, Kuja was more like a female!

ArchAnemone
04-09-2005, 05:36 AM
Thank you! The word you want is "femininity," guys.

Alice
04-09-2005, 06:05 AM
Square make tons of characters with references in mind. Gackt could easily have been a large reference for making Squall.

give me an example with some sort of proof... I believe that squares characters are 100% original.

Besides, any pictures of gackt that "remind" you of squall could have been him copying him for all we know, not to mention gackt has so much plastic surgery hes a ken doll.

Actually, Vaan isnt all that feminine, just cuz a guy has blonde hair and is shirtless doesnt make him feminine. They arent exactly human either so our ideals of feminine dont necesarily match up with theirs from their world.

rubah
04-09-2005, 07:29 AM
Look at Squall, he had very delicate features and was very slim (and designed after Japanese pop idol Gackt).

I thought it was River Phoenix, or some dude.

And why is it that google was all ready to agree with me a few months ago when it barely wants to mention the names together now? X.x;

Savannah
04-10-2005, 03:39 AM
The only reason he looks like he does is because men who look like women is huge in Japan (look at Gackt). It's not because Square is going against the grain to make a main character that isn't a "typical male."

I'll be impressed if the leading character for FFXIII is a really butch chick.

So how wasnt Squall feminine? Because...? He looked pretty much like a girl to me. Pre-FFVII, you couldnt really tell, except in Amano art. Lock was extremely girlish, was were Cecil, Butz, and so on. They've all been very feminine, even Cloud's Amano art (he even looks like he's wearing friggin lipstick), so it's nothing new. It's just another reason to bitch about new games, because now you can actually tell.

Squall and Cloud (mostly Cloud) didn't look that feminine in the actual games, I don't think. Like you said, slim, waifish and girly is Amano's style, but not game's style. I'm not really sure what Amano's relationship to the characters' designs are, but his are usually very dramatized, feminized versions of the characters.

Sephiroths Clone
04-10-2005, 03:41 AM

I really dont think that that would be likely. It would be very wierd though...

Savannah
04-10-2005, 03:52 AM

I really dont think that that would be likely.

Which is why I said I'd be impressed. :)

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-10-2005, 08:37 AM
Squall and Cloud (mostly Cloud) didn't look that feminine in the actual games, I don't think. Like you said, slim, waifish and girly is Amano's style, but not game's style. I'm not really sure what Amano's relationship to the characters' designs are, but his are usually very dramatized, feminized versions of the characters.Nomura's character design of Squall, which is accurately depicted in the game, looks like a slim, waifish girly man.

Destai
04-10-2005, 02:25 PM

give me an example with some sort of proof... I believe that squares characters are 100% original.

Besides, any pictures of gackt that "remind" you of squall could have been him copying him for all we know, not to mention gackt has so much plastic surgery hes a ken doll.

Actually, Vaan isnt all that feminine, just cuz a guy has blonde hair and is shirtless doesnt make him feminine. They arent exactly human either so our ideals of feminine dont necesarily match up with theirs from their world.Squares a comapny thats notorious for references. I dont mean its characters in general. I mean the references like the ones packed into IX. Go on FFVII citadel, Theyve found a load of possible references to characters names to tie in with that particular character. Being inspired by something doesnt mean you're stealing it.

Savannah
04-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Squall and Cloud (mostly Cloud) didn't look that feminine in the actual games, I don't think. Like you said, slim, waifish and girly is Amano's style, but not game's style. I'm not really sure what Amano's relationship to the characters' designs are, but his are usually very dramatized, feminized versions of the characters.Nomura's character design of Squall, which is accurately depicted in the game, looks like a slim, waifish girly man.

Right. Amano's art is still a huge exagerration of everyone's girly-ness, though, and is his interpretation of the designs, not the actual designs.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-10-2005, 11:10 PM
I didn't say anything about Amano. Squall, as he appears in the game, is an accurate depiction of Nomura's design, which is super-girly.

Savannah
04-11-2005, 01:35 AM
I didn't say anything about Amano. Squall, as he appears in the game, is an accurate depiction of Nomura's design, which is super-girly.

My post was about Amano and how his art isn't that accurate a depiction of FF art, though. I agree that Squall is fairly girly, but that's irrelevant.

Vyk
04-11-2005, 02:38 AM
Personally, the dude looks (to me) like Squall... a lot. 'Cept with blond hair. I could totally picture Squall (sans scar) with bleached hair, no shirt and armored gloves/leggings. They could be twins. Not a big fan of femenine guys, though I don't really care for macho either. I'd rather a normal-esque guy that's in TOUCH with his femenine side. Not exploiting it. Not a trans/homophobe or anything, just my preference. Though upon examination, I really can't see this guy as crossing that line. I don't like him, but I don't think he's "too" femenine. Not really his fault though. I'm just not a huge fan of the world they seem to have created. He's just a part of that world. I think in a different setting, especially with different clothes, I could really appreciate his looks better. Just glad he doesn't have a belly-shirt like tha cry-baby Tidus...

Raven Nox
04-11-2005, 05:03 AM
I couldn't believe every one was saying Vaan looked like a girl... I didn't even THINK about that until someone said that, but I'm around alot of homosexuals, I have friends are are bi... so maybe I'm just used to it... or something... XD

KentaRawr!
04-19-2005, 11:35 PM
Well, I think he looks cool. He looks kinda like a 3D Version of Marche from FFTA, and...well, I forgot his name, but he was the Main Character of FFT. :goomba:

TurkSlayer
04-20-2005, 12:28 AM
well, I forgot his name, but he was the Main Character of FFT. :goomba:

Ramza.

KentaRawr!
04-21-2005, 01:02 AM
Thank you! ^_^ :cat:

UltimateSpamGrover
04-21-2005, 03:22 AM
FF Characters feminine? No, it cant be... -.-

kikimm
04-21-2005, 05:07 AM
Eh, like I said (or tried to say, I don't know) it's all in good fun. Vaan can go ahead and be feminine, as long as he's a well-developed and interesting guy, who I come to care about. :)

I won't even start talking about the Squall/Gackt thing. *shudder* Gackt....there are many fangirls at my school. =D Huh.

:D

TurkSlayer
04-21-2005, 01:16 PM
Thank you! ^_^ :cat:

Your welcome. He actually reminds me a bit of an FFT archer. BTW, do you think anyone would be arguing about this if Vaan just put a shirt on?

KoShiatar
04-21-2005, 01:21 PM
I think he is feminine indeed, but I also think that those japanese boys who are really beautiful may look feminine to the western eye as well.
To me it's not a problem at all. I like that. Also I think he looks like that because he' very young. If you want to know, I also find Cloud from Advent Children pretty feminine indeed. Would anyone say he's not hot because of that?

KentaRawr!
04-22-2005, 02:45 PM
Your welcome. He actually reminds me a bit for an FFT archer. BTW, do you think anyone would be arguing about this if Vaan just put a shirt on?

A Shirt...it's so crazy, it just might work!!

DMKA
04-22-2005, 08:21 PM
Squall was indeed modeled after Gackt. It's been written in press releases and everything, and the developers have even mentioned it.

http://www.mahamari.com/story/gfx/la_squackt02_s.jpg

Tidus was also modeled after Gackt from what I hear, but I never heard that stated by developers, like Squall. I think it's true though, because I remember reading in a magazine before they were talking about Squall and Tidus structure simularities. Then there's this picture from a site I saw long ago that discussed it:

http://pikachan.lardpirates.com/random/gackt/gackt-tidus.jpg

Anyway, pretty boys aren't really my taste, but Ashley is correct. Pretty boys (or "Bishonen") are preferable and looked at as most attractive in Japanese socitey. If you watch anime, you'll notice that most of the guys that are popular or whatever will have the bishi complex. In just about every case I can think of in anime where all the girls were swooning over some 'hunk', he had the bishi complex (Motoki, Mamoru, The Three Lights, every other guy in Sailor Moon). Of course, you do have you're manly men (reffered to as "Bara" as pretty boys are "Bishonen"), like say, Jet Black, but they never end up being the ones all the chicks are after...it's always the bishis.

So it makes perfect sense that FF main heroes tend to have that prettyness to them. As graphics grow more and more superior, the look gets closer to life, thus they get more idealy pretty I guess. That's not to say all FF guys are like this though. There's always the non bishi heroes (Barret, Cid, Amarant, Wakka, Auron, the brown haired guy in this game, ect.), they just never seen to be the main character.

Personally though, I don't care how the main character looks (like Necro stated, he doesn't even begin to rival Kuja in girliness). Especially when there's that masculine brown-haired dude to make up for it. :D

TheAbominatrix
04-22-2005, 10:01 PM
Well said. Your name now stands for Dude May Kiss Ashley. Huzzah! xD

I'd like to find a picture of the girl they modeled Rinoa after. I've seen it before, and the similarities are very striking. As for Tidus, I never heard of the Gackt thing, but he does resemble him, save for his smile and all (Gackt doesnt seem to smile much). I do remember reading something about the character models, but I cant remember.

And, as for the bishonen thing, that's all very true. Pretty much every anime I've even seen has a bishonen guy, usually as the lead male. Slim, attractive, and often feminine (and really, does it get any more feminine than the Three Lights xD?).

DMKA
04-27-2005, 05:17 PM
I'd like to find a picture of the girl they modeled Rinoa after.
http://upload.kamun.com/actorpic/20041113142857_5.jpg

Matsu Tatako.

Skaeve
04-27-2005, 06:07 PM
Just for the record... I think Squall is way more manly than Gackt, i couldn't honesly see he was a man if i saw him in the street. he looks like a transvestite

Yuffie514
04-27-2005, 06:37 PM
Vaan :eyebrow: ? Vaan is like another Tidus, but i favor Tidus:jap: ! check out the clothes and the hair :eek: : Vaan looks like he could take a career in yodeling :sing: :sing: ! come on Vaan, let 'em hear you yodel! won't you yodel one of them Final Fantasy songs 4 me :sing: :laughing: !

TheAbominatrix
04-27-2005, 10:29 PM
I'd like to find a picture of the girl they modeled Rinoa after.
Matsu Tatako.

Thank you sweetums.

DMKA
05-02-2005, 03:24 AM
Vaan :eyebrow: ? Vaan is like another Tidus, but i favor Tidus:jap:
How is Vaan "another Tidus"? Or anything like Tidus for that matter?

(Just for everyone who didn't know, Tidus is not blonde, he just bleaches....seriously, go back and watch the scenes of him as a child, and in certain cinematics, mainly "The Last Chapter", look closely...you can see that it's about time for him to do his roots.)

rubah
05-02-2005, 03:45 AM
I wanna see these press releases-_- google isn't turning up much in the way of things.

and as for a note on vaan's femininity, let's just say he reminds me of harley from boymeetsboy in many many ways.

Sephiroths Clone
05-03-2005, 09:25 PM
and as for a note on vaan's femininity, let's just say he reminds me of harley from boymeetsboy in many many ways.
Wait is that the guy who is a real big tough guy and is Italian? Kind of like the Fonz?

rubah
05-04-2005, 01:31 AM
No, that was Mik. Harley was the blond.

Yuffie514
05-04-2005, 06:20 PM
How is Vaan "another Tidus"? Or anything like Tidus for that matter? (Just for everyone who didn't know, Tidus is not blonde, he just bleaches...

of course i know he's not blonde (Kingdom Hearts, wittle Tidus). i'm just predicting Vaan to be a klutz and a weeny like Tidus. he like a more feminine side of Tidus.

Sephiroths Clone
05-05-2005, 01:35 AM
i dont really see how Vaan can be a klutz being that he is a thief he should be very sneaky and agile and such

DMKA
05-05-2005, 11:20 PM
of course i know he's not blonde (Kingdom Hearts, wittle Tidus). i'm just predicting Vaan to be a klutz and a weeny like Tidus. he like a more feminine side of Tidus.
Eh, maybe...a strange prediction on...what basis though? o__O

I think Vaan is going to end up being revealed a girl like Faris in FFV. That would be awesome.

Or wait we've already seen that he doesn't have boobs. :(

Yuffie514
05-06-2005, 06:02 PM
i don't see how it's strange, but nobody's the same. remember, it's just a prediction, not a prophesy. just look at him smiling. he scares me. i don't want to meet him 'cuz i think he'll give me some "Jesus Juice". :tongue:

DMKA
05-07-2005, 03:10 AM
i don't want to meet him 'cuz i think he'll give me some "Jesus Juice". :tongue:
That's gross.

Mercen-X
05-07-2005, 05:04 AM
Nooj, Baralai, Gippal, Auron, Jecht, Seifer, Ward, Barret, Cid, Yang, Edge, (I haven't played enough the rest to remember the characters) all of these characters a deficit of femininity.

Cecil, Kain, Cloud, Vincent, Sephiroth, Squall, Zell, Irvine, Laguna, Kiros, Tidus, Shuyin were all pretty feminine.

It's fine. Riku is also pretty feminine which is why so many people make those GJ Art Drawings of him and Sora.

I think Cloud and Leon from KH were more manly than they were in previous titles, (in Cloud's case, it may only be because you can't really see his face)

TheAbominatrix
05-07-2005, 05:07 AM
Irvine, Vincent, and Edge most certainly look feminine. Vincent and Irvine especially.

Mercen-X
05-07-2005, 05:10 AM
Edge? Really? You think?

TheAbominatrix
05-07-2005, 05:16 AM
Yep.

Mercen-X
05-07-2005, 05:18 AM
First of all, this is a Japanese game, and hence the design is distinctly Japanese. They prefer men who are far more feminine. It's a very Japanese thing.
I must've been Japanese in a previous life. Not only have I been obessed with Japan for the longest time (actually, when I was small, I thought the Chinese were Japanese and that anime came from Hong Kong), but I've always wished that I looked more feminine. By that, I don't mean I'd prefer to wear girls clothes and swing my hips to and fro as I walk. When I hurt my hands at any time, people around me say, "What's the matter with you?" As if a splash of scalding hot water isn't supposed to hurt. So I say, "It's my hands. They're very delicate." and as I say this, I insert a tone of either sarcasm or pride. hehe.
My dad at one time thought I was worried about looking more feminine. It raised the question, "Do YOU think I look feminine?" I don't remember how he answered exactly, but generally he said no.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-07-2005, 07:06 AM
Well duh, that's the original Japanese concept artwork. They have two kinds. The kind they know the Japanese will like and the kind they know the Americans will accept.It has nothing to do with pandering to specific audiences. That's the original artwork, and if you can't go by that, you can't go by anything. Also, I don't even know where you're coming from with that "two kinds" bit. The only thing I can think of is that Nintendo Power put out some American-made artwork for their features on FFI, FFIV, and FFMQ, but that stuff really should not be considered even in the same league as the official artwork, especially since, at least in the case of FFIV, it looked supremely stupid.

TheAbominatrix
05-07-2005, 07:30 AM
Not only to the Japanese artists not give two shits about what Americans think of their work, IV also came out before FF was even popular in the states. Only FFI had been released for Americans. There arent 'two kinds of art work' for FF. There's Nomura and there's Amano, and both of them come out with plenty of girly characters, which arent altered for American audiences.

Takara
05-07-2005, 04:03 PM
*screeches at Kishi's attachment* NOOOOOOO!!! Not the bad FFIV Nintendo Power artwork! Why does it come back to haunt me! WHY!? *weeps*

Oh, wait, wrong forums. This is FFXII... *coughs* :sweatdrop

I can't decide if Vaan looks feminine or just like he's twelve. Is that a good or a bad thing?

Yuffie514
05-08-2005, 02:40 AM
he scares me. he scares me even more 'cuz he's a thief too.

Vyk
05-08-2005, 04:58 AM
He steals virginity

But I thought he was supposed to be a pirate? An... air pirate? Considering what was released about the plot early in development, I've heard arguments that Square ripped off Skies of Arcadia's plot, at least in the beginning. Something about him wanting to take over his father's position as captain air pirate thing. And then with the female friend and finding some mysterious girl or some such.

TurkSlayer
05-08-2005, 03:07 PM
He steals virginity

But I thought he was supposed to be a pirate? An... air pirate? Considering what was released about the plot early in development, I've heard arguments that Square ripped off Skies of Arcadia's plot, at least in the beginning. Something about him wanting to take over his father's position as captain air pirate thing. And then with the female friend and finding some mysterious girl or some such.

He,s a theif that WANTS to be a sky pirate. Balfear is the actually sky pirate.

Yuffie514
05-09-2005, 03:34 AM
He steals virginity

he ain't good enough for me.

TasteyPies
05-09-2005, 03:02 PM
He steals virginity

he ain't good enough for me.

Me either

Yuffie514
05-09-2005, 03:56 PM
[QUOTE=Yuffie514]I think Vaan is going to end up being revealed a girl like Faris in FFV. That would be awesome.

pah! why does he need boobs for, his Job should've been placed as a songstress!

Destai
05-09-2005, 04:36 PM
[QUOTE=Yuffie514]I think Vaan is going to end up being revealed a girl like Faris in FFV. That would be awesome.

pah! why does he need boobs for, his Job should've been placed as a songstress!
Expect plot twists 0.o

Yuffie514
05-09-2005, 04:44 PM
change genders or a shocking episode of "I'm Not Really Who You Think I Am"? i'm hoping Vaan will say "i like to wear women's pink underwear."

Mookies
05-10-2005, 09:07 AM
i'm hoping Vaan will say "i like to wear women's pink underwear."

Have YOU got a problem with me ?

Yuffie514
05-10-2005, 06:35 PM
oh no, it's the attack of the Pink Underwear Squad :eek: :D !

Vyk
05-10-2005, 08:20 PM
They're called panties...

hillarychick250
05-17-2005, 05:19 AM
hey guys i hate to burst your bubble BUT a lot of those ff characters look childish which can be past off as "feminine" like cloud in FFVII: AC. He looks a lot younger than he is not feminine. And plus I don't if its just me or what but a lot of Japanese guys look kinda feminine.

Vyk
05-17-2005, 07:08 AM
Yeah, its a Japanese thing. Mostly an art expression for some reason. So you see it more in music and actual art (drawings, renders, anime, etc.) But... I don't think Cloud looks femenine. And not really "more" femenine than he did in the original. And especially not when compared to Vaan XD

Gwelenguchenkus
05-17-2005, 08:41 AM
And plus I don't if its just me or what but a lot of Japanese guys look kinda feminine.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Gackt does not = all japanese guys.

I did a random google search on 'japanese'.

Do any of these guys look feminine to you?

http://kmt.hku.nl/~bobby/anifest/images/anifest047-bobby%20and%20the%20japanese%20gang.jpg

TheAbominatrix
05-17-2005, 09:00 AM
It's a prevailing factor in their famous males. It's what a lot of girls are attracted to. It's not everyone, ever, and she only said a lot anyway. Girls over here like guys that look like Brad Pitt, but not all Americans look like Brad Pitt. Our game character designs rarely reflect the majority of Americans, but instead reflect what Americans like.

Blitzball Hooligan
05-23-2005, 04:11 AM
I just think he looks kinda creepy, in a Michael Jackson way.

Gwelenguchenkus
05-23-2005, 09:33 PM
It's not everyone, ever, and she only said a lot anyway.

She only said a lot, and I don't think that is true, either. Do the popular japanese models make up a majority of the population? I think not. Take a look at the people walking down the streets in Tokyo, and tell me the guys look feminine. It's total bullcrap.

The feminine look is quite popular, sure. However a majority of these people that everyone says looks feminine, don't look feminine at all to me. Maybe I'm just used to it?

Vincent, Cloud, Squall, Zidane (more deformed looking than 'feminine') and even Tidus don't look feminine to me. At all. Not even remotely feminine at all. I don't see what you see. Do you have to be growing a beard and have huge bulging muscles with boney, rugged facial features to look masculine? Reality check: most people I see every day don't look like that, and I rarely see anyone(guys) who looks feminine.

However, Vaan does look pretty feminine to me. He has pretty feathery light hair and smoothed out features. I don't get that impression from the other male protagonists in the series.

TheAbominatrix
05-23-2005, 11:34 PM
And I already explained that. They dont design their characters to look like the average Joe. No one does. Do the people in any games look realistic, given the average population? No. Because people wanna see what they see as beautiful, not what they see every day. Video games and films are escapes from reality, a look and experience of another world, and their beautiful people are reflected as such. We see it everyday, in fashion magazines, in tv ads, in everything. And in Japan, that beauty is a feminine guy.

So, as I already said in the previous post; what society DESIRES does not reflect what society IS. You'll never walk down the street to see girls looking like Britney spears... you will, however, see girls emulating her; hairstyle, clothing, make up, and attitude. You do see a lot of that in Japan.

They all look extremely feminine to me, especially, as I said, the Amano art. They all have delicate features, and honestly the muscles have nothing to do with that. Their features are still soft.

If those faces dont look at all feminine to you, fine. Cloud's face even strongly resemble's Vaan's, though the cheeks are a bit fuller and he of course doesnt have the skin deal

Tidus1456
05-28-2005, 10:16 PM
I've seen a few pic's of him and he does look a lil like a tranny no offence but he does lol or maybe hes been smokin to much weed heck what do we know they mite change it they mite not would it stop u buyin the game?? u have probly played ffx-2 and u use women on that what's the biggy about usin a guy who looks like a girl lmao (maybe he's just an 11 yr old who didn't get much seep and his sister put make up on him lmao)

TheAbominatrix
05-28-2005, 11:36 PM
They arent going to change it.

Tidus1456
05-29-2005, 12:50 AM
what ahhhh no im not buying it NOT like I said it dont make a diff if he looks like that u tellin me that u have never seen weird looking person in ne of the final fantasy game's look at the guado in ffx they r freaky looking with sum even weirder hair style's lol

ShunNakamura
06-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Alrighty... if that guy looks like a female to ya'all.. then I am in a crapload of trouble. I see guys with more feminity on the street all the time. Jeez... I you guys get me all hyped up for nothing.

what he looks like to me is a young teen... Baby-faced if you will.

King~Philip
07-01-2005, 08:16 PM
I Think all the FF characters (especially boys) are made to look more younger than their age <_<...

..I dont know why square does that...

NeoCracker
07-26-2005, 02:02 PM
Alrighty... if that guy looks like a female to ya'all.. then I am in a crapload of trouble. I see guys with more feminity on the street all the time. Jeez... I you guys get me all hyped up for nothing.

what he looks like to me is a young teen... Baby-faced if you will.

IF you could show me a large number of men that look more femmy than Vaan, I will personally claim i will date one, (Claim being the Key Word)

Anyway, even though he looks femmy doesn't mean he will be femmy. Square is pretty good at working the characters to act in a way that fits the way they look without making them act femmy, such as Kuja who i am noticing is used quite a bit in this forum, Maby they should bring in a Kuja Look alike in ff12. Back on Topic, Though he may be the Femiest looking one yet, it doesn't lower my expectations.

And one more thing, Vincent looks Feminin? NEver noticed that one myself.

TheAbominatrix
07-26-2005, 02:05 PM
I really wouldnt be suggesting that, considering there are many men who can (and do) easily pass for women.

Vincent looks very feminine. He has a soft face and very gentle features. It doesnt show much in the game, but it shows very easily in AC.

Kamiko
07-26-2005, 05:58 PM
Alot of times, the characters strongly resemble people in popculture at the time.
EX:
Tidus
http://finalmangatop.free.fr/FF10%20tidus%201.jpg
And Gackt
http://scape.us/images/gackt/gallery/just_bring_it/g-jbi-8.jpg
When you see them move etc... it really resembles. Although I guess you could argue that Gackt kind of resembles Squall too...

NeoCracker
07-26-2005, 06:03 PM
What is that guy in the second picture smoking? HE should pass some of ut my way :D

KoShiatar
07-26-2005, 08:51 PM
Vincent looks very feminine. He has a soft face and very gentle features. It doesnt show much in the game, but it shows very easily in AC.

Truly. Even though if you look at him in Dirge of Cerberus, they made him look somewhat more masculine...I couldn't really tell how, but he's different.

Kamiko
07-26-2005, 09:53 PM
Tidus also looks like a girl, apparently. I never thought so until a friend of mine from school saw him and said "Who's that girl? I like her hair!" :fphigh:

FranXII
07-30-2005, 03:43 AM
I find that very mean :( I don't ike it when people make fun of other people T_T